Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2812
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:22 Aug 2005 21:31:30 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Living The Dream...
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. Re: Front Speakers
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Was it all a dream? The first 500 series car built
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

4. Pre-Production Delorean
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Vin 3323 Restoration Update
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Re: Full Size Power Windows
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

7. More on waterpump bolts and coolant
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. DCS Re: crystal De Lorean
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Front Speakers
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

10. Re: Re: Is it possible...replacing fuel line from accumulator to filter
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Was it all a dream? Looking for DML archives from 1997
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

12. RE: Re: Was it all a dream? Looking for DML archives from 1997
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

13. Re: Front Speakers
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Rim Repair
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Living The Dream...
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: radar detector
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. RE: Re: Rim Repair
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: Re: Rim Repair
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Pulling to the left and to the right ....steering rack issue?
From: "gklee01" <gklee01_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Re: Was it all a dream? Looking for DML archives from 1997
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

21. Aug 26 showing BTTF NUART, LA
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>

22. Re: Pulling to the left and to the right ....steering rack issue?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

23. RE: Re: Was it all a dream? Looking for DML archives from 1997
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 05:55:53 -0000
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Living The Dream...

Hi Joey,
I'm picking up (hopefully) my Delorean tomorrow.  I live in Calvert
County Maryland and my inlaws live in Baltimore (which basically means
I try to avoid Baltimore at all costs!)  I won mine on ebay about 2
weeks ago and it currently lives in Yonkers, NY.  The owner is a
mechanic and is having the rack and pinion steering and alternator
replaced with PJ Grady's.  Feel free to reach out to me if you need
anything and pass along any other owners you know of in our area.

Nate #6859(hopefully....if it is as described)

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 05:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Front Speakers

You need it to be flat.

I found some 2-way speakers that had a spacer ring to
make it lie flat.  It was a few years ago, so the
models have changed I am sure.

--- Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> As I've began to decide which brand of speakers I
>> want, something hit me.  Most newer speakers today
>> have a center cone that - especially on the 3.5"
>> speakers - sticks out considerably.  Is this a
>> problem
>> when installing new front speakers in the DeLorean?
>> know alot of people have upgraded their sound
>> systems,
>> and I know that the front Craig's are flat - so I
>> want
>> to know if this center cone will affect my selection
>> in terms of what speakers I can buy.  Also while on
>> the subject, of those of you who have upgraded, what
>> speakers did you use for your upgrade, and what are
>> the pros and cons of what you used?  Thank you
>> everyone for your time.
>>
>> Jeremiah

>> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
>> protection around
>> http://mail.yahoo.com
>>

>> To address comments privately to the moderating
>> team, please address:
>> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>>
>> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for
>> sale see www.dmcnews.com

>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>

>>     dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:59:40 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Was it all a dream? The first 500 series car built

Some recent research by several individuals, including myself,
has brought into question the actual build chronology of the
early 500 series cars and it appears that VIN...500 may not be
the first 500 series car off the production line.

Stainless Steel Illusion claims that VIN...500 rolled off the
assembly line on January 21, 1981, yet a few other 500 series
cars were already in the US prior to that date and were on the
Auto Show circuit (including the 1981 Detriot Auto show) as
much as two weeks before this date.  Several former DeLorean
Motor Company employees have helped to confirm these details.

Many of these early 500 series cars were considered engineering
cars by DeLorean Motor Company employees, so it is difficult to
classify which cars were the first production cars intended to
be sold to the public.  There are more questions than answers.

Stayed tuned for more info on this topic and if you are very
interested in this topic, more details will be available at
the 25th anniversary celebration of the Delorean marque and
the DCS 2006 event next year.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_l...>
wrote:

>> I believe the first production DeLorean is the VIN 500 car

(currently

>> featured in a prominent and awesome display at the Crawford auto

museum

>> here in Cleveland).
>>
>> I assume that I could go to my local BMV and get license plates
>> for VIN 500 because its existence is recorded somewhere.
>> I know some cars were made on the assembly line prior to VIN 500 to

help

>> train workers, provide crash test vehicles and quality test

vehicles,

>> etc.  Do these cars have a different sort of record?  Perhaps cars

made

>> by the production process before the official start of production

are

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:23:39 -0000
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Pre-Production Delorean

Hello,
Does anyone know where this car is at now?  The pictures of this car
at auction were obviously taken with a poor camera.  It would be nice
to see what this car looks like now and really see what a "pre-
production" car looks like.  Also, they noted that it possibly had a
stainless steel frame...is this true?  Does anyone know how many of
these cars were made and if they were given some type of VIN number or
Pilot number...or Pre-production number?

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/Prototype/prototype.html

Thanks,
Erik

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:14:17 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Vin 3323 Restoration Update

Hey Everyone,

If anyone is curious, I updated the pics under the name Vin 3323
Restoration.  I finally got some good shots of the frame now that it
is assembled with the engine and all the powdercoating I've done.

I'm finally at the place where I can put the frame back under the
body and begin assembling and getting ready to fire the engine up.
I'll be touching up the engine bay and other areas using the
bedliner spray technique and will post pictures once I'm done so
everyone can see how it turns out (cross fingers).

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy the pictures as it sure was hard to
get a good pic with a 1 MP crappy free digital camera lol.  I would
buy a good one, but then I couldn't afford some other great addition
to my D  :)

Thanks,

Brandon

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:47:53 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Full Size Power Windows

Finally found a machinist who will make the aluminum channels for the
full size power windows at a reasonable cost.

We will be installing these in my (formeraly stock) delorean this
winter taking pictures are the project progresses.

Those of you who are interested in installing a set of these in your
car, please contact me.   The more of the tracks we order the cheaper
they will be.

BOB Brandys

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:13:57 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: More on waterpump bolts and coolant

I had some folks contact me off list (Thanks to all willing to share). They
said not to use anti-seze while others did, I dont want flame wars but we
are all going to be in the Valley someday and this debate will help us all.
The other ideas were to use silicion (inert, Right) or how about blue
loctite (will it form a seal?).
Another flame war question: Why is it we do OR dont use the coolant now out
that is for aluminium engines.

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:21:38 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Re: crystal De Lorean

Does anyone have one of these crystal deloreans

I would like to have one in Chicago 2006

thanks

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:21:46 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I will probably get a lot of negative reaction to this post, but I
bought $10 speakers at Walmart that were flush and fit in
perfectly.  I don't recall the brand or the wattage, but as Dave
point out, anything is an improvement.  My originals were rotted to
the point that the paper was crumbling out like dust.  The new
speakers sound fine for me.  For the rears I found one set of
Pioneer speakers at Best Buy that fit (4 x 10) for $89.

>> You can't use speakers with inner cones that project above the

frame.

>> Call Crutchfield and they can help you select the correct speaker.
>> What I used is no longer available, anyway they come out with new

and

>> better models all the time. Don't overspend on the front speakers,

it

>> won't improve the sound all that much. If you really have to spend
>> save it for the rear speakers and an amplifier. You can only get so
>> much out of a 3 1/2" speaker! Anything you replace the origional
>> speakers with will be a big improvement. The origionals I pulled

out

>> were stiff and the cones were in tatters. It was amazing they put

out

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:32:31 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Is it possible...replacing fuel line from accumulator to filter

In a message dated 8/19/2005 12:09:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com writes:

I was  just wondering if its possible
to get the steel tube line in without  lifting the body, but after
trying again my guess is  no.

Just like you said it will never come out

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:19:11 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Was it all a dream? Looking for DML archives from 1997

Tony...

Do you know if the suspension in any of the pre-production cars were
different than what shipped in the production cars?

Thanks!
Dave Jacobs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCPROTO1_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> The preproduction car did have sliding windows, also a 2 spoke

steering wheel

>> with different seats but has a production body. "Proto" as in the

2200 pound

>> 4 cylinder mid engine car, went from the DMC auction in 1984 to Bill

Yacobozzi

>> then to Tony Ierardi in 2005. That preproduction car also had a

different

>> rear fascia that went down to surround the exhaust pipes and solid

wheels without

>> vent slits between the fins, but looks just like a production wheel.

It is

>> sad to know that that car was not taken care of, but If it is found

it should be

>> treated like Proto or the Turbo cars and be restored and cherished

as an

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:36:52 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

The Crawford Museum in Cleveland credits Jeff Abrams with donating the
VIN 500 car, along with a cache of DMC company property that he believed
to be of historic significance.  That material is available in the
Crawford's library for automotive historians and scholars to study.

I've described what I know in a little more detail in the past; you can
find it in the DML archives.  While the Crawford does have these items
catalogued, I don't believe any DeLorean expert has ever combed through
it to search for answers to historical questions like the one asked by
this thread.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:55:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You do not want to use spacer rings or washers. The studs are not long
enough. It is not that hard to find a good, inexpensive 3 1/2'
speaker. It is so small that you really do not need a tweeter cone in
it, the whole speaker is the tweeter! The more important spec is the
Ohm rating. It must match the output rating of the amplifier you are
using. You would not want a 4 ohm speaker on an 8 ohm output! In
automotive applications generally the highs are produced in the front
(very directional and short propagation field) and the lows (basses)
are produced in the rear (omni-directional and large propagation
field). The lows are what takes most of the power so that is where you
spend the bucks on the speakers and the amplifacation. The tweeters
are mainly for clarity, spatial recognition, and vocals. Not only does
your wallet have a large effect on your choices, the type of music you
listen to should also be considered. The Delorean is a noisy car so
you have to also consider that too. How often you will be using the
car and the radio matters also.

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:27:13 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Rim Repair

Thanks to all who responded.  I will contact some wheel repair shops in the near
future.  But before that, I have to replace the brake master cylinder, and get a whole
new exaust system.  Priorities.  Sigh...  Oh well, that's what the winter is for anyway,
right?
Corey

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:32:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Joey.  Congrats on the D!  Sounds like a fun
acquisition.  Actaully, I grew up near Catonsville and
now live out off of route 70 in Woodbine.  Do you plan
on making the D a weekend, family car or also taking
it to weekend cruises/car shows, etc.?

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" from a fellow owner in
the area.

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:39:14 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: radar detector

What about laser and radar jammers?
I have been hearing a commercial about a jammer that is supposed to make you
"invisible"?
Do these really work?
-vb

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Rim Repair

I am betting you could buy a replacement rim cheaper than repairing it.
Check with DMCH.
- VB

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:46:12 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

DMCH sells refurbished wheels fr $125 each:
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=78&PageCat=6%2DBrakes+and+Wheels
That is your best bet.
Or, for about $1000 pls trade in get the chrome versions from Don Stegar!
- VB

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:08:54 -0000
From: "gklee01" <gklee01_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Pulling to the left and to the right ....steering rack issue?

My car is always pulling to one side. As it's pulling to the left, I
begin to "adjust" the wheel to the right.  I slowly turn to the right
(just to the extent to keep me in the lane) and nothing happens. I
continue to move the steering wheel until it finally "catches" and
stops pulling to the left, but now it is pulling to the right and I go
through this same "pinballing" process all the way down the road.

Can someone tell me a likely cause? Do I need a new steering rack?

Steering at higher speeds is not very good but as this is the only
Delorean I've driven, I  wasn't sure if this was what to expect...

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:05:36 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

Thank you Mike for the information. Looks like a road trip to Crawford  is in
order, as a good bye summer trip.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

In a message dated 08/22/2005 4:03:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu writes:

The  Crawford Museum in Cleveland credits Jeff Abrams with donating the
VIN 500  car, along with a cache of DMC company property that he believed
to be of  historic significance.  That material is available in the
Crawford's  library for automotive historians and scholars to study.

I've described  what I know in a little more detail in the past; you can
find it in the DML  archives.  While the Crawford does have these items
catalogued, I  don't believe any DeLorean expert has ever combed through
it to search for  answers to historical questions like the one asked by
this thread.

-  Mike Substelny

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:20:30 -0700
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Aug 26 showing BTTF NUART, LA

As many of you are aware, there will be a showing of BTTF on Friday night, August 26 at midnight at the NUART theatre in West Los Angeles.  Actually the theatre is on Santa Monica Blvd. 1 block west of the 405 Freeway.  The theatre has no parking lot, as it is on the south side of the street, it has no space in front for parking (too near freeway on ramp), and in general does not seem to be the place for a demonstration of Deloreans.  However, one or two blocks west from the theatre and on the opposite side of the street is a Dolores Restaurant, which I can verify has been there since before the movie was made.  Anyone who would like to get together in the evening of the '26, please raise your hand.  I won't boast that the food at the restaurant is great, but it is palatable, and  there should be something on the menu for almost anyone.

If you don't mind, it makes no sense to burden the list with responses to the list.  My email address is in my signature.  I would like to get responses just to get an idea from the standpoint of determine if this concept is meaningful.  I suggest not burdening the list, as I'm sure that those members in east of the Rockies could care less.

I'm informed that my address isn't being passed on so here is a modified form:

twodelo2atearthlink.net (substitute _at_dml_ for at) and my address will be good.

Thanks,
Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4649/#16049

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:21:05 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

DeLorean steering should be as good as any car on the road.

This is another case where you need to stop driving the car until
you figure out what is wrong.  There are several things that may
be the issue - steering rack, rack ends, ball joints, bushings,
steering column u-joints, alignment, tires, wheel bearings, frame
rust, lower control arms, and even the trailing arm bolts.  Any
good alignment shop should be able to sort this out.

-------------- Original message from "gklee01" <gklee01_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:42:37 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

As a follow-up, I recommend that anyone wishing to conduct DeLorean
research at the Crawford contact the library to make an appointment.
They do not have this material organized in a permanent display of
DeLorean history.  Much of the material is in storage, and it could take
some time to retrieve it for you.  Some of it will be useless without
special equipment (movie projectors, etc.)

I would hate to be the cause of any DMLer wasting many hours or days
waiting to access this material.

I know the collection includes a number of one-of-a-kind items: the
factory model, trade show banner, etc.  I do not know whether or not
these items hold any undiscovered secrets of DeLorean history.

- Mike Substelny