Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2813
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:23 Aug 2005 16:23:57 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Was it all a dream? Looking for DML archives from 1997
From: "whydoismellsodarnbad" <whydoismellsodarnbad_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: Pulling to the left and to the right ....steering rack issue?
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

3. Re: Pre-Production Delorean
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: crystal De Lorean
From: "gullwingdoors" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. River City Autofest
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

6. Anyone Still Not Recieved There DW Mags??
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

7. Re: Pulling to the left and to the right ....steering rack issue?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Living The Dream...
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. Hot Start Issue and BTTF movie
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Air conditioner fans not cycling...
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. The first 500 to 560 series cars built Preproduction
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

12. One more question (A/C fans cycle)
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/doors up fun
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

15. Re: River City Autofest
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. Richard Roasles
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

19. Re: Hot Start Issue and BTTF movie
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

20. Re: One more question (A/C fans cycle)
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

21. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

22. DMCH reproduction headlight switch
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Hot Start Issue and BTTF movie
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:46:44 -0000
From: "whydoismellsodarnbad" <whydoismellsodarnbad_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Was it all a dream? Looking for DML archives from 1997

The resulting research might be printed up if it turns out to be
particularly interesting.  Sounds like another cool item for limited
release to the fans... for those of us that just can't get enough of
specifics.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_l...>
wrote:

>> As a follow-up, I recommend that anyone wishing to conduct DeLorean
>> research at the Crawford contact the library to make an

appointment.

>> They do not have this material organized in a permanent display of
>> DeLorean history.  Much of the material is in storage, and it

could take

>> some time to retrieve it for you.  Some of it will be useless

without

>> special equipment (movie projectors, etc.)
>>
>> I would hate to be the cause of any DMLer wasting many hours or

days

>> waiting to access this material.
>>
>> I know the collection includes a number of one-of-a-kind items: the
>> factory model, trade show banner, etc.  I do not know whether or

not

>> these items hold any undiscovered secrets of DeLorean history.
>>
>> - Mike Substelny

Behalf

>> Of Packodenton_at_dml_a...
>> Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 4:06 PM
>> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Was it all a dream?  Looking for DML

archives

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:57:32 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Pulling to the left and to the right ....steering rack issue?

Right about the time my Delorean was rolling off the line I was driving
a Chevy in Virginia which started with these same symptoms.  I thought
it could wait a while but once it started it got bad very quickly.  I
actually drove the car down a country road for repairs with more than
two full revolutions of play in the wheel between nudging the car right
or left.  Don't wait - get it to a good shop now.

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:55:03 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pre-Production Delorean

I wonder ...

When I was shopping for my Delorean earlier this year, I found a listing in Southern
California (near San DIego). When I spoke with the owner, she stated that the car didn't
have air conditioning. I asked if the AC was broken, and she repeated that the car didn't
have AC when it was new.

I know that all production Deloreans had AC as standard equipment, and the pre-
production car pictured in the link below did not have AC. So perhaps the car I was
investigating was a pre-production example.

- Geoff

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:02:19 -0000
From: "gullwingdoors" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: crystal De Lorean

Thank you to all who responded to my question, I've got some new
places to look now.

Chuck

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gullwingdoors" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Hi everyone,
>> You know those glass crystal things that have a 3d lazer-etched

design

>> in them?  When I first saw one, my immediate thought was "Man, one

of

>> those with a De Lorean in it would look sweet!."  Well, I was

looking

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:14:42 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: River City Autofest

Group,

Here is the info on the 2005 River City Autofest... we normally have
around ten DeLoreans show up so dont miss this one.

Date:  September 23 & 24
Location:  Downtown Evansville Indiana

We have made arrangements for rooms to be blocked-out for the
DeLorean group:

Hampton Inn
8000 Eagle Crest Blvd
Evansville, IN
1-812-473-5000

Ask for the DeLorean group rate of $69.00 per night.

We have also asked for a special parking area for the DeLorean group
at the show venue.

