Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2814
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:23 Aug 2005 22:16:32 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. DeLorean Radar Detectors.
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: The first 500 to 560 series cars built Preproduction
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

5. Re: Air conditioner fans not cycling...
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: DMCH reproduction headlight switch
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

7. Re: Exit Techniques
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: "gklee01" <gklee01_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Front Stabilizer Bar
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

11. Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

12. RE: Front Stabilizer Bar
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

13. Re: DMCH reproduction headlight switch
From: Craig fleishauer <flyswater0_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Stalling D in BTTF response from Bob Gale
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. RE: Stalling D in BTTF response from Bob Gale
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Air conditioner fans not cycling...
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: The first 500 to 560 series cars built Preproduction
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:00:21 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Radar Detectors.

( Note from moderator: The previous moderator mentioned that further radar detector discussion not related specifically to the DeLorean wouldn't be posted. Since then there have been numerous generalized posts regarding detectors that bear no real connection to the DeLorean that were rejected. This post has a DeLorean related question and further related posts that keep on track with the lists purpose of relating to DeLorean issues will go through. Just wanted to clarify, I'm not playing favorites.    Bruce Benson, current moderator )

In my ongoing quest to find a great radar system for the DeLorean,  I've come
across some additional radar information, especially jammers  that are no
longer available...see below.

Does anyone know how to wire the Valentine One radar so that the unit  will
turn on & off with the ignition key?
Is it necessary to pull the headliner?
Is this a bad idea due to the DeLorean's Lucas electrical system?

Thank you very much,
Mike Pack

In a message dated 08/22/2005 4:08:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<What  about laser and radar jammers?
I have been hearing a commercial about a  jammer that is supposed to make you
"invisible"?
Do these really  work?
-vb>

Received the following information from another group:

a laser jammer, plus a V1 and you'd be guaranteed to never get a ticket
again. Jammers are against FCC regulations, and nobody (even Ebay) will sell  them
anymore, since they started cracking down on the manufacturers.

It appears none of the Passive Radar Jammer ever worked as  advertised.
_RadarBuster by Radar Roy_
(http://www.radarbusters.com/support/jammers/Default.asp)  There is only Active Jammer that  works according to the website.
While the manufacture claims it is only outlawed  in a handful of states. There
are plenty of online info that indicates it is  indeed a felony to use such
products.

The FCC closed the company down before Ka band got popular, though, so I
doubt it would jam that. As to being felonious, there are 3 or 4 states (cali,
ohio, and I can't remember the other two....plus everywhere in Canada) where it
 is criminal to possess one, but for the most part they tend to target the
manufacturers rather than the consumers.

_http://www.radartest.com/_ (http://www.radartest.com/)

_http://www.speedzones.com/_ (http://www.speedzones.com/)

_http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0508_2005radar_buyersguide/index.
html_
(http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0508_2005radar_buyersguide/index.html)

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:22:54 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase

Well, what do you know.  Another Maryland D' owner.  I'm from Western
Maryland (Allegany County).  I don't know about the bang in your car
when you let off the gas.  But my car seems to rev itself when it is
cold, but after warm-up it's fine.  Get a blending pad from DMCH it
will help take some of those marks out of your body panels.  My car
will sometimes rattle pulling out if I let it "bog" down too much.  I
think it mayt be the exhaust rattling?  I could be wrong.  Anyone
else with input?

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Alright, I picked up #06859 this afternoon that I won in an ebay
>> auction (auction # 4566780231).  The car was described as excellent
>> condition inside and out and was owned by a mechanic, so I
>> thought....this is the one.  Well, I'll cut to the chase and say

that I

>> need help.  If anyone lives in the DC/Maryland area or more
>> specifically near Calvert County, I need you.  I'll get into the
>> specifics about the transaction below, but the car has some major
>> issues that I'm going to need help with and would appreciate it if
>> someone could take it for a drive and look at it and tell me what

you

>> think the problems are.  Here are the major issues so far that I

have

>> uncovered:
>>
>> First, the parking brake will not engage.  This is major because it
>> won't pass a Maryland inspection.  The parking brake light will go

on

>> if you pull the brake up one notch, after that, it goes out and the
>> brake will not hold.
>>
>> Second, and probably more serious, I suspect a fuel system issue.

