Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2782
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:6 Aug 2005 18:58:39 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

2. RE: Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

3. Re: Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. Re: 2006 DeLorean Wall Calendar
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Fuel Pump Seizure
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

7. Getting co set
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. West LA BTTF Screening on Aug. 26th
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Door lip seals & style differences
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. [ADMIN] List Archive updated
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. RE: Fuel Pump Seizure
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: [ADMIN] List Archive updated
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Fuel Pump Seizure
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re: Fuel Pump Seizure
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: [ADMIN] List Archive updated
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:16:11 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Finally got my D! Now hard starts & stalling

Amendment to my own post..

>> Things I've checked:  I've unplugged
>> the idle control unit when it's warmed up, it revved and then

started

>> getting wonky so I plugged it back in.

About 10 minutes after I posted today I drove it around until the
engine was fully warmed up.  Ran the non-cold A/C and everything so
the cooling fans were blowing in front.  Got back home and unplugged
the idle control again, and nothing happened at all.  RPMs stayed the
same, purred like a kitten right at 800-ish RPM.  I plugged it back
in, and it revved and then stalled.  Started up again, let it go for a
minute, then unplugged again, same thing but didn't quite stall that
time.
Would this have any impact on a cold start?

-Steelskin

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 16:32:08 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

John,
DeLoreans need to be driven, and yours apparently hasn't. First thing after
you get the plates on it is to get a can of "BG 44K" fuel system cleaner and
a fresh tank of gas and drive the car on a nice long two hour drive. You can
get the BG 44K at local foreign car parts dealers. After you get back see if
the problem still exists. It is possible the CPR is bad. A set of fuel
pressure gauges for the CIS fuel system will be needed to make a final
descision. But definitely use the BG 44K.

The little bent hose on the top of the CPR is a vent, also, there are two
other vacuum hoses on either side of the CPR.

Don't know what the wire is for, you'll have to trace it back to its source.

Dave Sontos

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:23:15 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The Hose on the CPR is supposed to be open - it's a vent.

Most of the black wires at the back of the engine are grounds that
are supposed to be connected at the back of the intake runner on the
driver side. Look for a bundle of wire lugs under an allen screw,
chances are you will see one more lug there than you have wires.

This could easily be causing some of your operational problems (I'm
sure there are more) since those grounds are all engine controls of
some sort.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_n...>
wrote:

>> I [snip]
>>
>> Also I've got 2 loose ends in my engine bay.  One's a bent 5" hose
>> coming from my CPR unit, ends in a hole like someone cut it off.
>> Looking from the bumper it's on the top side bottom left just below
>> the electric plug.  It goes nowhere.  I can't find it in the manuals
>> either.  The other I just discovered behind the intake manifold

where

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:02:17 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: 2006 DeLorean Wall Calendar

Michael,

Good idea... although if you like, you can just buy the one we have
been producing for the last three years.

Our deal has always been that if a pic is submitted and used, you get
the calendar for free.

Thanks to all who have already submitted photos for the 2006
Calendar.

Ron
www.gullwingmagazine.com
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> Hey all, I am planning on making a 2006 DeLorean wall calendar and

need your

>> help.  I am looking for good high quality DeLorean pictures to have

on each

>> month.  If I use on of your images, I will sell you the calendar at

cost,

>> and will throw in free shipping (typically about $4.00). (the

calendar will

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:02:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Starting with the small things first, the hose on the CPR is just a
vent, it goes nowhere. It is just to keep dirt and water out. The wire
I don't know. As for the hard starting, it will take some
troubleshooting and history to figure out. Here are some of the
possible causes:
dirty filter in tank
bad pick-up hose
bad accumulater
dirty fuel filter
vacuum leaks
mixture adjustment way off
old, bad gasoline
dirty fuel injectors
bad CPR
a problem in the cold start circuit
That's on the fuel side. On the electrical side here are some possabilites
spark plugs
ignition wires
bad coil
Lambda not working

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:07:55 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Fuel Pump Seizure

Hi Gang - I have received a report of a new pump that has siezed and no
longer works.  The pump is a new Bosch unit, and was installed in a car
that is currently undergoing a bunch of work to get it running after
several years in storage.  The pump was installed after the tank was
replaced and the lines were all cleaned out and blown through with
compressed air.  The shop says that the pump was working fine, and
suddenly stopped.  The mechanic applied straight power to it to test
for a bad power circuit in the car, and verified that the pump itself
had quit.  I remember this issue being mentioned some time ago on the
List, but a search couldn't find that particular thread.  Any thoughts
on how to free this stuck pump, or other measures that could be taken?
Thanks for any input.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:06:02 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Getting co set