Please e-mail me for the Car Show Registration Form in case you did
not receive one or simply lost yours.

We usually have a small group caravaning out of the St. Louis area on
Friday and we come back Sunday.  Others come in Friday evening after
work.  This is just a nice show to attend and get together with some
D friends before winter gets here.  Good times, good eats, good
drinks.

Ron
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:53:28 +0100
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Anyone Still Not Recieved There DW Mags??

Hi all

I joined the DOA on Thursday, June 09 and have still not recieved my magazines.....

Anyone form Europe that joined before or after this recieved theirs???

Alistair McCann
Belfast. N.I.

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:49:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The most likely cause is play in the steering. This is usually caused
by worn parts. In fact it may not be 1 worn part but the cumulative
affect of many. First of all check the tire pressures. This can have a
huge affect. Next get the car up on jackstands and while an assistant
rocks the steering wheel back and forth look for "lost motion" between
the parts. If you can't do this then get to a garage that does front
end work. There is nothing mysterious here, it is a simple front
suspension. Before condeming the rack you have to check all the other
parts but yes, a worn rack can cause this. Driving like this is
extremly dangerous. You can't stay in your lane and in an emergency
situation you could lose control. A Delorean in good shape has a very
stable and solid steering feel, what you are experiencing is way off
from normal.

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:04:58 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Living The Dream...

Nate,

Welcome to the Maryland Club, not that there is such a thing, just a
bunch of us loving the car.

Hopefully you will not have any problems bringing the car home, but
if you come up to the Baltimore area, you don't have to go to your
inlaws, you can visit one of the owners in the area!  I tend to get
down to Calvert county only once in a great while.

I am here to help with what I can, I am no expert by any stretch of
the imagination, but I can help where I can.  There are other
experts around that know much more than I do.  I'm sure they will be
in contact with you.

Let me know if you need some help on something.  And I will do what
I can to help.

Bernie
VIN 4045 and 6704

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Hi Joey,
>> I'm picking up (hopefully) my Delorean tomorrow.  I live in

Calvert

>> County Maryland and my inlaws live in Baltimore (which basically

means

2

>> weeks ago and it currently lives in Yonkers, NY.  The owner is a
>> mechanic and is having the rack and pinion steering and alternator
>> replaced with PJ Grady's.  Feel free to reach out to me if you

need

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:28:48 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hot Start Issue and BTTF movie

Group,

This is going to get some people worked up, but I am going to mention
this anyway.  After suffering a sudden hot start issue yesterday, the
connection between the BTTF movie and the hot start issue suddenly
made sense.

We all know in the stock configuration, hot start issue is very
common.  In the BTTF movie, the Delorean also doesn't want to start
after being driven or right after time travel.  Maybe the movie
producer simply incorporated the real problem the crew faced into the
movie.  The producer was just venting his frustration with the car by
incorporating the hot start issue into the movie.

BTW. I still love my D. and the hot start solution is well documented.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:39:26 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Air conditioner fans not cycling...

Hi guys,
I have a quick question.  My fans don't cycle when I have the AC on.  My car
has a fanzilla module installed.  A/C seems to blow pretty cold and cooling
fans work fine when the A/C is off.  Does this sound like a low pressure
switch gone bad?  I searched the backlogs for answers but wanted to make
sure its nothing that fanzilla is doing.  Any help is appreciated.
-Alex

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:48:43 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: The first 500 to 560 series cars built Preproduction

