Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2826
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:29 Aug 2005 23:59:45 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "Nikita" <inanna_rules_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Kit car D
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: DMC -12 Model Name Origin
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

4. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

5. Re: Blowing fuses with LEDs.
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

6. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: LED's blowing fuses
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

9. Re: Anyone got anything clever? Flux Capacitor....
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Not seeing the forest for the trees...(brakes)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. AMC 390
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

14. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: Kit car D
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:53:59 -0000
From: "Nikita" <inanna_rules_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone got anything clever?

I just thought of a situation that happened to me about a year ago.

     Some dumb kid (18-21. No offense to any of you in that age
group. Just this twit), was driving a 4-door BMW sedan. He had the
attitude that it was his car, yet it came across more that it was
really his dad's.

    Anyway, I had my 'girl' parked, with my door open, in a parking
lot of a GI Joe's Sporting Goods store. I was talking with a woman
who was very impressed with my 'girl', and was asking me how often I
get asked stupid questions by people about her.
     Just as I was telling her that it's not too bad (then heaving a
sigh and chuckling), this twit drives up with his girlfriend and
askes me, "Where did you buy that kitcar from?"
     I proceeded to tell him that it is an original from 1981, and
that there are NO kit cars of Deloreans made.
     He just looked at me, rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah. Right.
Whatever. But I happen to know that there are no more around. After
Delorean go busted for selling cocaine," he sneered, "They destroyed
all of the cars."
     "Really?" I said. "And what about the cars used in the Back to
the Future movies?"
     "Those were kitcars. They were built using a Chevy chassis and
engine." He replied matter-of-factly.
     "Well," I said, repressing a huge sigh, "Actually, none of the
cars were destroyed, there are no kitcar versions of this car,
almost 8,600 were produced, and John Delorean did not have ANYTHING
to do with cocaine. As a matter of fact, he was aquitted of those
charges...TWICE."
     "Yeah. Okay. Whatever." He replied in a rather bored tone. And
then drove off.

     The woman I was speaking too stood there watching him go, her
jaw open with a mixture of disbelief and disgust. "I don't believe
that guy. Obviously, "junior" there is an idiot and trying to prove
himself to that girl as he's driving 'daddy's car'."
     This time it was my turn to laugh.

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:10:47 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Kit car D

Yeah, I got asked once at a gas station if my D was a kit built out of a Fiero.  Like you,
it was some young kid, high school aged driving some riced out Ford Escort.  I hate
when people say that stuff almost as much as I hate when people "rice out" American
cars!
Corey

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:49:49 +0200
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>
Subject: Re: DMC -12 Model Name Origin

I don't know if you know but the name DMC-12 is also embossed on your
exhaust, right behind your rear bumper.

Mads de Bruin
Netherlands
#02010

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:16:39 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hello.

smile or laugh good naturedly, and act as if it's the first time I've
heard it.  I want that person to walk away with a favorable first
impression of Delorean owners.

Rick

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I was just wondering today...  We all get asked the same questions

and hear the same BTTF jokes day in and day out.

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:27:30 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Blowing fuses with LEDs.

Ouch !

Are you serious about the LED ? Blowing a fuse when installing
them the other direction ?

Hope nobody believed that !
A diode is like a valve. In one direction it can conduct current - and as a
side effect the LED's emmit light.

In the other direction they don't conduct - no current is flowing at all!

Regular LED's might not be able to handle 12V in the other direction, but
when they are designed for cars they should handle it.

Elvis & 6548

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:46:09 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Here are the ones I use:
Q: "Where's the flux capacitor?"
A: "Doc is working on it for me!"

Q: "What happens when you get to 88MPH?"
A: "You get a speeding ticket!"

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: LED's blowing fuses

Clearly??  Bad idea..  Good way to cook a perfectly
good car.

Find the problem, and fix it.  use the correct size
fuse.

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:29:56 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

I always tell them I loaned it to the Easter Bunny..

From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [DML] Anyone got anything clever?

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:54:26 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone got anything clever? Flux Capacitor....

Hence the reason why i made one for the back of my car and of course
as actions speak louder than words, when when asked '..so wheres
your flux capacitor mate?......i just smile and point to the parcel
shelf  :)

http://www.orgsites.com/tx/bozzzydmc/_pgg6.php3

The 'worse' comment i ever had from anyone was ....
"so now you have taken all of the paint off how do you stop it
rusting??"
"....well its made of stainless steel" i replied
"Yes but how do you stop it going rusty!!"

Oh well  :)

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Clever applys to the first one. After that frustraition sets in  ;-)

"Oh man, I haven't heard that one since tomorrow."

"Emmit Brown was not the previoius owner."

"Do you know what the word 'custom' means? Emmit Brown is the only one with that
modification."

"Don't see it do you? Then the chances are it's not the actual movie car."

"Where was it in the movie?"

"From looking at the outside of the car it should be obvious that this is NOT the
movie car"

-------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:01:08 -0000
   From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Anyone got anything clever?

I was just wondering today...  We all get asked the same questions and hear the same BTTF jokes day in and day out.

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:40:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Not seeing the forest for the trees...(brakes)

Another DML'er recently sent me this:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:18:50 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nikita" <inanna_rules_at_dml_y...> wrote:
<SNIP>

>>      "Yeah. Okay. Whatever." He replied in a rather bored tone. And
>> then drove off.

<SNIP>

I've had this happen to me a couple times, where people will defend
misinformation, simply because they do not like to be wrong. Rather
than fight them, I just always ask them, "Ok, and where did you hear
this?" I've never gotten a co-herent answer. People will always bumble
around and and somehow tell me that they heard it from someone a long
time ago, or something else like how everyone knows it as a matter of
fact. To which I always ask, "So, do you always just go around and
believe everything that people tell you?" That will usually embarass
them enough to the point where others will ignore them.

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:38:11 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: AMC 390

I talked to a guy on Saturday and he said he worked at the Kenosha,
Wisconsin AMC plant and he shipped 7 AMC 390 Crate engines to Delorean
around 1978-1979.

I explained they never used the 390's and he said he knew this because
they were only released with the 2.8PRV.

He was very educated in the Delorean but wanted to know if i knew why
they wanted 7 390 AMC crate engines. He thought maybe they were
prototype test engines because he heard there were several engines they
were thinking about before the settled on the PRV, i said i had no info
on that.

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:29:25 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> I just say I can't afford it.
>>

>> -Joe O'Brien

I always act SUPER surprised and play dumb when they ask about BTTF.
Like I have never seen or heard of the movie.  I then listen as they
attempt to explain that my car is actually the star of a hollywood
film.  Then I say "I always thought my car was a Bricklin" and show
them the ford engine  :-)

Matt
"the flux ca-what??"

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:26:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Kit car D

Asking, and stating as fact are not the same.

This past weekend, I was asked if it was a kit.  I
explained that it was not and that was that.