Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2776
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:2 Aug 2005 13:25:05 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. OEM Carpets and aftermarket carpets(was: Musty odor)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. RE: Re: Steering shake
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

4. RE: Re: Steering shake
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

5. NC Gathering
From: Randy Harriman <randyharriman01_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Re: Steering shake
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Followup on transmission flange seal fix
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

8. Re: OEM Carpets and aftermarket carpets(was: Musty odor)
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Re: NC Gathering
From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net

10. Re: OEM Carpets and aftermarket carpets(was: Musty odor)
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Re: Steering shake
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. RE: NC Gathering
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

14. fuel baffled
From: "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: Steering shake
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Re: Steering shake
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

17. Re: Re: Steering shake
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Horn replacement
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: fuel baffled
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

20. Backwards temp gauge
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: Followup on transmission flange seal fix
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

22. DMC Wedding...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

23. Re: [doc] sheered bolts
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

24. Re: Backwards temp gauge
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:03:57 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: OEM Carpets and aftermarket carpets(was: Musty odor)

Three different carpets styles/colors exist for the DeLorean.

All 1981 and 1982's up to 10574 used a coarse dark grey (for black
interiors) or light grey (for grey interiors). The balance of the 1982
and all 1983 models used a smooth (for lack of a better word, though
once you've seen them both you'll know) light grey color regardless of
the rest of the interior color (black or grey). It was this carpet
color in the '82 and '83 cars with black seats that started the "two
tone" interior talk you'll hear from time to time.

In the early carpets, the passenger (RH) side floors are no longer
available NOS.

Also, the passenger (RH) side door sill carpets are no longer
available NOS.

In the late grey carpets, several pieces are no longer available NOS.
These are: rear bulkhead (wall underneath rear window), cubby hole
cover, LH and RH wheel arches, and passenger side (RH) door sill.

The missing early carpets are being re-manufactured. These will be
molded pieces, just like the originals, and not sewn or stitched.
Expect availability is first quarter 2006.

There is a place in Florida that sells a set of aftermarket carpets
that are sewn, not molded, and we've seen a couple of them fitted to
cars that have come in here. I think they fit like an oversized
sweater. Very loose and tend to flop around a bit. Maybe it was the
installer, maybe it's the product, YMMV.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:06:51 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors

I'll second this...I have never seen a cleaned set that will perform
as well as a new set. This is based on experience with my own DeLorean
as well as having seen customers cars come in "having just been
cleaned) and with an invoice from the company that did the work.

As an aside, I have an older 928 with the CIS injection, and it's the
same with those injectors, too.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

>> Paul,
>> Here's my two cents on this topic.
>>
>> If those are the original fuel injectors don't bother wasting time

or money

>> on cleaning them. I tried cleaning mine first, and they were pretty bad,
>> which did help. I wasn't thrilled still on the performance of the

engine and

>> then replaced mine with new injectors. That made the biggest

difference in

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:19:14 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Steering shake

I had a shaking problem also.  Tires in conjunction with the tie rod ends
being worn was the cuprit.  Replaced all and the car drove like new.

Jeff in NC

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:21:23 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

I also wanted to add that front end alignment is crucial.  A few adjustments
even by one whole thread on the tie rod will make a huge difference.  The
job is fairly easy to do as long as the steering wheel is centered it is
very easy to do by eye if you've had experience before.  I musta done
atleast 5 of these alignments.

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Randy Harriman <randyharriman01_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: NC Gathering

Was just wondering where the May 2005 gathering of 6
Deloreans was in NC?  There are several owners here in
southwest VA who would like to get together with other
owners not too far away; NC might be do-able.

Barry Hartman
Roanoke, VA
#10597
barryh334_at_dml_hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Good call.  Similar to Eric's experience, I as well
had this experience just 3 weeks ago when I drove from
Pensacola to Tallahassee to meet another owner.  I was
3 exit #'s away from him, when my car was shaking
REALLY badly.  My doors were shaking, the binnacle was
shaking, the speedometer was jumping +,- 10mph, - I
couldn't even read my temp gauge.  I honestly was so
frightened I pulled off early into a huge parking lot.
 By Casey's advice, he told me to check the tires for
any abnormal bumps or rounded areas, and sure enough -
on the rear tires that have been on the car since I
bought it 11/03 - there was a HUGE bump on the
driver's side rear tire.  It was so large that the
steel belt was visible and was beginning to snap
apart.  Good thing I had my spare and a can of fix a
flat available that day.  Got brand new BFG Goodrich
Radial T/A's for replacements - all 4 tires are A-OK
now =), and the shaking never came back.

