Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2804
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:18 Aug 2005 15:31:13 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Fuel Gauge
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: Are these original seat covers or reproductions? Color doesn't match interior
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. Re: how do i depressure the fuel system?
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: Are these original seat covers or reproductions? Color doesn't match interior
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

5. Re: Re: best battery to put in
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: And for my NEXT problem... :)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. "Cheap DeLorean" For Sale
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/Vendors participation wanted
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

9. Re: Ford Powered DeLorean "from the factory"
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

10. Re: Black Beauty AC issue
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

11. Re: Re: best battery to put in
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

12. Upcoming Delorean sweep?
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com

13. Performance Exhaust for Delorean
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. free DMCA owners guide
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>

15. RE: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. DMCA manual is no longer available
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>

17. RE: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Automaniac
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: Performance Exhaust for Delorean
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

20. Re: Re: Are these original seat covers or reproductions? Color
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

21. Engine runs rough after pop & smoke from engine bay
From: "deepdmc" <deepdmc12_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>

22. Re: Performance Exhaust for Delorean
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

23. Re: how do i depressure the fuel system?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

24. Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. Re: Upcoming Delorean sweep?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:46:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge

The origional sender unit is known to be unreliable and inaccurate. It
is easily replaced (in fact it is recommended you replace it). The
gauge itself is pretty good, it is just the sender that has "issues".

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:55:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Are these original seat covers or reproductions? Color doesn't match interior

Mike,

These have got to be the Houston repros, contrary to what the seller says.  These are not original, but in the pics I think they match well.  You kind of have to wonder, though, why a car with 530 miles needed new leather.... (?)

Jake Kamphoefner

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-Delorean-DMC-12-Delorean-530-actual-miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31830QQitemZ4568958232QQrdZ1

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:29:08 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: how do i depressure the fuel system?

Steve, as long as the car is off (and you have disconnected the
battery - of course) you won't have any pressure in the fuel lines.

As for spilled fuel, my best advise is to wear eye protection and keep
your mouth closed!  You won't drain the car by removing the
accumulator, so don't worry about a giant mess.

The absolute best way to replace the fuel accumulator, is to get your
car on a lift.  Out here in AZ we have a small shop that rents their
lifts to us for $16 an hour.  A small price to pay for a cramped job.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:02:51 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

Not sure if the seats have been redone, but if you look closely you can
see that the binnacle is a redone unit (looks like John Herveys). Car
sure has some eyebrows for being in storage for all this time. Might
have been outside? Don't see what else could cause the eyebrows and a
cracked binnacle.

Or mileage is not accurate...

-Derek #10084

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:23:46 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: best battery to put in

No electrical problems with my DeLorean.... There are several electrical
components with high current demands such as a high end audio amplifier for one.
 I do drive my DeLorean daily if not every other day logging on one hundred
plus miles during the usage.   A good part of the driving time is in heavy
crawling or sitting in the NYC's traffic at rush hours which will make the
electrical demand see saw between the battery and the alternator.   BTW... PJ Grady
do services my DeLorean, so any problems will be corrected.    My DeLorean will
be going to him next week for servicing and upgrades.

Kayo Ong
Lic   9D NY

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:19:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: And for my NEXT problem... :)

Before you do anything involving a mechanic, put some gas drier in it. Sounds like a small amount of water in the tank to me.

"If you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras."

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:53:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: "Cheap DeLorean" For Sale

Was approached at a local car show & passing the info along...

For Sale:
'81
Automatic
12,000
- body panels/frame in great shape
- interior rough/needs work
- engine rough/needs work
asking $8,500
wants to move it fast willing to negotiate

Extra Items for an Extra Cost:
- extra lower half of engine
- extra doors rough shape
- extra rear suspension rough, stored outside
- extra frame/underbody rough, stored outside

Contact Info:
Ron Rummel
Body Works
Pioneer, OH (by Michigan boarder)
419-737-2667

------------------------
Thats all the info I was given.

Shannon Y

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:32:25 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/Vendors participation wanted

Byron,

I wish I would have known you were thinking about this last week,
since I had a great opportunity to buy Johnny Lightning BTTF cars
and Polar Lights BTTF snap fit models way below cost on Saturday
at the Johnny Lightning convention and car show.