The

>> idle is racing.  When I sit at an idle (with or without
>> airconditioning) it revs between 500 and 1100 RPM.  It is

constantly

>> reving almost like I am tapping the gas pedal every second.
>>
>> Also, which may be related, when I lift my foot off of the gas it
>> sounds like I've got a trail of "Just Married" cans being pulled

behind

>> the car.  It's not quite a backfire, but it isn't what you would

expect

>> a fine automobile to sound like.
>>
>> Also potentially related is the fact that the car makes a loud

banging

>> noise whenever I take a hard left turn.  I saw a posting some time

this

>> week that had someone with this sound whenever they made a hard

turn

>> and they suspected a suspension or bearing issue and it turned out

>> be something with the fuel system. I don't know what forum it was,

but

>> I'll be looking for it tonight.
>>
>> Another issue is that the Oil Pressure gauge seemed to function
>> normally during the three hour drive, but about half way through

it,

>> the gauge went all the way past 80 and was point to the "I" in

Oil.

>> After a while it went back to normal.
>>
>> Now before you suggest I go buy the shop manual, that was one of

the

>> things the car was SUPPOSED to come with.  However, integrity seems

>> be lacking in the individual that sold me this car.
>>
>> None of the marker lights on the doors will light.  I haven't even
>> tried to track that issue down.  This could be anything from a
>> pulled/blown fuse.....I think I'll get to that one last.
>>
>> The body is not in the excellent condition that it was described to

be

>> in either.  The stainless isn't too bad, but there are several

dings in

>> various spots and a deep scratch across the grain of the steel on

the

>> hood.
>>
>> A brand new steering rack was installed this morning and it feels a
>> little loose.  I have no experience with cars without power

steering,

>> so maybe it is supposed to be this way, which brings me back to my

need

>> for someone to drive it who is "in the know".
>>
>> Now before you say, Nate, why did you even go on with the

transaction.

>> Well, that is funny you should ask.  The racing idle issue was
>> immediately apparent.  However the clunking sound when you take

your

>> foot off of the gas and when you make a hard left turn were not
>> immediately apparent.  The dings aren't THAT noticable (the utter

lack

>> of any weatherstripping was though!)  But the main reason was that

>> met this guy on the Jersey Turnpike so I didn't have to drive all

the

>> way to Yonkers (I'm one of those federal law enforcement types

working

>> a midnight shift with no days off in sight).  My wife (who I must

thank

>> because she rarely says no to me .......outside of the bedroom,

anyway)

>> had to make an appointment at 2:30 and the knucklehead was late

showing

>> up.  So I got left at the rest area in New Jersey like cheap

luggage.

>> The Delorean had now become my ride home with no back-up.
>>
>> So the moral of the story is this:
>> When buying on ebay READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!
>> When it says "headliner recently replaced" look into the fact that

the

>> guy has a Johnny Bravo type of hairstyle that requires 15 W 50 to

keep

>> it up. The headliner again needs to be replaced bacause I don't

want

>> people thinking that crap came from my head!!!
>>
>> When it says interior and exterior in excellent condition.....well

that

>> one is kind of like my single days at the Federal Law Enforcement
>> Training Center and the rating system for women there.  A "6" in

real

>> life was a FLETC "9" when you factor in the pool of applicants and

the

>> last time you actually saw a female.  I'll rate this car a fair as

it

>> sits now.
>>
>> Anyway, I'd probably be a lot more upset right now if it wasn't for

the

>> fact that I know that Delorean owners are a rare breed and take

care of

>> each other.  I'm hoping I can restore this girl to her original

glory

>> with your help!!!!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nate
>> AKA "Really mad I sold a perfectly good Porshe Boxster for this car"

Calvert

2

alternator

need

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:57:07 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: The first 500 to 560 series cars built Preproduction

Vin 551 is currently for sale in the UK

Martin

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:13:17 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

delorean6859 wrote:

>>First, the parking brake will not engage.  This is major because it
>>won't pass a Maryland inspection.  The parking brake light will go on
>>if you pull the brake up one notch, after that, it goes out and the
>>brake will not hold.

