Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2797
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:14 Aug 2005 03:09:48 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Re: best battery to put in
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: JZD article
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: JZD article
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Odd Starting Problem (Resolved)
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Noise from fuel pump
From: "nuclearwesselanimation" <mwessel97_at_dml_msn.com>

6. Looking for a Beater D...or any D in Missouri?
From: "thetandycollector" <thetandycollector_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: JZD article
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

8. Re: AC Condensation
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

9. Re: JZD article
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

10. RE: HELP! (Import from Canada)
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

11. RE: DMCH Performance Exhaust
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Re: best battery to put in
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Co2 set
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Frank Sinatra was a DeLorean Owner?
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: HELP! (Import from Canada)
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

16. Re: HELP! (Import from Canada)
From: "Robert Ensfield" <ensfield_at_dml_chartermi.net>

17. Re: JZD article
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Johnny Lightning Car Show (JL Girls)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

19. RE: Re: JZD article
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. RE: Noise from fuel pump
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. RE: Co2 set
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. RE: Co2 set
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

23. Re: Noise from fuel pump
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

24. Re: JZD article
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

25. Re: HELP! (canadian car Bernie)
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:42:45 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: best battery to put in

They have them at SAMS for $109

>>From: "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] Re: best battery to put in
>>Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:56:38 -0000
>>
>>It's unanimous!  Red top it is.  Thank you.
>>Where did you get it with free shipping?
>>Thanks,
>>Steve

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:11:30 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: JZD article

I read this article a few weeks ago and found it rather shocking. For someone to publicly
exhibit such glee over another man's demise seems almost pathological  even if the
author is a Delorean detractor.

The following month Automobile Magazine published 3 reader's letters that responded to
this editorial  2 were offended by the tone of the article.

- Geoff
10718

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:51:26 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

With all of JZD's former business partners, ex-friends, ex  wives, former GM
& DMC employees, books, magazine articles and TV  programs, that reach the
same conclusion...that JZD was a machiavellian...you  have to wonder why, just
about everyone that he encountered hates him and has  nothing nice to say about
him.

Was everyone that jealous of him and was he that dangerous to the
establishment or just a con-man that was eventually exposed for screwing  over so many
people?

Yes, I love the DMC car.

Sincerely Yours,
Mike Pack

In a message dated 08/12/2005 9:37:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net writes:

http://automobilemag.com/columns/0506_american_driver/

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:03:11 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Odd Starting Problem (Resolved)

Not so fortunate.
When things settle down I'll probably begin with the trouble shooting tips
posted previously.
-Kevin

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 5 Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 05:29:48 -0000 From: "nuclearwesselanimation" <mwessel97_at_dml_msn.com> Subject: Noise from fuel pump Hi everyone! I am having a real problem with my fuel pump. it is a DMCH new and "improved" unit that I installed about 6 months ago. After about an hour of driving, the pump starts to make an aweful groaning noise. If I continue to drive, the groaning gets louder and fuel flow seems to drop. This will continue to the point that the pump seems to stop turning and the engine quits like it is uot of gas. I have removed the pump from the car roadside immediately after this happens and it is hot as hell. I wrapped it in a cool towel for 10 minutes or so and then started the car. It was better, but still loud. I limped to a gas station and filled the tank with 6 or 7 gallons of fresh, cool gas and the problem dissapeared. I have toweled out the tank to remove silt and I have tapped the screen and even tested the pump with an unscreened tube right into the gas, so I am pretty sure it is not clogging of the baffle screen. Do I have a defective pump? I rarely travel far enough for it to be a problem but I want my touring car to be able to tour. Thanks all Matt vin# 6716 Denver, Colorado ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 6 Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:27:09 -0000 From: "thetandycollector" <thetandycollector_at_dml_yahoo.com> Subject: Looking for a Beater D...or any D in Missouri? Anyone know where I can find a beater D? Or any DeLorean in MO? Many ppl have told me about one that sits on a street somewhere in springfield under a car cover (and its supposedly trashed) but I cant find anyone who remembers what street its on! Any Help?? Thanks - Bill ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 7 Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:38:09 -0500 From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com> Subject: Re: JZD article A couple of years ago I was in the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport a day or two after the Barnett Jackson auction. We had a late morning flight but thought we may have a chance of getting on an earlier flight so we got there about 6:30am. As we walked to the gate to list ourselves on standby for the earlier flight I saw David E. Davis sitting at the gate next to ours. He has knocked the DeLorean car and John in particular for years and I thought if I had the chance I'd like to ask him why. He was busy on his cell phone and our seats were confirmed right away for the early flight so I missed my chance. I've always regretted not getting a first hand account of why he harbors such a hatred. His recent column reflecting on John's demise was in very poor taste and I'm really surprised someone of Davis's caliber would stoop that low. Bruce Benson ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 8 Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:39:24 +0100 From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk> Subject: Re: AC Condensation You need emalgamating tape which is like padded, gummy duct tape that never looses it's tackiness. Iteliminates the sweating. When I was on that stage of my aircon rebuild I ended up buying the tape from DMCH and it worked out cheaper than buying it from the hard to find suppliers here in the UK. It is far easier to roll it around the evaporator pipes whilst it is out of the car. It is good stuff and I have loads left. If you would like some, email me off list... Regards Chris H vin 5255 in the UK ----- Original Message ----- From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com> To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 8:44 PM Subject: [DML] AC Condensation

