Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2788
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:10 Aug 2005 13:03:32 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: Need advise
From: "mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net" <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

2. Re: Need advise
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

3. Re: car pings when accelerating
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

4. Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

5. Re: Huey Lewis Concert in Central Jersey
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

6. engine and transmission dimensions
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

7. RE: AC Drain leak on passenger carpet!
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

8. Coolant bottle, tank sender and support buffer (was: Need advise)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

9. AC Repairs
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Vin #04433 is for sale.
From: "Eric G. Itzel" <ericsdmcmail_at_dml_seviernet.com>

11. lighted keys
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Torsion Bar "Relief"...........
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>

13. I must be crazy, and may need some support if required
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: Re: Need advise
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

15. Unsynchronized door locks
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

16. TankZilla & DMCH Sender
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

17. Re: I must be crazy, and may need some support if required
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

18. Re: lighted keys
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: Santa Monica, Aug 26...BTTF showing.
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Torque Numbers
From: "rlingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

21. Re: lighted keys
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

22. Re: lighted keys
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Torsion Bar "Relief"...........
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

24. Re: Musty odor
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

25. RE: engine and transmission dimensions
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:03:37 -0400
From: "mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net" <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Need advise

That is interesting.  Did anyone measure the temp on the standard,
plastic bottle?  I'd guess that would be the coolest of all.  (Although,
the metal ones "look" the coolest!)  I know the metal tanks look nice,
but if I can't see spending that much on a cosmetic upgrade (admittedly,
a nice one) that detracts from coolant performance to boot, I'm now
wondering if I should replace my soon-to-fail plastic tank with another
stock one.  Anybody have any input on this?  I was actually considering
a stainless one.  Who makes the aluminum one - I thought they were all
stainless from DMC, PJG & Special-T...

Regarding the fuel sender, I have the DMCH one and it is FAR better than
the stock, but it still leaks a teeny bit when my tank is filled up to
the max, even with the new, supplied seal.  Still, I'm pretty happy with
it and the price was fair.  I couldn't spend the extra cost for the
'Zilla, but I hear it's good too, and uses the DMCH sender unit anyhow.
Is this correct?  I don't wanna spread misinformation...

- ed
1982 DMC-12 (11594)

Johnny Sawyer wrote:

>>You might find this a little interesting:  During one of our club
>>events, somone brought a laser thermometer and measured the temp on my
>>aluminum bottle vs. the stainless.  The aluminum was about 20 degrees
>>cooler and I had arrived about the same time as the other person with
>>the stainless bottle.
>>
>>The DMCH fuel sender works, but in my opinion, isn't EXACTLY correct.
>> But at least it's better than what I had before.
>>
>>Johnny
>>5518

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:48:43 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Need advise

>> 3.
>> I need to replace a rubber/foam strips that run between Sunshade
>> Louvre and the body on each side. I search the part catalog and I
>> think I found it. Parts #108720 and #108721 "SUPPORT BUFFER". Can
>> someone confirm this?

I just replaced one of mine so yeah they're called support buffers.
The original one had come partially unglued and was the subject of
regular beatings by the sunshade.  The new ones will require some
adhesive at least at the top but I'd recommend gluing it all the way
down to prevent warping.  My vice grips were busy at the time so I
taped mine in place to dry. Gotta love stainless.

-Steelskin

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:57:11 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: car pings when accelerating

Are you sure the engine is pinging in the cylinders? Maybe you're
mistaking the sound with the normal rocker chatter...-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:12:11 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)

I've already seen inside the CPR, thats why I was describing the
wires inside all burned and shorted apart. There's no reason to test
resistances with wires burned apart. I could solder and fix the CPR
that way, but I need to take this car on a 3405 mile drive [only if
it starts running good real soon!], I'd rather know the part is new.
-----Dani B.#5003

>> Dani,
>> What Joe said is correct. If you want to see inside the CPR/ Warm up
>> regulator go to the link below or go to my home page and go into

Bosch Warm

>> up regulators on the left menu bar and you can see the inside.
>> As Joe said, measure the resistance on the resistor on the inside

with an

>> ohm meter across the 2 terminals and should read about 36 ohms. If

you have

>> that then you know the resistor is good but the setting may have

changed

>> causing it to continue to run rich. The higher the resistance say

compared

>> to a 10 ohm means it will take longer for it to change from a WUR

to a CPR

>> providing everything else is working alright in it.
>> John Hervey
>> http://www.specialtauto.com/warm-up-regulators.html

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:00:32 -0500
From: "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Re: Huey Lewis Concert in Central Jersey

             Didn't someone take their car to one if their concerts a couple
of years ago and wish they wouldn't have afterwards? I don't remember
what all happened but tthey weren't happy.

                      Jason  #5903

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:41:39 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: engine and transmission dimensions

Does anyone happen to have the exact bolt centers and crank centerline
measurements of our engine?  I'm working on a transmission project and
every machine shop willing to do a custom bellhousing asks me for the
bolt centers and crank centerline for the Renault transmission and PRV
block.  Any help would be appreciated.

