Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2800
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:16 Aug 2005 15:04:00 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Brad Hall as John DeLorean
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

2. Customs and registration
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. RE: Re: Co2 set
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

4. Re: Woodward Dream Cruise / Re: Party
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Ford Powered DeLorean "from the factory"
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. SEDOC
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

7. Re: Carfax
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

8. And for my NEXT problem... :)
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Stainless Steel ... Keyboard
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Carfax
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Black Beauty AC issue
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Anyone going to the festivities at Monterey this week Aug 16-21?
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

13. Italdesign
From: "Chris " <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Carfax
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Valley of death coating
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: And for my NEXT problem... :)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Re: Black Beauty AC issue
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

18. RE: Valley of death coating
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

19. Re: Valley of death coating
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

20. RE: Valley of death coating
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Re: Valley of death coating
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

22. Re: Valley of death coating
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. RE: Black Beauty AC issue
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. DML 10th anniversary
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

25. Happy 10th Birthday DML!
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:44:57 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Brad Hall as John DeLorean

In a message dated 08/15/2005 10:30:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

I heard  somewhere that Brad Hall played John on Saturday Night Live once or
twice.
Does anyone remember this?  What was the skit  about?
Corey
2423

The spoof was called "DeLorean House". It aired on October 28,  1982.   Brad
Hall was JZD, Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Seinfeld  character Elaine) was Christina,
and do you remember the TV show WKPR  in Cincinnati? The character actor
Howard Hessman that played Dr. Johnny  Feelgood?  He was the DeLorean's butler.
Eddie Murphy was the dry  cleaner & DeLorean car hater.

In short, the spoof was about making fun of how naive Christina  DeLorean was
and how cunning JZD was.  The butler is  making breakfast/pancakes for the
DeLorean family. The Bisquick &  sugar boxes are everywhere. JZD gets upset at
the butler for using the bisquick  & sugar. He is trying in vain to package the
bisquick &  sugar into his suitcase...he is going to California to meet some
new investors  to save DMC.

Mike

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:51:33 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Customs and registration

Well, Black Beauty went through customs this morning, these guy's are
wrapped around the axel and want to charge duty on everything.  Well I
convinced him that duty had already been paid back in 81.  So all my
forms were stamped signed and sealed.

Off to the MVA, they don't like doing imports very much either, but I
got my historic tags even without the proof that the DMC went out of
business in 83.

So all is well.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Bernie

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:07:54 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Co2 set

Correct Dave,

No subsitute for the right equipment.  You can set it by ear but once the
car is running well take it somewhere where you can use the proper device to
measure the CO.  Also you're dead on about the grounds and the LAMBDA
running or not running at Idle.  We had to replace almost the entire system
on a car out here.  Frequency Valve wouldn't come on at all.  Once we
swapped out several bad components and tightened up the grounds It came on
and buzzed strongly at idle.

Jeff in NC

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Woodward Dream Cruise / Re: Party

I know of 8 cars that will be at The McDonald's on Sat.
The address is listed on the DCO's "Event" tab:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/events.htm for those who want to stop by.
Project Vixen & Monte's excellent BTTF conversion will be in attendance!
Marv Stein (9th car) will be a few blocks south near Taco Bell.

Rick,
I will pass along your Woodward Party info to the others. Hopefully we can meet
up.

Shannon Y
16506

---------------------
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:21:47 -0000
   From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Woodward Dream Cruise

For those of you planning to attend the Woodward Dream Cruise this
Saturday, if you can get out to the Detroit area on Friday it will
definitely be worth your while. There is a ton of cruising going on
all day Friday; in fact the driving is better than on Saturday because
it is nearly a parking lot that day.

I definitely plan on being out there both Friday and Saturday, hope to
see a few of you as well! This is literally the largest cruise in the
world, and there are several Ds that will be attending.  Look for many
of us next to the McDonald's on Woodward near 9 Mile Rd.  Shannon
Yocom of the Ohio club is the primary source of info for that.