Check your tires - NOW.  Don't drive the car again
until you inspect all 4 - it isn't worth risking a
blowout.

Jeremiah

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:44:47 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Followup on transmission flange seal fix

Some time back I asked the group for some details on the stainless
sleeve that Rob Grady sells to improve the seal at the flange for
drive axel.

I'm happy to report that together with a new replacement seal that
the sleeve fixed my seeping transmission seal problem slicker than a
whistle. There were no surprises with installation of the setup and
it went together like a dream. I can see why they warn you to be
careful getting it started on the shaft straight, but I had no
trouble getting it on straight the first time and tapped into place.

My final drip I'm fixing next weekend is some weeping at the crank
seal behind the main belt pulley. I'm sure this has been posted
before, but I seem to have no luck using the Yahoo search engine
(and I think the DMCNews one might be a little stale), BUT -- what
is the nut size on the main crank? I'll need to swing by and pick up
the proper socket for my impact wrench, and I'd like to ensure I get
the right one the first time. Is a pulley puller needed to get the
pulley off after the nut is removed or is it held in plce by the nut
only (not pressed on)?

For those that are wondering what kind of POS I'm working on, it's
my daily driver that has roughly 175,000 miles on it. I think having
to replace a transmission flange seal after that kind of use seems
pretty reasonable. I finally replaced my original Moto alternator a
couple weeks ago as well, and I'm pretty satisfied getting 175K
miles of service out of it. After having my friend's Porsche on my
lift this weekend, I have really come to appreciate how serviceable
our DeLoreans are.

    Knut

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:46:45 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I agree - the Florida (Hydro-E-Lectric) aftermarket carpet is what is
in last year's Raffle Car (Hi Shannon!). It looks acceptable, but it's
not exactly a factory fit. Gluing it in place might help. But if your
carpet is trashed and/or eaten by battery acid (or mice) it's all there
is for the time being. It will be nice to have a better OEM fit molded
carpet available.

Dave Swingle

-------------

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:52:03 +0000
From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: NC Gathering

Hi Barry,
     The NC gathering in May was at my house in Winston-Salem, NC.  It was organized by Louie Golden in Charlotte, NC.  The majority of the owners that day were from the Charlotte area.  We decided to have it in W-S, b/c I had plently of room for the cars and the neighbors didn't mind that we tinker with the cars.  We had a cookout, driving tour on country back roads, and worked on cars until 11:00 pm!  All attendees were mailed a DVD documenting the days events, compiled and edited by my sister.  I think everyone had a good time.  We could have easily had 3 more cars that day, but the other 3 owners had previous plans.  There is not a formal club at this point in NC, but one may be materializing soon?  Active members on the DML may choose to do another meet sometime in the near future.  Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the next one, if it happens this year.  Maybe next year?

Regards,
Darren Decker

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:31:20 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "James Espey" <james_at_dml_u...> wrote:

>> There is a place in Florida that sells a set of aftermarket carpets
>> that are sewn, not molded, and we've seen a couple of them fitted to
>> cars that have come in here. I think they fit like an oversized
>> sweater. Very loose and tend to flop around a bit. Maybe it was the
>> installer, maybe it's the product, YMMV.
>>
>> James Espey

Its the installer... the carpets fit very nice... I installed my own
and was very impressed with the fit and finish.  I'm sure the new ones
will be first class, but in the meantime... these are very nice for the
price.

Ron
www.gullwingmagazine.com
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:53:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Steering shake

Tires can certainly cause shaking but if there is ANY play or
looseness in the steering or front suspension once it starts shaking
there is nothing to stop it! You need to check the steering u-joints,
the rack, the tie rod ends, control arm bushings, and sway bar
bushings. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while
you look at every part for "lost" motion. You will not hold an
alignment if you have loose, worn, or bad parts. You should also check
for a bent rim and wheel bearings. Very common to have a bent lower
control arm, it happens when a tow truck operator pulls on them. A
rotten front end is also possible. With all the parts you replaced it
is possible either a part is bad or not the correct one and can cause
problems. You should have had an alignment done with all the parts
that were replaced. Did he use the correct specs? On 1 car I did one
of the bolts holding a u-joint to the shaft was loose. Once I
tightened it up all the play and all the shaking was GONE.