Adjusting the handbrake is really easy. Assuming the pads are okay (I've
seen them where the pad material has fallen off the plate, but that was
a once only) It's a 5 mintue job, including the time to take the wheels
off. Unless the cable has become unhooked from the yoke on the handle.
Either way, it won't cost anything in parts to fix. I've yet to see a
snapped cable.

>>Second, and probably more serious, I suspect a fuel system issue.  The
>>idle is racing.  When I sit at an idle (with or without
>>airconditioning) it revs between 500 and 1100 RPM.  It is constantly
>>reving almost like I am tapping the gas pedal every second.

Lambda system not working or sensor has failed. Alternatively the
"mechanic" has mucked about with the mixture. It's runing rich. Usual
culprit is a failed lambda sensor, wrong relay in yellow* socket (should
be 2x 15A), failed control pressure regulator, though usually these fail
lean. You can eleminate a lot of possibilities by telling us if our
frequency valve buzzes. It's just under your air box on the right hand
rocker cover. SOunds like an angry cricket.

>>Also, which may be related, when I lift my foot off of the gas it
>>sounds like I've got a trail of "Just Married" cans being pulled behind
>>the car.  It's not quite a backfire, but it isn't what you would expect
>>a fine automobile to sound like.

Exhaust crossover heatshields are loose. A really simple fix (because
the bolts usually break) is to wrap a couple of hose clips around them
and the pipe to hold them down. Could also be a missing bolt on the
right hand end of the main rear box heatshield. It's a sod to put in,
but if left off, rattles like a good-un. Manifold heat stove also a
possibility, but the crossover heatshields are the most common

>>Also potentially related is the fact that the car makes a loud banging
>>noise whenever I take a hard left turn.

Some cars have problems with the wheel rubbing on the anti-roll bar.
Look for a shiny spot and there's your answer. Unless you mean hard
cornering at speed? If so, and if, as you say below, it also does it
when throttling back, check trailing arm bolts and all ball joints
(depending on whether it's coming from the front or the back).

>>Another issue is that the Oil Pressure gauge seemed to function
>>normally during the three hour drive, but about half way through it,
>>the gauge went all the way past 80 and was point to the "I" in Oil.
>>After a while it went back to normal.

Original pressure gauge senders are crap. Remember you do also have an
oil pressure light so you can trust that. Most cars make do with just a
light.

>>None of the marker lights on the doors will light.  I haven't even
>>tried to track that issue down.  This could be anything from a
>>pulled/blown fuse.....I think I'll get to that one last.

Check the pin switches are plugged in. If the interior lights work, it
ain't the fuse.

>>A brand new steering rack was installed this morning and it feels a
>>little loose.  I have no experience with cars without power steering,
>>so maybe it is supposed to be this way, which brings me back to my need
>>for someone to drive it who is "in the know".

Check for play in the steering joints that go from the bottom of the
column to the rack. Are you sure it' a proper "new" rack? Check when it
was installed that the right-hand (square) bracket has located the
flange on the rack into the two little tongues on the plate beneath it.
It is possible to install so it allows the rack to move.

>>When it says interior and exterior in excellent condition.....well that
>>one is kind of like my single days at the Federal Law Enforcement
>>Training Center and the rating system for women there.  A "6" in real
>>life was a FLETC "9" when you factor in the pool of applicants and the
>>last time you actually saw a female.  I'll rate this car a fair as it
>>sits now.

There are quite a few owners out there with "rose tinted specs" who
think their car is better than it is. My car is my pride and joy but I
really would like to rery and sell it!  :-)  (it does have strait bodywork
though <grin>)

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:30:38 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Air conditioner fans not cycling...

