Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2817
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:25 Aug 2005 15:46:15 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Hot Start Issue
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: How do I replace reverse safety pin on shift linkage
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

3. Reproduction headlight switches - UPDATE
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Was it anyone from the list?
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Transmission Fluid and Changing Procedure
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Aug 26th showing of BTTF.
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>

7. Re: factory painted deloreans
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

8. Re: Maryland Owners, Nate and Joey's new DeLoreans
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

9. Re: Hot Start Issue
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Hot Start Issue
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

11. Re: Re: factory painted deloreans
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

12. Has the technology for painting stainless steel changed?
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Maryland Owners, Nate and Joey's new DeLoreans
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Vin 4890 Is forsale.
From: "Jerry Harry" <jlharry_at_dml_mcloudteleco.com>

15. DMC Maryland
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Clutch Disk
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. Re: Transmission Fluid and Changing Procedure
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

18. Re: How do I replace reverse safety pin on shift linkage
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

19. A/C cycle question...
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Reproduction headlight switches - UPDATE
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Clutch Disk
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

22. Re: A/C cycle question...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

23. Re: Maryland Owners, Nate and Joey's new DeLoreans
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

24. Re: Transmission Fluid and Changing Procedure
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

25. Newbies to Deloreans and the DML
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:39:42 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Start Issue

Even though I am new to my Delorean like you, I'll give it a shot.

The hot start issue is a common problem. The most common cause is
fuel not being delivered to the engine and the usual suspects are
the fuel accumulator/fuel system and bad grounding on electrical
system.

Bad electrical ground is an easy fix and shouldn't take you more than
two hours to fix with sand paper and dielectric grease.  Remove
rusted or corroded components (bolts and washers), inspect, use sand
paper to polish and remove rust, put everything back together, and
coat liberally with dielectric grease or something similar.  It'll
remove one of the possible culprits for the hot start problem.

As for fuel accumulator, I'm sure other D owners will give you some
pointers.

Good luck.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:14:24 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: How do I replace reverse safety pin on shift linkage

Being as impatient as I am, and not waiting for what I am sure would
have been excellent advice, I went to a local hardware store and
bought the same diameter/length tensioner pin.  The broken pin
easily pulled out with pliers and I tapped in the new one.  It works
fine now - no more accidentally putting the car into reverse!

Paul
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_f...>
wrote:

>> I received a few posts on my problem earlier this month where I

had

>> trouble looking for second gear when shifting. Someone mentioned
>> that the reverse safety pin on the shift linkage could bent. This

is

>> the safety pin that makes it so you have to pull up on the shifter
>> to put the car into reverse.
>>
>> I looked at it today, and that is exactly the problem.  The pin
>> completely broke off!  The broken half was sitting inside the
>> linkage area.  Thus, when I am looking for second gear, I am also
>> fishing around reverse and fourth gears instead of being confident
>> to shove the stick all the way to the left into second gear.

Thus,

>> I grind or shift into fourth quite often when downshifting, and
>> probably dangerously working against the reverse gears once in a
>> while when I hear that awful grinding sound!
>>
>> Is this pin easy to change?.  Will I be able to pull it or tap it
>> out and replace with a new one (if I pull it out, I want to make
>> sure there are no surprises)? Also, is this pin a common sheer-

type

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:31:28 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Reproduction headlight switches - UPDATE

Bernie's order for a second switch was not properly recorded by Warren
(who's on vacation through Labor Day, btw).

The counter is correct, and is updated manually at the end of each
work day. If you think it's missing an order from you, let me know
ASAP. I only have found this one instance where someone thought they
had ordered and it had been recorded incorrectly by Warren.

http://www.delorean.com/headlightswitch.asp

I've kept out of this discussion this week as so many others have been
chiming in on behalf of this project. But Bernie's assertion that the
counter is incorrect is NOT accurate. If anyone thinks that an order
that they have placed is not represented on the linked page above, let
me know ASAP.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:19:39 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Was it anyone from the list?

Last night my brother called me to see if I was at his house because he was coming
home and saw a DeLorean exiting his neighborhood.  Does anyone on this list either
live in, or was visiting Shorewood, IL. last night (Tuesday)?  Just curious. My brother
asked me if I knew any owners that live over there, so just thought I'd ask.
Corey Ooms

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:42:21 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission Fluid and Changing Procedure

Paul, I'm assumming you have an automatic transmission...

Definately use what the manual recommends.  It still applies - as long
as you don't have an engine/transmission swap.

The drain plugs are indeed like the oil plugs and I think Mr. Hervey
sells the "user friendly" replacement kind.

You will refill the transmission fluid through the transmission
dipstick tube and should use a funnel with a strainer.

There's also your transmission filter, gaskets and final drive to
consider.  The workshop manual covers that.

If you have access to a lift, it's way easier to accomplish and a lot
less messier.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:57:46 -0700
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Aug 26th showing of BTTF.

Hello all,

I have just discovered that I have to be out of town Thurs/Friday, and may not get back until later in the evening on Friday.  We can still get together then or would a weekend day be better.  geoff_ombao, please contact me directly aside from the group.

My email is<twodelo2(at)earthlink.net> where (at) is the _at_dml_ sign.

Thanks,

Al
Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4649/#16049

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:14:16 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: factory painted deloreans

Hmmm...I have actually seen the fender and to me it looked and felt
like paint more than tape.  Especially in the small areas were there
were scratches in the color.

James...can you verify?

Thanks!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:47:41 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Maryland Owners, Nate and Joey's new DeLoreans

Nate,

You might need to take a second-place for "World's Dumbest Neighbor", with
honors going to Dave Stragand.  From http://www.projectvixen.com :

"Jim DeLorean... He went to jail for selling heroin.  Then General Motors
sold The DeLorean Division to the British Government, and they threw all
of the remaining cars into the ocean because they didn't like Howard
Hughes.  But he built a new one now called the Firebird.  I saw it on The
History Channel."  - My Neighbor, George

And, as Chairman of the More Money Than Sense Committee, let me be the
first to welcome you to the enchanting world of "revolving credit".

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:04:08 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Joey,
Most likely it is the fuel accumulator under the center of the car is
what I keep hearing about.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:01:38 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Joey Morgan wrote:

>>I am having a hot start issue. After the car heats up
>>and I turn it off, I go to start it back up a few
>>minutes later and it cranks but does not want start
>>and I either end up flooding it or the battery drains
>>on me and needs to be jumped.
>>Being a new owner, is this a common problem??
>>
>>Joey

Sounds like you need to replace the accumulator.. I think what happens
is the check valve in the accumulator leaks, letting fuel pressure drop
when the car isn't running and the heat from the engine is causing the
fuel system to vapor lock.  I've heard this is a very common problem on
anything using this type of bosch fuel injection, not just specificly
the delorean.. New accumulators run about $100 but it's in a kind of
pain in the butt spot to get too to replace it. especially if you don't
have a lift.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:06:49 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Re: factory painted deloreans

Marc Levy wrote:

>>A few years back, James told us this fender had
>>plastic tape.  It was not paint.

Heh. I guess the answer to my original question is no then.. No one
knows the whereabouts or the colors of the 3 factory painted deloreans
mentioned in service bullitin ST-02-2/82 that dealt with painting
techniques for dealerships wishing to paint the stainless.

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:12:52 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Has the technology for painting stainless steel changed?

In a message dated 08/24/2005 12:58:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

A few  years back, James told us this fender had
plastic tape.  It was not  paint.

There is a right rear quarter panel at DMCH that was painted  burgundy...very
nice, very "classy"
When you look at the QP you can still see the "zebra" stripes beneath  the
paint. Very cool. Has the technology for painting stainless steel changed at
all since 1981?

Sincerely Yours,
Mike Pack

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:36:33 -0000
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

GREAT NEWS!!!!!  I didn't fix the car but I did save a lot of money
on my car insurance..........sense the thing won't be moving from my
garage for a while!!!!

First, to anyone that wants to get together with me to help me, I am
in fact traveling until Sept. 3rd.  I was given two hours to pack, so
I haven't been able to return a few phone calls or emails to some
people.  When I get back, I have no idea what my schedule or days off
(if any) will be, so I appreciate people's willingness to work with
me.

I did spend several hours this morning with the car and made MAJOR
progress.  First, I played with all of the vacuum lines and the idle
problem appears to have gone away.  To be safe, I have ordered a
complete set of new vacuum lines.

The parking brake light is a bad microswitch in the parking brake
handle.  Anyone have any suggestions on where to get that one for a
reasonable price?

I attempted to adjust the parking brake screw on the driver side,
however whenever I turned it to a point where it was at the right
adjustment, the parking brake would pop back out of adjustment.  I
didn't completely remove the adjustment screw, but thinking back now,
I should have to see if it was stripped or something.  My attempt at
getting the passenger side rear wheel off has been thwarted by a
stripped lug nut (DAMN!!!!).  So that will have to go to a tire shop
to get it off.

I also ordered the part to fix the oil pressure gauge issue.

I think I may have isolated the banging noise when I make a hard left
turn, and it isn't pretty.  When I pulled the driver side wheel off I
noticed rubbing on the inside tire wall.  The car had the Eibach
springs installed, so obviously the tire is rubbing against some part
of the car.  I could not find where for the life of me though. I
looked under the car at the passenger side and saw to my annoyance
that the passenger tire is completely cut through to the belt!  A
call to Rick at DMCH was pretty helpful in that he suggested checking
the tire pressure, the rears should be at 36 and the fronts at 28.
The gauge read 10 psi. below that on all tires.  I am hoping that
new, properly inflated tires will solve this.  Is there enough play
in the rear end to allow the tire to rub at hard turns or will
properly inflated tires solve this?????  If anyone has the answer to
that one, I'd appreciate it.

Also, the previous owner appeared to have reinforced the frame at the
base of the shock tower.  I am sure that was done because of rust
through.  I have pictures if anyone wants to look.  I've seen other
owners do the same thing.  Is this acceptable, or is my car destined
to be a parts car (or frame off restoration)?  Please remember this
car is in "EXCELLENT CONDITION" according to the ebay seller.

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:47:20 -0500
From: "Jerry Harry" <jlharry_at_dml_mcloudteleco.com>
Subject: Vin 4890 Is forsale.

It is spending to much time just setting in my garage, it needs road time. A trip to the coffee shop every few weeks is just not enough.
This car runs good, has lots of updates but still needs a few.
If you want to buy a mint condition 1981 car call Houston, they have some nice ones.  If you want a nice running Delorean to drive and add your touches to I have Vin# 4890 for sale at $13,500.00 firm.
 JLHarry_at_dml_mcloudteleco.com

Jerry L. Harry
11300 Jeffery Rd.
Newalla, Ok 74857

That is just east part of Oklahoma City, OK
405-386-9726

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:25:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC Maryland

Hello everyone.  I have been noticing a lot of posts coming from Maryland De Lorean owners recently.  I too, although I am not an owner yet, am from Marland.  There does not, however, seem to be any Maryland De Lorean groups on Yahoo.  So, I made one.  Here it is:  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcmaryland/

It is for any owners or enthusiasts in Maryland or nearby states (Delaware, Pennsylvania, etc.).  The group will be moderated to prevent spam, but off-topic discussions will mostly be allowed.  Also, I will garantee to keep up with it, and not just let it sit for months like some groups I have seen.  So, if your in Maryland (or even if your not) take a look at it and maybe join.

Chuck

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:08:15 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Clutch Disk

Group,
Does any one have any clutch disk cores laying around you don't want.
I will trade or buy them. We are working with a resurfacing company
that can will make the clutch pad in Kevlar for high performance
applications. The resurfacing pads were using now is a blend of
organic material with copper and Kevlar fibers in it, but the complete
pads with Kevlar is what we want to work on.
Please advise on or off line:
John_at_dml_specialtauto.com

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:26:51 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I have a manual transmission.  Is the process for changing similar?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_g...>

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:33:33 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Again, I speak too soon.  With the shift boots off and the linkage
exposed, the stick worked properly yesterday through the gears, I
believe.  When I reassembled and tried to take off for work this
morning, I had a hell of a time putting the stick into reverse, then
I could not shift into first or second, only three through five!
When I reassembled the thick rubber protector over the linkage,
there is a cup shaped section where the stick goes through. Is it
possible that this could be binding for me?  Should the cup-like
shape be depressed inward (like a bowl), or should it protrude up
around the stick (like an upside down  bowl)?  I am thinking I have
it inward, possibly getting in the way of me moving the stick enough
to the left.  If not, the addition of the reverse safety pin is
causing me another issue.

Thanks to anyone who may have similar experience with the shifter
area.

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:56:54 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: A/C cycle question...

I had a couple more questions.  Could a bad or loose thermister in the
evaporator cause the condenser not to cycle?  The previous owner had
DeLorean one do a A/C service on the car about a year ago.  Besides
replacing the freon they replaced the thermister in the evaporator.  If I
had a bad thermister do I have to pull the whole A.C unit to replace it?  I
will find out from the shop tomorrow what the pressure in the system is.
-Alex

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:57:54 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Reproduction headlight switches - UPDATE

Come on everyone!  We only need 32 more switches ordered!  I've been
on the list for about a month or more.  We really need this!

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:28:19 -0400
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Disk

1 month late for me... sorry.

Michael Paine

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:33:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: A/C cycle question...

You're going to have to do better than this. I do not know of what
part you are reffering to when you say "thermistor" in reference to
the evaporator coil. Perhaps you mean "Orifice tube"? The 2 main
reasons for the A/C not to cycle is:
1 improper amount of refrigerent
2 defective or out-of-adjustment low pressure switch.
Of course many other things can cause the system to not cycle. Dirty
coils or not enough airflow can also affect the cycling. Replacing the
orifice tube is "a big deal". You have to remove the refrigerent.

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:43:18 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Nate,

Parking brake microswitch 100822, about twenty bucks.

  http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPage.asp?PageID=72

Resist the temptation to try to find crossover parts.  They are seldom
cheaper and are frequently problematic.  You will get the correct part
100% of the time from the DeLorean vendors.  At the very least, price out
a few key parts from the vendors, then go try to find crossovers.  Most of
the time you'll find they crossover is more expensive and/or incorrect.

Of course, I'm sure that Mr. Hervey would insist that there is no reason
to discard a perfectly good switch that is just dirty.  If it is not
physically broken, then you can probably just clean the contacts.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:37:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The short answer is "Yes", you take the old stuff out and put new
stuff in. The long answer is "NO". The automatic uses different fluid
and it has a filter inside. The automatic also has a separate chamber
for the differential which uses gear oil, not trans fluid. The
Workshop Manual explains all this in easy to read details.

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Newbies to Deloreans and the DML

Recently we have several (many) newcomers. It's great to see new,
interested owners looking for info on how to get their Delorean into
the best shape they can. For the others (old-timers) on the List we
get to see the same questions asked again and again. Repeating this
for the benifit of the newbies the "best" investment you can make is
the Workshop Manual. Many of the questions you have can be answered by
looking there first. At the very least you will know what you are
asking about and use the correct terms. Should be on the first list of
items you order from a vendor if the car didn't come with one (get 2
oil filters too). The other great resource is over at dmcnews.com. The
technical archive has a lot of valuable info from many owners and
their experience with the car. Great How-To's and other stuff FREE!
There are also all the old posts about the "unusual" problem you are
having with your car. Chances are someone already had a similar
problem and worked it out. This is not to say you can't ask for help,
you should just try to familurize yourself with what is already
available so you can try to help yourself. In the beginning of your
ownership of a Delorean we all go through the process of fixing a
"perfect" running car that the dreaded P.O. (previous owner) said was
"mint". Outside of the obvious damage from abuse, modifacations, and
rust the more common areas of concern are the cooling system,
electrical system, and fuel system. All old parts (and they are old
unless you KNOW they are recent) should be replaced in these systems.
All fluids should be changed. All filters should be changed. Nothing
mysterious here, just doing what it takes to make a 25 year old car
run reliably.