Also, here is a link for the cruise itself:

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

Sandor
# 3002

---------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:24:57 -0000
   From: "rickmichaels" <rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dream Cruise Party

I am going to have a get together this Saturday night (8-20-05) at my
house in Ferndale, MI

Rick Michaels
vin#0802

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:55:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ford Powered DeLorean "from the factory"

Whaddya know!
Some of the "I-know-more-than-the-owner" spectators at car shows may unknowingly
actually be on to something while confusing the Bricklin with the DeLorean ...
because there actually was a DeLorean that came with a 6 cyl carbureted Ford
engine. Check out Ebay #4567856006  ( http://tinyurl.com/9ragk ).
 :-)

Shannon Y

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:04:39 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>
Subject: SEDOC

I was wondering if the Southeastern Delorean Owners Club (SEDOC) is
still around and if there is an event planned for this fall. All the
links I can find go nowhere.  A cruise over to north Georgia would be
nice...once my AC is fixed that is.

Marty Galbreath

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:00:44 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Carfax

I need to add a little more to Dave Swingle's cautionary note.

I have had a "garage queen" DeLorean since 1990 with very low
miles and after checking CarFax on it a few years ago, I was
able to confirm that the "brain surgeon" doing an emmissions
test on my car a number of years ago mis-read the odometer
and somehow added about 80,000 miles to my mileage reading in
one year.  Needless to say, I took off the plates and have not
driven it much since then, since I do not need the emmissions
place lowering the value of my car.

The apparent mileage change does appear on the CarFax report.

>> People put waaay to much faith in Carfax. Generally what it lists is
>> accurate, the problem with it (like  with people) is that it does

not

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:29:50 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: And for my NEXT problem... :)

Hey all, been a while. I recently had a complete Valeo clutch kit
installed on my DeLorean, plus a 12~ something grade shift linkage
pivot that will (supposedly) never break like my old one did. She
ran great for about 3 weeks. Then! Suddenly! *dramatic music here*
The DeLorean started to threaten to stall on me. Now bear in mind
that I've spent almost $4K on restoring this thing. I told
myself, "Ok, John. You had the main wiring harness redone. You have
new spark plugs, plug wires, cap, & rotor. You have new vacuum
hoses, fuel pump and accumulator." So I figured it couldn't possibly
be the ignition system. It had to be the trans as that's the last
thing that I got worked on. The strange thing is, the car only
threatens to stall when you first accelerate from a dead stop. Say,
at a stop sign or a light. As you go through the first 2 or 3 gears,
the engine sputters and the car will jerk forward repeatedly. But,
when I'm on the freeway or highway in 4-5th gears, doing 50-88mph
(lol), she runs fine! Weird, huh? I've sent it in to the local
repair shop and they should tell me what the new problem is. But
have any of you ever experienced something like this? Such...horror?
Oh the humanity! A non-running DeLorean!
-proceeds to cry-
I'm just kidding
...okay, I'm good now. Hope your day is better than mine.
John Rydholm
Romeo, Michigan

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:06:55 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Stainless Steel ... Keyboard

Group.

Check out this link and tell me if the keyboard will complement nicely
with the D.  A Delorean with a built in keyboard to control the engine
functions comes into mind.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20050813/etc_fmkey.html

A tad pricey though, at $350 a pop.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:43:26 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

I got the car back through customs and registered it today.  Mike
Pack and I, well really Mike worked on it all weekend, man is it hot
out there.  The car smells of mothballs like you can't believe.
Anybody go an idea how to get the smell out.  I leave the doors open
with the battery disconnected just to try and air it out.  I think I
may have really screwed up my sinuses (sp?)

All see next post for more of the saga of Black Beauty.

Bernie

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:47:00 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Black Beauty AC issue

All,

I have been on the phone all day looking for anywhere in Maryland to
recharge the AC system with R12, no one has any, that I can find.

So how hard is it to convert to R134, and what parts do I need to
replace.  If I have to replace an accumulator, I have a brand new one.