Try unplugging the Fanzilla and replace the bypass.  See if the fans
come on with the old setup.

Johnny
5518

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:42:22 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH reproduction headlight switch

I second this post, not just because I want a new switch, but also
because if this experiment works, then other parts that we need, that
are out of stock may also get re-made in the same way.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> With a little over a week left in the DMCH drive to reproduce the
>> headlight switch, I thought I would send out one last reminder to
>> fellow DMCers and to any new members.  I think the official count

is

>> up to 197, we only need 53 more orders to get the headlight switch
>> remade.  I know a few of you out there are thinking "why do I need

>> new switch? my old one is fine!" but consider this: what harm will
>> it do to place an order, even if yours is ok?  If it doesn't get
>> remade, you will get your $40 bux back.  And if it does get remade,
>> you have a spare.  By ordering a switch now, you are investing in
>> the future of your car, ensuring that if you ever do need one

(which

>> is quite possible) that you can get them.  Besides, you're probably
>> going to spend WAAAAY more than $40 to get one if they don't get
>> remade (can you say ebay gouging?) so again I ask what's the harm

in

>> investing $40?  If this turns out well, perhaps DMCH will reproduce
>> other parts important to owners requiring a minimum order?  Of
>> course, that may not happen if they're not successful with

something

>> as small as a headlight switch...I am truly surprised that out of
>> the 1,000+ members we have we cannot get a 250 person minimum order
>> going (not counting the fact that several vendors have placed

orders

>> for 10-20 switches or more)...heck, at this point, I'd even be
>> willing to order a second one just to get the minimum number needed
>> so we can get this part remade. I really want a new headlight

switch

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:26:10 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Exit Techniques

In a message dated 8/21/2005 10:45:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:
how do you get out of your
Delorean?  I am asking because my grand parents >>

And of course, you should stand by the door to assist, and suggest they turn
toward the rear as they exit. Probably good advice for any age. My wife got
out a bit too briskly after her first ride and, predictably, conked her head on
the door. Got to admit, the first time I got in a D, the seat was cranked
upright for a short driver, and when I closed the door, my head ricocheted around
like a pin ball.  Duh. I always drive with the seat reclined, as a tall person
should.
Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:46:49 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Whoah, slow down spinach chin. I live nearby and so does Mike Cohee.

Marc is right about having someone near the seller check it out for
you. Oh well. Lesson learned. I'm sure my car was worse than yours is
now.

Email me offline. Also, you don't need to pass any dang inspection.
You can get historic plates like all the rest of us and not be
bothered with it. Of course, we'll still be fixing your parking brake.

Rich A.
racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike.griese_at_dml_w... wrote:

>> Nate - Start with a thorough inspection of the car.  Check

everything

>> from trailing arm bolts to light bulbs.  If you don't have a parts

manual,

>> check out the DMCH website to see the pictures.  Make a list of

everything

>> that is missing or doesn't seem quite right.  Be critical.
>>
>> Once you have the list complete, start with safety items first like

suspension,

>> steering and brakes.  Then move to the driveability issues.  It's

always

>> better to have a car that you know will turn and stop before it

goes.

<tmadsop_at_dml_c...>: --------------

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:15:18 -0000
From: "gklee01" <gklee01_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Alright, I picked up #06859 this afternoon that I won in an ebay
>> auction (auction # 4566780231).  The car was described as

excellent

>> condition inside and out and was owned by a mechanic, so I
>> thought....this is the one.  Well, I'll cut to the chase and say

that I

>> need help.

I am a new member here..purchased my Delorean off of eBay last
month.  I have heard great things about the members of this forum
and they undoubtedly can help you get this car to the excellent
condition you were expecting, however, I would seriously consider
looking into eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection.  I am pasting the
description below as it is free and automatically applies to any
vehicle purchased through eBay motors and covers material
misrepresentation.  I am not sure of all the details, but it sounds
like you have a legitimate argument for a partial refund or some
kind of compensation because you bought something in "excellent
condition inside and out" which it clearly is not.  Keep us posted
as I for one would like to hear how everything pans out for you.