Hello,
I know the last time I wrote on this site about this some people got
all bent out of
shape & I got some emails from unnamed & unsigned emails.any way.
I've talk with 3 previous employees & 2 people from troy whom worked
on the wood
moc up & they all say the same thing from Vin 500 to vin 560 were
factory built by
the engineers to make sure how things would fit & how to design the
car to
perfection before the workers were trained other words how would you
train them,
the Black fiberglass training car were used just to get the employees
to get the job
done with out damaging S.S panels & parts as John didn't want to pay
for anything
more than he had to due to the tight budget. if you go through the
history you will
also find that Warrenty cars started at vin 560 gee why would they do
that? why not
500? Because these cars were ment to be training cars, engineering
cars, promotional
cars, experimental cars & management cars, you can also look back at
the Delorean
history & see a clip were the car is being judged by every day people
on comfort,
sleekness, affordability, the only complaint they really had was
hitting their heads on
the door when they got out. that was in Aug 1979 (not the proto type
eaither.) we can
debate this forever but if you think about it you to might agree, you
have to make
regular cars before you can debug them & produce them in volume.
Lawrence

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_o...> wrote:
me recent research by several individuals, including myself,

>> has brought into question the actual build chronology of the
>> early 500 series cars and it appears that VIN...500 may not be
>> the first 500 series car off the production line.
>>
>> Stainless Steel Illusion claims that VIN...500 rolled off the
>> assembly line on January 21, 1981, yet a few other 500 series
>> cars were already in the US prior to that date and were on the
>> Auto Show circuit (including the 1981 Detriot Auto show) as
>> much as two weeks before this date.  Several former DeLorean
>> Motor Company employees have helped to confirm these details.
>>
>> Many of these early 500 series cars were considered engineering
>> cars by DeLorean Motor Company employees, so it is difficult to
>> classify which cars were the first production cars intended to
>> be sold to the public.  There are more questions than answers.
>>
>> Stayed tuned for more info on this topic and if you are very
>> interested in this topic, more details will be available at
>> the 25th anniversary celebration of the Delorean marque and
>> the DCS 2006 event next year.
>>
>> Later,
>> Rich W.
>>

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_l...>

>> (currently

>> museum

>> help

>> vehicles,

cars

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:58:10 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: One more question (A/C fans cycle)

I know that if there is too much freon in the system the fans wont cycle.
My question is after enough use of the A/C will the freon level be (low
enough) to a point that the switch will start working?  Or is my logic all
screwed up?
-Alex

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:03:45 -0000
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase

Alright, I picked up #06859 this afternoon that I won in an ebay
auction (auction # 4566780231).  The car was described as excellent
condition inside and out and was owned by a mechanic, so I
thought....this is the one.  Well, I'll cut to the chase and say that I
need help.  If anyone lives in the DC/Maryland area or more
specifically near Calvert County, I need you.  I'll get into the
specifics about the transaction below, but the car has some major
issues that I'm going to need help with and would appreciate it if
someone could take it for a drive and look at it and tell me what you
think the problems are.  Here are the major issues so far that I have
uncovered:

First, the parking brake will not engage.  This is major because it
won't pass a Maryland inspection.  The parking brake light will go on
if you pull the brake up one notch, after that, it goes out and the
brake will not hold.

Second, and probably more serious, I suspect a fuel system issue.  The
idle is racing.  When I sit at an idle (with or without
airconditioning) it revs between 500 and 1100 RPM.  It is constantly
reving almost like I am tapping the gas pedal every second.

Also, which may be related, when I lift my foot off of the gas it
sounds like I've got a trail of "Just Married" cans being pulled behind
the car.  It's not quite a backfire, but it isn't what you would expect
a fine automobile to sound like.

Also potentially related is the fact that the car makes a loud banging
noise whenever I take a hard left turn.  I saw a posting some time this
week that had someone with this sound whenever they made a hard turn
and they suspected a suspension or bearing issue and it turned out to
be something with the fuel system. I don't know what forum it was, but
I'll be looking for it tonight.

Another issue is that the Oil Pressure gauge seemed to function
normally during the three hour drive, but about half way through it,
the gauge went all the way past 80 and was point to the "I" in Oil.
After a while it went back to normal.

Now before you suggest I go buy the shop manual, that was one of the
things the car was SUPPOSED to come with.  However, integrity seems to
be lacking in the individual that sold me this car.

