Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2793
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:12 Aug 2005 12:45:29 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. RE: DMCH reproduction headlight switches
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: David Rosenburg <starabcd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: New De Lorean font available
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

5. Odd Starting Problem (Resolved)
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

6. Re: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. RE: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

8. small part of door vent wanted
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>

9. Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high suction pressure
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>

10. Re: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

11. RE: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. idle speed regulator
From: Ed Kane <wingnut702001_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?
From: James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

14. Re: Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

15. Frank Sinatra was a DeLorean Owner?
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

16. Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: Aug 26, LA showing BTTF
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

21. Re: What motor oil to use.
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. RE: idle speed regulator
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Re: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. RE: No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. RE: Odd Starting Problem (Resolved)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:14:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure

The low side pressures will go high if there is not enough heat
transfer. Basically the liquid is not evaporating enough so the low
side is getting flooded with liquid and when it does turn to gas it
increases the low side pressures. This can be caused by not enough air
flow over the evap coil, a dirty coil, or a "flooded" coil, meaning
there is too much refrigerent. You could also have a low presure
switch way out of adjustment. The compressor MUST cycle. Try adjusting
it. It is the screw in between the electrical contacts under the plug.
This is how the evap coil is defrosted. If the evap coil freezes up
the low side pressures will shoot up and you won't get airflow. This
can also be from a defective orifice tube. If it lets too much
refrigerent through then the evap coil gets "flooded". Wtih all the
things you have done so far I cannot tell you exactly what to do.
Start by making sure you have enough airflow over the evap coil. YOu
have to get the low side pressures correct. If the high side is too
high then you have air in the system or the condensor coil is not
transfering enough heat. Again either not enough air flow or a dirty
coil. I have seen A/C coils that looked clean but when I washed them
with chemicals and "brightened" them it made a big difference.
Especially aluminum coils.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:36:00 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH reproduction headlight switches

Rich,
You do know that the new one will also burn up if you don't use a headlight
switch saver. Whether you buy mine or make one you will need one.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Rosenburg <starabcd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dear Marty: I have the same problem and don't no what to do! But I think my next step will be looking at the temperture control freon swicth between the pully and the AC pump, as the heat incresses the pump shuts off. Good luck.

                      Sincerely Dave Rosenburg

                                BY now:DAVE ROSENBURG

                                starabcd_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:24:49 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: New De Lorean font available

Very nice font!

Thanks

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:40:50 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Odd Starting Problem (Resolved)

If you remember a while back I posted about a starting problem that I had when hot out that the standard fuel accumulator replacement didn't solve.  It looks like following the instructions in the owners manual (who would have thought) to depress the throttle 25% while starting has "solved" my problem.  I think David T. suggested this, so thanks to him for the idea.  I also remember Kevin (#4687) said he had the same problem, you may want to try this to see what happens.

Thanks all,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:16:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Simplified replacement of high-pressure AC hose

As tempting as it may seem, the less connections in an A/C system, the
less chances for leaks. It is not that big a deal to bend the frame
and install a 1 piece hose.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:39:43 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

You may have TOO much freon in the system. The low side pressures should be
about 35-40  psi if I remember right. The compressor is always running
trying to pull the low side down.

Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:07:08 -0000
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>
Subject: small part of door vent wanted

Hi all

On the scrounge again...It looks like the door vent is a
discontinued part on dmch.  I just need the the long centre bit that
holds all the flaps together

Here is a photo (if it works) of what mine looks like at the
moment...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/mrvic20/DSCF0448.jpg

If you have the bit i could pay for it via paypal!! I will of course
also pay full postage to the UK!

take care

Craig Doc UK 388

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:15:01 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
Subject: Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high suction pressure

True it would seem that way, but I can't see how  the system could
operate correctly on only one pound of freon. It was originally
designed to use 2.5 lbs., but a service bulletin changed it to 2.25
pounds. I presently have 2 pounds installed. ( My post said 36 oz.,
but this was not correct, it's 32)

I may try recovering one pound from the system tonight.