Glenn

DESCRIPTION OF EBAY VEHICLE PURCHASE PROGRAM:
Buy with confidence on eBay Motors!
The Vehicle Purchase Protection program protects your vehicle
purchase against fraud and material misrepresentation. This program
is provided by eBay Motors for FREE on all eligible transactions
completed on the eBay Motors site. There's no sign-up, opt-in, or
registration necessary. Your vehicle purchase is protected for up to
$20,000 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower. The
following table provides a summary of the vehicles types covered and
the coverage offered for each.

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:08:56 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Front Stabilizer Bar

Martin Gutkowski reminded me of this today when I read his reply to Nate about his new car.  I have noticed for a while that whenever I make sharp turns with the wheel all the way to one side, usually in a parking lot.  My tires will rub on the front stabilizer bar, I can tell since there is a shiny spot rubbed into the bar.  I assume this is not normal, so what could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:06:24 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Spinach chin?

My point is that these are the issues Nate knows about after
a very short ownership.  There could be lots of other stuff
lurking that won't show up until something breaks or falls off
the car without an inspection.  And since Nate isn't as familiar
with the car as some, referring to the parts guide is a good
way to go.  At least you have some idea of what you are looking
at and how it should look.

Obvious flaws that are easy to fix are almost always an indicator
of other, more serious problems in a car.

-------------- Original message from "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:26:13 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Front Stabilizer Bar

I noticed that as well.  I found that on my former car and a few others out
here there were rubbing marks on the stabilizer and you could here it
especially in a parking lot.

The fix...easy.  We re-did our front end alignments and the cars drove
perfect with even tire wear and never rubbed again.

A worn Tie Rod End can also cause the rubbing as was the case with my former
car but the Tie Rod was in a few too many threads.  The PO probably moved it
in to compensate for the worn TRE.

Jeff in NC

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:07:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Craig fleishauer <flyswater0_at_dml_yahoo.com>

  ( Go to http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch.asp.  Moderator)

You can coumt me in. How do I get added to the list?

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:17:44 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Stalling D in BTTF response from Bob Gale

I asked Bob Gale if the stalling was scripted or was becaue the car did that to him during filming

This is in response to the BTTF thread on the dml the last few days
Here is Bobs response

>From Bob Gale:

No, the Delorean not starting on cue was scripted, to build suspense and tension, and it?s a function of most cars: when you REALLY need them to perform, they let you down!

Another mystery solved

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:09:18 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Stalling D in BTTF response from Bob Gale

This question and many others are answered in detail on my 2-disc DVD set
from igeon Forge (plug plug) at http://www.dfwdmc.com
There are hours of interviews and speeches from BTTF people and DeLorean
experts!
There is more fun with Bob, Jeffery and Claudia on a third disc for the
awards and raffle.
(plug plug)

Vin5278 and shameless plugger,
- Videobob

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Alex,
Did you notice this when the car was idling or during a drive? Reason for
asking...  the manual says that the AC cycling may not happen when the car is
idling. Make sure the RPMs are up and see if they cycle then.

Shannon Y
16506

---------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:40:32 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

The initial intent of my post was to inform others of the findings
regarding actual build chronology of 500 series cars and not to
begin discussions on a whole bunch of other related or non-related
issues about "intent" behind the "pre" and early production cars.

Although most of the 500 series cars ended up as engineering cars,
there was no plan in place before production was started to make
a specific number of DeLoreans into engineering cars.  There would
be no reason to plan to make exactly 61 cars pre-production.

SSI has plenty of references to many of the first 100 to 500 cars
having such poor fit and finish that they were parked along a back
fence, without being given a specific purpose for any future use.
Many of these cars became the engineering cars after the fact.

As I mentioned in my post, there will be time before, during and
after DCS 2006 to share info and discuss these topics further.

Looking forward to compiling some good, solid research in this area.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_n...>