None of the marker lights on the doors will light.  I haven't even
tried to track that issue down.  This could be anything from a
pulled/blown fuse.....I think I'll get to that one last.

The body is not in the excellent condition that it was described to be
in either.  The stainless isn't too bad, but there are several dings in
various spots and a deep scratch across the grain of the steel on the
hood.

A brand new steering rack was installed this morning and it feels a
little loose.  I have no experience with cars without power steering,
so maybe it is supposed to be this way, which brings me back to my need
for someone to drive it who is "in the know".

Now before you say, Nate, why did you even go on with the transaction.
Well, that is funny you should ask.  The racing idle issue was
immediately apparent.  However the clunking sound when you take your
foot off of the gas and when you make a hard left turn were not
immediately apparent.  The dings aren't THAT noticable (the utter lack
of any weatherstripping was though!)  But the main reason was that I
met this guy on the Jersey Turnpike so I didn't have to drive all the
way to Yonkers (I'm one of those federal law enforcement types working
a midnight shift with no days off in sight).  My wife (who I must thank
because she rarely says no to me .......outside of the bedroom, anyway)
had to make an appointment at 2:30 and the knucklehead was late showing
up.  So I got left at the rest area in New Jersey like cheap luggage.
The Delorean had now become my ride home with no back-up.

So the moral of the story is this:
When buying on ebay READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!
When it says "headliner recently replaced" look into the fact that the
guy has a Johnny Bravo type of hairstyle that requires 15 W 50 to keep
it up. The headliner again needs to be replaced bacause I don't want
people thinking that crap came from my head!!!

When it says interior and exterior in excellent condition.....well that
one is kind of like my single days at the Federal Law Enforcement
Training Center and the rating system for women there.  A "6" in real
life was a FLETC "9" when you factor in the pool of applicants and the
last time you actually saw a female.  I'll rate this car a fair as it
sits now.

Anyway, I'd probably be a lot more upset right now if it wasn't for the
fact that I know that Delorean owners are a rare breed and take care of
each other.  I'm hoping I can restore this girl to her original glory
with your help!!!!

Thanks,
Nate
AKA "Really mad I sold a perfectly good Porshe Boxster for this car"

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:54:20 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/doors up fun

First off the top: The BTTF car owner is Not Marty it's Monte!! My car (Lawrence's car)
is vin/00538.My leg is still sore from holding in that clutch. I finally left at 9:40pm
when it was winding down for the evening check out the photos under Dream Cruise.
Lawrence

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:07:26 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: River City Autofest

I will be in Evansville again this year
With possibly two cars
Gigawatt and the Raffle car

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:18:07 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Richard Roasles

Richard,
Would you please e-mail me directly off this list?   There are a few
things I'd like to talk to you about.   I'm at ccjarzab(at)yahoo.com
Thanks,
Christian

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:57:35 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

First off, good read.  I really like your personality.  You made some funny
comments and I'm sure you'll make lifelong friends real quick in the
DeLorean Community.

Second, I know it seems to be alot to take in right now but don't worry,
ALOT of new DeLorean owners don't understand fully the "qwirks" of this
prestigious and timeless automobile so it can be a bit scary in the
beginning.

I'll try to address as many of your issues as possible.

The Parking Brake.  It most certainly needs service.  Most local auto shops
can do the work if you do not live close to a major service center but I
would HIGHLY recommend a DeLorean Service Center if it's possible.  However,
be wary of anyone working on the car who does not appreciate the uniqueness
of the DeLorean.  If you have competent mechanical skill you may be able to
do the work yourself as braking systems are very similar in design for
various makes and models.

The Racing RPM's.  I'm positive it is either VACUUM or FUEL related.  Vacuum
is highly likely.  Check all your hoses for snugness and tears.

The "Just Married" sound.  I suspect it is fuel metering.  I just serviced a
car in Charlotte last week and while the owner drove around the parking lot
I could hear the exact sound you described coming from his exhaust during
light deceleration.  I made a small manual fuel adjustment and the car ran
perfectly without the sound of cans behind the car.  This needs to be done
by someone familiar with the car and the Bosch Fuel Injection.  It really
isn't that hard and the service manual describes the procedure.

The Banging Hard Left.  Possibly a Tie Rod End or wheel bearing

The Oil Presssure Gauge.  If it's original replace with a new upgraded unit.
  You're probably fine and it's a gauge problem if you think the pressures
too high.  However, my DeLorean (well, my old DeLorean) and another one here
always show close to or around 80lbs on the gauge.  Our engines are properly
filled and do not leak...everythings fine.

No Door Marker Lights.  Check the switch in the door jamb near the dash.
These had bad connections and may just need a cleaning and or tightening.
Also check the appropriate fuse.  I worked on a car that blew the fuse
everytime you plugged it in and we traced the fault to the engine
compartment light.

The Stainless Finish.  Don't worry...it's SS and it can be fixed!  DMCH does
EXCELLENT regraining of the Stainless.  Dings are apparent in almost every
DeLorean I've ever seen if they had a couple of years outside.  If it has a
good grain it hides the dings in most cases and they are only visible at
certain angles.  A friend of mine has a FLAWLESS grain finish (done by DMCH)
and it turns out after 2 years of seeing him and his car I spotted a small
ding.  He always knew it was there but I never saw it.  It was that good of
a finish and the ding really wasn't that big anyhow.

The Steering.  It takes some getting used to.  It will feel very loose once
you're moving.  Most auto critics regarded the DeLoreans handling as one of
it's BEST features.

Personally Nate, I woulda walked home or waited for another ride.  I'm not
knocking the car because it is a DeLorean and can ALWAYS be brought to
glory.  If I was under the assumption that I was buying a car in excellent
condition and saw that it was not up to the standards of how it was
represented I woulda backed out.  There has been an overwhelming amount of
DeLorean EBAY scams or misrepresented cars this year.  I've been reading
about them quite a bit here an in other forums.  Everyone reading this who
is thinking of buying a car online BE CAUTIOUS...with any vehicle purchase
online.  It isn't just EBAY...the scams and misrepresented cars have shown
up on other online car sites.

I can however, understand why you bought it aside from the pressure.  The
really are beautiful aren't they?  Just to touch the Stainless...it'll
always take me back to better days  :)

We're all here to help you out so don't be afraid to ask questions even if
you think they sound dumb.  We've all been there and I think it's all been
said.  I find the DeLorean Owners really do become like family.  Once you
meet you have a whole new group of friends.  My favorite part of being an
owner was that when we all got together for a big cruise we were our own
club and the most popular wherever we went.

You'll know what I mean when you go to your first DeLorean Cruise in or car
show.

Welcome to the fold  :)

Jeff in NC

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 03:18:20 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

delorean6859 wrote:

>>Alright, I picked up #06859 this afternoon that I won in an ebay
>>auction (auction # 4566780231).  The car was described as excellent
>>condition inside and out and was owned by a mechanic, so I
>>thought....this is the one.  Well, I'll cut to the chase and say that I
>>need help.  If anyone lives in the DC/Maryland area or more
>>specifically near Calvert County, I need you.  I'll get into the
>>specifics about the transaction below, but the car has some major
>>issues that I'm going to need help with and would appreciate it if
>>someone could take it for a drive and look at it and tell me what you
>>think the problems are.  Here are the major issues so far that I have
>>uncovered:

Sorry your having difficulties, but I think it's been said here many
times about allways doing your best to try and inspect ebay vehicles
yourself or seeing if someone on the list is close to where the seller
is and seeing if they will look the car over for you.. (if one ever
comes up in west Tennessee, feel free to ask me)..  Though granted I
bought my own D basicly sight unseen.(but not off ebay, actually found
it in froogle). but I only paid $8k for it too, and the owner was more
than happy to list problem after problem the car had... Though
fortunatly for me none of them were particularly major. About the only
things I was disappointed about with the car was the carpets were in
pretty bad shape, and there is some stainless damage on the left rear
quarter I wasn't told about, but it wasn't that major.

>>First, the parking brake will not engage.  This is major because it
>>won't pass a Maryland inspection.  The parking brake light will go on
>>if you pull the brake up one notch, after that, it goes out and the
>>brake will not hold.

This doesn't sound particularly major.. The parking brake system is
reasonably straight forward. If you mean by won't hold, as in the handle
just won't lock in the up position, the problem is in the handle
itself.. I  have the parking brake lever out of my D right now actually,
as i'm still working to get the body off the frame. I'll try and look at
the locking mechanism for it tomorrow (it's 1:30 am and I need to sleep)
and try and give you an idea what might be loose/jammed/broken to look
for if no one else here suggests anything before I get around to it
after work.  If the handle does latch when you pull it up, then the
problem is probably an adjustment issue, worn or missing parking brake
pads, or both.

>>Second, and probably more serious, I suspect a fuel system issue.  The
>>idle is racing.  When I sit at an idle (with or without
>>airconditioning) it revs between 500 and 1100 RPM.  It is constantly
>>reving almost like I am tapping the gas pedal every second.
>>Also, which may be related, when I lift my foot off of the gas it
>>
>>sounds like I've got a trail of "Just Married" cans being pulled behind
>>
>>the car.  It's not quite a backfire, but it isn't what you would expect
>>a fine automobile to sound like.
>>
>>Also potentially related is the fact that the car makes a loud banging
>>noise whenever I take a hard left turn.  I saw a posting some time this
>>week that had someone with this sound whenever they made a hard turn
>>and they suspected a suspension or bearing issue and it turned out to
>>be something with the fuel system. I don't know what forum it was, but
>>I'll be looking for it tonight.

I unfortunatly can't be of much assistance here.  I'm still dismantling
my D for restoration and before I started it ran as ok as could be
expected for having an entirely stock fuel system.

>>Another issue is that the Oil Pressure gauge seemed to function
>>normally during the three hour drive, but about half way through it,
>>the gauge went all the way past 80 and was point to the "I" in Oil.
>>After a while it went back to normal.

This sounds like an electrical issue but I guess there is a slim chance
it could be major. Most likly a problem with the sender or wiring
though. Was the road particularly bumpy when the gauge acted up? I'd
think if  the spike was due to a blockage you'd have lost pressure
rather than it going up.. Either way, even from what little I know of
the engine's mechanics you'd probably have found out rather quickly if
you'd have lost oil flow for an extended period of time driving at
highway speeds..

>>Now before you suggest I go buy the shop manual, that was one of the
>>things the car was SUPPOSED to come with.  However, integrity seems to
>>be lacking in the individual that sold me this car.
>>
>>None of the marker lights on the doors will light.  I haven't even
>>tried to track that issue down.  This could be anything from a
>>pulled/blown fuse.....I think I'll get to that one last.

This is rather easy. if none of the door lights work, yet all the other
lights do, then the door switches are either broken, disconnected, or
the contacts are bent/dirty.. I know the door switches on my D don't
really appear to be the highest quality construction in the world.

>>The body is not in the excellent condition that it was described to be
>>in either.  The stainless isn't too bad, but there are several dings in
>>various spots and a deep scratch across the grain of the steel on the
>>hood.

A good blending pad will probably make all of these alot less
noticable.. but to be honest, I doubt there are many D's out there that
are actually driven regularly that haven't suffered their own share of
dings and scratches in their nearly 25 year lifetimes.

>>A brand new steering rack was installed this morning and it feels a
>>little loose.  I have no experience with cars without power steering,
>>so maybe it is supposed to be this way, which brings me back to my need
>>for someone to drive it who is "in the know".

