Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2791
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:11 Aug 2005 17:45:38 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Fuel Senders
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Huey Lewis Concert in Central Jersey
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Magical time for Delorean Owner
From: "rlingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

6. Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

7. Raffle Car Update!!
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Aug 26, LA showing BTTF
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>

9. Re: Magical time for Delorean Owner
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10. Looking for a beater D in the Missouri 4-state area.
From: "thetandycollector" <thetandycollector_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Magical time for Delorean Owner
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Torque Numbers
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. RE: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. AC mode switch repair
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. RE: TankZilla & DMCH Sender
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. DMCH Performance Exhaust
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Fix for funky smell when running A/C?
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

19. Re: AC Drain leak on passenger carpet!
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

20. Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

21. Re: Magical time for Delorean Owner
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

22. RE: Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

23. Re: Magical time for Delorean Owner
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

24. Re: Fix for funky smell when running A/C?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:12:59 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose

I did this myself not long ago if you remember....
You don't have to separate the body although it would be nice to have the
time and room
to do it! But all you have to have is some patience, a creeper, a small
flashlight and some patience.
Once you have ripped the old hose out which is easy because you can just cut
it up
and yank it out.
The rear section of the frame is easy to thread the hose through because you
can
have the head of the hose poking through the frame and body and thread the
hose
through the crack. A little grease here and there helps it slip.

The HARD part is the "V" section up front on the side of the gas tank.
The obstruction is the metal brake lines that run within the frame, they
make it hard
to simply push the hose through.
Because the head of the hose is bent at an angle with a big nut on the end
it makes it hard to get past though the lines.
You basically have to twist the back and fourth to get it around the lines,
sort of
twirling it....so you might have to have a friend help you twist the hose
back and fourth.
Once you finally get the head over and beyond the brake lines you can shove
it forward.
This is why you need the flashlight and creeper so you can look into the
crack
and see where the lines are.... it's all about patience and skill.

Your neck will hurt, your hand will cramp, you will cuss and spit and wish
you paid someone
else to do it. Have fun!

- Videobob

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:25:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel Senders

I can take it..    :)

<SNIP>

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:22:15 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Huey Lewis Concert in Central Jersey

To explain this better, you can search message: 41653 in the archives.
But here is a copy of what I wrote about what happened:

Thanks to Brian for the heads up about the Huey Lewis and the News
show last night.
I indeed took the Delorean to "Billy Bob's Texas" which is labeled as
the "largest Honky Tonk in the world".
I called the manager first and let him know that I was coming.
He let me park my car right up front on the sidewalk near the front
entrance. I had my Flux plugged in and gleaming.
This was the first time that I have ever displayed my car in this way.
I am used to people gawking at it, but this time was different.
This time, all respect for my property went out the window.
People were more than touching it, they were banging on it,
sitting on the hood and fenders for pictures, one A-hole opened
the door and got in!
I said, "are you out of your f-ing mind?"
He looked at me like I was crazy.
I said, "dude, get out of my car!!!"
I am pretty liberal about letting people take pictures, and even
sitting in the car but when some one opens the door, gets in
and starts playing with the shifter without permission I get fired up.
I was getting a little frightend to be honest.
I mean, if I walked out to find someone doing that to my Ford Taurus I
would pump them full of LEAD!!!!
Who are these disrespectful punks?

People were treating the car as if it were one of those funny
statues at Universial Studios that you pose with for photos.
Climbing on in, getting in it, and the touching...
....OH MY GOD THE TOUCHING!!!!!!
I spent hours today cleaning off the millions of fingerprints
and it still looks like a clay sculpture.

My advice to anyone who ever takes thier car to an event like this is
to make sure the facility provides proper barriers or ropes to put
around the car.
Car shows are different because the people attending are mostly
respectfull and know you are not supposed to touch the cars, but
private events that are filled with drunken red-necks are a disaster
waiting to happen!

With all that said... it was still very exiting to be the center of
attention and to see the looks of amazement on peoples faces as they
saw the car. They had the same look on thier face as if they found a
Unicorn or something.
That part was really cool.

As for Huey Lewis.... he sounded EXACTLY like his records, which was
a little dissapointing because there was no surprises.
It was like karaoke with the real guy.
(no, he did not play "Back in Time" or make any BTTF references)
Billy-Bob's is the worst place to see a concert unless you are right
up front because there is no good view of the stage otherwise.
However, the house was packed with standing room only.
I tried like hell to get some pictures, an interview or something
but to be honest Huey's people, as well as the security at Billy Bob's
were some of the biggest jerks I have EVER dealt with.
Very dissapointing.
Someone needs to put Huey in Doc's time machine and wisk him
back to 1985 to when he still had a hit so it will match the ego
that I ran into last night.
All that said, the overall night was fun for $12.75.

Just my 2 cents.

- Videobob
VIN# 5278
http://www.dfwdmc.com

>>From: "Flavia" <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] Huey Lewis Concert in Central Jersey
>>Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:10:31 -0000
>>
>>Yes, it was Video Bob. Problem was with some drunk people. He can
>>definitely explain better, I only heard about that story after I
>>posted this. Anyways, I still think it would be a cool thing to do, I
>>thought about it because some owners have been taking their cars to
>>different BTTF screenings around the country and the audience loves
>>it.
>>
>>Flavia

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:29:13 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel

You probably already know this but the little "goal post" shaped bar that
the louver's latch assembly grabs onto when it locks down is also somewhat
adjustable. The holes it mounts in are actually slots and by loosening the
nuts on the bar you can slide it forward and rearward giving you SOME
adjustment. It isn't a lot, but it may be enough for you to get everything
working properly together.

-Joe Kuchan

>>From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel
>>Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>>I found a post when searching for T-Panel Reinforcement earlier this week,
>>but there is also a tech paper at:
>>http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/tbar.htm, which I think is the same
>>entry.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Wayne / VIN#2447
>>www.AA9DY.com

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:08:30 -0500
From: "rlingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Magical time for Delorean Owner

Sounds great brother.  Can't wait to reach the Peak.

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:04:18 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

I have an answer to this one just due to my dumb luck. The previous
owner had replaced the struts and in the process moved the louvers to
where they were hitting the t-panel. Now I have a nice little crease in
it  :(  however I had to remove the louvers when the car needed a tow, so
I wanted to replace them where they were not hitting the t-panel plus
had enough room to catch the latch. Step one is to completely loosen
the latch on the engine cover and move it as far back as you can. Then,
with the help of another person (or two, the more the better) loosen
the bolts on the clamps holding the louvers. Push the louvers as far
forward as you can, but also twist them so the forward bracket is as
high as it can be in the column, and the back is as low as it can be.
Thhis helped raise the louvers near the t-panel so that (1) they did
not hit any more and (2) when looking from the rear of the car, you
could not see the roof below the t-panel. Hope this helps.

-Derek
#10084

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Hmm, my search didn't return any previous posts, so lets start a new

one

>>  :-)
>>
>> I just realized that my rear louvers after much opening / closing are
>> rubbing the back T-Panel.  It also appears the back T-Panel is now
>> slightly bent under on the rear left side.
>>
>> Now I have loosened the bolts (and removed the struts) to adjust the
>> louvers.  If I move the Louvers to far back then they wont lock any
>> more.  This is really a tight fit to not hit the rear T-Panel, and

still

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:18:41 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Raffle Car Update!!

Hi all,
I picked up VIN 16918 from Ken K the other day to test out and help
work on, and all I can say is "WOW".  You guys think the last raffle
car was good? Well this one is great.  It starts up with the slightest
turn of the key, quicker than my 18,000 mile D in fact. It has a black
interior with grey carpets, NEW seat covers, a NEW windshield, an auto
tranny that shifts perfectly when driving, and the best part, no leaks
anywhere underneath it on the garage floor.  The interior and carpets
are in great shape, and may I say that I apologize publicly to anyone
who I criticized online for having an automatic.  Its much peppier
than I ever imagined it to be, and its just as fun to drive as my 5
speed (well...almost)  :)   The car still needs some work to be perfect,
next up are Toby's Door Lock actuators, new belts, a new red marker
light lens, re-gluing the t-panel down, painting the louvres, a
rearview mirror to be stuck on, and other misc things here and there.
 I'll try to post pictures by next week. This fabulous looking car is
one more thing to help make this the best DCS yet!

-Patrick C.
1880
16918 for a few weeks (Which I am out driving at the moment)

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:49:54 -0700
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Aug 26, LA showing BTTF

Is anyone else in the Greater Los Angeles area  interested in getting together on Aug 26 (showing of BTTF)?  Please contact me at email address below.  If you want to drive from farther away, we won't discriminate.

Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4649/#16049

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:57:52 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Of course, you should now realize that you have hexed yourself...