I will post photos soon, of both cars, but the SS one looks like all of
the others, now Black Beauty, thats a different story.  It still has
all original parts on it with the exception of the relay upgrade.

Thanks,

Bernie

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:59:54 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Anyone going to the festivities at Monterey this week Aug 16-21?

Just checking.

Sincerely
Mike Pack

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:37:10 -0000
From: "Chris " <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Italdesign

I really liked the Italdesign logo on the rear bumper, just not the
placement. I put a photo of the ones on my car in the photo section.
Inside of the glass, of course.

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:25:56 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

On older cars (like Deloreans) you have to look at Carfax with a
little interpetation. The info is not always correct and much can be
missing. Worse than that it is difficult to correct it. In the case of
Deloreans  one of the "best" sources of info are the major vendors.
They all keep pretty good records of service work. Where it gets
difficult is when they sell parts. There is not a good record of what
parts are sold to which car (the present owner, not the car). This is
not really a vendor's problem, it is just the nature of a "parts"
business. When buying a used car like a Delorean it DOES matter if the
owner can provide decent records of all service and parts. You an also
recreate the "Chain of Ownership" by searching all of the States that
the car was registered in. In the end the seller MUST be able to
provide a "clean" title and if the buyer is not competant enough to do
a THOURGH pre-purchase inspection then he should have one done by an
expert. Anything less and the buyer will have no grounds for recourse.
This is just a good reason NEVER to buy a car at an auction unless you
KNOW the car BEFORE. Do not base your buying decsion on a Carfax
report and if the title is not PERFECT (salvage, misprints, typos,
smudges, numbers not matching) keep looking.

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:31:07 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Valley of death coating

I am down in the valley where the deep pits are, I have seen the pics of the
rotted pit and I am scared. What can (or should) I coat the valley with that
will stick good to protect this unseen area?
Regards,
Charles

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:47:59 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: And for my NEXT problem... :)

Throwing parts at a problem doesn't always fix it. First of all by
"shotgunning" you may not have replaced the BAD part. Secondly you
have to put the parts in correctly and make certain adjustments, again
correctly. I would guess an ignition problem. It may not be but it is
the most likely place to start and you DO have to start somewhere.
Check the mechanical AND vacuum advance. Maybe the ignition coil. Very
unlikey this has anything to do with the transmission. BTW it is
possible to damage new parts as they are installed. Particularly
ignition wires. If they are pulled on the core inside can be broken
and the wire is now garbage. Not visible externally but an ohmmeter
can tell.

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:36:31 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Black Beauty AC issue

Bernie wrote:

>>All,
>>
>>I have been on the phone all day looking for anywhere in Maryland to
>>recharge the AC system with R12, no one has any, that I can find.
>>
>>So how hard is it to convert to R134, and what parts do I need to
>>replace.  If I have to replace an accumulator, I have a brand new one.
>>
>>I will post photos soon, of both cars, but the SS one looks like all of
>>the others, now Black Beauty, thats a different story.  It still has
>>all original parts on it with the exception of the relay upgrade.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Bernie

Well. What it takes to do the conversion really depends on who you ask,
who does the work, or what your willing to risk.  If you have an AC
place do the work, then most likly they'll tell you they need to replace
pretty much everything.. as they're after your cash.. (at least all the
ones i've ever had dealings with have been like that). From the
conversions i've done, and seen done.. Your probably best off replacing
the accumulator (especially if you allready have one) to eliminate any
r12 contamination, and the orifice tube. Though to be honest i've seen
at least one conversion to 134a that NO parts were changed on.. the
system was simply put under a vaccum then charged with 134a and ester
oil. As far as I know it's been working at least 3 years now so far with
no problems(after the original leaky connection was fixed)
.
On an AC note though.. When I get that far with my D as to needing to
worry about the AC system.. is there any reason why I shouldn't just
convert it from it's original bottom connector accumulator to one of the
later side connector versions since i'm planning on replacing the nearly
25 year old AC hoses anyway? (i'll be replacing the accumulator anyway
since i'll be converting it to 134a.. and $30 for one of the later ones
sounds much better than $150 for the bottom fed ones the 81's had up
until whichever vin they changed it)

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:39:28 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Valley of death coating

Jeremiah in Florida patched his up with JB WELD I believe.  If I'm correct I
think it worked like a charm.