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:31:59 EDT
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

Why would we enjoy reading such a negative article written by such a  bitter,
narrowminded excuse for a human being.

boB  Cutrupi

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:21:37 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: HELP! (Import from Canada)

Bernie:

Do not part out the car!!  There are plenty of people that will buy it in its current condition, including the customs problem (which you should be able to fix)  Anyway, do a carfax report and find out where the car was registered in the US.  If you can find where the car was registered and/or titled here in the US, you can prove that it was here PRIOR to going into Canada and depending on the customs agent, that should be enough proof that it's origin, PRIOR to you, was in the US.  You may need to contact the DMV where it was previously registered in the US and have them sent you a Registration Verification Letter.  Some states have them, others do not.  Most states that do not require titles for cars over 10 years have this verification letter.  I did that before with my wife's car who moved back and forth from canada and that worked.

Jay

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:58:34 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH Performance Exhaust

Christian,

What are your reasons for wanting it?  There's a few things to consider,
style, performance gains, sound?

I personally do not have the performance exhaust (or a car anymore for that
matter) but I have had a chance to see it close up and talk to owners who
have experienced it for themselves.

It is a very precisely done VERY proffessionally built system.  It looks to
feature a "flowmaster" type muffler and high flow Cats.  It's design allows
for awesome backpressure release and from what I gather is a major player in
the DMC Stage 2 Engine.  Exhaust is a very important key for performance and
DMC's exhaust is definitely what you need.  Not only is the throttle
response MUCH better but the car really feels more alive...runs alot
smoother and just overall kicks more rear.

Again, This is from what everyone has told me about the exhaust from what
they've experienced but i have seen the part installed on an engine
firsthand and it is just awesome looking.  It is going to be much louder but
has a nice grumble to it and sounds alot tougher.

I've been working on cars for years and DeLoreans for 3.  Any car I've ever
modified the exhaust has always brought more enjoyment to the ride as I'm
going down the road just because of the way it sounds and feels.

If you want it done right buy it from the DMC   ;)

I promise you won't be disappointed.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:02:21 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: best battery to put in

Most internet retailers offer free shipping. I got mine at jegs.com
and with ground shipping it arrived in two days.

john

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Steve Berridge" <scberridge2_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> It's unanimous!  Red top it is.  Thank you.
>> Where did you get it with free shipping?
>> Thanks,
>> Steve

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:20:16 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Co2 set

Hi again I had my c02 adjustment finally set professionally and the car runs
great.. I do have a question though.. the frequency valve does not run when
the car is warm though now... at least not at idle.. it does run when u give it
gas and let off and such.. but just idleing warm it doesnt.. the c02 was set by a
c0 machine so it is right now.. any suggestions on this..?? Is this bad??
thanks..Dave..vin 15275

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:33:58 EDT
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Frank Sinatra was a DeLorean Owner?

An urban myth I'm afraid.  Typically bad journalistic  research. (Anything to
sell newpapers.)
I had the opportunity of asking Rod Stewart some years ago if he ever owned
a DeLorean because lots of the employees at the factory were sure he  bought
one of the gold plated cars - sadly it wasn't true he didn't even own a
stainless steel one either!
Robert
Belfast

In a message dated 12/08/05 02:17:05 GMT Daylight Time, PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=655594

I  came across this article today.  I have never heard that Sinatra
owned  a DeLorean, or Rod Stewart for that matter.  Anyone else know
anything  about this?  Or could this be a factual error, which seems to
happen a  lot with our cars.

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:40:02 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

>From being a Custom's Inspector in Canada between Ft Erie Ontario and
Buffalo NY, the biggest piece of advice I can give is to call the US side of
the border crossing and ask them directly what you need (if anything) and be
sure to write down exactly who you spoke to.

