Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2796
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:13 Aug 2005 21:39:29 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Re: What motor oil to use.
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

2. Re: best battery to put in
From: "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. AC Condensation
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

4. JZD article
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. HELP! (Import from Canada)
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. idle speed regulator resolved
From: Ed Kane <wingnut702001_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Accumulator problem
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

9. Re: best battery to put in
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: BTTF "Drive-in" screening in Brookfield, WI
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:19:41 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Re: What motor oil to use.

I use Mobil One 15-50, as did the PO.   The good folks at DMCH seem quite
happy putting it in, and with the condition of the engine.
KermitP

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I guess no one has any strong negative feelings regarding using
>> synthetic engine oil, as there were no responses to the post shown
>> below.   ??
>>
>> -Derek L
>> VIN 5302

Thanks.

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:56:38 -0000
From: "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: best battery to put in

It's unanimous!  Red top it is.  Thank you.
Where did you get it with free shipping?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I have an Optima Red Top sealed battery 34/78, sideposts, and it
>> works great (no spills, no fumes). Already charged when I recieved

in

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:44:53 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: AC Condensation

After making sure my AC drain pipe was clear, my passenger side carpet
dried out, I still get a little bit of a drip from condensation around
where the pipes enter the AC box under the passengers side.  Most of
the AC box is wrapped in a thin layer of foam insulation, remaining
dry at all times.  However, when I reach my hand behind where the
pipes come in, they sweat a bit and drip down (not a lot, but enough
to dampen the top edge of the carpet in this area.  I'd like all of it
to stay dry, to prevent mold, smells, etc.)

Do you think it would work OK to wrap this area in some sort of foam
as well, sealing the pipes that are exposed between the firewall and
the black plastic AC box.  Could this eliminate this bit of sweating?

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:40:40 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: JZD article

List

You might not enjoy reading this, but I thought I would put the link
out for all of us to see

http://automobilemag.com/columns/0506_american_driver/

Ron
gullwingmagazine.com

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:46:53 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: HELP! (Import from Canada)

All,

I just "re-imported" VIN 4045 back into the US from Canada.  I have
to go to customs on Monday for the import paperwork.  Does anybody
have anything that I can get that shows that this car was made for
import into the US and meets all Federal standards of the time?  I
have the orginal window sticker that shows port of entry, orginal
sales reciept from a US dealer (no duty that way), plus other
official paperwork.  I just want to make sure that these guy's don't
give me the bueraucratic runaround, and that I have the answers they
need when I get down to the docks, literally I have to go down to
the docks for the inspection.  I need to present the car, and have
them inspect it.  Luckily the guy I talked to today will be on
vacation next week, so I may get someone more understanding and not
so anal.

When I came in from Canada, the guy just sort of waved me through
after checking my creds.

BTW the car runs great but has the typical electrical issues of too
much current drain with the AC on and headlights on.

John H., do you have black powder coated alternators, 140 AMP?

I'm not buying any parts until I can get it registered, so there may
be an absolutley perfect car parted out, I don't want to but may
have to.  In my opionion, it's better than my other D. Hey maybe a
body and engine swap!

Also has AC issues, which I think are in the dash, I don't look
forward to diving into that.  But otherwise, it ran for 11 hours
straight yesterday and was smooth as silk.  Lot's of power in
reserve, and no problems at all.  Other than the mothball smell.
The PO stored it with two full trays of mothballs inside the car,
and what looks like 4 trays around the car.

Thanks,

Bernie

P.S. Is there a way to spell check in this forum?

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ed Kane <wingnut702001_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: idle speed regulator resolved

Just want to say thanks for the input.  I did pull the plug on the regulator and the car idles perfect. I drove it yesterday and today.No more up and down with the idle.  Doesn't want to stall and fires right up.  I have to agree with video bob.  The regulator is just one of those parts that are there just to complicate things.  Thanks again.          Ed

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:56:40 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Accumulator problem

Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel distributor (the line that comes
up from the driver side of the car). Fuel should come out of there
with the pump running. It normally goes thru the fuel distributor,
with the "unused" fuel diverted back to the tank thru the return
line.

The return line goes from the fuel distributor, under the coil and
down under the passenger side of the car. The accumulator is in line
with the high pressure side of the system with a pressure relief line
(the one line by itself on the accumulator) connected to the return
line.

No fuel should go through the accumulator from high to low side, if
it does the diaphram has broken. It would have to be in incredibly
had shape to divert ALL the fuel out the low side, though. Normal
failure mode is that it won't hold pressure after the pump is turned
off.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>
wrote:

>> It's supposed to do that.  Since you're not using any fuel by

running the engine, it's all being pumped back to the tank.

>> In any case, if you accumulator is more than 10 years old, replace

it anyway.

>> Jake
>> 1063
>>

>> James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_y...> wrote:
>> hi again,
>>
>> i just realised what a dimwit i am - the "fuel filter" i pulled out

of

>> the wall of the engine bay is in fact the emmissions recycling

filter

>> thing. no wonder i couldn't get fuel out of that pipe! but it still
>> doesnt explain why the fuel is just pumping straight into the

return

>> line, so i'm still going to have to take the accumulator out and

test it.

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:15:33 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>
Subject: Re: AC system compressor doesn't cycle, high discharge pressure

here 'tis:

http://www.sanden.com/index.html

Go to support, look through the tech stuff for all kinds of good
info.

Marty

>> What is the website you were using as a reference?
>> - VB

discharge

minutes,

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:34:11 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Optima is a good choice.

Optima batteries are what they called VRLA batteries.  Valve Regulated
Lead Acid.  The acid won't leak for sure.  You can even mount it
upside down.  However, high temperature and overcharge will cause
safety vents to open.  The gas vented is hydrogen gas.  Some battery
designs re-route the hydrogen gas back into electrolyte to be
recombined so becomes a totally enclosed system.  I think Panasonic
has this design.  Optima design vents the hydrogen gas directly into
the atmosphere.  So careful when doing anything that exceed the
battery parameters.  Discharging the battery below the lower voltage
limit (as specified by manufacturer) won't cause the battery to vent
hydrogen gas, but it will kill your battery in a hurry.  You probably
figured out smoking around hydrogen gas is not a good idea.

Note: All lead acid batteries, if overcharged, will produce excessive
hydrogen gas.  The completely sealed gel lead acid batteries don't
have vents, so severe overcharge will literally blow the battery apart
or cause the housing to fail.

Steve Kuan
VIN#04421

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Steve,
>> Optima Red Top. It's sealed so it won't leak & ruin the carpet.
>>
>> If you plan on running your stereo or video equiptment with the car

off for long

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:32:51 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF "Drive-in" screening in Brookfield, WI

looks like i know where i will be Saturday night.

Mark V
Brookfield, WI