Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2799
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:15 Aug 2005 17:59:12 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: Ed Kane <wingnut702001_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>

From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Dream Cruise Party
From: "rickmichaels" <rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Noise from fuel pump
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ed Kane <wingnut702001_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: speed regulator

With the speed regulator unplugged my car runs between 800 and 900 rpms.  The car sat for 2 days and when i turned the key it started up.  I prefer it to fire up cold at 800 other than 1500 to 2000 rpms because of the lack of oil in the engine after sitting for a couple of days.  Im not knockin the design of the regulator, i just did it to see what results i would have and my car runs better with it unplugged.  Now if i was going to drive it in very cold temps it may have a hard time starting or it may run bad with it unplugged, but for the driving i do.  It runs alot better with it unplugged.

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:57:39 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Recurring offer on eBay

I had a number of emails back and forth with this guy when he first started
listing it.  At that time he was asking $9,500 which I promised him he would
never get.  He doesn't seem to understand that his car is worth maybe half
that as he wrote that the stainless panels are worth $10,000 by themselves.
I've lost the pics he sent, but I believe the engine needs a top rebuild,
plus lots of other items (louvers, windshield, fascias, etc.). I asked for
frame pics but never received them.  His earlier pictures also showed the
interior was "redone" in some fashion but not as one would expect in a
DeLorean.  Also, I think the mileage is way past the implied 26,000.
I think it would be a great $5,000 project car, but good luck getting him
down that far.

KermitP

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:16:42 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH Performance Exhaust

Thanks for your reply Jeff!
Some performance gain, the throatier sound and just letting the
engine *breath a little more were what I was hoping for.   I'm not
having the II engine put in the car, but I figured the performance
exhaust is a nice addition.
Anyone on this list have a car with this exhust?
Christian

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Friday"
<DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Christian,
>>
>> What are your reasons for wanting it?  There's a few things to

consider,

>> style, performance gains, sound?
>>
>> I personally do not have the performance exhaust (or a car anymore

for that

>> matter) but I have had a chance to see it close up and talk to

owners who

>> have experienced it for themselves.
>>
>> It is a very precisely done VERY proffessionally built system.  It

looks to

>> feature a "flowmaster" type muffler and high flow Cats.  It's

design allows

>> for awesome backpressure release and from what I gather is a major

player in

>> the DMC Stage 2 Engine.  Exhaust is a very important key for

performance and

>> DMC's exhaust is definitely what you need.  Not only is the

throttle

>> response MUCH better but the car really feels more alive...runs

alot

>> smoother and just overall kicks more rear.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:48:09 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Engine bogdown.

Since you're taking my name in vain, I'll chime in.  ;-)

If your symptoms seem that similar to mine, and you've checked
everything else (which it seems like you have), I'd definitely start
looking at the ignition.

How do you check plug wire resistance? With an ohm meter or multi-
meter. All you do is set the meter for the "thousands" scale and
place one probe on each end (you have to remove the wire to do this).

I like digital ohm or multi-meters best. Plain, store-bought wires
are around 1200 ohms (1.2k ohms) per wire. If you're reading
O.L, "open" or "infinite" resistance, then the wire is worn beyond
use or broken. I bought John Hervey's low resistance, silicone
wires. They are about 650 ohms per foot so they're between 650 and
800 ohms.

Check your spark plugs. Are they fouled? Is the electrode worn more
than it should be?

Remove your cap and rotor. Are they heavily carbon scored? Is your
distributor cap cracked? (check for fine cracks).

All my stuff was less than a year old when it failed. Why? Because
the wires were not of sufficient quality, and I over-gapped the
plugs causing extra wear at the rotor and cap. I was using a hot
coil thinking I was smarter than the engineers who built the engine.