You'll really have to define 'loose' a little better..  Does the wheel
have too much play without having much effect?  Worn old shocks have a
drastic effect on how a car handles as well.

>>Now before you say, Nate, why did you even go on with the transaction.
>>Well, that is funny you should ask.  The racing idle issue was
>>immediately apparent.  However the clunking sound when you take your
>>foot off of the gas and when you make a hard left turn were not
>>immediately apparent.  The dings aren't THAT noticable (the utter lack
>>of any weatherstripping was though!)  But the main reason was that I
>>met this guy on the Jersey Turnpike so I didn't have to drive all the
>>way to Yonkers (I'm one of those federal law enforcement types working
>>a midnight shift with no days off in sight).  My wife (who I must thank
>>because she rarely says no to me .......outside of the bedroom, anyway)
>>had to make an appointment at 2:30 and the knucklehead was late showing
>>up.  So I got left at the rest area in New Jersey like cheap luggage.
>>The Delorean had now become my ride home with no back-up.
>>
>>So the moral of the story is this:
>>When buying on ebay READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!
>>When it says "headliner recently replaced" look into the fact that the
>>guy has a Johnny Bravo type of hairstyle that requires 15 W 50 to keep
>>it up. The headliner again needs to be replaced bacause I don't want
>>people thinking that crap came from my head!!!

Having the headliner's redone is no big deal at all really. It hardly
costs anything compared to what some of the problems these cars have
costs to fix.  :)

>>When it says interior and exterior in excellent condition.....well that
>>one is kind of like my single days at the Federal Law Enforcement
>>Training Center and the rating system for women there.  A "6" in real
>>life was a FLETC "9" when you factor in the pool of applicants and the
>>last time you actually saw a female.  I'll rate this car a fair as it
>>sits now.
>>
>>Anyway, I'd probably be a lot more upset right now if it wasn't for the
>>fact that I know that Delorean owners are a rare breed and take care of
>>each other.  I'm hoping I can restore this girl to her original glory
>>with your help!!!!
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Nate

I'm sure the guru's here on the list will have lots of suggestions much
better than what little I can offer to get your D back in good shape
asap.  :)

>>AKA "Really mad I sold a perfectly good Porshe Boxster for this car"

Heh.. Don't want to sound anti-porsche  but I never found much appeal in
the boxster's myself.(for one thing they're getting WAY too common now)
If I was going to own a rollerskate I barely fit in i'd rather have a
good turbo miata and save the extra cash. I've driven a friend's boxster
before, as well as another's mazdaspeed miata.. The boxster handled
'slightly' better than the miata due to better weight distrobution, but
not enough to warrant the extra price, and the turbo miata had alot more
power.  Now 911's on the other hand, now that's a real porsche I
wouldn't mind having.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean
(hasn't had an update in awhile, but between being sick and being out of town... there hasn't been much work done on the car to update)

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:27:07 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Hot Start Issue and BTTF movie

Sorry, but this is just BS !

In the movie the starter didn't crank. This problem was solved
a few weeks or months after the production started. If there
still is a car out there with that problem - it's the owners fault !

The "normal" hot start problem after meanwhile over 20 years
comes from the fuel accumulator that is leaking. The car is cranking
perfectly but simply not starting ! Problem is not a Delorean specific
one, instead it is a simple maintenance thing. Many other cars
do have these fuel accumulators, too. The K-Jetronic needs that thing.
But how many other cars with K-Jet are still on the road ?

You're getting mixed up two totally different things. I'd suspect this
from a kid or from somebody who doesn't know anything about these
cars, but not from an owner !

