Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2795
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:12 Aug 2005 20:46:29 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?
From: James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

2. Re: Accumulator problem
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. Re: idle speed regulator
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: What motor oil to use.
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

5. New Issue: BTTF, Eibach Suspension Kit install, etc.
From: Ron and Cheryl Wester <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

6. RE: Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Shifting issue - Manual
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

8. BTTF "Drive-in" screening in Brookfield, WI
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

9. RE: best battery to put in
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Re: What motor oil to use.
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: best battery to put in
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Frank Sinatra was a DeLorean Owner?
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Updated BTTF screening schedule
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

14. Re: best battery to put in
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. RE: Vent function question, advice please.
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Removing Rear Trim on parcel shelf??...
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:32:18 +0100
From: James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: RE: No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?

john, as per a message i sent a few hours ago, it turns out i got the
fuel filter mixed up with the emissions recycling filter. I will locate
the fuel filter and have a look there.

regarding the accumulator being on the return side - are you certain of
that? the diagrams in the delorean parts manual have the accumulator
between the pump and the filter, but with a kind of emergency overflow
pipe plumbed into the return line.

i checked out the bosch website and some manuals for the jetronic
injection  system and it always seems to put the accumulator between the
pump and the filter, which seems to make sense to me - what use would it
be in the return line?

thanks,
james

>>Message: 24
>>   Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:06:05 -0500
>>   From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
>>Subject: RE: No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?
>>
>>James, If you took the hose off the bottom of the fuel filter and didn't get
>>gas out when you turned on the pump then something is stopped up.
>>The accumulator is on the return side.
>>John Hervey
>>www.specialtauto.com

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:14:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Accumulator problem

It's supposed to do that.  Since you're not using any fuel by running the engine, it's all being pumped back to the tank.

In any case, if you accumulator is more than 10 years old, replace it anyway.

Jake
1063

James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
hi again,

i just realised what a dimwit i am - the "fuel filter" i pulled out of
the wall of the engine bay is in fact the emmissions recycling filter
thing. no wonder i couldn't get fuel out of that pipe! but it still
doesnt explain why the fuel is just pumping straight into the return
line, so i'm still going to have to take the accumulator out and test it.

james pilcher

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:15:09 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: idle speed regulator

I ended up simply unplugging my idle speed motor and leaving it that way,
car runs
better without it, idles great.
I think it is one of those un-neccesary parts that complicates life.
- VB

>>From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] idle speed regulator
>>Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:26:16 +0200 (MEST)
>>
>>Ed,
>>check the archives, we had these discussions about 2 weeks ago.
>>When you still have questions afterwards I'm sure I/we can help you.
>>

>>Elvis & 6548

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:23:26 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: What motor oil to use.

Hi

I know that a lot of UK owners use semi synthetic oil, it works for
us over here  :)

Regards

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I guess no one has any strong negative feelings regarding using
>> synthetic engine oil, as there were no responses to the post shown
>> below.   ??
>>
>> -Derek L
>> VIN 5302

Thanks.

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ron and Cheryl Wester <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: New Issue: BTTF, Eibach Suspension Kit install, etc.

Our new issue of Gullwing Magazine is out.  If you haven't already received your copy, batch #2 will be mailed a.s.a.p.

This issue includes a great tech article by David Jacobs with plenty of photos for installing the Eibach Suspension Kit from DMCH.  Check out the before and after photos too - if you're ready to lower your car to the originally-intended specs.

Of course, there's complete coverage of the DMCH Open House and Concours as viewed by our small caravan travelling from the midwest and back.  See the comments from several other attendees, as well as the new Millennium Concours Management Team.

We have a new advertiser from the U.K. that has a limited number of mint-condition DeLorean key rings available from a liquidated promotions company.  These are very classy - so get one before they're gone for good!

There's a new ad from Robert Lamrock promoting Eurofest 2006.  Sounds like this 25th anniversary event will be an extra special one that we won't want to miss.

There are "Stories from the Factory" by Quality Control Superintendent Alan Hayward, for those who like learning more about interesting historical tidbits.

Most of the usual advertisers/vendors are in this issue along with several new items that are now available.  We also have a FREE sample attached of the DeLorean side-stripe available from the Dallas/Fort Worth DeLorean Motor Club, so you can see and feel the quality and texture of this material... it's almost an exact match of the 3M originals!

Find out why you need an automatic-transmission cooler from P.J. Grady.

You can also check out the new "classified" items.