There may be restrictions on which border crossing you can import a car,
don't be surprised if you are asked to cross at another crossing with the
ability to do a through back ground check to make sure there are no liens or
it is not stolen. Customs started a similar program in Canada, of the 4
border crossings near where I live, only one can be used to import vehicles
into Canada.

Although far from proof, I believe every Delorean shipped into North America
(even the 17xxx series) were fully in compliance with US regulations at the
time. There is probably a list of vehicle makes/models that meet or don't
meet these regulations that the Customs Officer will go by. From memory,
about the only car that had trouble going from Canada to the US was a Lada
which was made in Russia somewhere. Most of the problems importing cars are
from the US into Canada, because most often production cars are fully
compliant in the US but fall short Canadian regulations. How about a CARFAX
report showing US registration? I honestly don't think you will have much of
a problem, but again I would ask at the border crossing you are using
exactly what you need (don't trust information lines or general info from an
inland office - actually ask the officers that will deal with your car)

Mike Walsh
#17084
Former Canada Customs Officer #9303
>> I just "re-imported" VIN 4045 back into the US from Canada.  I have
>> to go to customs on Monday for the import paperwork.  Does anybody
>> have anything that I can get that shows that this car was made for
>> import into the US and meets all Federal standards of the time?  I
>> have the orginal window sticker that shows port of entry, orginal
>> sales reciept from a US dealer (no duty that way), plus other
>> official paperwork.  I just want to make sure that these guy's don't
>> give me the bueraucratic runaround, and that I have the answers they
>> need when I get down to the docks, literally I have to go down to
>> the docks for the inspection.  I need to present the car, and have
>> them inspect it.  Luckily the guy I talked to today will be on
>> vacation next week, so I may get someone more understanding and not
>> so anal.
>>
>> When I came in from Canada, the guy just sort of waved me through
>> after checking my creds.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:44:12 -0400
From: "Robert Ensfield" <ensfield_at_dml_chartermi.net>

Hi Bernie,

    Your best proof is on the car..on the factory certification plate
riveted to the side of the driver's door ,visible with the door open..

     Good luck,
      Bob----- Original Message -----
>> I just "re-imported" VIN 4045 back into the US from Canada.  I have
>> to go to customs on Monday for the import paperwork.  Does anybody
>> have anything that I can get that shows that this car was made for
>> import into the US and meets all Federal standards of the time?  I
>> have the orginal window sticker that shows port of entry, orginal
>> sales reciept from a US dealer (no duty that way), plus other
>> official paperwork.  I just want to make sure that these guy's don't
>> give me the bueraucratic runaround, and that I have the answers they
>> need when I get down to the docks, literally I have to go down to
>> the docks for the inspection.  I need to present the car, and have
>> them inspect it.  Luckily the guy I talked to today will be on
>> vacation next week, so I may get someone more understanding and not
>> so anal.
>>
>> When I came in from Canada, the guy just sort of waved me through
>> after checking my creds.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:34:54 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

After reading the column, I went "Wow.  This person is really
unprofessional."  David E. Davis may disagree with the way JZD does
things in the past, but it's another thing to imply JZD purposely
arranged his death right before the autoshows.  Where is the evidence?
 What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

To me, the author is un-American and full of hatred.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:46:45 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Johnny Lightning Car Show (JL Girls)

Forum,

I was invited to attend the First Annual Johnnny Lightning
Car Show today in Oakbrook, IL at Johnny Lightning's 10th
Annual Toy Car Convention.  Although it was more of a show
and shine (with on an off light rain showers), but there
was a fairly decent turn out, including a few very nice 50's
Packards that may show up to the DCS 2006 event next year.

Besides the factory warehouse sales, including deep discounts
on BTTF cars and models, the highlight of the show was two of
the Johnny Lightning Callendar Girls for 2006, having their
photos taken next to each of the cars in the car show.

I have included a pic in the photo section that's worth a look.