Elvis

-- GMX DSL = Maximale Leistung zum minimalen Preis! 2000 MB nur 2,99, Flatrate ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 20 Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:36:05 +0200 From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl> Subject: Re: One more question (A/C fans cycle) Hi If there is too much freon in the system the compressor will not cycle and you will have poor performance from the A/C. It will not get cold enough. The question is if it's the cooling fans that do not cycle or if it is the compressor. Check to see if the compressor will cycle. Some people make an "improvement" (completely unnecessary) to have the cooling fans run all the time with the A/C on but the compressor will still cycle as usual. If you notice that the compressor is on all the time you will need to check the pressures in the system before you start replacing parts. NO, the freon is not used up in the system. The amount of it is constant unless there is a leak and you start loosing it. If there is a leak the compressor will start to cycle faster and faster and will eventually stop all together when there is too little freon in the system. Have someone check the low and high side pressures at the compressor. If the low side goes below 25PSI and the compressor doesn't cycle you can suspect the switch. Good luck Tom Niemczewski tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl -> www.deloreana.com VIN 6149 (in Poland!) Save the dream so you can live the dream... ----- Original Message ----- From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:00:55 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Nate - Start with a thorough inspection of the car.  Check everything
from trailing arm bolts to light bulbs.  If you don't have a parts manual,
check out the DMCH website to see the pictures.  Make a list of everything
that is missing or doesn't seem quite right.  Be critical.

Once you have the list complete, start with safety items first like suspension,
steering and brakes.  Then move to the driveability issues.  It's always
better to have a car that you know will turn and stop before it goes.

Throw in some of the easier and cheaper cosmetic fixes just because
it makes you feel better along the way.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-------------- Original message from "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>: --------------

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:22:20 -0000
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DMCH reproduction headlight switch

With a little over a week left in the DMCH drive to reproduce the
headlight switch, I thought I would send out one last reminder to
fellow DMCers and to any new members.  I think the official count is
up to 197, we only need 53 more orders to get the headlight switch
remade.  I know a few of you out there are thinking "why do I need a
new switch? my old one is fine!" but consider this: what harm will
it do to place an order, even if yours is ok?  If it doesn't get
remade, you will get your $40 bux back.  And if it does get remade,
you have a spare.  By ordering a switch now, you are investing in
the future of your car, ensuring that if you ever do need one (which
is quite possible) that you can get them.  Besides, you're probably
going to spend WAAAAY more than $40 to get one if they don't get
remade (can you say ebay gouging?) so again I ask what's the harm in
investing $40?  If this turns out well, perhaps DMCH will reproduce
other parts important to owners requiring a minimum order?  Of
course, that may not happen if they're not successful with something
as small as a headlight switch...I am truly surprised that out of
the 1,000+ members we have we cannot get a 250 person minimum order
going (not counting the fact that several vendors have placed orders
for 10-20 switches or more)...heck, at this point, I'd even be
willing to order a second one just to get the minimum number needed
so we can get this part remade. I really want a new headlight switch
and I'm sure there are others who feel the same!!!

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:00:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Notice to anyone buying a DeLorean... ESPECIALLY on
Ebay!!

Find someone local to you BEFORE you buy the car to go
with you to look at it.   You say you picked up the
car in NJ.  Had you asked, I would have went with you
to inspect the car.  There a a few dozen NJ owners on
this list.

Anyway, what's done is done.  The mechanical problems
you describe don't sound all that bad.  However,
cosmetic problems on a DeLorean can get very
expensive..

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:14:53 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I thought that too, but after watching the DCS '04 DVD from Videobob,
Bob Gale said that they did that with the car not starting because when
you really need your car to start for something being in a hurry, it
won't happen.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:21:06 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Being a fairly new owner myself, I cannot comment on all the issues,
but I can suggest a couple of quick looks.
First, my door lights did not come on either until I played with the
switches in the doors (they were stuck) and now work OK most of the
time. Sometimes they still bind in the "in" position.
Second, the rattleting sound may be your catalitic converter. I had
the same problem and the baffleing had broke down and come loose.
Lightly tap on the converter and listen if anything shakes if so you
need to replace.
Third, unless you are going to use it as a daily driver, there is no
need to inspect in MD if you get historic tags. It is a much cheaper
solution. Look in previous postings for more info on that. Good luck
and welcome

John in Rockville