Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2785
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:8 Aug 2005 21:44:01 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Few bugs-passenger door not fully closing & flashing parking barke light
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

2. Re: Brake job
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. RE: Mixture Control Unit
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Mixture Control Unit
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: *Thank You * Pittsburgh Tech Session II
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Workshop Manual Question
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. RE: Mixture Control Unit
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:44:46 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Few bugs-passenger door not fully closing & flashing parking barke light

Does anyone know any suggestions or tips to fix the following issues?

- Parking brake light will occasionally sputter and flicker when the
brake is disengaged. I am not sure if it is a loose wire or the
switch to engage the light still being slightly tripped. Sometimes it
can come on, and on other drives it will not. When it does have the
issue, it is most noticeable when going over bumps. Anyone know where
the swith is located or if anything else would cause this?

- Passenger side door seems to not want to fully close when shut from
inside and closed by the handle. The front of the door always latches
(twice I assume, as I was told these doors double latch) and the back
seems to only latch once as the door is raised about 2-3mm above the
back panel. When closed from the outside with pressure dead center or
a bit back on the door, it closes completely. Any adjustments that
can be done to fix this?

Thanks!

-Derek Grozio

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:52:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Brake job

After replacing the rack you really need to have an alignmnet done so
the Toe is set correctly. After 2 years you should be flushing and
bleeding the brake fluid AND the clutch fluid. Front brake pads wear
much faster than the rears so you HAVE to inspect the rears too but
just because the fronts are gone does not mean the rears are too. Also
inspect the e-brake bads. If they drag they wear out prematurely. The
pads change easily by pulling pins. Get the pads from a "D" vendor,
they will get you the correct pads with the shims and pins and clips.
You LIGHTLY scuff the inner and outer surfaces of the rotors when
replacing the pads with 80#. This ONLY works if there is no deep
scoring and the pedal does not pulsate. A pulsating pedal indicates a
warped rotor which will either have to be replaced or "cut". Deep
scoring might also be correctable by cutting if they are not too deep.
After replacing the pads try not to do any heavy braking or emergency
stops for around 500 miles so the rotors and pads can "bed" in.
Failure to let the brakes "bed" in can result in glazing which will
reduce the braking ability of the car. It can be undone by scuffing
the rotors again and lightly sanding the surface of the brake pads by
presenting fresh surfaces again. Glazing can also produce a lot od
squeaks and chirping. Another big upgrade you can do is to replace the
brake hoses with the braided steel lines. It will give you a stiffer,
more responsive pedal. Also gets rid of those 20 + year old brake hoses.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "secret_jedi_guy"

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:09:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Mixture Control Unit

It keeps the center round disk from damaging it's self and internal parts by
going up incase to far incase of a backfire.

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:18:14 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

It is a stop for the air sensor plate that is positioned to allow for a
little "overshoot" of the sensor plate. If your car were to backfire
(through the intake) this stop would be as far as the plate would be able to
swing.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:20:43 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: *Thank You * Pittsburgh Tech Session II

Dan and Judy,
I would like to thank you very much for having all of us there and
for helping me with the new master cylinder on my car.  I will be
ordering the new one from John shortly.  I can't wait until next year!

And a message to anyone else that lives close enough to Pittsburg to
go to a Tech Session, go!  It is well worth the trip!

Thank you very much again,
Thomas "Matt" Williams
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> All,
>>
>> We'd like to thank everyone that attended the Pittsburgh Tech

Session II  this past Saturday.  We had a great time and really
enjoyed meeting all our old and new friends.  It's rare to find such
a large group of people in one place that you could say you are happy
to have in your home.  We hope everyone had a good time,  arrived
home safely, and we also hope to see everyone again next year.

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:22:09 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Workshop Manual Question

I got my manual new from DMCH and I noticed there is no "S" section.
Was this left out intentionally?

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:31:59 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

I actually know quite a few owners who removed this piece because they said
they didn't need it.  I theorized that it's a bumper.  Although, even with
steady pressure I don't think the screw in the center of the plate will
touch it pressing up against the piece of metal that holds it in the proper
rest position..

My best use for this part...I use it to hold the Mix Unit upon removal and
installation because I highly detail the units and don't want my greasy
hands to touch it.  Makes for a good handle!

Jeff in NC