I did buy a case of each, just for kicks, so if you have no takers
from the vendors, let me know if you want to sell some of these.

FYI - I have a member of the DeLorean Club of Germany visiting me,
arriving at noon Saturday, so I will not be attending the cruise.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_m...>
wrote:

>> HI cruisers,
>>
>> I asked John if a Delorean Vendor sent me DeLorean souveneers/

Back

>> to the future cars and non back to the future / 1/18th scales and

or

>> 1/24th a few tee shirts or other small items that I could sell for
>> cash on his premise. He has no problem with that, would be happy

>> assist our club.
>> If there is any vendor willing to ship me a box of toys ASAP, I

will

>> sell what I can and shipyou back the money and leftovers. I am
>> willing to do this for nothing as I would love to inspire

onlookers

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:25:34 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Ford Powered DeLorean "from the factory"

FYI - a similar model (in Michigan) was sold this last winter
in a local auto trader magazine.  The vehicle went for $12,500.
These do come up, from time to time, being sold by ski resorts,
but most of the ones that I have seen are diesel powered units.

No, I did not buy it to play tug-o-war with the D Rex, but if
another ski resort in the area sells one in the next 9 months,
I may consider buying it and bringing it to Pheasant Run.
I think it would really do a number on the golf course.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Anyone going to drive this beast to Pheasant Run?
>>
>> How about it VideoBob? For your collection of oddball Delorean

stuff,

>> this is the ultimate. Though not as sleek as the DMC-12.
>>
>> It sure would be fun to pre-register at car shows for a Delorean,

then

 Check out Ebay #4567856006  ( http://tinyurl.com/9ragk ).

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:49:27 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Black Beauty AC issue

I know of a shop by Dulles airport that will recharge the car with
R12.
Contact me off list if interested.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

> [...]

one.

all of

has

>> Well. What it takes to do the conversion really depends on who you

ask,

>> who does the work, or what your willing to risk.  If you have an AC
>> place do the work, then most likly they'll tell you they need to

replace

>> pretty much everything.. as they're after your cash.. (at least

all the

>> ones i've ever had dealings with have been like that). From the
>> conversions i've done, and seen done.. Your probably best off

replacing

>> the accumulator (especially if you allready have one) to eliminate

any

>> r12 contamination, and the orifice tube. Though to be honest i've

seen

>> at least one conversion to 134a that NO parts were changed on.. the
>> system was simply put under a vaccum then charged with 134a and

ester

>> oil. As far as I know it's been working at least 3 years now so

far with

>> no problems(after the original leaky connection was fixed)
>> .
>> On an AC note though.. When I get that far with my D as to needing

>> worry about the AC system.. is there any reason why I shouldn't

just

>> convert it from it's original bottom connector accumulator to one

of the

>> later side connector versions since i'm planning on replacing the

nearly

>> 25 year old AC hoses anyway? (i'll be replacing the accumulator

anyway

>> since i'll be converting it to 134a.. and $30 for one of the later

ones

>> sounds much better than $150 for the bottom fed ones the 81's had

up

>> until whichever vin they changed it)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Chris
>> VIN# 03209
>> http://badger.brazi.net/delorean
>>

>> --

8/14/2005

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:12:28 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I had 3 Big High End Amps in my Mustang plus power windows, A/C you
know the works. I sold it with 98,000 with a battery that was well over
5 years old and original alternator.

Oh yeah this was my daily driver.

Sounds like electrical problems to me.

Anybody else on this list have big Amplifiers with no battery trouble?

My Delorean i have now has a big ass High End Amplifier in it now and
no battery problems. This Amp has been in my car since i bought it in
2003.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:23:55 EDT
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Upcoming Delorean sweep?

I've been hearing rumors about a sweepstake for a Delorean.  Can  anyone give
me more info?

Dean Thomas

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:22:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Performance Exhaust for Delorean

Hi, does anyone know where I can buy a performance
exhaust free of catalyic converters for my Delorean
other than from the UK.  I know DMC Houston sells the
cat ones but I heard they have to install it too.