If you want to upgrade your ignition, buy DMCH's kit. It's
researched and tested. Otherwise, follow the bible specs like a good
little DeLorean disciple and avoid the wrath of the DMC-ordained
high-priests.  ;-)

Sorry for the long post. I hope you get it sorted out.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Ok guys, here we go with my new problem.
>>
>> Start the car - cranks and fires right away.  Idles
>> beautifully, lambda system unhooked and air/fuel screw
>> adjusted for "perfect" steady idle.  Lightly push the
>> accelerator, car runs ok.  Push the pedal to 1200
>> rpms+ (I would guess about 1/4 push down on the
>> pedal), and the engine stutters heavily, cylinders
>> popping on and off completely randomly, extreme engine
>> bogdown.  If the car maintains a steady speed and the
>> pedal is pressed firmly while keeping a slowly
>> incrasing speed, the engine is strong and runs great.
>> If the pedal is pushed very hard and firm from a dead
>> stop, the car almost loses power completely; one can
>> feel the car almost give up it loses so much power.
>>
>> This is with the engine cold, warm, or hot - anytime.
>> My symptoms sound EXTREMELY similar if not identical
>> to Rich Acuti's article on "General Tuneup Issues" at
>> http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/tuneup.html .

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:38:26 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Carfax

People put waaay to much faith in Carfax. Generally what it lists is
accurate, the problem with it (like  with people) is that it does not
know what it doesn't know. I bought a 2002 BMW that was a US spec car
delivered in Germany in 2002 and brought into the US in 2004. As far
as Carfax is concerned, the car fell out of the sky with 25000 miles
in it in 2004.

With DeLoreans, anything that happened prior to the time when states
started keeping and sharing electronic records is invisible. If you
find a car that has been out of the country or in a barn for the past
20 years, it won't show up at all.

The general rule with Carfax is that while it can SHOW problems with
prior owners, it can't rule them out. In other words, cars with
problems probably have problems,  but cars that show "clean" may not
be. There's no substitute for a good first-hand inspection.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <delornut_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> I bought my DeLorean new in June 1982. The state of Minnesota

registered it

>> as a 'Special', and never used the word DeLorean on the title. My

car won't

>> show up in Carfax either because of that. When I applied for

collector

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:01:08 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

I swear that I've seen this vehicle for sale a couple of years ago on
eBay, and that those are not updated pictures. I remember this one
vividly, because it's in a junked up garage, with a new set of Cooper
Cobras.

I'd really make sure to visit this one in person, before you go
bidding on it.

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:07:59 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

It says mine is too SCEDT26T7BD001458

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:47:34 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey there,

I spoke with the owner when it was listed for like the 2nd or 3rd
time and apparently he bought it as a project car and doesn't have
the money to finish it.  I made an offer but at the time he felt he
could get like 10 to 12k for it or something.  It has kept moving
itself down as time moves along.  I did see it actually sell to some
other eBay car dealer type but apparently the deal never went
through.

If you ask him, I believe he'll send you some more photos.  As for
the seats, I like what he did, but those fascias and engine issues
are definitely a problem.  If you're interested I'd offer 6k as
atleast the stainless looks ok and it atleast has an engine (as mine
didn't at 5k but didn't have some of his other problems).  It's
always a trade off but ask for pics of the undercarriage and see if
he'll take less.

Sadly, I think he'll wait it out until he gets the 8k he wants as he
listed it at 9k for like several months with nothing....and now is
at 8k and will probably maintain persistence.  I was interested in
his engine as I was hoping to get a deal on it (since it has
compression problems) but no luck as he was also looking for too
much on it.

I believe it'll probably stay on eBay until he lets it go at 5k with
no reserve...then bidders will probably chime in and take it up to
7k.....maybe? lol

Anyways....good luck!

Brandon
Vin 3323

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:17:02 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

What you describe sounds spark related. I would recommend you check
carefully the routing of the vacuum lines from the thermo vacuum
switch and the operation of the vacuum solenoid including the
throttle micro switch. If that proves fruitless then check the rest
of the spark system.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:56:52 +1000
From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>
Subject: AUSSIE DELOREAN WEB SITE

>>G-Day ..... please note that the Australian DeLorean web site is now
>>at www.zeta.org.au/~lanceh/delorean

Thank you,

Lance Haslewood
DELANEY CREEK  QLD  4515
Australia

61 7 5496 4424

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:40:40 -0400
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Monthly contest

Hey all - I have a new monthly contest available on my website (took me a
few weeks to get it all put together).  Check it out at
http://www.babbtechnology.com/Contest/index.htm

Thanks, and good luck!

Michael

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:21:47 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Woodward Dream Cruise

For those of you planning to attend the Woodward Dream Cruise this
Saturday, if you can get out to the Detroit area on Friday it will
definitely be worth your while. There is a ton of cruising going on
all day Friday; in fact the driving is better than on Saturday because
it is nearly a parking lot that day.

I definitely plan on being out there both Friday and Saturday, hope to
see a few of you as well! This is literally the largest cruise in the
world, and there are several Ds that will be attending.  Look for many
of us next to the McDonald's on Woodward near 9 Mile Rd.  Shannon
Yocom of the Ohio club is the primary source of info for that.

Also, here is a link for the cruise itself:

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

Sandor
# 3002

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:21:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Co2 set

If the Lambda isn't running at idle you probably have bad connections
preventing full voltage to the ECU so it shuts down. Above idle the
voltage goes up enough for the ECU to come back on again. There is no
way you can properly set the CO if the Lambda is not running at idle.
Check out the plugs by the ignition coil in the bulkhead and the
ground connection for the frequency valve. You can set the CO "in the
neighborhood" by ear but there is no substitute for the right test
equipment.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> It's amazing how little you guys know about the frequency valve and the
>> mixture adjustment.... Let me say this - YOUR CO IS WRONG! It will

need to

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:26:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you are correct about the fuel pressures then you have to consider
the ignition side of the equation. Make sure the vacuum AND mechanical
advance work and work correctly. You can check the ignition wires with
an ohmmeter. Pull and clean and regap the plugs and make sure the
ignition wires snap on tight to the plugs when you reinstall them.
Short of this you can go to a shop with an engine analyzer and they
can scope the secondary ignition system and find the problem. Make
sure the air filter isn't restricting you or the cat.

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:35:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Noise from fuel pump

 I think part of the problem is a restriction in the feed to the fuel
pump. Hot fuel will vaporize easier than cold fuel so any restriction
will make the fuel vaporize easier the hotter the fuel is. It is very
important that the fuel pick-up hose is not spongy soft and is not
kinked when it is installed. Put a spring inside if you have to. That
fuel pump moves a lot of fuel and can create quite a suction, enough
to collapse a soft hose. Once the hose collapses the pump will starve
for fuel. It will get noisy and wear out. The fuel cools it and
lubricates it. The problem is always more noticeable the lower the
level of fuel in the tank and the higher the ambient temperature. The
heat shield may help with the problem but a spring in the hose will do
more. If you have an old hose that is not stiff maybe get a new,
stiffer one. I would use the spring anyway. It is very important that
you do not twist or kink the hose as you install the pump. Any slight
kink will collapse the hose once it gets hot and the pump puts a
vacuum on it.

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_h...> wr

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:41:06 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Brad Hall as John DeLorean

I heard somewhere that Brad Hall played John on Saturday Night Live once or twice.
Does anyone remember this?  What was the skit about?
Corey

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:24:57 -0000
From: "rickmichaels" <rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dream Cruise Party

I am going to have a get together this Saturday night (8-20-05) at my
house in Ferndale, MI for all those who want to stop out after
cruising Woodward.  I am just about 1 mile away from Woodward, enough
distance to get away from the crowds.  DeLoreans and other classics
are welcomed out..if you don't have your D with you just come out and
talk cars.  My address is 2386 Brickley St, Ferndale, MI 48220.  If
you are on Woodward, you can take I-696(near 10 mile) East, take the
next exit, Campbell Hilton, take a right on Hilton, Left on the next
street Brickley, I am about 3.5 blocks down on the right..White house
with blue trim. House has 2 big trees in the front yard. If you get
lost give me a call 616-405-9195 Hope to see you all there!

Rick Michaels
vin#0802

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:33:59 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

I killed a Bosch pump in the desert once by putting cold gasoline on it.
  I know an owner who did the same in Las Vegas.  Be careful, the pump
is weak and will quit directly.  Give me a call, we'll replace it with
proper documentation.  It will act better when the weather cools, but
should not be relied on.
Warren at DMC
800 872 3621