Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2825
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:29 Aug 2005 04:40:56 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "jedimasterglenn" <jedimasterglenn_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "Nikita" <inanna_rules_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Rear suspension bushings
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

12. RE: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

13. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. RE: Re: Rough running
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

15. Re: Roll over picture [was Question.....]
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: emergency brake pads cross ref?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

17. RE: Rough running
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. RE: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "delorean4fun" <delorean4fun_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: emergency brake pads cross ref?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

24. Re: New Owner with Questions
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

25. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:24:11 +0100
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Anyone got anything clever?

When I was at the International Motor Show last year in Birmingham England I
started to agree with everything that people told me about the car.....

A few of the best I heard where....

"Why did they build it out of Aluminium??"
"Wont it rust with no paint on it??"
"How can you drive it on the road, they only built the car for BTTF!"
"My dad worked at the factory and was given the very first car they painted,
we had it for years untill we scrapped it"
(Jesus I fell on the floor when I heard this one............
"It was the batman movie that really made the car" )

Alistair McCann
Belfast.

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:35:36 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just say I can't afford it.

-Joe O'Brien

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:44:06 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

#1: It's still on back order.
#2: I broke it over the head of the last guy who made that joke
#3: I broke it over the head of the last guy who made a cocaine comment.

Ok, ok, I dream about using the last two, but am much too polite.
#1 has some connotations to it, but I think most people miss them So it
needs a little work like: "it's back-ordered because the factory can't get
them made in time" or something.

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 4 Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:46:20 -0700 From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com> Subject: Re: Anyone got anything clever? I have made a list of some of the things people have said and my responses to them. Some of them are the usual semi-smart questions, but most are the kind you describe. Just when I think that I've heard it all, somebody drops a new one on me! BTW: I have a flux capacitor that I made and I always take it with me to shows just so I can say "It's right there!" Ha! "It's stainless steel?! Well, I'll be hangedů" *Yes indeed. 304 stainless. The same stuff in kitchens and restaurants.* "So how many Panteras are there in Arizona?" *I have no clue.* "So did you find your refund? You know, the cocaine?" *I hate that one...* "Are you rich?" *No, I'm Johnny.* "What kind of car is that?" *1981 DeLorean DMC-12.* "I thought they only made them for the movie." *They spared mine.* "Where do you put the bananas and beer?" *With the rest of the groceries in the trunk.* "Can you still get parts?" *Parts are easy to get, but they're not always easy to install.* "Why are all of them silver?" *Like the Model A, you can have any color you want, as long as it's silver.* "So what time did you just come from?" *Actually, you've asked me that twice today.* "How many were made?" *Close to 8600.* "Where's your flux capacitor?" *It's between the seats.* * * "What does DWC stand for?" *Car show attendee looking at my *DMC* center caps on one of my wheels.* "Is the company still in business?" *Only in spirit.* * * "They painted some cars at the factory, right?" *With the exception of the front and rear facias, no cars were painted at the factory.* "Is this a real DeLorean?!" *Shall I pinch you?* "Do you drive it on the streets?" *Well, I don't take it four-wheeling...* ** "Is that a car?" *Oh, COME ON people!* "How fast does it go?" *Well, the speedometer only goes to 85, but it's rated at 130mph.* "Another DeLorean? That's scary." *Yeah, whatever.* ** Johnny 5518 On 8/28/05, coreysmoo <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:46:41 -0000
From: "jedimasterglenn" <jedimasterglenn_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: New Owner with Questions

Hi,

I just bought a 1981 D (manual trans, VIN#5391) and have a few
questions:

1.  What updates should I have done?  How can I tell if any of them
have been done?

2.  The headliners need replacing.  Delorean.com offers two
headliner kits in grey (dark and light).  I think I have the dark
grey interior, but I never realized that there were 2 grey interior
options until now.  Any idea which color I should go with based on
the VIN?

3.  The doors won't stay aloft by themselves.  The previous owner
claimed that the torsion bars need adjusting and said that the
struts are fine.  Is this correct?  The doors open easily, but won't
stay open at all without holding them.

Thanks!
-Glenn

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:49:48 -0000
From: "Nikita" <inanna_rules_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yeah, I've got a retort for the typical question.

"Hey? Where's the Flux Capacitor?"

"I removed it." I tell them, "It was screwing up my gas
mileage."

Usually with a grin, and they get a chuckle and don't ask
anymore stupid questions. But, sometimes I answer with a straight
face if I'd been asked that a few times that day.  ;)  :D

Nikita

Vin #3117

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I was just wondering today...  We all get asked the same questions

and hear the same

>> BTTF jokes day in and day out.  And it seems that everyone who

gives me the old

>> classic "So, where's the flux capasitor?" joke thinks they are the

most clever person in

>> the world.  Like I've never heard it.  Anyways, does anyone have

any funny or witty

gets these types

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:52:10 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Here is mine,

"If you know where I can get one, let me know."

I used it on the Immigration guy when I brought Black Beauty back
into the US from Canada.  Shut him up real quick.   I wouldn't use
it on a kid though, for the kids you just need to explaind that it
was just a movie.

Bernie

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:06:30 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

Someone asked me about it the other day (they haven't even seen my car
yet) and I replied, "Mine didn't come with one, it was a ~limited
time~ offer" Hadn't planned on it, it just came out.

-Steelskin

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:07:31 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: LED's blowing fuses

doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

>>Josh,
>>
>>Something is shorting out.
>>
>>DO NOT use a larger fuse.  Find the short!
>>
>>Take out all the bulbs and see if the fuse blows. The replace them one at a
>>time.
>>
>>Fuse 12 has power on all the time so I'm not sure why it's blowing when you
>>press the headlight switch.
>>
>>I bet if you recheck your work and replace the LEDs one by one you'll find
>>the answer.
>>
>>D▓ & 6530 (w/2700)
>>

>>Message: 21
>>Date: Sun, 28 Aug  2005 05:08:56 -0000
>>From: "dmcjosh85"  <dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>>Subject: LED's blowing fuses
>>
>>This doesnt  sound right to me but every since I upgraded my DMC's door
>>bulbs to LEDs and  edge markers to LEDs my #12 10AMP fuse controlling
>>the door lighting gets  blown every time I press the headlight switch
>>into position 1 were it turns  on interior and front signal lights.
>>
>>anyone else have this problem ? or  any suggestions. clearly im going
>>to try uping the #12 slot to a 15 or 20 if  it keeps blowing everytime
>>the door lights are on with the side marker  lights.
>>
>>~ Josh Tidwell
>>04463

If it's only blowing fuses when you turn on the headlight switch then
the problem most likly lies with one of the edge markers (since you say
you replaced them and the door lights, and the marker lights are the
only ones you listed as changing that are switched through the headlight
switch). Remove those four LED's and start reinserting them one at a
time until you find the one that's causing the problem.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:11:03 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight problem

Dave,

Sounds like your friend might need one of my extra headlight switches,
once I get them.  They do meltdown because of all of the current
running through them.  You could try and figure out the problem, by
pulling the switch and using an ohmmeter to figure out if it's
sticking.  If the headlights turn off eventually, the switch is heating
up and not allowing the spring works to disconnect the circuit, until
it cools down.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Hi all a friend of mines D is having a problem with the headlights..

they wont

>> go off... If u push the switch once for the parking lights they come

on and twice

>> the headlights come on. but u push it to turn them off and the

headlights

>> remain on.. the parking and side lights go off like they should..

could the

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:21:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rear suspension bushings

You can buy the links with bushings for the same price - if I read the
web page correctly. I've been considering some new bushings and I'm
about to decide to just get the whole link - it says "Compl".

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get the rear
>> suspension bushings, Part #100154.  I may need 8 of them if DMCH is
>> correct and they cost $50 each!  That may be the cause of my rubbing
>> rear tires (that and possibly needing 2 new lower link assembly).

Any

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:11:09 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Lets see,

I got asked "Where's the Flux Capacitor?" Almost all the time.

My MOST common response was "I didn't get that option with this one.  It
comes with the Time Travel Package and that's really expensive."

I also got asked if I ever take it back in time?

"Yes, INFACT next time I go I'll be sure to call up your mom."

LOL  I'm just kidding.  However, that WOULD be pretty funny but I hope
whichever one of you says that to someone has a quick getaway planned!

Alot of people would just yell out "Marty!"  I usually replied "Doc!"

Of course there's the "Cocaine" thing.

I would actually give an educated response to that one on almost all
occasions because it really upset me that people were misinformed.  HOWEVER,
I had fun with it a few times and would ask them if I still had any white
powder on my nose.

Also my car broke down ONE time and I had to be towed home (Broken Bellcrank
Pivot Bolt.)  While waiting for the tow truck a Deputy rode up and asked if
everything was alright.  I replied,

"Yeah.  This happened to MARTY all the time remember?"

We had a good laugh and the tow truck arrived.  Even getting loaded up the
car got lots of compliments.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:15:41 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

OK, this one is a little rough around the edges but during the
Woodward Dream Cruise my brother got sick and tired of every third
person asking where the Flux Capacitor was.  After about the 10,000
inquiry, he told the lucky recipient that it was behind his McFly...

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:18:48 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Rough running

I agree on both counts.

Without knowing EVERYTHING you did it could be a number of things.

The Distributor setting is CRITICAL as David said.

You can check your adjustments with the right side Valve Cover off.  When
the car is SUPPOSIDLY lined up at TDC for #1 BOTH Rocker Arms rock (they
both have clearance.)  I also used an old mechanics trick and had a buddy
watch a LONG wooden pencil or similar object move up and down in the Spark
Plug hole as I turned the engine over.  We would precisely turn the engine
over until the pencil reached the top and for a split second remained before
moving back down.  This allowed for perfect Distributor Alignment as well as
being able to check all the valve clearances (which could be an issue for
you) and allowed us to double check the timing plate alignment.

A better way to ensure exact TDC is to remove the block plug under the
intake and drop a VERY LONG drill bit (the book says the size) into the hole
as you turn the engine over.  The engine will STOP when it reaches TDC for
number 1 and this alignment is EXACT.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:49:29 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Roll over picture [was Question.....]

Unless someone knows the actual details of the crash, I would guess this was
the result of loosing control in wet road, going sideways off the road into
the ditch and flipping in the dirt.
That's what it looks like to me.
If it were a tab or a steering issue, either the back wheel would be
completely
shoved into the wheel well and back, or the front wheel would be dislocated
and
facing outward.
The frame and driveline seem fine.
This looks like a driver error.
- VB

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:58:08 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: emergency brake pads cross ref?

Mintex aren't the only ones making them. Quite easy to get in the UK

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/newparts1.html#handbrakepads

I notice you do EBC pads. You should try their handbrake ones  - they're
superb compared to "regular" pads.

Martin

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:21:39 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Rough running

I have no vacum leaks on the engine (new lines all the

>>way around).

You're probably right about this but don't assume that simply because all
the parts are new that there are no vacuum leaks. I would confirm this by
hooking up a vacuum gauge. You should see at least 18" at idle and a lot of
PRVs pull 22".

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:28:04 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

coreysmoo wrote:

>>I was just wondering today...  We all get asked the same questions and hear the same
>>BTTF jokes day in and day out.  And it seems that everyone who gives me the old
>>classic "So, where's the flux capasitor?" joke thinks they are the most clever person in
>>the world.

We often have a large printout of an FAQ somewhere at the show. It's one
I wrote sometime ago and although I've changed it a bit for my own use
on our company page, the last question still remains the same. I point
at it and say "have a look at the last question on that list"

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/myths.html

Usually the smiles on the people who read that *before* asking the
question outweigh those who actually think it's funny to ask it out loud.

Alternatively "It's in for a service" or "I got stopped for speeding at
87mph so I removed the temptation" or simply looking blanky at them and
asking them what they mean is a really good ploy, if you're a good
enough actor!

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:30:18 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Another one has just occurred

"Do you know that question is asked so often that a recent post on the
DeLorean Mailing List on "what's the best answer to that question?"
resulted in over [insert total here five days from now] replies!"

I make it nine so far including this one

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:10:03 -0400
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

In answer to the "Where is the Flux Capacitor" question, I reply that
mine has a subwoofer instead.  I always say that between time travel and
a good sound system, you have to have good sound!

Michael

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:55:40 -0000
From: "delorean4fun" <delorean4fun_at_dml_yahoo.com>

"So, where's the flux capasitor?"

 "It broke down tomorrow so I have to wait to pick it up

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:57:59 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Martin.
Yes I saw that EBC is making them also and I wonder if they are making them
for Mintex. Now day's you never know who's making what for whom. The only
thing I don't like is 30 year old NOS parts on some items. The Mintex ( easy
for me to get over here are fresh new parts from England.
Most of the warehouses over here only bring over the higher moving items and
to bring over an item they may only sell 100 set's per year just isn't worth
it, they just normally don't want to mess with it. That's why I use the
Mintex, it's already established in the supply chain over here and they are
and were the OE.

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:13:08 -0500
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

My favorite:

   "Gee, I haven't heard that joke since next week."

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:06:45 -0500
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: New Owner with Questions

On Aug 28, 2005, at 2:46 PM, jedimasterglenn wrote:

>> 3.  The doors won't stay aloft by themselves.  The previous owner
>> claimed that the torsion bars need adjusting and said that the
>> struts are fine.  Is this correct?

Errr, no.  The torsion bars do need adjustment sometimes, but it's an
arduous (and possibly dangerous) procedure.  I need to replace my door
struts about every 2 years.

Get someone to hold up the door while you remove the strut (the door is
HEAVY).  Slowly lower the door, and it should stop just before reaching
the bottom, about 3-6 inches from the sill to the bottom edge of the
door.  If the latches hit and/or catch, you'll probably need a torsion
adjustment.

Over-torqued torsion bars can damage the car.  However, I have no idea
how one would over-torque these items, since getting them to the proper
torque requires a breaker bar, a long pipe attached to the breaker bar,
and a large person attached to the pipe.  And if you do it wrong,
you'll shatter your back window.

Try new struts first.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:03:01 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

People almost never ask me that, because 5 days after getting my
car, I installed the flux capacitor that I made while searching for
the right car to buy.  People usually see my flux before asking, and
those that don't, (as Videobob says), sh*t their pants when I point
to it and say "right there."

-Derek L
VIN 5302