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...>

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:59:03 -0000
From: "thetandycollector" <thetandycollector_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Looking for a beater D in the Missouri 4-state area.

Hey all I am looking for a fixerupper in the Springfield MO area, was
told that there is one in Springfield thats in pretty bad shape, but
since I was told that I was in a car accident in my poor ford Probe,
and lost my memory.  I remember that there was one there, but I dunno
where in Springfield, or who told me where it was, but it was someone
on this list.  If anyone knows where I heard that or has a car for
sale, Please contact me gaytrey1987_at_dml_yahoo.com, or 4176786993.

Thanks for your time, William R. Stecker, thetandycollector

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:24:38 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Welcome to the club, err cult.  I just bought my first one about 3
months ago.  I am buying another one and should have it by tomorrow
afternoon.

It is a magical car, as in you own a piece of history, and there is
a huge support group.

Drive the car, that's the only way you can find out what is wrong
with a drivable vehicle.  Listen to the car, feel what is happening
when you drive it.  Then determine what you are going to do.  Yes it
will take time and money.  But if you love the marque, you will be
more than satisfied with what you do with the car.  And be prepared
to buy lot's of new metric tools, unless you already own lots of
metric tools, in all shapes and sizes.

The DeLorean you own is a part of history, take care of it, and it
will take care of you.

We are all here to support each other, that's the only way we can
keep these cars going.

I don't even pretend to know everything about the car.  But if you
have problems post here and someone will be willing to help.

And to all of the group, I must thank you for your support.

Bernie

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:29:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

When adjusting the rear sunshade you loosen the 4 nuts, (2 on each
side). You have to set the sunshade so it is slightly above the Tee
roof and behind when closed. When open it should almost touch the Tee
roof. Difficult to explain this way but it can be done so it doesn't
rub yet still lock. One of the more touchy adjustments on a "D".

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:25:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Torque Numbers

I was not trying to be harsh, just giving you a reality check. You
knew you should get the manuals but didn't. If you damaged the motor
because you didn't have the manuals during your rebuild you would not
be saving much. The torque procedure is best read right out of the
manual, not being posted here. That along with all the torque values.
You CAN say the motor is very low mileage but the car is what the
odometer says it is. It can NEVER be below the mileage on the title
when you bought it. In most States if the odometer is ever changed you
are supposed to have a sticker on the door jamb stating that the
odometer was changed and the mileage.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "rlingo" <rlingo_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Dude, why so harsh.?  I uderstand what your saying.  Just sounded a

little

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:41:12 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Knut, The same job can be done in about 10 minutes with my new spliced
hoses. Take a look. No prying on the Fram or scaring the epoxy.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/AC-Cooling.html

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:50:10 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: AC mode switch repair

Group,
If your replacing the diaphragm in the mode switch and the small ears
that lock in the pressure plate look like they may break, don't
worry.
I will send you a free plastic spacer to who ever needs it or where
ever you bought it. I will send them with the diaphragm from now on
when I sell them.  Let me know if you need one and take a look on the
second page of my electrical page.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical-2.html

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:33:52 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: TankZilla & DMCH Sender

Resistance is about 0 to 5 ohms on the bottom and 90 to 100 on top or full.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:59:56 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH Performance Exhaust

Hi Everyone!
I'm considering having Houston install their performance exhaust in my
car.  I know why I want it, however I'm looking to hear from those
that already have it in their cars.  Is it everything you wanted and
more?
Thanks-
Christian

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:47:59 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Fix for funky smell when running A/C?

So, I just had my air conditioning charged, and had it on for the first time the other day in
probably 7 years or so, as the previous owner had it stored for some time. It worked great
without problem the first day, and the second day I drove it to work without an issue.
However, today I went to drive it and when I turned the air on I was greeted by a slightly
funky smell. Got out of work, and the drive home was an even stronger smell. Went to pick
up my friend to work on some other issues of the car, and on the way to the garage it was
overwhelming. We picked up some lysol disinfectant, and took apart the passenger hose
above the footrest. Sprayed in the front vent, side hole that was connected to the
passenger footwell hose, and in the driver side vent hole. Plugged it up and let it sit.

We then started to inspect how the system works, and from what I can tell, the air that is
circulated and sucked in from the car is in the top right of the passenger side foot well,
through the blower motor, then the air conditioning box thing (accumulator? evaporator?
not sure what this part is?) then out the vents. Went and sprayed lysol on the air intake
and the foam looked funny. Touched it and it was disintegrating right in my hand. Is lysol
on this bad? Or was this eaten up by mold? I have no idea what needs to be done to fix the
funk, but if anyone can assist, please let me know of any suggestions. After spraying and
letting it sit, the drive home it was hardly noticeable, but that could be because the car
smelled like it was fumigated with lysol (which it was, all the carpets got the treatment
also).

Did the air conditioning and blowers being on trigger something? Any way to clean this
out? I will have the center console apart in a few weeks to replace the stereo, so if anything
needs to be disassembled and cleaned, I can get to it soon. Thanks.

-Derek

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:40:24 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: AC Drain leak on passenger carpet!

I read some posts of how people cleaned leaves and debris from
behind the evaporator, which is located in the "big black box" under
the passenger side kneepad.  The fan blower motor has I think 5
screws that can be removed to drop the motor and fan.  The opening
will allow your hand and part of my forearm in deep enough to feel
the outside surface of the evaporator coil (is it called a coil?).
I was able to feel the debris with my fingers, but could only pinch
a little to pull out. To vacuum out, I duct taped a smaller used
engine vacuum hose to the end of the larger shop vac hose.  The
small flexible vacuum hose fit nicely into the AC box.  I could hold
the hose with my hand in the box and move the hose all around to get
the debris out. Granted, the hose opening was small, so I had to
stop and unclog it several time as it lost suction, but it gave me
about a cup of "crud".

My fan blower motor was also making a groaning whining sound, so
while it was out, I oiled the shaft that the squirrel cage fan
blades are on and it cured that sound.  I also verified the
direction of the motor rotation, which is counterclockwise when
looking into the fan cage (not the motor end).

I think most of these tips were posted by Dave Swingle(?), who had
recent issues with his AC fan arrangement.  Thanks to Dave and
others for these excellent tips.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

>> how did you get to the ac box?

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:50:09 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I also had a problem with my louver.  As I opened it,the top section
was tucking "under" the T-panel, scratching the paint off the
louver, which looked like crap!  I thought it was just a poor design
flaw, and had to live with it, until another Delorean owner I met at
a local cruise night told me about the adjustment that can be made
with the pair of bolts/screws that mount the louver to the car.

If you loosen each set of two hex head screws that secure the
louver, the louver will have some back and forth play.  In my case,
the louver was shoved too far forward, which caused the top edge to
tuck under the T-panel when opening.  By pulling it toward the rear
of the car, then tightening the screws, my louver now lifts over the
T-panel edge without getting near it.

Perhaps between this adjustment and the one Joe mentions below,
you'll get it to where it needs to be.

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

>> You probably already know this but the little "goal post" shaped

bar that

>> the louver's latch assembly grabs onto when it locks down is also

somewhat

>> adjustable. The holes it mounts in are actually slots and by

loosening the

>> nuts on the bar you can slide it forward and rearward giving you

SOME

>> adjustment. It isn't a lot, but it may be enough for you to get

everything

>> working properly together.
>>
>> -Joe Kuchan

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:55:03 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I know!  I am sure something will pop, squeal, burst open, etc., on
my drive home today - LOL.  Hey, when you reach the top of the
mountain, the climb down can be a bitch!

Still on my high, though, so don't ruin it - not listening.  LA LA
LA LA LA (covering my ears).

Thanks,  I am having a lot of fun, both working on it and driving
it.  With a wife and two young daughters, any garage time is welcome!

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:50:48 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Rear Louvers hitting stainless T-Panel

Thanks all!  Once again the list pays for itself  (oh that's right- its
free).  I now have my D homework assignment for the weekend.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:57:02 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I second Bernies note about the support.  Without that, it would be
difficult, I think, for many of us to keep these cars running the
way they should.

Paul

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:58:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fix for funky smell when running A/C?

This is not unusual. When you start up an A/C that has not been run
for a long time it "makes water". The water gets the mold and crud
inside wet and it starts to smell. You need to remove the blower motor
and the grill in front of the windshield. Vacuum out as much as you
can. Then get a can of deodorizer at an auto supply for A/C systems
and spray the coil and the inside of the box and the ducts.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:02:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

In addition to adjusting the "goal post" you may have to adjust the
engine cover. It can be done by removing the rear trim inside the
passenger commpartment and loosening the 4 nuts that hold the hinges
for the engine cover. It can be moved foward and back. It should not
rub on the rear facia and it should pop up when you pull the release
handle.