Clean down there thoroughly.  Soak it overnight in degreaser and then wet
vac the openings out.  Next get some tiny detail brushes to brush all the
dry grit out.  It a time consuming job but I've doen it about 3 times
already.  One car was just plain scary to look at but thankfully no rotting
through.  The main contributor to "Valley Rot" is coolant that leaks
unchecked and unnoticed slowly from the waterpump or Y-Pipe.  Once you've
replaced all hoses and seals fill the system before going any further with
reassembly to check for leaks.

I think that if you want to be safe fill it in with a light coat of JB Weld.
  However, if no real damage in the holes is apparent you won't need to do
anything once the area is degreased and dried.

My advice is to keep the car out of the rain and make sure the cooling
system is sealed.

Jeff in NC

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:46:55 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

This is one of those topics that produces a lot of opinions because
it's something that individual owners make a choice about, not a
fact of manufacture.

It is my understanding that most people who suffer a rupture of the
engine block in that spot, do so because of long ocurring coolant
leaks. The anti-freeze ages, becomes corrosive and eats the aluminum.

Some people fill the voids with a variety of materials, like epoxy,
rubber, etc. Some people paint the area with hi-temp engine paints.
I suppose you could powdercoat it too.

My -opinion- is that many of those solutions are fine, but the most
important thing you can do, is ensure that your cooling system is in
good repair, and isn't weeping into the valley. Keep the valley
clean and dry and you should be ok.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_h...>

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:43:20 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Charles, What I do after cleaning and vacuuming out all the goo, then the
final clean with Naphtha or Lighter fluid to get rid of oil that might be in
the metal and then I coat with 3M black undercoating. When it sticks it's
stuck. Let stand for a hour or 2 and then do it again. That is one of the
hardest products for get off a caliper when the underbody of a car has been
sprayed with it. It's almost the ultimate protection.

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:26:16 -0500
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

When I do my Thermal Vacuum Switch changeout and vacuum hose renewal to
that area later this season, I plan on giving the Valley of Death a
little TLC treatment with a good cleaning and coat with POR-15.

Regards,
Wayne/ VIN2447
www.AA9DY.com

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:38:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You really do not need to paint it at all but if you prefer to there
is a great product called "Glyptol". It is a heavy red insulating
paint that is used to insulate the windings in electric motors. You
can get it at any shop that rebuilds electric motors or Eastwood sells
it. It sticks to castings well and is easy to clean. It is used by
engine rebuilders mainly inside the engine to make it easier to clean,
seal any porous castings, and promote faster drain-back. Try to clean
the surface as well as you can before you paint. If you replace the
seals and keep the coolant system tight you won't have any problem in
there.

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:47:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Bernie, It's not hard to convert. Get out all the R12 mineral oil and put
about 7 to 8 oz of R134A oil, a shop can do that replace the accumulator and
your done and Recharge.
John Hervey
I can get R12 if you still want it or Freeze 12 Replacement I have in stock.

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:06:02 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DML 10th anniversary

Just happened to be consolidating some older computer files and I read DML
posting #001, dated 8/16/05:

"In two days of operation, the DeLorean Mailing List has TEN subscribers!"

I didn't see anyone comment on it, (though I confess I no longer read every
posting!) so maybe it went unnoticed.  So let me say Happy Anniversary, and
Thank You to all past & present moderators for a job well done.  Keep up the good
work.

Wayne A. Ernst
vin 11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:52:13 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Happy 10th Birthday DML!

August 16, 1995 was a slow day on the DML with only two posts, but it
was it's *birthday.   James Espey did'nt know it at the time, but he
started an invaluable online service for Delorean owners and
unthusiasts around the world.   Thanks James!
Christian