Last, but certainly not least, is the feature/cover car in this issue that we're calling our "Back To The Future" edition featuring all of the details of Danny Botkin's awesome time-machine DeLorean.  You can tell that Danny really put in the time and research to do it up right, as he gives us an insight into his "world" (or obsession) with his very own DeLorean Dream Project including how he came to work for DeLorean Motor Center.

Enjoy!

Cheryl Wester, editor
Gullwing Magazine
P.O. Box 991
St. Peters, MO  63376
www.gullwingmagazine.com
gullwing-magazine(at)sbcglobal.net

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:17:24 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure

What is the website you were using as a reference?
- VB

>>From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamergeinc.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge
>>pressure
>>Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:33:30 -0000
>>

>>Last night I did some more work and proved beyond a doubt that my
>>compressor is indeed shot. Using procedures I gleaned from
>>Sanden's website, I saw that the pressure between the high and
>>low side would equalize in only 20 seconds after being turned off.
>>The spec is at least 2 minutes. I then recovered enough Freon so
>>that the compressor would cycle normally, 7 sec on, 9 sec off. I
>>went on a test drive and everything worked well for about 5 minutes,
>>then quit. Returning home and connecting my gauges, I saw that the
>>pressure in both the high and low sides was 80 psi. I believe the
>>compressor is toasted. I'll update after I install a new one.
>>
>>Many thank to all who have replied!
>>

>>Marty

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:36:01 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Shifting issue - Manual

There are no roll pins that hold any syncros in place. Are you
talking about the roll pin that holds the shift forks in place? I
wouldn't suspect the roll pin as a problem, as Paul hasn't described
any trouble getting it into 1st, which the fork also has the duty of
doing. How very common is this problem? I was under the impression it
is
when people try to force 5th gear to engage was when the 5th gear
fork roll pin breaks. I haven't heard of the 1-2 or 3-4 fork pins
breaking. I just rebuilt my transmission and know my forks/roll pins
and syncros are fine. Yet my transmission sometimes doesn't want to
engage into 1st from a downshift only- but takes a few seconds. The
linkage/gearshift tube that adjusts how far forward or backwards the
shifter goes usually doesn't need adjustment, it's the crossgate
cable that should be looked at. But check them both out and make the
adjustments as necessary. If you don't have any trouble with the
other gears then it's likely not to be a clutch problem. To check
the
level of the transmission fluid there is a fill plug on the passenger
side of the transmission. It the same kind of plug as the drain plug
on the bottom of the transmission- just a simple plug with a square
head. If you haven't replaced the fluid I'd recommend doing
it.
-----Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DANIEL SHANE <daniel.shane_at_dml_b...>
wrote:

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Sounds like the 2nd gear syncro is damaged or the roll
>> pin the holds it is broken.
>>
>> Very common problem on the Renault UN1 gearbox.  The
>> box must be removed and them the syncro or roll pin
>> must be replaced.
>>
>> Double check the linkages but it does sound like the
>> box itself
>>
>> Dan

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:58:12 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: BTTF "Drive-in" screening in Brookfield, WI

For those owners in the Brookfield, Wisconsin area, BTTF.com has just
learned that the first BTTF film will screen tomorrow night in a 'drive-
in' presentation:

http://www.bttf.com/index.php?/weblog/more/drive_in_screening_of_back_to
_the_future_in_brookfield_wi/

Cars will be in rows watching the film on a 65-foot screen, with sound
projected by radio and outdoor speakers.  In case of rain, the
screening will be rescheduled for Sunday.

-- Stephen Clark, BTTF.com

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:22:35 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: best battery to put in

If you don't mind spending over $100, get one of those gel-cell, red topped
OPTIMA batteries.
Those are pretty sweet.
You can't have too much power, you are only limited to how much space you
can have
behind the seat to shove the battery in.
However, if you have the original wimpy alternator you might not want too
big of a battery
because it could be a bugger to recharge for the system, but if you have one
of the
larger high output alternators (like Hervey sells) then you can handle it no
problem.
Also, if you have a big stereo, or anything special that uses juice it is
nice to have
a big battery....especially if you like to show your car and leave the doors
open
for hours at a time - but then again you could put in LED's and solve that
problem ;P

- Videobob

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:44:23 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: What motor oil to use.

Derek..