Thanks for the reply,

Marty

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

>> You may have TOO much freon in the system. The low side pressures

should be

>> about 35-40  psi if I remember right. The compressor is always

running

>> trying to pull the low side down.
>>
>> Dave Sontos

Behalf Of

>> Marty Galbreath
>> Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:00 PM
>> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: [DML] AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge

pressure

>> I am having a terrible problem with my AC system on the Delorean.
>> Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
>>
>> The beginning.after I had my car restoration complete, I checked

the Freon

>> charge and saw it was empty. I evacuated the system and charged

with 36

>> ounces of R12. I had replaced the low pressure switch since it was

old and

>> rusty, but nothing else was done to the system.

Snip

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:56:56 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

I can see the flipside of extra splices as well.

To be clear, in my installation procedure there was no bending of any
part of the frame involved. I removed a couple strategic body bolts
and loosened a couple more in order to get the frame to sag a little
away from the body and to give me a little flex as a result of the
body and frame not being rigidly connected in the area of interest.

No bending, no damage, and no chipped/marred epoxy is involved.

   Knut

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:29:03 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

David,
Your correct, but it also goes the less you drive the car the less chances
you will have of having a wreck. If the connections are tightened as
normally you would and the o ring is in place yea in 25 + years it might
leak, but until then you have a bent  frame and possibility broken or
scraped the epoxy off the top of the bolts to start rusting. You may also be
going back with a 25+ year old hose that will blow.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:47:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ed Kane <wingnut702001_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: idle speed regulator

I just got my car less than 2 weeks ago.  Ive done alot of reading out of the dmc workshop manual.  My question is with the idle.  I know these cars idle up and down.  From what i understand, the idle speed regulator has alot to do with this,  I also read that the electronic idle system is only in use when the micro switch is fully opened or closed.  When it is fully opened or closed then the computer tells the idle speed regulator to open or close for more or less air flow.  what would happen if i was to pull the plug on the speed regulator when the car was at the correct idle.  Would that stop the changing idle speed.  I know this could also be caused by vaccum leaks, but just out of curiosity, if there where no vaccum leaks, would this help the problem.  Or what would happen if u pulled the plug on just the mirco switch.  One other question,  I know when u start your car up when it is cold it goes to a higher rpm.  Like it has an electric choke.  Would pulling the plug on the idle
 speed regulator stop this too.  I don't know about anybody else, but if my car has been sitting for a week i dont want it firing up at 2,000 rpms when the engine has had no oil flow.  Thanks

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:31:41 +0100 (BST)
From: James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?

hi,

i recently bought my delorean - #5380, which has been
stood around for 18 months after its previous owner
could not find a mechanic who could sort out its
mystery cooling problem.

before i can start figuring out the cooling, i need to
get the car running again.

i located the fuel filter - stuck in the wall of the
engine bay. pulled it out, pulled off the fuel feed
hose, stuck the hose in a can, and jumpered the fuel
pump relay to run the fuel pump constantly. (i was
trying to flush out the 18 month old fuel).

the fuel pump ran, but i got nothing out of the hose.
i pulled out the fuel pump, took off the output hose
expecting nothing, but got hosed with pressurised fuel
(lucky it never went in my eyes). so the pump was
pumping, but nothing was coming out the back of the
car. i checked the check value on top of the pump to
make sure it wasnt stuck, and it wasnt. i reconnected
the output hose and jumpered the pump on again, but
left the pump lying loose in its hole. then i noticed
that fuel was pouring out of the return pipe that runs
down the side of the pump.

i consulted the trusty delorean parts manual, only to
find "mystery" part #39 in section 2.1.0 which had no
key in the table. i had a look on the dmc website and
found out it is an accumulator, which is designed to
maintain pressure in the fuel system when the engine
is off, to prevent vapor locks and hot starting
problems.