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:36:10 -0700
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: free DMCA owners guide

It's true! I have a DMCA Technical Owners Guide/Parts Manual (in the
big black binder) that I don't need or want anymore. I bought it at a
used bookstore four or five years ago, because it was as close to
buying a DMC as I knew I was going to get for a long time. Anyway, I
am moving across the country and am getting rid of all unnecessary
stuff, so I am offering the book, for free, to anyone who wants it -
I will even pay for shipping (within the US - USPS Media Mail). I
don't want to throw it away, for obvious reasons.

The book isn't in the greatest condition. It is missing some pages
(starts at page 15 and may be missing more pages inside), and the
pages are a bit yellowed. It also has some gunk on the cover - looks
like there were some stickers on it for a long time and some residue
was left over upon removal. The book was in this condition when I got
it, I swear! But it's free, so what do you care, right?

Anyway, the first person to respond to this email with their mailing
address gets it (you can respond off-list to keep your address
private - illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com). I will ship it out tomorrow or
Friday. If you want me to use better shipping, it will be at your
cost through PayPal.

Mary

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:01:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Was it a Delorean burning on TV today in So. Calif?

The crash involving the seven people drove a toyota mini-van, a Lincolon, and a fullsized van.  That was soo sad.........

The possible Delorean car fire was somewhere off the 210 freeway.

Richard

Jeff Friday <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:
Hmmmm,

I searched around the TV Stations website. The video may not be on there
HOWEVER, I did come across a video of a fatal car crash killing 7 people.
The BRIEF aerial clip showed a car by the side of the road for a fraction of
a second. The player was not interactive so you couldn't rewind or
anything. Hard to say what the car was. If it is infact a DeLorean you
have great eyes.

Can you be more specific about the story? Perhaps it will be on there
website tomorrow if it wasn't on there today.

On a side note watch the video about the man mauled by Chimpanzees returning
home. YIKES!!

Jeff in NC

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:20:33 -0700
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: DMCA manual is no longer available

Thanks to everyone who responded to my email about the manual. It is
no longer available, so no need to email me anymore.

Thanks!

Mary

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:10:14 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

It was a very sad story.  I was hoping that WASN'T the one with the possible
DeLorean involved because of how sad it was.  I'm glad that wasn't the one.

I'll check around with that new info.  Thanks.

Jeff in NC

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:20:13 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Automaniac

For those who missed the episode of "AUTOMANIAC" with Bill Goldberg about
"Muscle Cars"
and featured a great segment on DeLorean and the GTO.
There are some great interviews with John, this is a 7 minute segment so it
is pretty big.

You can go to http://www.dfwdmc.com and go to MEDIA, it's at the top of the
list.

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:24:34 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Performance Exhaust for Delorean

mike p wrote:

>>Hi, does anyone know where I can buy a performance
>>exhaust free of catalyic converters for my Delorean
>>other than from the UK.  I know DMC Houston sells the
>>cat ones but I heard they have to install it too.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Mike

I've been looking for a good free flow exhaust ever since I got my D
over a month ago and i've yet to find anyone in the US that makes them
other than DMCH.. and yes, from what i've found out, they do have to
install them.  Not sure why they won't sell them outright, guess they
just want the labor $$$.  What i'll most likly do when I get to the
point of worrying about the exhaust is run the formula's, and have one
of the local exhaust shops mandrel bend me some tubing and put my
welding skills to the test fabricating my own set of headers.. It'll
probably be a major pain in the butt, but for me it'll be alot better
than shipping my car to texas for who knows how long and paying more
than i'd really like too for an exhaust system that isn't really what I
want anyway.. (don't want cats) Plus building my own headers would let
me tune the primaries to the rpm range I wanted, and not one somebody
else desided on.

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:37:19 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Are these original seat covers or reproductions? Color

Derek wrote:

>>Not sure if the seats have been redone, but if you look closely you can
>>see that the binnacle is a redone unit (looks like John Herveys). Car
>>sure has some eyebrows for being in storage for all this time. Might
>>have been outside? Don't see what else could cause the eyebrows and a
>>cracked binnacle.
>>
>>Or mileage is not accurate...
>>
>>-Derek #10084

>>actual-miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31830QQitemZ4568958232QQrdZ1

>>actual-miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31830QQitemZ4568958232QQrdZ1)

Well, if it was stored in a non temperature controlled area, it could have still developed these problems even if it was indoors.. Both the eyebrows and the cracked dash/binnacle problem happen due to thermal stress. It could be why the car needed new leather as well. The actions of heat and time likly made the original leather hard and brittle.