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:16:53 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: AC Drain leak on passenger carpet!

I had this same problem two weeks ago.  The molded rubber tube from the
"black plastic box" that goes through the floor and was folded on upon
itself due to improper installation.  End result was that 1/2 the water was
draining out properly, and the other half was draining into my car, and
creating a lake in my passenger side.   :)

I managed to wrestle the tube back into place around the fitting, and now
all is fine.

Kevin Abato
Vin #16680

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:16:13 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Coolant bottle, tank sender and support buffer (was: Need advise)

1. Wait a few weeks on the coolant bottle, things are about to change
on those very soon (email me for details). It will be worth the wait.

2. According to the PJ Grady website, all Zilla products are currently
unavailable. The technology used in both is quite different, and
perform differently, as well. I have heard comments that the TankZilla
reads high when low in the tank. Ours is a bit "notchy" at all levels,
but with a larger "reserve" before the low fuel light comes on.

3. 108720 and 108721 are the pieces you re looking for, they are
available from all the full-service vendors for about $20 a piece.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/872-3621

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:11:20 -0400
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: AC Repairs

Hey gang,
Thanks to Dave Sontos I've finally gotten AC to operate again in my car.  After replacing the compressor, condenser, accumulator, orifice tube, and hoses as well as doing a rebuild of the mode switch it is now operating for the first time since I purchased the car!  Sure makes a big difference driving the car while not sweating the whole time.  If anyone is planning on replacing AC parts in the future I would highly recommend John Hervey's items available on his website.  His AC hoses in particular with the splice are a much needed improvement on the system since they can definitely be installed without removing the body from the frame(although as Dave can attest to it takes some grunting and twisting).  I went ahead and switched to 134A since you can buy it at Wal-Mart for $8 a can as opposed to the $29 a can I was paying online for R12 after receiving my EPA certification.  This continues to be a learning experience for me and thanks to people like Dave and John it is all starting to come together!

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:49:53 -0400
From: "Eric G. Itzel" <ericsdmcmail_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Vin #04433 is for sale.

?
Hey Everyone,

It's time for me to pass the dream on. I'm putting my DeLorean, Vin 04433, on sale. She's a good car, and she'll serve her next master well.

I am asking $13,500. The car is located in Sevierville, TN (right next door to Pigeon Forge for those who went to DCS '04). Email me if you are interested and I'll give you the specifics on the car and send some photos. My email address is Eric(AT)Seviernet.com (this address that I am posting (ericsdmcmail(AT)seviernet.com) from is, as it's name states, just for the dmc group postings).

I don't really care much for ebay, and it's better for DeLorean's to stay "in the family", so I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Thanks!

Eric Itzel
Current owner,
Vin 04433
Eric_at_dml_seviernet.com

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:59:27 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: lighted keys

Back in March there was a discussion about the orginal keys with the
lights in them.  I recently took apart an orginal key with all the
appropriate inards.  I am confused on the bulb and the contact.  Is the
bulb part screwed into the contact or are they one piece?  Thanks to
anyone who can help.

Roy  #0893

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:37:39 -0000
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>
Subject: Torsion Bar "Relief"...........

Gentlemen, forgive me, but another owner told me that he routinely
leaves his door open (he has a master battery disconnect switch) to
relieve the stress in the torsion bars.  He believes that this will
prolong their life (and "springiness").
Does anyone else do this?  Do you think that there is any physical
basis to support this?
Thanks,
NM

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:56:50 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: I must be crazy, and may need some support if required

All,

I am about to buy another Delorean, VIN 4045, it's painted black, I
know, so don't start, but it's gorgeous.  This car is from southern
Cal. and was brought to Canada in '97, and very well maintained by a
serious car fanatic, he has owned over 60 cars.  I am picking it up on
Thursday, are there any owners around this really long list of cities,
Buffalo/Syracuse/Binghamton, N.Y., and Scranton/Harrisburg/York PA.,
areas I can contact should I have any problems?

Sorry for such short notice.

Thank You for your consideration,

Bernie

VIN 6704, and soon 4045

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:00:21 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

About 6 months ago I had a chance to look at the parts left over from a
Cadillac dealership that sold Deloreans starting early 83. They had a couple
of Black steel tanks that were very similar to the stainless and aluminum
ones in their design.

They were covered in years of dust and I was assured they were original ones
ordered from KAPAC. I don't know who made them up or if they are actual DMC
tanks - any guesses?

Mike Walsh
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:10:52 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Unsynchronized door locks

All-

I installed Toby's door actuators some time ago. Even before that
however, my locks never worked correctly. I suspect the locks were
engaged with the doors open, bending the locking rods. If you unlock
the driver's side from inside, the passenger side never moves enough
to unlock. The key locks are the same way. Not to mention if you
manipulate the key and/or the inner switches you can generate all
sorts of patterns regarding which side locks/doesn't lock or unlock.
Make sense?

I've upgraded my lock module and the acutators work correctly. That
much I've checked.

What parts would I need to replace to get them back to the point where
they'll be synchronized? Or perhaps I'm just not doing it right and
someone can suggest a proceedure that will get things working together?

Thanks,
Rich A.

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:43:44 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: TankZilla & DMCH Sender

If it leaks, then you need either a new seal (email me offline) or
it's not installed correctly. There should be no leaks.

The TankZilla products uses a completely different sending unit (off a
Saab, IIRC) and the "black box" adjusts the signal from the sender to
work with the gauge in the dash. PJ Grady *may* have sold some of our
senders as they have been unable to get the Zilla products, but I'd
have to check to be sure.

James

(SNIP)

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:25:11 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I'm less then an hour away from Binghamton, if you need somewhere to
stop and make repairs, use tools or garage; I'm in the directory and
would be glad to help you. I'd usually offer to go out on the road to
help in emergency break down situations, but unfortunitly my car is
running like crap and I can't even trust it to make a 10 minute drive
now. I'll send you a message off list as well with additional contact
information later on-as I'm not at my home using DSL but stuck working
on my horrible running 5003 with dial-up [lol]. Just wanted to let you
know there's at least someone -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:08:05 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: lighted keys

Ooohhh, I want one of these. How can I get one of these?

-Ryan

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Santa Monica, Aug 26...BTTF showing.

I'd really like to get a group together.  Let me know if you have any idaes.  My wife was fomr the westside ebfore we got married.  She said there wasnt the best parking at the theater.  We might want to plan early.

Richard
VIN 2800

Alan Roberts <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi Richard and list.

I'm in WLA and have put a note on my calendar for '26. Any other takers? Richard, my email is in signature...we can discuss plans. I'll be in Camarillo sometime the next couple of days.

Al
Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4649/#16049

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:15:09 -0500
From: "rlingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Torque Numbers

Hi all.
I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild and was wondering if someone had the
specs. on the torque numbers for the 'head bolts', 'push-rod nuts', valve
cover bolts' and what ever else needs to be torqued on the engine.

I know, I know... I need to buy the D Tech. manual. I've been spending money
I don't even have yet on parts though. I'll buy one soon, but I need to get
my rebuilt D back on the road ASAP.

What qualifies a rebuilt engine as a 'Zero miles' engine or car? I've
replaced the pistons, sleeves, push-rod bearings, front and back oil seals,
head gaskets, water pump, starter, alternator, rebuilt heads, new 'O rings'
where required, new radiator, clutch and friction plates, the list goes on.
Will this be a zero mile car when I'm done? Just curious.

Thanks,

Lingo #2034

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 00:49:50 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Check here for assembly instructions:

ftp://dmcnews.com/pub/keyassm.pdf

I've always seen the bulbs kind of soldered to the contact.

James

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:48:26 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I just replaced the battery in my lighted key last week.  The bulb in my key is soldered
to the contact.
Corey
2423

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:18:19 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Torsion Bar "Relief"...........

Hello NM,
I have 3 cars now & I leave the doors open or remove torsion bars for the winter or if
it's to be restored ( I do Quite offen Just leave the doors open W/ a support prop on
the door).
Lawrence 0538m/0915a/1025m/4873a

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:28:17 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Musty odor

Ozone works! I removed my seats, ozoned them seperately with the
floor carpet. Then installed the seats and did the whole car.
Absolutely remarkable. Believe me when I say that the car had been
sitting in a fairly nice barn with concrete floors since 1985 doors
shut until late last year. Mold spores were visable all along the
center consoles and seats. Everything cleaned up from the surface.
The mold stink still prevailed even though I cleaned everything
until I became virtually insane, I remember Rich W (King Kong D-Rex)
told me about ozone. I had reservations regarding ozone, some sites
that sell alternate products say it may may crack hard vinyls. I had
no choice, I was growing mushrooms in my lungs when I drove the car.
I do not have the problem any more. The car smells awesome. All mold
is killed. Ozone is the only thing apparently that will kil mold
other than direct sunlight.

I was ready to buy seats from DMCH and new carpet.
By the way those that have the A/C blockage, I had that too. I just
had the damn thing overhauled completely, its amazing a little
debris can cause such a mess. Vac works, so doesn't a shot of air.
Dave Swingle had the best tip for accessing the drain hose under the
spare tire. It was near impossible with jack stands, very ackward
positioning undre the car.

Deloreans Rule.

I will be at Woodward Cruise Detroit with 10 or more D's.
BC

If Rich W tells you what to do, "Just do it" as NIKE would say
----------------------------

>> Thanks for your input. we'll see what happens. Ron Wester actually
>> said there is a vendor out there sellin D carpet. I want to wait

and

>> see what happens with the ozone before i do anything.

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:11:14 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: engine and transmission dimensions

Matt, I have a transmission out of a car. What bolt measurements do you
need. I also have end engine out and one on a engine stand I could
possibility get for you.