the accumulator is the only place the fuel could
circulate back into the return line without ever
getting up to the fuel filter. so i have to assume
this is where the problem is. i have also discovered i
have to jack the damn car up to get to the accumulator
through an ominous sounding "access hole" in the
bottom of the car. (this car is awkward to work on -
everything seems to squeeze out through little holes
in the underbody).

anyhoo, my diagnosis is a burst diaphragm in the
accumulator, which means fuel just pumps into it, and
out the emergency leak return line connection, thus
never reaching the back of the car.

before i jack my car up and put it on wheel ramps,
does anyone have a smart suggestion about something
simple i've overlooked?

(p.s. i jumpered the inertia switch that cuts the fuel
off in an accident, but that made no difference -
where exactly does it cut the fuel off anyway?)

thanks in advance for any help,
james pilcher

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 02:05:37 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

From: "David Teitelbaum"
<SNIP>You could also have a low presure
switch way out of adjustment. The compressor MUST cycle. Try adjusting
it. It is the screw in between <SNIP>

NO NO NO, Do not touch the switch!! C'mon David... If the pressure is too
high on the low side then the switch will not activate. The switch doesn't
control the pressure, it's the other way around. The switch should disengage
the compressor when the low side pressure drops to between 29 and 35. When
the pressure stays above 50 the switch will have nothing to do with it.
Dirty or plugged condenser (the thing in front of the radiator) will cause
the high side pressure to rise. Plugged orifice will cause low side to be
too low and high side to be too high. Open (broken, missing) orifice will
cause the low side to read high and high side to read low.
In this case the high side is a bit high, but without knowing what the
outside temperature was it's difficult to say... it might be ok. The low
side is way to high. This to me would indicate a problem with the compressor
or overcharged system. When there is too much refrigerant in the system
there is just no place for the compressed freon to go. It is forced through
the orifice at high pressure and keeps the low side pressure too high
causing the evaporator to freeze over. 36 ounces of R-12 is correct but that
applies to factory system in a D. That means that if you have shorter hoses,
smaller accumulator, bent/damaged condenser, too much oil, etc. then it
would be too much for the system.
I would recommend charging the system with less freon. BTW, make sure that
you are really putting 36 ounces in there. Is your measuring system correct?
If you are using a scale, is it good? And the main thing is - Are you
putting 36 ounces by weight or 36 fluid ounces?? It's suppose to be a weight
measure. Or just switch to the metric system and use 1000 grams of R-12  :)

Good luck!

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet pl -> www.deloreana.com
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:31:23 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Frank Sinatra was a DeLorean Owner?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=655594

I came across this article today.  I have never heard that Sinatra
owned a DeLorean, or Rod Stewart for that matter.  Anyone else know
anything about this?  Or could this be a factual error, which seems to
happen a lot with our cars.

-Patrick C.

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:26:55 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Page N:09:01 says pressures are dependent upon ambient air
temperature.

90 F (32c) the book says low side pressure is 25-32 psi. That
doesn't jive with what you said. Am I reading this wrong?

Also, what quantity (in weight) of freon should I load if I've
converted to R-134a? Will the pressures be comparable?

Thanks,
Rich A.
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

>> You may have TOO much freon in the system. The low side pressures

should be

>> about 35-40  psi if I remember right. The compressor is always

running

>> trying to pull the low side down.
>>
>> Dave Sontos

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:17:25 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