More photos should be on the Johnny Lightning Lightning Fest
website next week at: www.jllightningfest.com

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:07:59 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: JZD article

I agree, the article was pretty tasteless...but only because of the tone and
language.
I am willing to believe that most of what he said was true.
If any of you have seen the "Car Crash" video, or listened to anyone who
ever
had to be on the other end of his business you would hear these people bash
him.
All of this goes along with the statements I made a few weeks ago about the
way people feel about our cars, or, the way CAR people feel about our cars.
They feel the same way about JZD.
A lot of people lost a lot of money because of his endeavors.
- VB

>>From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] Re: JZD article
>>Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:34:54 -0000
>>
>>After reading the column, I went "Wow.  This person is really
>>unprofessional."  David E. Davis may disagree with the way JZD does
>>things in the past, but it's another thing to imply JZD purposely
>>arranged his death right before the autoshows.  Where is the evidence?
>>  What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
>>
>>To me, the author is un-American and full of hatred.
>>

>>Steve
>>VIN#04421

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:18:18 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Noise from fuel pump

Matt,
Hot climate is doing havoc on pumps. Not just Delorean but I work with
Porsche people also and they have some of the same problems. Hot gas, Hot
weather = hot pumps and more noise, even to the point of collapse. I know
one company that tried to fix the problem by an improvement in the rebuilt
pump but it still came back with the almost same problem.
I work with the group in Arizona and the Hot Air Dam I build has helped and
I'm working on another improvement that will help keep heat off the tank
from the road surface. I'll post when it's ready.

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:24:06 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Co2 set

Dave,
If the 02 sensor isn't having to adjust the lower pressure on the fuel
distributor because the mixture is almost perfect 14.5 to 1, then it may not
make much noise because it isn't having to work very much.

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:30:54 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

I don't think anythings wrong especially if the car is running good.

I've always set the CO by ear and when the Frequency Valve humms constantly
the car runs like a dream.  I wait until the car is warm to set the CO
though.  Was the car completely warmed up when the CO was set?  I feel this
is crucial as all the proper devices have begun operating when the car is
warmed up.  I know you can unplug the O2 Sensor and the CO is much easier to
set however I do not believe you HAVE to do this to get a proper setting.
Don Steger instructed me a few years ago about the CO adjusting technique.
I've done it this way ever since and it ALWAYS works.  However, any fault in
the procedure would point to an additional faulty component in the system.

By unplugging the O2 Sensor or the Lambda Thermal Switch you send the car to
a default rich mixture and the frequency valve starts buzzing rapidly.  Good
trick if you want to get your car running and you don't have strict
emissions testing where you live.  I musta drove my former car for a good
couple of weeks like this with no problems whatsoever until I bought a new
O2 Sensor.

I think you'll have it adjusted in no time and running properly.  Honestly,
if the car is running great just try moving the CO screw 1/8 of a turn in
either direction and listen for Frequency Valve noise.  Be sure to wait
about 3 minutes between adjustments revving the engine gently during that
time to allow the new setting to take effect.

Another quick thought.  Were you metering the CO out of the tailpipe AFTER
the Cat or before at the CO plugs in the Crossover Pipe?  I had a guy
measuring tailpipe readings but this was insufficient because the CAT
already cleaned up the exhaust.  My CO reading was 0.0 after putting on a
high flow Cat.  Safe to say the car passed here in NC.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:31:49 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

You may have an electrical problem as a high resistance could cause
an over heating - the ground for the pump or the relay may have some
burned contacts.

You may need to get the volt/ohm/amp meter out.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "nuclearwesselanimation"

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:48:15 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

Well, I read the article, this guy should hang out with Monster garage
Jesse. I replied with the following statement:
Dear DAVID E. DAVIS, JR,
I would hope that you write a nice apology letter to the children of
John DeLorean.  How dare you. Hmm let see, John stirred up interest
through national campaigns with Auto Dealers that fully respected
John. He knew them by name, took care of their needs well before the
launch of his own car. The man worked very hard. I would consider his
dedication to his job as Peter Jennings did with his. Is John the only
person in the world to sell investors on a projected future? The
business is either a success or failure. The DeLorean Automobile spoke
for itself, today is still the most beautiful production vehicle ever.
You win or lose. John was acquitted of all charges related to the
issues. John had become withdrawn from the world while you lived
happily. You only live once, he wanted to achieve personal goals, and
at the same time improve transportation. For your information the car
is not a dud, it is one of the most reliable automobiles to date.
Perhaps you should do some modern research www.delorean.com. Very
frightening article, you have revealed your true self.  Total lack of
respect for the man, he made it because he earned it. Let's see what
you look like? Are you as good looking as John was? My guess is
probably not. Johns chin was broken (sports) and was repaired
unfavorably. He refused to let doctors repair it.

Byron, MI.

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:01:13 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: HELP! (canadian car Bernie)

Bernie wrote
" In my opionion, it's better than my other D. Hey maybe a
body and engine swap!"

Didn't you buy that really nice DeLorean that Dave and Rich rebuilt?  How is
this new black one better than your first?  The pictures of your first
DeLorean looked gorgeous and I thought dave and rich rebuilt a lot of the
car?  Im confused?
-Alex