Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2816
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:24 Aug 2005 21:37:29 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Maryland Owners, Nate and Joey's new DeLoreans
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/doors up fun
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. factory painted deloreans
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

4. Article On My Delorean
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

5. Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/doors up fun
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. Lowering the D (was: Front Stabilizer Bar)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Hot Start Issue
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/doors up fun/Dave Swingle(gatherings)/headlight swith
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

9. Transmission Fluid and Changing Procedure
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

10. How do I replace reverse safety pin on shift linkage
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

11. Re: Maryland Owners, Nate and Joey's new DeLoreans
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: factory painted deloreans
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Woodward Dream Cruise
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

14. Re: Lowering the D (was: Front Stabilizer Bar)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: air conditioner cycle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: DeLorean Radar Detectors.
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Re: Re: factory painted deloreans
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

18. Re: Re: factory painted deloreans
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: factory painted deloreans
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

20. Re: Re: air conditioner cycle
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

21. A/C fans cycle...
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:07:37 -0000
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Maryland Owners, Nate and Joey's new DeLoreans

Anyone is invited to my house if we have a tech session.  The only
problem is me getting the time to do it.  It looks like I'm going out
of town for a week starting on Thursday.  If you guys want to go over
to my house while I'm not there and completely restore the car to
DMCH specs, I'll be happy to recognize you on the DML for your
selfless contribution.  Barring that, we'll have to be a little
spontaneous.  My work schedule SUCKS and usually results in me
working on weekends.  If I work a day shift, I could be home by early
afternoon though on a weekend. I'll keep you posted.

PS - When we do this, anyone can come.  You can meet the world's
dumbest neighbor and drink my beer.

Nate

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:17:58 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/doors up fun

My brother Gordon has posted a great web page regarding the WDC.
Attached is a link with some excellent pics and a few kind words about
Deloreans.

http://mgpmrc.org/Articles/DreamCruise/index.html

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_m...>

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:06:24 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: factory painted deloreans

Hey all.. Was just bored and digging through the old DMC service
bulletins, and I read in ST-02-2/82 that three deloreans were test
painted at the factory. Does anyone know what happened to these three
original cars, and what colors were tried?

Just curious.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:51:16 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Article On My Delorean

Just thought I would pass this along for anyone who may want to read it.  A reporter did a story about my Delorean last week.  They had a photographer take some nice shots (they used only a few) and it looks like the reporter did some research about John Delorean and the company as well on the internet.  I thought it came out well.  A few small type o's and a few facts she got worng from what I told her, such as sayiong a paid 1,600 in stead of 16,000 for the car.  However in general I thought it portrayed the car and John in a postive light overall.  Anyway here is a scan of the two pages for those interested.

Gary Gore
Vice President
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:23:11 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Byron's Photos now available at
http://www.dmcnews.com/events/woodward05/woodward05.html

on

http://www.dmcnews.com/gatherings.html

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:13:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Lowering the D (was: Front Stabilizer Bar)

I have Gradys front springs on my car to lower it a bit.  Will I need to adjust the stabilizer bar at all because of the different stance?  Just wondering.

erik

Jeff Friday <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:
Dave,

I might try that washer trick whenever I'm lucky enough to get another
DeLorean.

My Tie Rod Ends were so worn it was difficult to keep the car straight and
that was one of the first items I tackled. The car would shake violently at
anything over 45 miles per hour so it was a bit frightening.

Once I put the new ones on and did the alignment the car rode like a dream
with good clearance from the stabilizer. I had to replace the front tires
also because of damage from lord knows how much driving with the tires
rubbing.

Jeff in NC

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hot Start Issue

I am having a hot start issue. After the car heats up
and I turn it off, I go to start it back up a few
minutes later and it cranks but does not want start
and I either end up flooding it or the battery drains
on me and needs to be jumped.
Being a new owner, is this a common problem??

Joey

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:06:28 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Woodward Dream Cruise/doors up fun/Dave Swingle(gatherings)/headlight swith

This will be my last post regarding Woodward cruise until planning
for next years 25 anniversaries. I already have a verbal from Rich W
about bringing D-Rex. I will make arrangements to have a center
parking location in the center of all the action for next year.
Televised footage is without question.
Woodward T shirts customized for the 25th will be allowed; but must
be handled through the official Woodward cruise T-shirt organizer.
Dave Swingle has posted pictures of the cruise on this website, go
to "gatherings" on the home page and get ready for some great pics.
McDonalds and D's go hand in hand, our cars are addicting!
If anyone needs wheels refurbished, I had mine recently powder
coated at a facility in Michigan
www.mobilewheelrepairs.com/index.html, this is a franchise, so there
may be one local to you. They did an amazing job.

Oh Yeah, BUY a Headlight Switch today!!!!!!Think about how guilty
you will feel if DMCH doesn't succeed with this program. It's easy,
get your credit card and do it. What's more important, a lousy
dinner for two, or recreating an obsolete part for the Super D.?
www.delorean.com/headlightswitch.asp

Byron

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:56:08 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Transmission Fluid and Changing Procedure

I want to change my fluid this or next weekend, and want to make sure
I buy the right fluid.  Is what's recommended in the manual still what
should be used, or is there a new type of fluid (akin to sythetic
motor oil) that is recommended now?  Also, I hear that the drain and
filler plugs are square headed?  Are they like the oil drain plug?  If
so, I had a rough time removing it with a make-shift tool (then
replaced it with a hex head plug.  Are there similar replacement
transmission oil plugs?

As far as refilling, how is this done?  Would I need any special
dispensing tubes or devices?

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:48:21 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: How do I replace reverse safety pin on shift linkage

I received a few posts on my problem earlier this month where I had
trouble looking for second gear when shifting. Someone mentioned
that the reverse safety pin on the shift linkage could bent. This is
the safety pin that makes it so you have to pull up on the shifter
to put the car into reverse.

I looked at it today, and that is exactly the problem.  The pin
completely broke off!  The broken half was sitting inside the
linkage area.  Thus, when I am looking for second gear, I am also
fishing around reverse and fourth gears instead of being confident
to shove the stick all the way to the left into second gear.  Thus,
I grind or shift into fourth quite often when downshifting, and
probably dangerously working against the reverse gears once in a
while when I hear that awful grinding sound!

Is this pin easy to change?.  Will I be able to pull it or tap it
out and replace with a new one (if I pull it out, I want to make
sure there are no surprises)? Also, is this pin a common sheer-type
pin that can be bought at a hardware store?

Thanks for any advice.

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:41:10 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 08/24/2005 8:44:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net writes:

Anyone  is invited to my house if we have a tech session.  The only
problem  is me getting the time to do it.  It looks like I'm going out
of town  for a week starting on Thursday.  If you guys want to go over
to my  house while I'm not there and completely restore the car to
DMCH specs,  I'll be happy to recognize you on the DML for your
selfless  contribution.  Barring that, we'll have to be a little
spontaneous.  My work schedule SUCKS and usually results in me
working on weekends.  If I work a day shift, I could be home by early
afternoon though on a weekend. I'll keep you posted.

PS - When we  do this, anyone can come.  You can meet the world's
dumbest neighbor  and drink my beer.

Nate

Nate,

Just let us know. There is another issue, after my Dad and I (both DMC
owners) volunteered to work on & help out Bernie (new DMC owner)  in 104 degree
heat,  he told me not to bring my Dad with me to visit  Joey (new DMC owner)
said it wasn't proper for a stranger  (myself included) to visit a
stranger...gee, that's how people meet. So, if you  have an issue with people helping you
out or meeting strangers, let us know in  advance so we can take precautions.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:42:42 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: factory painted deloreans

DMCH has a painted fender that has all kinds of different colors of
paint that were tested on it, which can be seen hanging in their
warehouse.  I'm sure someone (Mark V?) has some pictures of it from
the open house that they would want to post to show you.

-Patrick C.
1880

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Hey all.. Was just bored and digging through the old DMC service
>> bulletins, and I read in ST-02-2/82 that three deloreans were test
>> painted at the factory. Does anyone know what happened to these three
>> original cars, and what colors were tried?
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Chris
>> VIN# 03209
>> http://badger.brazi.net/delorean
>>

>> --

8/22/2005

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:21:19 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Woodward Dream Cruise

Had I known Shannon was taking my picture, I would have sucked in my gut!

Had a great time time at the cruise (got there Friday night and visited 14 - 15 Mile Road, 'cause on Saturday it would be impossible to drive, since it becomes a parking lot of extremely slow traffic).

People were interested and interesting. One guy with 9 feet of chain hanging from his rear pocket to his belt, unkempt, wearing a pseudo biker jacket kept mumbling " weird man, really weird cars" as he viewed the group of DeLoreans _at_dml_ McDonald's near 9 Mile Road.

Being the old man in the DeLorean group was cool. Nice group of owners / people! Made me feel comfortable, and welcomed. My age group seemed to have the coolest, sharpest, best hot rods -  '38 Dodge sedan (Chevy powered / billet everything / trick paint / white leather interior - a 100 point car, 64 T-Bird convertible to die for - laser straight, show quality black paint,  antique cars of every make, a dynamite custom Vette powered '39 Lasalle sedan, trick rods, etc., and a few old guys even had trophy ladies!

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:59:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Lowering the D (was: Front Stabilizer Bar)

The "Washer Trick" is ONLY to be used when, during the alignment, the
settings say a front wheel is too far forward or back. If you lower
the car you should have the alignment settings checked. You may have
to have the toe tweaked a little.

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:08:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: air conditioner cycle

If the compressor clutch is not cycling then the cooling fans will not
cycle when the A/C is running. The cooling fan circuit is set up so
EITHER the otterstadt turns the fans on OR the A/C clutch circuit.
Both can turn the fans on but EITHER can keep them running. A little
bit of and/or logic here. Bottom line is the compressor clutch should
be cycling and then the cooling fans will also. You may have to adjust
the amount of refrigerent and/or the setting on the low pressure
switch. Too much refrigerent can cause the system to not cycle. If a
person not familiar with Deloreans worked on the A/C he would
overcharge the system to the point where it will not cycle. In such a
case the system must be drained and the correct amount metered back
in. THEN you can adjust the pressure switch (if necessary).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I didn't check when the car was in motion but NEITHER the compressor

or the

>> fans cycle.  I decided to take it to a shop today to have them

pressure test

>> it.  I would think even at idle the compressor or the fans would

cycle?  The

>> only time I hear the compressor click is when I start the AC and

when I turn

>> it off.  Otherwise its nonstop.
>> Ill let you know what the shop says.
>> Mahalo,
>> Alex
>>

>> "Alex,
>> Did you notice this when the car was idling or during a drive?

Reason for

>> asking...  the manual says that the AC cycling may not happen when

the car

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:59:17 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Radar Detectors.

( sigh....., moderator)

Mike, removing the headliners depends on how clean you want your
installation to be.  A brand new V1 should come with the unit itself,
and two methods of power. One plugs into the accessory outlet, the
second one taps directly into vehicle power. They both have RJ11 jacks
for wiring it up with simple phone line.

If you have the adaptor that taps directly into vehicle power, place
it somewhere in the electrical compartment and tap into a circuit
switched with ACC or IGN.  Make your you tap it downcurrent of the
fuse!  I used the instrument cluster circuit.  You can then run your
phone line anywhere you like to wherever your V1 is mounted.

I have mine attched to the passenger sun visor.  I park both my visors
in the full forward position when not using them, and that turns out
to be the ideal spot for the visor clip with the V1.  If you want a
"quick and dirty" installation you can tuck the phone wire under the
center console, under the dash, then route up the dash via the seam
for the a-pillar.  If it is big enough you should be able to wedge it
into it, then wedge it between the a-pillar and the windshield.

To fully hide the wire, you may need to remove the front headliner.
If you can or know someone who can crimp an RJ11 plug onto a basic
phone wire, cut off the existing plug. Remove the curtosy fuse. Remove
and disconnect the front dome light. Pull the wires for it back to the
passenger side a-pillar.  This is where I'm not sure if the headliner
needs to come off or not (the visor will need to come off for sure).
I had my headliner off when I did mine, I never tried this with them
on.  There is enough slack on the dome light wires to pull them down
through the a-pillar from under the dash until the spades reach the
vinyl for the a-pillar.  You can then use electrical tape to attach
the cut-off phone wire smoothly and securely right to the point where
they enter the a-pillar from under the dash.  Now pull the wires back
up, and you'll find your taped up phone wire.  Take the tape off and
pull any remaining slack you need directly.  Tuck it up behind the
headliner and your all set for a visor-mounted V1!

For a concealed display, I used 5lbs double-sided foam tape and
secured it under the binnicle on the right side of the steering
collumn and ran that phone wire through the opening for the collumn.
When I recover my binnicle this winter, I'm going to have the new
vinyl or leather moulded around a special opening which will
specifically be made for the V1's concealed display.  End result?
Factory clean look!  Exactly what I look for in all modifications.  I
can take pictures of my installation if you'd like. Good luck.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Packodenton_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> ( Note from moderator: The previous moderator mentioned that further

radar detector discussion not related specifically to the DeLorean
wouldn't be posted. Since then there have been numerous generalized
posts regarding detectors that bear no real connection to the DeLorean
that were rejected. This post has a DeLorean related question and
further related posts that keep on track with the lists purpose of
relating to DeLorean issues will go through. Just wanted to clarify,
I'm not playing favorites.    Bruce Benson, current moderator )

>> In my ongoing quest to find a great radar system for the DeLorean,

I've come

>> across some additional radar information, especially jammers  that

are no

>> longer available...see below.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to wire the Valentine One radar so that the

unit  will

>> turn on & off with the ignition key?
>> Is it necessary to pull the headliner?
>> Is this a bad idea due to the DeLorean's Lucas electrical system?
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>> Mike Pack
>>

>> In a message dated 08/22/2005 4:08:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>> videobob_at_dml_h... writes:
>>
>> <What  about laser and radar jammers?
>> I have been hearing a commercial about a  jammer that is supposed to

make you

>> "invisible"?
>> Do these really  work?
>> -vb>
>>
>> Received the following information from another group:
>>
>> a laser jammer, plus a V1 and you'd be guaranteed to never get a

ticket

>> again. Jammers are against FCC regulations, and nobody (even Ebay)

will sell  them

>> anymore, since they started cracking down on the manufacturers.
>>
>> It appears none of the Passive Radar Jammer ever worked as  advertised.
>> _RadarBuster by Radar Roy_
>> (http://www.radarbusters.com/support/jammers/Default.asp)  There is

only Active Jammer that  works according to the website.

>> While the manufacture claims it is only outlawed  in a handful of

states. There

>> are plenty of online info that indicates it is  indeed a felony to

use such

>> products.
>>
>> The FCC closed the company down before Ka band got popular, though,

so I

>> doubt it would jam that. As to being felonious, there are 3 or 4

states (cali,

>> ohio, and I can't remember the other two....plus everywhere in

Canada) where it

>>  is criminal to possess one, but for the most part they tend to

target the

_http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0508_2005radar_buyersguide/index.

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:49:03 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: factory painted deloreans

I belive they were working with Dupont on colored tints that allowed the
stainless grain to show through but they didn't stand up to climate
extremes.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

A few years back, James told us this fender had
plastic tape.  It was not paint.

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:52:21 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I just added all of my photos of the Painted panels i have. Look for
"Painted Panels" in the photos section.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:56:13 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: air conditioner cycle

There's a tech tip in the technical section of the DML web site that details
modifying the fans to run without cycling while in the AC mode. If a PO did
this modification the fans will run continually.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:17:29 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: A/C fans cycle...

I think I have a problem because the condenser and the fans do not ever
cycle with the A.C on.   The compressor only clicks once, and thats when I
turn on the A.C.  I also checked the air coming out and its only getting
about 55 degrees.  According to the manual it should be in the mid 40's.  My
moneys on a pressure/freon problem.
The fanzilla is working great when the vent is on and the car starts to get
hot or when I turn the A/C off I can hear them turn off individually so its
probably not the fanzilla.
Mahalo,
Alex

"Why do you think you have a problem? Is this condition new? With a
fan zilla the fan cycle has a delay - the great feature about the
fan zilla. The compressor is probably cycling faster than the fan
delay which may or may not be a problem. That problem would most
likely be low ac gas, not the fan zilla. But, it doen't sound like
there's much of a problem. Any other symptoms that indicate a
problem?

Harold McElraft - 3354
"