It sounds to me like you have a restriction between the accumulator
and the compressor - but it could be anywhere. Go along the lines and
condenser as the system is running and see if there is a super-cooled
area or frost build up - that's it. You may have to replace the lines
or even the condenser.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:55:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I mentioned adjusting the pressure switch only because it could be way
out-of-adjustment. If it is screwed up so that it never opens then the
coil will frost over and the pressure will go higher and higher on the
low side. The low pressure switch OPENS when the pressure gets too
low. If the switch is adjusted too high so it never opens the evap
coil will freeze up. Maybe the switch is bad and never opens? He said
he replaced the switch so we don't know if it works or is adjusted
correctly. Anyway adjusting the low pressure switch is no big deal.
The BIG deal is knowing you got ALL the air out and the CORRECT amount
of refrigerent in. ANY air or the wrong amount of refrigerent and you
CANNOT properly adjust the low pressure switch and the system will not
cycle.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:53:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Aug 26, LA showing BTTF

Alan,

Thats exactly what I was attempting to do.  I would love to get a group together before the movie and maybe have dinner somewhere.  What do you think??\

Richard
VIN 2800

Alan Roberts <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net> wrote:
Is anyone else in the Greater Los Angeles area interested in getting together on Aug 26 (showing of BTTF)? Please contact me at email address below. If you want to drive from farther away, we won't discriminate.

Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4649/#16049

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:58:21 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

The key point here is that you want enough freon in the system to maintain
35 degrees in the evaporator, too little and you can freeze up, too much and
you get no cooling.

I don't have a R134 temperature/pressure chart, so I can't say what
pressures you should be seeing.

Dave Sontos

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:23:57 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: What motor oil to use.

I guess no one has any strong negative feelings regarding using
synthetic engine oil, as there were no responses to the post shown
below.   ??

-Derek L
VIN 5302

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:19:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: idle speed regulator

Ed See below:

I just got my car less than 2 weeks ago.  Ive done alot of reading out of
the dmc workshop manual.
( If you want to know how it works and or the theory of operation then read
the Technical Manual.)

My question is with the idle.  I know these cars idle up and down.  From
what i understand, the idle speed regulator has alot to do with this,
( The idle speed motor just opens and closes an orifice to allow air in on
the bottom side of the air flow meter so when you let off the gas the car
won't die.)

I also read that the electronic idle system is only in use when the micro
switch is fully opened or closed.
( The switch grounds the and or completes the circuit of the system will
operate)

  When it is fully opened or closed then the computer tells the idle speed
regulator to open or close for more or less air flow.
( It just opens and closes, it doesn't regulate by opening a little)

 what would happen if i was to pull the plug on the speed regulator when the
car was at the correct idle.  Would that stop the changing idle speed.
( You would have a to much air when it's not needed.)

  I know this could also be caused by vaccum leaks, but just out of
curiosity, if there where no vaccum leaks, would this help the problem.  Or
what would happen if u pulled the plug on just the mirco switch.  One other
question,  I know when u start your car up when it is cold it goes to a
higher rpm.  Like it has an electric choke.  Would pulling the plug on the
idle
 speed regulator stop this too.  I don't know about anybody else, but if my
car has been sitting for a week i dont want it firing up at 2,000 rpms when
the engine has had no oil flow.  Thanks
( Leave the idle speed motor along if it's working and adjust the mixture
screw to smooth out the idle. Make sure all three screws in the throttle
body are turned down and the engine is hot. What about the 02 sensor, how
many miles on the car and has it ever been changed.)

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:19:53 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I don't understand the theory of installation of the split hose that John
sells,
but unless the plan is to bypass the frame and go around it, you would still
have
to cram it between the frame and body if it goes in the same place.
It might be a little easier to do it from the other direction but I don't
know
because I haven't tried it.
I used one of Houston's hoses and it was like new and worked perfectly.
I got it next day - (thanks Warren!)
My air is nice and cold now!
- VB

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:06:05 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

James, If you took the hose off the bottom of the fuel filter and didn't get
gas out when you turned on the pump then something is stopped up.
The accumulator is on the return side.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:22:02 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Odd Starting Problem (Resolved)

Todd,
That may work but you shouldn't have to do it if the system isn't loosing
pressure. Something is bleeding down and allowing the fuel pressure to drop
to low. The CIS tester will help find the problem.