Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2781
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:5 Aug 2005 20:39:49 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Weird idle when I first start the car.
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: O Rings
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

3. DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Water pump promotion
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

6. Re: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Replacing Fuel Filter
From: "kenndeal" <kenndeal_at_dml_attbi.com>

9. Fuel Filter
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

10. Re: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

11. 2006 DeLorean Wall Calendar
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

13. Re: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

14. Use teflon thread tape on high-pressure AC hose fittings?
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

15. Re: Replacing Fuel Filter
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: Re: What motor oil to use.
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Use teflon thread tape on high-pressure AC hose fittings?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: Use teflon thread tape on high-pressure AC hose fittings?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

19. Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Weird idle when I first start the car.

This is kind of a "matter of opinion" here.  If you're
used to today's "perfect idle" cars, this will forever
bother you.  A very long explanation short - due to
the lambda system and its properties - this is pretty
much normal behavior for the car.  The lambda system
is a contant "on/off swtich" - adding and taking away
fuel, making the car lean to rich voer and over.
Manual cars seem to runs this circuit a bit more
smoothly than autos as I ahve seen both with the
lambda system hooked up, and it seems auto cars like
to "sputter" just a bit more than manuals.  Anyways,
my opinion is that's perfectly nromal.  Others will
say it isn't, but from my limited experience, this
appears ot be the normal operating procedure of the
lambda system.  Drive your car, enjoy it.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:46:53 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: O Rings

Paul

Depends how for you want to go once you have the manifold off!. Once
you have done it you dont want to go back in there again quickly!!!
Personally i would replace the whole water pump / pump thermostat if
its 25 years old and the 3 new holding on bolts ,the rusty metal pipe
that runs of the back of the pump to the heater core will need to be
replaced, as well as the two hoses off the side of the pump to the top
of the engine block, o rings under the coolant y pipe and its 4no new
bolts to hold it on. Cold start tube to manifold o ring. Manifold 'w'
pipe gaskets. Manifold to engine block 4no holding down bolts. a
LITTLE silicone sealant on o rings helps to stop them moving when
tightning up parts. Dont use oil.Dont reuse old hose clips but
stainless ones.

Some might say this is all a little over board.

But do you want to be stuck doing it without a part because the
origional is rusty or sripped of threads etc etc  :)

I know of 2 friends that didnt replace their pumps at the same time as
the rest of the bits above and this in the last two months alone ,
they both have had to now go back in now there now and replace them  :(

Kind Regards

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...> wrote:

>> I plan to change plugs, wires, rotor, cap, vacuum hoses, along with
>> the two small coolant hoses behind the waterpump in a few weeks.  I
>> have the intake manifold O-rings/gaskets.  Are there other O-rings

or

>> gaskets to be replaced when I do this job?  Also, do I use anything

as

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:46:16 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars

A couple people have asked about the image used in this month's
wallpaper image:

http://delorean.com/downloads.asp#wallpapers

More info on the stainless Fords can be found here:

http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/pages/companyinfo/stainlesscars.asp

This photo also appears in the book "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion"
and was part of the Bill Collin's presentation at the DMC (Texas) Open
House event this past June. If you are interested in seeing the rest of
the images from Bill Collin's presentation, please email me directly and
I will respond where they can be seen online.

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:52:52 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Water pump promotion

Group, Water pump promotion:
For the month of August I am discounting the water pump packages
another 5% off the already low price.
If you buy just a new pump then there is a 10% discount on the pump
alone.
As alway's I can press on or bolt on any pulley you want and as a
added precaution I have now added a woodruff key to the press on pump
shaft to prevent the pulley from slipping or turning.
All pumps are warranted for 5 years and we have over 100 new pumps in
stock not counting the professionl re-built pumps which also carry a
5
year warranty. Even though I don't have a core charge on the pumps I
would like to have them back to recycle.
I would also like to mention that the alternator promotion was a
success and we will continue to give you the service and help as
needed. Keep watching the DML for a monthly promotion. Call or email
if any questions. Our new toll free # is 1-888-278-1629. Leave a
numbe
if not here and I will call you back.
Be sure to put DML promotion in the comment Box and I will discount
the price inhouse.
P.S. If you had purchased a pump or kit from me in the month of July,
then I will give you a store discount towards future purchases.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-system.html

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 19:55:49 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

To add to this, Allegheny teamed with Ford and did a couple of Lincoln Continental  four door
convertibles and a pair of Thunderbirds in the late 60's. They were done at
the end of the model runs because the stainless was very hard on the
stamping dies.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi,
Those are cool wallpapers.  Are there any from pre-2005?  Is there any way to still get them?
Thanks.