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:20:23 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)

Thank you Jeff Friday. Good thing you told me to check the timing,
must have been around 40 degrees (!). So I adjust it back to 13, it
idles smooth, and so far has been starting up quickly (tomorrow
morning is the ultimate test). Also readjusted CO. But it now back
fires more anytime you let off the gas (it backfired before but not
nearly as much), AND I'm lacking serious power- I'd step on the gas
before and the car would boogie, now it's sluggish. I changed the
advance diaphram last year so I know that it's good (will double check
tomorrow), vac lines are silicone. Any suggestions? Thanks again!
-----Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

>> I had a problem just like this on one of the cars I serviced.  It

popped and

>> ran really rough unless I aligned the distributor all the way over

to one

>> side of the alignment area.  The distributor was off by one tooth

where it

>> meets the camshaft.  I pulled the distributor and aligned the motor

by hand

>> (valve cover on the right side off to check valve movement and be

sure the

>> motor is on the right stroke) once I reinstalled the distributor the
>> position of the rotor was a bit away from the center and I checked the
>> timing after the car was running.  I had to move the distributor a few
>> millimeters or so over once the car was running but we hit a perfect 13
>> degrees and the car started and ran perfectly from then on out.
>>
>> Be sure to use the 13 degree mark and not the 0 on the timing plate.

 You

>> can pick up a cheap timing light from any autoparts store.  Also when
>> aligning the cranksahft pulley be sure your using the mark on the

right of

>> the pulley not the one to the left of it...that mark is for the

number 6

>> cylinder.
>>
>> Jeff in NC
>>
>> P.S. Also you may have to readjust your CO once the distributor is

aligned

>> properly.  CO balance is very inportant.  You can smell the exhaust

and tell

>> right away if it is too rich if it burns your eyes to be near it.  Also
>> gauge the heat with your hand.  I don't personally know your mechanical
>> ability but that's a trick I use.  An easier way to get proper CO if

you

>> don't have the device to measure it in the exhaust is to listen for the
>> Frequency Valve.  It will cease to make a continuous buzzing noise

if too

>> rich.  play with the CO screw making 1/8 turns and listen to both

the engine

>> and the Frequency Valve when you hit the sweet spot it will be just

below

>> the sound of the valve cutting off as you rotate counterclockwise from
>> richer to lean.  The instant the valve comes on and remains constant

once

>> the car is warmed off, stop and cover the access hole.  The car will

run

>> perfectly from that point out.
>>
>> Unless you have a problem with the O2 Sensor and in that case

replace or

>> unplug.  Unplugging forces the car to a default rich mixture and the
>> Frequency Valve buzzes to life.  We used that solution on a couple

cars here

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:20:30 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Hey Barry,

It was in Charlotte NC.  All the guys would most likely be up for an even
larger gathering with our neighbors in Va.  I'm pretty sure that it's only
about 2 hours on I 85 S to get here once you cross the border.  Just post a
thread here about a date you guys might have in mind and I'm sure we can all
find an agreeable one.  There's a huge car show about 30 minutes north of
Charlotte 1st Saturday of every month.  Usually has about 200-300 various
makes and about 1,000+ people in attendance.  A huge convoy of DeLoreans
would make the paper for sure and possibly the local news.

Let us know.

Jeff in NC

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:25:37 -0000
From: "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: fuel baffled

Hey -
how do you get the fuel baffle out?  It's too big to
come out the fuel pump hole.  I suppose this is a dumb
question but it's not obvious to me.
Thanks.

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks Eric.
My tires are reletively new.  I got them about 3 or 4 years ago and they probably have around 10,000 miles on them.  So i hope it not the tires.

Erik

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:41:29 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Holy Smokes!

why Why WHY would anyone continue to drive a car that
behaves like this?!?  If your handling is so bad you are
seeing double, STOP THE CAR!!!  DON'T CONTINUE
TO DRIVE IT!!!   THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!  IT IS
VERY UNSAFE!!!

Do yourself, your car, and anyone you may hit or run over
a favor and get problems with steering and brakes fixed
as soon as possible and park the car until you do.  A properly
maintained DeLorean (or any other car, for that matter)
should have NO shimmy, vibration, pull, or other handling
quirks in normal driving.  If your car is doing this, it is trying to
tell you it has a problem.

Listen to the car and get it fixed - please.

-------------- Original message from "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:55:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks!
My car drove fine before all was replaced.  Fine meaning it didn't shake.  I'm going to check into getting ANOTHER alignment.  My first alignment was done a few weeks ago, but afterwards realized that a few things underneith weren't right so I had to do some fixing.  Might be possible that the small adjustment that I did caused a problem.

Erik

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:29:02 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Horn replacement

It seems both of my horns died at the same time. I didn't believe it
either, but I'm getting +12v and a good ground at both horn locations.
Pulled & bench tested them and they're completely dead. So, it's time
for new horns.

What is the recommended replacement? Are there any louder and/or more
exotic sounding upgrades available?