Hi all I am finally going to have the mechanic set my c0 next week .. its the
same one who did my ac and such.. I do have a question though... as the car
is set right now.. the idle flucuates when the engine is hot.. it will not hold
steady unless I adjust the c0 screw really rich so the frequency valve cuts off..
or very lean.. the car will still start and run well cept for a few seconds during
warm up if i have it set to the lean postion..but in this postion the exhaust
burns my eyes cause i guess the computer is making the car really rich to
make up for it?? the car accelerates and runs great in either position.. but any
where in the middle and the idle fluctuates.. now it doesnt do it alot mind u..
just goes up and down between 1000 and 500 rpms.. thats it.. u can hear the
motor doing it too.. any suggestions before i take it to the mechanic?? Also I
have another question.. my idles drops really fast when u let off the gas..and
the idle will go to almost zero before it catches.. I can fix that by adjusting the
bottom screw on the arm that trips the micro switch .. that makes the throttle
plates not close all the way though which isnt right... any suggestions on this
also??? Also would my 02 sensor being bad make it fluctate?? If i unplug it
the system defaults to rich and runs like a champ.. its only when the frequency
valve cycles the idle fluctates.. Any help would be great before I take it in.. Ps..
i replaced the 02 sensor last year when i did the new exhaust.. but it might be
messed up from running too lean for a year.. thanks..Dave..vin.. 15275

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: West LA BTTF Screening on Aug. 26th

Hello to All,

I understand there is going to be a BTTF screening at a movie theater in West LA on Aug. 26th 2005 at midnight.  Is there anyone attending who would be interested in meeting early for dinner?  Maybe we can get a restaurant to either rope off an area for us or at the bare minimum grab a bite, shoot the &$%_at_dml_, and hangout before the movie.  Any takers?  I'm coming from Ventura Co. and I'd love to meet other Delorean owners and enthusiast.  I've only had my Delorean for 2 months and I'm still new to all this!

Richard
VIN: 2800
Ca. Plate: FLXCPTR

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:51:07 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Door lip seals & style differences

Folks,

Apparently, there are two different styles of the "door lip seals"
(for lack of a better term; I'm talking about the seals that mount to
the bottom lip of the door). I have the early '81 style (stock, 24
years old in so-so condition) and have purchased the later '82 style
from PJ Grady. I can't figure out how to mount them, the holes don't
seem to line up. I'm of the understanding they should mount just fine,
but I have to reverse them somehow?

I hate to sound like an idiot, this is probably embarassingly obvious,
but I've flipped them and flopped them every way I know how and still
can't line things up. The best I can get is the screws & light slot to
line up, but then the drain ports don't line up. Is the 82 style
supposed to fit on the 81 cars?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 04:01:43 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Finally - Thru the efforts of one of the newer owners/list members,
Wayne Wagner, we now have an up-to-date list archive on the web at
www.dmcnews.com.

Take a look at http://www.dmcnews.com/backissues.html

At this time Wayne has indexed January 1 2000 thru about a week ago.
The intent is to update it fairly often going forward. An enhancement
to the archive is that archived email addresses are now "hashed" to try
and cut down on the sp*am harvesting. The older archives are a bit
trickier to re-index due to several format changes, but we hope to
eventually get to it.

I have no idea how long it takes a search engine like Google to index
all this, but I'm hoping it's not too long.

Dave Swingle (and Wayne)

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:50:52 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump Seizure

Toby,
Turn the pump up side down and spray a little Berrymans B12 into the bottom
of it. Then tell the mechanic to reverse the polarity and tap one side of
the wire + or - to the terminal as to jog the pump like an impact wrench
does a nut. If it doesn't release then he will need to send to Bosch for
evaluation and hope for the best.

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:53:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Wow.  Well done guys.  Thank you for taking your time
out to do this for everyone.  It may not seem like
it's useful, but believe me - it's a HUGE
contribution.  Thanks alot guys.

Jeremiah

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:43:59 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

We had a similar xperience with a customer and it turned out to he an
intermittent blockage in the fuel tank. I myself discovered how dirty
"new" tanks are with my pickup filter getting blocked after a day or so
of driving. On that particular pump, putting reverse voltage on it frees
it up, then it'll spin again the correct way but it doesn't actually
pump anything!

Best Wishes

Martin

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:27:43 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Can you get it to run backwards?

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:41:22 -0500
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Thanks for the compliment Jeremiah! Just glad to be giving back to the
DML in someway or another.

If anybody out there has a minute or two later this morning, could you
poke around the new archive (April 2000-August 2005) and let me know if
it works fine.  I had this ideal last night of doing a little directory
cleanup and am in the process of moving the archive up a level.  I think
the transfer should look transparent and should be done around 11am CST.

Regards,
Wayne / VIN#2447
www.AA9DY.com