Chuck

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:34:41 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

I don't remember the prototype next to the Ford in the book.
Is that a photoshopped file or is it live? er, Memorex.. Kodak... ah, you
get the picture, or rather, is it one? (and how many more ways can I screw
up the question and idioms?)

-Kevin

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 8 Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 07:03:41 -0000 From: "kenndeal" <kenndeal_at_dml_attbi.com> Subject: Replacing Fuel Filter It's time for a new fuel filter. Any suggestions on which to use, instalation tips and what else to do? Thanks, Kenn ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:48:01 -0000 From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com> Subject: Fuel Filter Is the fuel filter a standard part I can get at an autoparts store? If so, what brand and part number do I get? Thanks, Paul ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 10 Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:43:51 -0400 From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu> Subject: Re: DMC (Texas) Wallpaper image for August 2005 and other SS cars The article about stainless Fords that James provided concludes saying examples of the 1936 Sedan, the 1960 Thunderbird, and the 1967 Lincoln Continental are on display at the Crawford museum here in Cleveland. Oddly, it does not mention that the VIN 500 DeLorean is on display with them. The Crawford's library includes a considerable breadth of information about all of these cars. I combed through it and read many pages of their history for an article I wrote for DeLorean World (Volume 16, #1). That article included only the most interesting bits of information from 20+ pages of notes I took. For example the story of the abuse taken by those '36 Fords during WWII is pretty amazing; it gives me great faith in my DeLorean's stainless body. The three stainless Lincolns were made in 1967, but they were fitted out with different trim packages (I think two were actually finished as '68s, though my memory is fuzzy on the numbers). I could go on all day in this off topic discussion. If anyone wants to know more about this topic contact me offline or buy me a drink in Chicago. - Mike Substelny James Espey wrote:

>>A couple people have asked about the image used in this month's
>>wallpaper image:
>>
>>http://delorean.com/downloads.asp#wallpapers
>>
>>More info on the stainless Fords can be found here:
>>
>>http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/pages/companyinfo/stainlesscars.asp

[snip]

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:11:48 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: 2006 DeLorean Wall Calendar

Hey all, I am planning on making a 2006 DeLorean wall calendar and need your
help.  I am looking for good high quality DeLorean pictures to have on each
month.  If I use on of your images, I will sell you the calendar at cost,
and will throw in free shipping (typically about $4.00). (the calendar will
look roughly like this: http://babbtechnology.com/temp/calendar.gif

For best results, the image should be 150DPI or greater and needs to be 11.5
inches by 9 inches to fill the whole page (will shave off  inch on each
side when printing to ensure full coverage).
http://babbtechnology.com/temp/calendar.jpg shows a sample image with the
inch gutter and the correct dimensions and size.

I would also like to add owner / vehicle information with each picture, so
send me any additional information you would like displayed on the calendar
with your car. (you a vender and want free advertising? As long as the
picture is cool enough I will add it and give you a plug).

Please let me know if you have any questions, and send your pictures to
calendar (AT) babbtechnology.com

Thanks!

Michael Babb

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:43:17 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Wallpapers from 2003 and 2004 (without the calendars) will be
available later this month from the website.

James

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:41:23 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

A similar, but not exactly the same, photo is on page 45 of the book
and is credited to DMC. The similarity of the two photos would lead me
to think that it's a live photo. Bill Collins mentioned that his first
day on the job at DMC he actually had the 1936 Ford to drive home.
That sold him on the value of SS for the body panels.

James

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:14:08 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Use teflon thread tape on high-pressure AC hose fittings?

Over the eons, I finally rubbed a hole in my high-pressure AC hose
where it was rubbing against the handbrake cable.

In replacing the hose, are the fittings where they attach to the
condenser and compressor tightened up dry or is the use of teflon
thread tape (or other fitting conditioner) recommended?