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 03:56:16 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: fuel baffled

You've got to take it apart piece by piece inside the tank. When it
comes to pulling out the baffle you'll have to bend it kind of in
a "U" to fit it through the hole. Same thing with the bottom piece of
the baffle, take that off first and pull it through before the baffle
itself. Wait till your reserve light is on before you do this, saves
your skin if you don't have chemical resistant gloves. -----Dani B.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_y...>

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:10:17 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Backwards temp gauge

I was working on my horn tonight, screwed up in testing and blew the
fuse to the horn. When it happened, the needle on my temp gauge
flipped around. I replaced the fuse and reminded myself to be more
careful, but now the temp gauge needle is backwards - pointing toward
the speedometer. If I turn the ignition on, it moves like it should,
but points down and to the right.

Any thoughts? Is this something that can be corrected, or did my
carelessness just cost me a new instrument cluster?

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 04:13:52 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Followup on transmission flange seal fix

I believe it's 36mm. I got mine at advance auto, both impact and
regular 36mm sockets. Haven't tried to pull the pulley, I needed the
socket to turn the crank, was planning on replacing the seal behind
the pulley but turned out to be something else leaking so I never had
to pull the pulley. I'm sure you'll need a puller though. I have yet
to work on an [undamaged] engine where the crank pulley just slides
right off. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:44:56 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: DMC Wedding...

(Moderators note:  I'm sure many subscribers are happy for these two fellow DeLorean enthusiasts but it might be best if further correspondences to them regarding this be done as private emails.

Bruce Benson, current moderator.)

Dear Lists,

With great excitement and anticipation I am officially announcing my
engagement to fellow DML/DMCForum'er Flavia Vianna.  I figured it was
appropriate to post this here, as a lot of you are more like close
friends and family to us than simple e-mail addresses.  Anyway, I'm sure
many of you met her at Pigeon Forge, other DeLorean events, or have seen
her posts online.  If you have, you've surely seen the enthusiasm she
shares for our cars and for a certain movie that shall remain nameless.
For those of you who don't know Flavia, she is also the most amazingly
intelligent, attractive, funny, and loving person I know.  I asked her
to marry me this July and she accepted!  I wanted everyone here to be a
part of this very happy occasion in our lives.  Maybe in more ways than
one...

Since we are both huge DeLorean fans, we would like to ask and see if
there are any owners out there who would be willing to join us for our
wedding next year in Cincinnati.  We would ask you to bring your cars to
participate in a tribute to the object that brought us together.  Right
now we are still working out all those details, but we will most likely
be doing this thing in May, before Eurofest...maybe as a warm up event.
If you're going to be in or around Cincinnati that month, and like free
food, please consider joining us!  Please reply, offlist, to my e-mail
address (jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net) if you think this is something you might
want to join us for  We will keep you apprised of our schedule, once you
have replied.

Sincerely,
Josh

Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:22:06 +0100
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [doc] sheered bolts

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

- I will find a machine shop and have some stainless threads 'inserted' into
the original locations along the spoiler and then use stainess nuts.
- The grill will have matching steel threads applied, it will be repainted
after prepping and then copper grease will be applied to the threads with
stainless nuts.

The cowling is held in place by 4x threaded bolts that are screwed into
rivnuts.  I have found one that is loose enough for the washer to twidle but
cannot be undone as the rivnut must be turning too.  What would be the best
way forward?

Thanks in advance

Chris H
vin5255

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:04:03 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Backwards temp gauge

If anything you'd need to replace the gauge itself, not the whole
cluster. I'm guessing you haven't installed pins to keep the temp
gauge in the correct range? The needle for my temp gauge would always
spin around after I shut off the car; getting stuck straight down.
Every time I went for a drive I'd have to slam the cluster with my
hand a few times and finally it would click to the correct temp. Take
the gauge out, drill a small hole a little after the end and beginning
of the temperature range, cut small pieces off of a paper clip and
glue them in place. Make sure they are in a position that will stop
the needle from traveling beyond, I almost drilled too far that the
tip of the needle would just have missed and would have kept going.
Even if this isn't the problem, I'd recommend doing this for all your
gauges. I can show you a picture of what mine looks like with the pins
installed if you want something as a reference, just ask me offline. --
---Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:49:37 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks for the replies on this issue.  If I change them, are the
injectors and lines easy to replace, or are there suprises when I
get in there.  I plan to change plugs and wires on a few weeks.  If
I can change the injector components at the same time, I'll so it.

Also, I have original waterpump.  It's not leaking, and the car has
27,000 miles on it.  Do I chnage this while I am at it, or should I
leave well enough alone?