    The former owner of my car used only Mobile 1 in it  and that is what I'm
using.
Roy #0893

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:02:35 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have an Optima Red Top sealed battery 34/78, sideposts, and it
works great (no spills, no fumes). Already charged when I recieved in
the mail with free shipping. Expensive though, about twice the price
of regular batteries.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:07:36 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Frank Sinatra was a DeLorean Owner?

If you look at the DeLorean production chronology that is downloadable from
DMCNews.com, you will find the following info...

1981     #4523     Grey     5-Speed     Company Car (J. Carson)
1981     #5037                 Automatic   Company Car (S. Davis Jr.)
1981     #5654                 Automatic   Company Car (JZD)
1981     #6107                 5-Speed     Company Car (JZD)
1981     #6880     Grey     5-Speed     Company Car (JZD)
1981     #6882     Grey     Automatic   Company Car (JZD)

I know that Carson's D was not titled to him in his name.  I am assuming this is why it
says company car next to his name.  Same goes for Sammie Davis Jr. and even John
DeLorean.  Sinatra is either not mentioned, or I missed his name while skimming the
list.  Either way, the list is incomlete, so who knows?  Hell, as far as we know, even
Micheal Jackson could have owned one (or still does...  Are you on this list somewhere
Micheal?...)

At any rate, if you have not ever taken a look at the production chronology, I highly
recommend downloading it.  It really is fun to look threw...  There could be another
owner right in your own backyard!  I thought I had the only D in my town until I saw
that list.  There is one other listed here.  I have yet to see him or his car anywhere.
So, if you live in Oak Forest, IL. and are reading this, gimme an e-mail!

Corey
coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com
corey.ooms_at_dml_us.army.mil

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:18:24 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Updated BTTF screening schedule

DeLorean owners & enthusiasts wanting to coordinate gatherings at
local BTTF screenings may wish to refer to this schedule of all
upcoming U.S. screenings to date:

August 12-13, 2005
River Oaks Theatre - Houston, TX
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/market/Houston/RiverOaksTheatre.htm
713-866-8881

August 13, 2005
Mitchell Park - Brookfield, WI
http://www.gmtoday.com/news/local_stories/2005/August_05/08112005_02.a
sp
Note: This is an outdoor event (drive-in style)

August 20, 2005
Uptown Theatre - Minneapolis, MN
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/market/Minneapolis/UptownTheatre.htm
612-825-6006

August 26, 2005
Nuart Theatre - West Los Angeles, CA
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/market/LosAngeles/NuartTheatre.htm
310-281-8223
Note: Claudia Wells will be signing autographs & conducting an
audience Q&A at this event

August 27, 2005
Bellport Village dock - Bellport, NY
http://www.bellportfilmsociety.org/bfs_content.html
631-286-1910
Note: This is an outdoor event

August 27-28, 2005
The Oaks Theater - Oakmont, PA
http://www.theoakstheater.com/
412-828-6322
Note: BTTF.com will be providing doorprises at this event

October 6, 2005
Webster University - St. Louis, MO
http://www.webster.edu/filmseries/
314-968-7487
Note: Bob Gale will be conducting an audience Q&A at this event

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:16:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Steve,
Optima Red Top. It's sealed so it won't leak & ruin the carpet.

If you plan on running your stereo or video equiptment with the car off for long
periods of time you may what the deep cycle Optima Yellow Top battery.

Shannon Y
16506

-------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Vent function question, advice please.

YES!  That makes me so much more confident when I put
the new fan speed switch in.  If you remember John
(and I know you get a LOT of people calling you so if
you don't, I'm not insulted  ;)  ), I have been having
the exact same problem as Joe here.  Everything in the
circuit but the switch has been replaced; he and I are
both down to the exact same thing.  That one fun day
(ok..maybe two days  ;)  ) I take the center console out
to replace my A/C vents, put in a updated radio,
install the headlight saver kit, put the new bulb in
the hazzard switch, and put in the new fan switch,
I'll let you know  ;) .

Jeremiah

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:12:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Removing Rear Trim on parcel shelf??...

Mike,
Remove the 4 philips head screws under the bars that hold the cargo net (may be
hex head if replaced from original). Then lift up slightly & out on the vertical
wall to get over two "z" brackets that are under a little metal bar on the back
side of the wall. That's it.

Shannon Y
16506

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:57:24 -0000
   From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Removing Rear Trim on parcel shelf??...

Hi

I know someone asked this a few days ago but just how does the
vertical part of the pasenger shelf come off to access the lower
engine cover hinge bolts??  :)

Regards

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs