Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2802
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:17 Aug 2005 15:29:50 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Ford Powered DeLorean "from the factory"
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Valley of death coating Eastwood Products
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

3. R12 and R134a
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: DML 10th anniversary
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. DML 10th anniversary/DCS
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. Emissions
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Re: What motor oil to use.
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Re: best battery to put in
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Customs and registration
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Anyone going to the festivities at Monterey this week Aug 16-21?
From: Faded N Jaded <fadednjaded_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

11. Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. R&R A/C accumulator
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

13. how do i depressure the fuel system?
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

14. Re: Recurring offer on eBay
From: "CG" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Door Strut Mounting Posts
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

16. Re: Re: best battery to put in
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. RE: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Re: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: Emissions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: how do i depressure the fuel system?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Re: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?
From: "CG" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Fuel Gauge
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Are these original seat covers or reproductions? Color doesn't match interior
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/Vendors participation wanted
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

25. Re: Door Strut Mounting Posts
From: Jeff Angiwn <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:06:41 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ford Powered DeLorean "from the factory"

Anyone going to drive this beast to Pheasant Run?

How about it VideoBob? For your collection of oddball Delorean stuff,
this is the ultimate. Though not as sleek as the DMC-12.

It sure would be fun to pre-register at car shows for a Delorean, then
show up in this thing.  :-)

-Joe O'Brien

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Whaddya know!
>> Some of the "I-know-more-than-the-owner" spectators at car shows may

unknowingly

>> actually be on to something while confusing the Bricklin with the

DeLorean ...

>> because there actually was a DeLorean that came with a 6 cyl

carbureted Ford

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:23:54 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Valley of death coating Eastwood Products

Eastwood.com

has some good products such as a great rust remover & engine  restoration
paints etc that I have used before. I recommend them.  I'm not  affliliated just
a satisfied customer.

My English wheel arrived yesterday from them. Stay tuned!

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:54:27 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: R12 and R134a

It would seem that summer time is the time for lots of A/C posts.  At
this time I need to replace all three main A/C hoses. The ones from
the comp. to condensor, comp to evaporator, and condensor to
evaporator.  There is no freon charge left as it all has leaked out
and the compressor clutch kicks on and off real fast so I'm not
running it anymore.  I'm just using the vents on speed 4(just replaced
the circuit breaker).

I was wondering if at this point should I convert my car to use R134a
from the original R12. My car also has the early style accumulator
still installed.  Would I have to replace that as well?  What is the
difference between the two refridgerents?  I know that I can actually
go and get R134a more easily that R12.  Other than that though I am
not sure.

Thanks for all of the help

Japheth Deaux
VIN:1223

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:25:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DML 10th anniversary

Post 001, 8/16/05??  Is that a Y2K bug?

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:53:15 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DML 10th anniversary/DCS

If it were not for the DML There would not have been a DCS back in 1998

Almost all registrations came from the DML back then.

And it obviously has played a big part in the subsequent shows

Happy Anniversary DML

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:44:27 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Emissions

OK, I know absolutely NOTHING about emmisions, or how to fix emissions problems,
so I need some advise.  The state of Illinois standards are, 2.00 for hydrocarbons and
60.0 for carbon monoxide.  My D is running at 3.82 for hydrocarbons and 182.3 for
carbon monoxide.  What do I need to do?
Corey

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:39:52 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: What motor oil to use.

Synthetic oils are best.... But pricey.

I have experimented with different brands of synthetic oils in my DeLorean
for the last nine and half years.   I have over 102,000 miles using synthetic
oils with no problems and odometer is registering 112,000 plus miles.   BTW, I
also have synthetic gear oil in my manual tranny with major differences in the
tranny operations.   It is smoother and quicker especially in the extreme cold
winter and with no "dino petro" smell in the hot summer temperature as with
the conventional dino petro gear oils.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:25:59 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: best battery to put in

My experiences with batteries.

I had five different batteries in my DeLorean for the last nine and half
years of ownership.   The first batteries were two Delcos, then two Optimas of a
Red and a Yellow Tops and presently a Die Hard.

I had two Delcos in the beginning and both of them die.   The first one
lasted for about eight months and was unable to hold charge.   The second one died
with one dead cell rendering the battery with 10 volts so I decided to
purchase an Optima Battery.

Optima Red and Yellow are the best in the industry, but I didn't have good
luck with them.   My first Optima was a Red Top purchased from PJ Grady and it
have worked in my DeLorean for over two and half years before one of it's cell
died.  I was going have the Red Top replaced under it's prorated program but I
have found out that Rob had dropped the Optima line due to the disappointed
rated of failure and the company's return policy.   Still believing in the
Optima battery's reputation, I purchase a Yellow Top from a car audio shop and
hoping I may have better luck with the Yellow Top.    Unfortunately that battery
only lasted in my DeLorean for exactly thirteen months when it too died just
two days before my birthday.   My friends had heard about my plight with the
Optima battery and they all chipped in and purchased the top of the line of the
Sear's Diehard battery and they gave it to me as a birthday gift.   The Die
Hard is still in my DeLorean for the last seventeen months and so far, so good.
 Anybody has a "better" suggestion for batteries for the future?

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:01:38 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Customs and registration

I think the DMV is getting used to seeing our cars more often, and
now it's a matter of fact that they don't need to see the supporting
documentation (seems like on a month).

john

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Well, Black Beauty went through customs this morning, these guy's

are

>> wrapped around the axel and want to charge duty on everything.

Well

>> convinced him that duty had already been paid back in 81.  So all

my

>> forms were stamped signed and sealed.
>>
>> Off to the MVA, they don't like doing imports very much either, but

>> got my historic tags even without the proof that the DMC went out

of

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Faded N Jaded <fadednjaded_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone going to the festivities at Monterey this week Aug 16-21?

Where in Monterey is this being held and what type of festivity is this?

Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com wrote:Just checking.

Sincerely
Mike Pack

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?

I saw a car collision involving two vehicle on a news broadcast from KCAL-9 in Los Angeles today Aug. 16th at 205pm.  From the aerial view, it looked like the car that was rear ended was a Delorean.  The impact looked like it caused the vehicle to burst into flames.  Did anyone see it?  If you did, was it a Delorean?  I could see the front trunk hood partially raised and the gull-winged doors partially opened.  It was a totally loss..........

If it was, how sad.

Richard
VIN: 2800

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:52:49 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: R&R A/C accumulator

I'm trying to replace the a/c accumulator.  However I can not get
either hose to come loose from the accumulator.  The fittings on the
accumulator are starting to strip.  Before I get to the point where
they are totally stripped I wanted to get some input and see if there
is an easier method for remove the accumulator.

Thanks
Willie
V5043

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:04:08 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: how do i depressure the fuel system?

Hi all

i'm tackling the fuel accumulator in the morning, do i assume that i
remove the fuel pump relay and crank the engine to depressure the
system? can't find it in the manual.

any tips for reducing petrol spillage??

not looking forward to doing this one.

Reading recent posts, i have a leak at the back of my pump so now it
may be time to delve deeper.

Thanx for any advice.

regards

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:07:47 -0000
From: "CG" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Recurring offer on eBay

http://delorean.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Charlie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> I remember seeing a web page where it listed and trackd all

Deloreans

>> sold on eBay. Does anyone know where that page is?
>>
>> Can someone post the url again.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joe O'Brien
>>

>> 2524,
>> 16634,
>> 16851

>> 1981_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46093QQitemZ4568435029QQrdZ1

>> appeared at least once a month for the last four months. Has

anyone

>> on the list seen this in person? I would not pay $8K for something

so

>> questionable, but I think it has potential if the seller would

lower

>> his asking price. I just wonder why he can't even sell it after

all

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:46:22 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Door Strut Mounting Posts

I noticed today getting out of my car that the lower mounting post (one on the body) for the door struts is not completely perpendicular to the body.  It looks like over the years with the doors being closed 99% of the time all of that force has bent the mounting plate for this post outward.  Is this right?  Or were these posts always a little bent out even when new.  The passenger side is the same as well.  I've taken the post out to examine it and it is not bent at all, so it must be whatever mounting plate this thing screws into.  Is there anything I can do to reinforce this post?  It looks like whatever you do you have to remove the headliner to access it, which I will be doing sometime in the near future to redo the headliners.  Is there anything I can do "while I'm in there"?

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:31:36 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

5 Batteries in 9 1/2 years? Sounds like you got an electrical problem.

I have had batteries last 6 years in cars.

My Optima red top is going on a year now with no problems.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:29:55 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?

Hmmmm,

I searched around the TV Stations website.  The video may not be on there
HOWEVER, I did come across a video of a fatal car crash killing 7 people.
The BRIEF aerial clip showed a car by the side of the road for a fraction of
a second.  The player was not interactive so you couldn't rewind or
anything.  Hard to say what the car was.  If it is infact a DeLorean you
have great eyes.

Can you be more specific about the story?  Perhaps it will be on there
website tomorrow if it wasn't on there today.

On a side note watch the video about the man mauled by Chimpanzees returning
home.  YIKES!!

Jeff in NC

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:22:25 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I saw a car collision involving two vehicle on a news broadcast from

KCAL-9 in Los Angeles today Aug. 16th at 205pm.  From the aerial view,
it looked like the car that was rear ended was a Delorean.  The impact
looked like it caused the vehicle to burst into flames.  Did anyone
see it?  If you did, was it a Delorean?  I could see the front trunk
hood partially raised and the gull-winged doors partially opened.  It
was a totally loss..........

>> If it was, how sad.
>>
>> Richard
>> VIN: 2800

Was it the one where that whole family died?  That's the only video I
could see of a car accident from KCAL's website...

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:15:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Emissions

When was the last time the car was tuned up? How old are the parts? If
you can't answer these questions then just replace EVERYTHING. Here is
a list:
Spark Plugs
Distributer cap and rotor
Ignition wires
Fuel filter
Air filter
Oil + oil filter
Clean the fuel injectors
Replace any old, cracked, split, stiff vacuum hoses
Fix all vacuum leaks
Check the mixture setting and timing and adjust if necessary.
You may also need an O2 sensor. Make sure the Lambda is functioning
properly. Depending on your mileage you might have to adjust the valves.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> OK, I know absolutely NOTHING about emmisions, or how to fix

emissions problems,

>> so I need some advise.  The state of Illinois standards are, 2.00

for h2423

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:31:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: how do i depressure the fuel system?

All you have to do is wait. On a tight system it can take a while but
if the accumulater is bad the pressure will drop in just a couple of
minutes. Even with a deppressurized system there is plenty of fuel in
the accumulater and the lines. Be very careful not to get it in your
face. Eye protection is an excellant idea and keep your mouth closed.
When working on fuel I use Nitrile gloves now. Some of the additives
in fuel are nasty and should not come in contact with bare skin.
Keeping  a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher handy is just
common sense. If you get fuel in your face having a bucket of water
nearby will look like a very good idea. Do not use a troublelight or
other ignition source when working on the fuel system. Treat fuel like
the explosive it is. Tell all your smoker friends to come back AFTER
you have finished. Hold back on the hard lines and DO NOT  allow them
to twist. If you damage them you will have to lift the body to replace
them. Just have a large container to catch the spillage, there is A
LOT of fuel in the accumulater. Sitting overnight should depressurize
even a "tight" system. It is not that bad a job, just very tight
working quaters. Use good (not worn) metric wrenches. No pliers or
vise-grips or adjustable wrenches. When done check for leaks and do
not use teflon tape. It is advisable to replace the fuel filter too,
soon after replacing the accumulater.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:12:40 -0000
From: "CG" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hey Richard Im in in studio city and saw the news just now No
Delorean destroyed  :)   But was a sad story to hear.

Charlie
AZ-D

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:07:18 -0000
From: "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel Gauge

Does the DMC-12 factory fuel gauge have any known problems? With my
DMC after pumping in some fuel the gauge wont move/update for several
minutes, several hours and lately its been 2 days and the needle still
wont update.

~ Josh Tidwell
VIN: 04463

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:01:31 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Are these original seat covers or reproductions? Color doesn't match interior

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-Delorean-DMC-12-Delorean-530-actual-miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31830QQitemZ4568958232QQrdZ1

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:35:40 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/Vendors participation wanted

HI cruisers,
I just spoke to John, the owner of McDonalds. He said we are going
to be parked at McDonalds facing the road; there will be plenty of
room for 10-15 D's. He said that a radio station AM 580 will be
there, they are plugging us constantly. He had GTO's in the lot last
year. There will be bleachers set up in front of us that seat about
100 people. We will be highly visible from Woodward. The church
parking lot is reserved for "Pinto's" or the likes of...says John.

John will be there before 6:00AM local police and firefighters will
be having a free breakfast at 6: am. Woodward starts getting nutty
around 12:00pm in the Ferndale area.
Byron

I asked John if a Delorean Vendor sent me DeLorean souveneers/ Back
to the future cars and non back to the future / 1/18th scales and or
1/24th a few tee shirts or other small items that I could sell for
cash on his premise. He has no problem with that, would be happy to
assist our club.
If there is any vendor willing to ship me a box of toys ASAP, I will
sell what I can and shipyou back the money and leftovers. I am
willing to do this for nothing as I would love to inspire onlookers
to our vehicles.
Call me 248-961-3520 I will give you shipping details. I need to
receive goods by this Friday.
Byron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> For those of you planning to attend the Woodward Dream Cruise this
>> Saturday, if you can get out to the Detroit area on Friday it will
>> definitely be worth your while. There is a ton of cruising going

on

>> all day Friday; in fact the driving is better than on Saturday

because

>> it is nearly a parking lot that day.
>>
>> I definitely plan on being out there both Friday and Saturday,

hope to

>> see a few of you as well! This is literally the largest cruise in

the

>> world, and there are several Ds that will be attending.  Look for

many

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:22:50 -0700
From: Jeff Angiwn <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Door Strut Mounting Posts

I had the same problem (caused by the strut being too long for the car
geometry) After getting my struts fixed, I installed Grady's extra heavy
duty mounts. Works great!

http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=7

Jeff Angwin
VIN 3034