These statements aren't really in relation to any delorean experience (i've only had mine a month) Just upholstry experience in general (Used to work in an upholstry shop years ago)

If the D was kept in an uninsulated building for 20+ years.. the thermal shrinkage could be as bad as if it had been outside.. You just wouldn't have any of the UV damage, etc, that comes with being outside as well.

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:42:46 -0000
From: "deepdmc" <deepdmc12_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Engine runs rough after pop & smoke from engine bay

OK here is what happened. Drove home from work and the car was running
fine. Went to drive the car about 40 minutes later. Turned the key on
for a few seconds to let the fuel pump do its thing, then went to
crank it. The engine started right up as usual, but then as soon as I
let off the starter I heard a pop come from the engine bay. I looked
in the rear view mirror just in time to see a pretty hefty puff of
smoke. It looked like it was coming from the drivers side of the
engine bay towards the back of the bay near the light switch &
resistor area. The car starts and seems to run fine. But now the idle
is really rough, it vibrates the whole car. My first assumption was
that the relay on the back wall had popped, I replaced it but it still
runs rough. Any one have any ideas? What should I check first?

Thanks,

Justin Alivandi

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:49:25 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

We sell the performance exhaust WITH catalytic converters only, but we
do NOT have to install it. We sell it via mail order or here in our
full-service center in suburban Houston.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 02:18:11 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Whoa WHAT are you talking about? There most certainly IS pressure in
your fuel system even with your battery disconnected and engine off.
Just because your car is off, DOES NOT mean there is no pressure.
It's called REST PRESSURE! It's what your accumulator is installed
for. If you park your car for days and want to see if there is
pressure-just depress the air sensor plate. If there is a slight
force pushing against you there is still pressure in the system (try
it just after you shut off your car to see what I'm talking about).
If there is no force and it moves freely up and down-still assume
there is a very SLIGHT pressure to be safe-but not much (will never
be like this right after you shut off your car-unless you have bad
accumulator or ck valve). Even with no pressure you'll still have
fuel spilling out of the lines. What I do is put a nice big rag and
wrap it around the cold start valve-once you have a wrench on the
connector on top of the csv put the rag around that as well-and
slowly open the connection while you're WEARING SAFETY GOGGLES even
if the connection is covered. This will depressurize the system, as
well you'll be able to collect most fuel without making a mess (once
you loosen the connector take off the line and let the line empty
into a container (a cap off of a spray paint can works great-just
stick it between the cold start valve on the hose going to the idle
motor or put it on between the air sensor and 'W' pipe over throttle
body-and put the end of the line into it). It's very easy to be
overcome by fumes working on fuel systems-so do it with a fan
running and in a well ventilated area. -----Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_g...>

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 02:48:12 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)

Okay finally an update; I just replaced each of these with brand new
equipment: Fuel distributor, CPR/WUR, +4 plugs, 8.5mm wires, Bosch
cap, Bosch rotor, and HP resistor. I've replaced with used
equipment: ignition distributor. I've tested/cleaned: mechanical and
vacuum advance, frequency valve and plug, grounds on both the left
and right side of intake, ground in compartment behind driver's
seat, cold start valve, and the injectors. The problem: my frequency
valve will NOT run continuously no matter what position the CO is
set to; it will not even run constant with the O2 sensor unplugged.
Like this, the car will start up after a nights rest, but warm-up is
rough with lots of black puffs of smoke and rough running until
warm; once warm it will be sluggish accelerating, but runs smooth
and gets me to where I need to go. The ONLY way to get the FV
running constant is through the full throttle switch-I jumped the
switch by putting a wire to both contacts of the full throttle
switch; this is how I've been running the car. With the FV running
constant, the car starts right up after sitting overnight with about
30 seconds of slight rough running-and has the acceleration it
should. Since the FV runs when the switch is tripped it's obvious
that it works and has good connections going to it. What I am
wondering is why it won't run constant otherwise…Any ideas? -----
Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:04:48 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Upcoming Delorean sweep?

I am raffling off a DeLorean (1983 Automatic Black interior/light grey) at
the DCS Chicago show.

_www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

We will have photos of it up in about a week
Raffle tickets will be avail in Sept once we get the prices set for  the show.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc.