Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2807
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:20 Aug 2005 14:48:31 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Need some strange parts Trail arm cover and small round cover below rocker
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Front Fiberglass Body Needed
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

3. Lifetime Water pump bolt questions
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Engine Timing
From: "rlingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

5. re: DeLorean radar detectors
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

6. Re: Engine Timing
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

7. RE: Lifetime Water pump bolt questions
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

8. Re: Performance Exhaust and a CAT
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

9. Re: DeLorean radar detectors
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

10. Re: Engine runs rough after pop & smoke from engine bay
From: "deepdmc" <deepdmc12_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>

11. Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

12. Re: Is it possible...replacing fuel line from accumulator to filter
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

13. DOA Magazine Special
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: Need some strange parts Trail arm cover and small round cover below rocker
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

15. BTTF DeLorean toy at Wendy's next week!
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

16. How to remove paint from vinyl without damaging it?
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

17. Black Beauty AC Issue
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. Re: best battery to put in
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: DeLorean radar detectors
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: DOA Magazine Special
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Re: DeLorean radar detectors
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Fuel Gauge
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. RE: DeLorean radar detectors
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

24. Re: Engine runs rough after pop & smoke from engine bay
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Re: Need some strange parts Trail arm cover and small round cover below rocker
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:13:49 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Need some strange parts Trail arm cover and small round cover below rocker

I am missing 2 parts that are hard to lose:
1. The Dr side trailing arm cover
2. The round plastic cover (2in Dia) that is below the rocker. Located on
the fiberglass 3/4 of the way back.
Charles- 16835

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:25:46 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: Front Fiberglass Body Needed

I recieved a call today from a friend of mine who is looking for a front driver's side or entire short front portion of the fiberglass body.  He removed the front fascia to paint it and discovered that the previous owner got into a minor accident and did a "mickey mouse" job repairing it.  It is such a crappy job that he just assume replace the damaged section.  He is looking for either  Part #109995 - BODY,SHORT FRONT LH or Part #109993 - BODY,SHORT FRONT.  If someone has a smashed or parts car (preferably one that is totally far gone and unrestorable as I do not want someone to cut up a good, restorable body) please let me know where you are and how much you want for it.  Also, if you have any pics, please send them along as well.

To save e-mail space, please e-mail off-line _at_dml_ wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com

Thanks,

Jason

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:27:43 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Lifetime Water pump bolt questions

I am down in the valley of the shadow of death for me because I broke no
bolts getting everything off. Some of my bolts were "thin" in the middle do
to rust! I have new bolts, but want to try to solve this issue.
-Can't use stainless
-Could slop on copper anti-seze
-Could coat each bolt with clear silicon as I put them in

NEXT- I was told to use Silicon grease on the rubber seal on the intake,
only place I have found this on the net is grease watches? Any retailer have
this?

LAST- How do I KNOW that when I have it all back togeter that I would not be
weeping water, and then sobbing in tears.
-Is there a way to put pressure on the system and will that work?

Charles- 16835

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:28:35 -0500
From: "rlingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Engine Timing

I reached the phase of refitting my timing chains. However, I once heard the
instructions in the Shop Manual (Yes, I finally have one) were not written
correctly. Can anyone elaborate on this. I've gotten so far now. I'd hate to
blow up the engine when I try starting it next week.

Lingo #2034

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:27:08 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: re: DeLorean radar detectors

If you are interested in a remote detector, which I am a huge fan of, my personal favorite brands are Whistler and Uniden for ease of installation and use. Escort and K40 remotes are much more difficult and time-consuming to install, or at least the ones I dealt with were. The K40 (current top of their line model) I installed about a month ago turned out to be missing a part and the purchaser had lots of trouble with K40s customer service department getting them to ship him a replacement part...that make me think twice about giving K40 my own money.
On my daily driver I run an Escort 8500 X50 and the range is absolutely incredible, but being someone who works in law enforcement in an area where everyone knows one another, when the time comes for my next D, you can bet it will have a remote detector...no use drawing even more attention (w/a visible radar detector) to a vehicle that already draws enough!

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:27:36 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine Timing

They are correct but for one thing. Left and Right are transposed. But
you'll soon work that out when you start to follow the instructions -
it's not possible to put them on the wrong way around.

One hint that isn't in the manual: When you've put them on and you want
to check you've done it correctly, turn the engine manually until the
SINGLE mark on each chain reaches each cam sprocket. If you've done it
right, you'll find the mark on the chain now lines up with the mark on
the cam sprocket. Quite neat, and I'm sure it was intentional, but none
of the manuals went that far. Note: This only works for the first turn
of the engine immediately after putting the chains on.

Martin

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:39:54 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Lifetime Water pump bolt questions

I'm about to do the same job, all of the cooling system save the
radiator will be new (I know I should - all in due time).

It makes me wonder if the new pink antifreezes (Dexcool?) or the
environmentally friendly (Sierra) green stuff is less corrosive/more
friendly in any way, yet compatible.  Surely someone here knows all the
ins and outs of this stuff -   anyone?

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:40:10 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Performance Exhaust and a CAT

Roy,

See my many previous posts on the cat subject.  Illegal or not, removing
the catalytic converter provides minimal performance gains while
increasing emissions.  We don't think too much about it, since the
pollution is "invisible", but it's no different from flushing your used
oil down the toilet, or leaving old batteries by the side of the road.

My DeLorean has a performance-exhaust, two cats, and 200HP.  It is not
necessary to sacrifice the environment for additional power.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

>> Matt.. It comes as a double.  I noticed a reply regarding it being

illegal

>> to remove a cat..I do not know if that applies to NY.  I know I
>> asked to keep
>> the Cat so if anyone asks where it is I can pull it from the trunk  and

show

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:57:52 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Mike,

I installed the Passport SRX, and I love it.  The interior display is
tiny, and fits between the right-side kneepad and the dash.  The radar
horn mounts easily behind the front grille, and the rear laser detector
mounts almost invisibly above the rear license plate.  The front laser
detectors are a bit trickier; I mounted them to the bottom of the front
bumper where they can hardly be seen, but are less effective.

It's pricey, but can be had on eBay for well below retail; only
"authorized" installers are supposed to sell/install them, but it's simple
enough to do yourself.  Zero tickets since I put it in.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

NOTE: THIS DOCUMENT MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN USEFUL AND/OR FACTUAL
INFORMATION.  IT IS INTENDED FOR THE AMUSEMENT AND/OR EDIFICATION OF THE
DELOREAN COMMUNITY AT LARGE.  If you are not in the DeLorean community,
you should go out and purchase a DMC-12 right away, since the reading,
review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message to
non-DeLorean owners is strictly prohibited.  If you have purchased a
DMC-12 in error, please notify me immediately by return email so that I
may find your car a good home, and then delete this message and destroy
any printed copies, and go buy yourself a nice Honda.  Thank you for your
cooperation.

>> Hello:
>>
>> I'm running with a concealed Valentine One in my BMW. Does anyone have

any

>> recommendations for a DeLorean radar system?
>> I saw a DMC in Myrtle Beach, Don Smith's car from the DeLorean One
>> commercial, had the front and rear remote radar system. I forgot the
>> name and  model
>> number.  If you have any experience with Radar detectors' I would

sincerely

>> like to read your thoughts and opinions.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Mike Pack
>>
>> NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC

INFORMATION.  IT

>> IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
>> ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are

not the

>> intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
>> dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is
>> prohibited.  If you have
>>  received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by

return

>>  email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.

Thank

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:14:15 -0000
From: "deepdmc" <deepdmc12_at_dml_cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Engine runs rough after pop & smoke from engine bay

Thank you soooo much. The problem has been fixed. Apparently what
happened was the engine backfired and the pressure pushed one of the
fuel injectors out of the boot. I pushed the injector back in and
secured the retaining clip and the rough idle completly went away.
On a side note what would have caused the backfire in the first
place? This is the first time it has ever backfired, I recently
leaned the fuel adjustment because the engine started to surge at
idle, but i only leaned it a very tiny amount. Once again thank you
so much.

Justin Alivandi 16579

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>
wrote:

>> If you had a backfire in the intake, pressure from the explosion
>> could have dislodged several items including the idle motor tube,
>> several vacuum lines, intake seals, etc. or even a fuel injector.
>>
>> I would suspect vacuum lines first.
>>
>> Harold McElraft - 3354

>> running

key

>> on

>> as I

>> looked

of

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:38:17 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Can someone explain this? (distributor positioning)

Thank you all for your help and advice! Trouble? Yes, my car is very
reliable for throwing me another problem or quirk now and then. But
nah, it's still a great car; and I figure with all the parts I have
replaced with new ones my car's gotta be done soon right?-It's almost
brand new now! I removed the plate with the bulkhead connections
again. The splice is a 1.0uf capacitor running from green wire of the
larger white connector [#45 on David Delman's bulkhead  connection
diagram] to black wire in blue connector [#23]. #23 says it's a ground
for the diagnostic plug, but I don't have the ground hooked up so 23
might not have any current at all unless it runs to a ground inside
the car somehwere. Remove this capacitor? I have yet to look for more
cut wires and do the voltage testing etc. My only problem is I don't
have a diagnostic plug on my engine.....guess I should start looking
for it. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:19:31 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Is it possible...replacing fuel line from accumulator to filter

Patrick and Dave - My car had a crack develop in one of the flared
ends on the pressure line that goes from the accumulator to the
filter many years ago.  When I read that the first step towards
repair was to lift the body from the frame, I decided to pursue "Plan
B".  I cut the ends off of the line (to get the exact match for
them), and had a local hose and fittings supplier make a new high-
pressure flexible line with swaged-on end fittings.  The new line is
rated at 300 psi working pressure, which gives a good margin of
safety for the normal system pressure in the DeLorean, and the
materials are rated for gasoline.  I routed the line down the frame
tunnel, and secured it in several places with zip ties.  The original
installation of the flexible line was done in 1991.  Last year I had
a replacement made just to be sure that age wouldn't get to the
hose.  As you noted, Dave, this wasn't a "cobbled together" hose and
clamps, but a properly made high-pressure hose from the right
materials.  You are absolutely correct in your position that "you
cannot be too careful" about pressurized fuel systems.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

>> Whatever you do you must be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the lines and the
>> fittings can handle the pressure. The body CAN be lifted. You have

>> remove all the body bolts. It is now time to call your favorite
>> Delorean vendor and order the lines and they can give you the

detailed

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:21:40 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: DOA Magazine Special

Have any of you that put up their $200 for all of the magazines,
received any membership materials yet?  I haven't and its been 2 months
now.

Bernie

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:19:12 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

I guess you mean the air deflector.  Part number 106733, $63.35.
And the seat belt anchor cap. Part number 106915, $2.57.
Confirm with pics below.
Warren at DMC

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1707&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=1785&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:41:47 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: BTTF DeLorean toy at Wendy's next week!

Every once in a while, something completely slides under our radar here
at BTTF.com.

We just learned from a reader in Indiana who was able to pick up an
early premium Kids Meal toy last night at his local Wendy's, which
happens to be a new pull-back BTTF DeLorean time machine.  These are
slated to be in stores beginning Monday as part of their "Universal
Family Favorites" 5-week promotion.  Hardly the most accurate DeLorean
toy out there, but as a freebie in a Kids Meal, it's nice to see a
national product come out of the blue like this. And at the very least,
the packaging looks cool...

http://www.bttf.com/Wendys/wendys_01.jpg
http://www.bttf.com/Wendys/wendys_02.jpg
http://www.bttf.com/Wendys/wendys_03.jpg
http://www.bttf.com/Wendys/wendys_04.jpg

-- Stephen _at_dml_ BTTF.com

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:58:42 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: How to remove paint from vinyl without damaging it?

After spending the last 5 wonderful and fun (and stressful) weeks of
delorean ownership working out all the mechanical bugs on my car, I am
now moving on to the cosmetic side of things. I have carpet shampooing
on my list, as well as louver painting, and have already vaccumed car,
conditioned leather, and vinyl. Need to order a blending pad and
stainless cleaner also to wrap it all up.

However, when I purchased the car, I noticed a line of what looks to be
blue paint running down the side of the center console next to the
shifter on the passenger side. I can only assume this to be nail
polish, as it is that light blue '80s color. Does anyone have a
suggestion as to what I can use to remove the stain/paint from the
vinyl without damaging it (either stripping the vinyl color, eating
away at the vinyl, etc). I have already tried armorall and another
vinyl cleaner and scrubbed with a soft cloth. Didn't want to try goo
gone, or paint thinner, or anything else harsher without checking
first. Thanks!

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:08:32 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Black Beauty AC Issue

All,

I now have working AC in black beauty, Freeze-12, vendors don't get
upset, I just wanted to try a $50 fix verses a $300 refill.  And it
works!  Now let's see how long the charge lasts.  If it leaks out,
vendors will be hearing from me for parts.  If it holds, guess what, a
cheaper alternative for everyone for charging the AC system.  Totally
compatible with your R12 system, no need to change oils, what a relief
that is.

It is available from John H. at http://specialtauto.com

Bernie

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:19:43 -0000
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: best battery to put in

The Odyessy brand batteries are very good. They are used by the US
Military. They aren't very expensive and have a proven track record.
They used to be the Hawker battery brand. They are widely used in
competition car audio and racing circuits.

In the case of the DeLorean, a upgraded alternator to provide higher
charge currents for the battery which would sustain more current
drain if you're going to run high powered audio amplifiers
(500wrms+) and upgrading the alternator-to-battery charging lead to
4-gauge will help increase current flow, along with upgrading the
battery power and ground wires to at least 4-gauge.

A lot of people use the Optima batteries, and while they work well
for most I've had several customers who had they cars stored, even
on tenders and the Optimas lost their current capacity.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> When running a high power amp in any car, make sure you put in a
>> high capacity capacitor in to handle those power drain problems.
>> Cructhfield sells them.  That will prevent your headlights from
>> dimming, etc.
>>
>> Bernie

>> DeLorean's

wrong

>> except

>> connectors being over

>> Fanzilla

suggestion.

>> And yes, Pat at PJ

>> cleanliness as

once

>> if not twice

>> take long

>> They always gave

>> gets

>> wise.

>> amps on the

it

>> has been that

>> follows; my

unit

>> and

of

>> the whole system

>> Eclipse head unit

>> drew too much

>> work.   Also when

beams,

>> the amp

>> decided to take the

have

>> the amp and

and

>> that the amp

>> the JL amp

has

>> a higher power

amps

>> is a great

>> last left

>> some two

>> creeping in NYC's rush

the

>> battery and

>> extreme hot

can

>> or will cause

>> believe

>> DeLorean’s

it

>> especially on long

>> DeLorean's

Maybe

>> you may have a

A/C

>> you

>> well over

>> trouble?

>> now and

bought

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:22:39 -0000
From: "Dan" <copper_trace_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I used to sell both Bell and Whistler radar detectors and when it
comes down to it, there is very little difference. The primary thing
to look for is one that covers the radar/laser bands used in your
area.

Other then appearance, buttons, talking, not talking, and different
sounding alerts, they're pretty much the same.

You don't need a rediculously expensive detector.

Not for nothing, but people around these parts need to slow down. I
get lil women in Excursions up my butt doing 90+mph in the SLOW lane.

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:59:22 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DOA Magazine Special

I received my magazines a couple of weeks ago and still no membership
information.
I believe I jumped on this on June 3 or so.

Roy #0893

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean radar detectors

Now this is just my opinion, but with today's technology, most Radars capture the target speed of the suspect vehicle before today's radar detectors register the radar signal.  The best thing to say is just please slow down.

Richard
VIN: 2800

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:12:05 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge

I think I'm going to need to replace this part as well. Does this part come with installation
instructions? (I'm not very mechanically inclined, but with some basic guidance should be
able to do this.)

- Geoff

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_u...> wrote:

>> The factory fuel level sender is well-known to be fragile.  We make and
>> sell a direct replacement, drop in and plug in.  Part number
>> 110555-$99.00.  Here's a pic.
>> http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2400&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
>> Warren at DMC

dmcnews

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:32:25 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I had a bell hidden in my grill and got pulled over for it in Virginia.
It cost me money and 3 points on my license.  So be careful in Virginia,
they are against the law and they use a detector for radar detectors.

Jack.

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:37:35 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

A lean fuel condition can cause a backfire. That injector may have
already been loose and causing the system to hunt for the right
air/fuel mixture. Your adjustment may have just run the frequency
valve to the limit so the engine RPM swings stopped but the fuel
mixture went even more lean. The best way to see what is happening
with the O2 sensor and the frequency valve is to perform the analog
dwell meter test described in the Technical Information Manual on page
122-123 - and just assume the CO falls in the proper range. Be sure
all vacuum lines are on and sealing well.

To be sure the fuel system is clean you can run some Marvel Mystery
Oil in the fuel - just follow the instructions on the container. It's
the best cleaner for the DeLorean fuel system - good for the engine
too.

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:01:21 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

Not so strange parts to be missing.
I lost a seat belt cap last year, and replaced it.
I am still missing the deflectors, going on 5 years... what exactly do they
deflect?

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------