    Knut

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: DMC Erik <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Filter

Kenn,
Get one from one of the Delorean parts suppliers.  easier than driving around and you know what you are getting.  For installation...just make sure you have eye protection and a closed mouth....

Erik

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:21:02 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: What motor oil to use.

      From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
      Date: Fri Aug 5, 2005 9:22am

      Subject: RE: [DML] Re: What motor oil to use.

      Is synthetic more susceptible to leaking or 'weeping'? I've heard that said
      once but I can't remember the source. Thanks.

      Dom

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:40:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Besides using new "O" rings (never teflon tape!) wetting the threads
and the "O" rings with some refrigerent oil is all that is required.
Be sure to thourouly clean the exterior of the fittings before taking
them apart. Cleanliness is very important and you do not want to get
any dirt into the system when you open it up. Place plastic caps on
the system once you open it to keep the air and dirt out till you
install the new hose. Hold back when taking these fitting apart or
tightening. The one on the condensor is aluminum and will break off
easily if not securely held back. Make sure the new A/C hose is
securely attached along it's length and routed away from sharp edges,
steering linkage, etc. Make sure the hose does not put undue stress on
the condensor coil. The replacements are a little longer to reduce
this stress but you do not want it to be pulling on the soft core. If
the insides of the system look nice and clean you can get by without
replacing the oil in the compressor but it should at least be checked
for amount. Replace the service valve cores. After replacing the hose
sweep charge and test for leaks and then evacuate for at least 1 hour
before filling with refrigerent.

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:43:04 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

The fittings on the condensor and compressor are sealed with o-rings.
No teflon tape needed.
Warren at DMC

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:56:32 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling

I finally got my dream car after 20 years of wanting nothing more.
She's a young one at just under 7200 miles on the clock, but the
original owner of 24 years started the engine and drove around the
block or something a few times a week to keep things flowing.  It was
serviced about a year before I bought her with all the fuel system
stuff, and all the hoses look pretty new and are flexible.  Drives
like a new car, once you get it going...

At a cold start:  When I turn it over, the engine catches for a
second, if I keep my foot on the gas a bit it'll rev with the start,
but then RPMs fall way too low and it stalls out (whether my foot's on
the gas or not).  The manual says to have the gas pedal down 1/4 the
way, so I'm doing that, though it doesn't seem to care if I do or not.

Second attempt usually fares no better, but the "idle seek" (which I'm
still not sure is normal from reading the archives) throws it from
about 400-1500 RPMs, and while in the lows the engine shakes like a
mexican jumping bean and will often stall regardless of what I do.

Third or fourth attempt will usually catch on, but I have to watch my
pedal pushing.  If I give it a little gas when the idle seeking is
high, it'll rev and keep the process going.  If I give it gas when
it's low, it'll go lower and stall.  If I gas it and RPMs are falling
and I let go, it'll usually catch and rev back up (?).  Providing it
doesn't stall out, it'll idle seek for about 2 minutes or so before
landing on the correct idle speed.  After it settles down, she drives
like a dream.  I don't have a license plate for her yet so I can't go
too far or too fast, but I've been up to about 65 with no hesistation
or clunking or explosions.  Idle remains good at stops, and restarting
after it's warm is a cinch on the first try.

Things I've checked:  I've taken the hoses off the CPR system and
cleaned out the little trap.  Nothing much in there.  I've unplugged
the idle control unit when it's warmed up, it revved and then started
getting wonky so I plugged it back in.  I've unplugged the cold start
valve before trying to start just to see if there was a difference,
and it didn't work at all so I presume it's doing something.  Per
instructions I unplugged the thermo time switch and tried bypassing it
but I know I didn't do it right (don't ask), detailed instructions
would be helpful.  Also to note, when I turn the ignition to the
middle position (radio etc is on) I can feel and hear a
buzzing/humming coming from the cold start valve and the idle speed
regulator.

Also I've got 2 loose ends in my engine bay.  One's a bent 5" hose
coming from my CPR unit, ends in a hole like someone cut it off.
Looking from the bumper it's on the top side bottom left just below
the electric plug.  It goes nowhere.  I can't find it in the manuals
either.  The other I just discovered behind the intake manifold where
the ingition coil wire goes under.  It's a thin black wire with a
stripped end just hangin' out.

Suggestions?

-Steelskin
#5572 '81 5-speed, Grey int, Hood grooves  :)