Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2820
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:26 Aug 2005 21:11:44 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. DMC -12 Model Name Origin
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

2. Re: Reproduction headlight switches - AZ-D UPDATE
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Hot Seat!
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: DMC -12 Model Name Origin
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: DMC -12 Model Name Origin
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

6. Re: Delorean toy at Wendy's Resturant per Stephen Clarke of BTTF
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Radio-control Delorean (not BTF)?
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>

8. Re: The 12 In DMC-12
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Time Machine Hot Start
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Need Grey Seat covers!
From: "contactjuggle" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:45:25 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: DMC -12 Model Name Origin

DMC-12
Many have heard the old story that the "12" in DMC-12 was supposed to
be the predicted initial sales price of $12,000 - finally started at
$25,000!

But I've also heard that the "12" was DMC's code for 1(st) car, 2
(seater/doors).

DMC-24
Somehow that makes more sense when we know that DMC's next model was
supposed to be named DMC-24 (based on Giugiaro's Medusa)- yeah, you
guessed it - 2(nd) car, 4 (seater/doors)

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:34:53 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Reproduction headlight switches - AZ-D UPDATE

FYI - In an effort the get this done the AZ-D (Arizona DeLorean Club)
has just placed an order for 3 of these switches on top of what our
members have already purchased! Any other club care to step up?

Randal "The 3M Guy"
AZ-D Prez
www.az-d.com

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:46:12 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Seat!

Paul -

There are 2 cars here in AZ that have been converted to cloth, AHHHH
very cool in the heat.  I did some research and found a polished auto
fabric that is a solid match to the leather color.

Have photo in our yahoo group (az-d) in the Randal folder take a look.

Let me know if you want come info.....

Randal "The 3M Guy"

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:54:25 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: RE: DMC -12 Model Name Origin

I had not heard that - but it does seem to make sense.

This does not however match up with the DMC-80, which was a bus:
(http://www.babbtechnology.com/Collect/DMC80/index.htm).

Michael

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:28:48 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Actually, you will not find the DeLorean sports car in official
documentation referred to as "DMC-12".  It is simply a "DeLorean" (or "De
Lorean" on some documents).

The original factory sticker and Owner's Handbook both call the car
"DELOREAN" and make no mention of DMC-12.  I'm assuming that the "DMC-12"
name was being used verbally inside the company and/or was on some
engineering documents, and got passed around.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695 "DeLorean Sports Car, by the DeLorean Motor Company"
Austin, Texas

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:38:15 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean toy at Wendy's Resturant per Stephen Clarke of BTTF

I did the drive-thru thing as well on Tuesday night, and recieved NO
response from the workers.  They were just doing their job and seemed
not to notice the open door or that it was a DeLorean.

In addition to that, I didn't get the BTTF toy.  I got some Wonka thing.

I don't even like fast-food.

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:00:45 -0000
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>
Subject: Radio-control Delorean (not BTF)?

Hello Everyone,
My son is looking for a radio-control version of
his Sunstar Delorean.  I've checked eBay repeatedly,
but everything I've seen is one of the BTTF cars.
Does anyone know where I can find a NON-BTTF radio
control Delorean (preferably 1:18 scale)?
Thanks,  CTDMC83

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:54 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: The 12 In DMC-12

For John DeLorean's own personal handwritten response to this
question, check out the link to Tamir's site.

http://www.entermyworld.com/johnz/quest.html

I think this is the definitive answer from the man who would know.

-Patrick C.
1880

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> Bacause, believe it or not...the car was SUPPOSED to sell for

>> compete with the
>> going price of the Corvette at the time.
>> As you know this didn't happen and the price not only doubled and on

top of

>> that
>> they dropped most of the features that originally was the concept of

the car

>> such as the airbags. The original name of the car was "DeLorean Safety
>> Vehicle".
>> This was a direct rip-off of the Bricklin SV-1, or "Safety Vehicle

One",

>> which was another
>> gullwinged car that was made completely out of acrylic and had a large
>> bumper in the front.
>>
>> You should really buy a book from http://www.delorean.com called

"Stainless

www.dmcnews.com

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:20:48 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Time Machine Hot Start

In reference to the Time Machine in BTTF not starting, The directors
have stated that this was not inspired by the actual starting
problems of the car.  They said that it was done only as a story
device.  When the car wont start after Marty's first trip, this is
so he will be on foot in town and not have to worry about what to do
with the car.  This also affords him an opprotunity to try and
convince 1955 Doc of his origin without physical proof.  At the end,
after the time jump to 1985, the car wont start as a sort of "time
paradox self protection"  If marty is able to get to Doc before the
first marty jumps back to 1955, there will be 2 DeLoreans and 2
Martys.  The powers that be stalled the car to avoid this
occurence.  The stall before the jump back to 1985 was put in to
increase the drama of making it to the clocktower wire in time.

The producers and directors were most admittedly frustrated with the
cars lack of power and tendency for the doors to sag in cold weather.

Just my 2 cents.

All info is from the directors commentary on the Trilogy DVD set.

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:25:05 -0000
From: "contactjuggle" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Need Grey Seat covers!

Does anyone have Grey seat covers for sale?  Looking for new or in
excellent condition.

Thanks!!
Brian W.