Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2829
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:31 Aug 2005 00:26:37 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Roll over picture [was Question.....]
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

2. Re: Re: Rough running
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

3. Checking In From Katrina
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Roll over picture [was Question.....]
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

5. Re: Delorean Parts
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

6. RE: valve adj
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

7. RE: 3 Month Storage
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

8. Re: 3 Month Storage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

9. RE: Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

10. RE: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

11. RE: Anybody got Anything Clever?
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Business Cards
From: "Robert Patz" <topgunster_at_dml_delorean.com>

13. Headlight Saver Switch Problem
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Roll over picture [was Question.....]
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Re: 3 Month Storage
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. Re: valve adj
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. Re: 508 or 510, what is the answer?! Vin 3323 Update
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Roll over picture...
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Kind of related to the car show questions.
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. AW: Blowing fuses with LEDs.
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

21. Re: Rough running
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

22. DMC from the bttf films on Craigslist?
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

23. [ADMIN] Please Trim Quotes
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

24. Re: Shifter Knob
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

25. Re: Re: Rough running
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:52:16 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Roll over picture [was Question.....]

There's an article in an old issue of DeLorean World written, I believe, by
Bill Johnson. He describes the scenario of having his TAB break at about 60
mph plus on the freeway. It almost catapulted him off the road and caused
him to cross several lanes uncontrolled. He was lucky enough to miss other
cars but lost a rear quarter panel and suffered some other suspension
damage. I remember seeing a DeLorean lose a trailing arm bolt on a rally
organized by the DOA in Las Vegas years back. Fortunately it happened just
as the driver stopped at a rest point. If assembled and maintained correctly
I agree that TAB's can be trouble free but don't call the concerns that have
been voiced here a witch hunt. The integrity of all suspension components,
TAB's included, are very important items that need to be maintained properly
for the safety of both the DeLorean drivers and the traffic surrounding
them.

Bruce Benson

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:46:22 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rough running

Man, I wish I new about this trick before.  It turns out that my timing was
right on.  I just dicovered a vacume leak between the intake manifold and
the engine block.  Fixed easily enough.

Thanks so much for the great help though.

Lingo #2034

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:50:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Checking In From Katrina

I won't make this long as this isn't really DeLorean
related.

I just wanted to let everyone know that #3299 and I
are ok.  Long story short, Pensacola was largely
spared from Katrina, and the car is already back in
its spot with its DMCH windshield cover keeping it
cool and safe.  What a last 48 hours this has
been..wow...

Anyways, #3299 and I from Pensacola - safe and sound.
Time to go sleepy (8:49am CST).

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:09:44 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Search the DML archives - there have been reports of failures while driving with
some nasty consequences.

The trailing arms locate the rear suspension.  The trailing arm bolts attach the
trailing arms to the underbody.  If the TAB fails, the rear wheel on that side
goes into immetiate severe toe out.  There aren't many drivers out there who
can handle that situation at speed.

-------------- Original message from "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:47:40 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Parts

I put some left over Delorean parts on ebay.   a clutch cylinder, fuel
pickup filter, lock solenoid,etc.

I will also be listing a crank shaft pulley next week.

BOB

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:07:21 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: valve adj

Dani,

I've done a few Valve Adjustments but only once to a hot engine.

I have the black bound book which is a compilation of a few different
manuals and it DOES list clearances for a hot engine but it was in a
different section I believe under the section for the procedure itself
although it could be in the front with the engine information.

If I can dig the book out later I'll post the definte answer if it hasn't
been posted already.

I will say though that for me, it was much easier to do the adjustments to a
completely cold engine.

Jeff in NC

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:36:32 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>
Subject: RE: 3 Month Storage

Todd:

Please contact me off list.  I tried e-mailing you but it did not go through.

Jay wizard(AT)tdgllc.com
New England

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:59:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I am a firm believer that when preparing a car for storage it should
be prepared for LONG-TERM storage. I see all the time a car put into
"short-term" storage to be forgotten and left for years. Pull the fuel
out and remove the batttery. Cover it and if possible jack it up onto
jackstands. Place some mothballs under the car, clean it, take out
anything that doesn't belong, and keeo insurance on it.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_r...> wrote:

>> It looks like I will be needing to store my Delorean for around

three months, is there any preparation I should be doing for a semi
long-term storage such as this.  I'm planning on filling up the gas
tank to reduce condensation buildup, removing the battery, parking on
a tarp to keep moisture off the underbody, covering the car with a
breathable car c

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:24:20 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust

Well, if you smell gas you have a leak.  I would recommend pressurizing the
system with the car off and geting underneath to check everywhere.  I'd
suspect it's also the reason the accumulator has to refill because it isn't
holding fuel like it should.

You know I restored the engine for a gentleman here in NC who had 3 feet of
flames trailing behind his car while driving on the highway!!  No joke
either.  When he got home his buddy jumped out of his car and told him to
get out of the car and the taillights were glowing red like on a rocket.
That's when the car came to me after that.  The gnetleman also stated he had
almost no power and the car would not accelerate past 55 MPH.

We found several faults that may have contributed to the problem.  A valve
adjustment was necessary and he also had a non-Delorean Fuel Distributor.
His CO was so rich the smell from the tailpipes while running burned your
eyes and face and caused you to leave the shop.  I think the best theory for
the flames igniting was fuel filling up in the Cat and being ignited by the
extreme heat.  However, you don't have a Cat as you stated so it could be a
number of things.  I'd definitely do a Valve Adjustment on your car and make
sure to trace the possible fuel leak ASAP.

Oh, we also did a full tune-up on the car here.  The plugs were pretty bad
especially on a few cylinders which might have contributed to the problem if
they were not firing well and dumping excess fuel.

We replaced the entire fuel system front to back minus the metal lines under
the car.

After all the work the car started first crank and ran like a champ.  He can
now drive it back and forth worry free.  I supect your car may have similar
causes for the symptoms.  Let us know what you find out!!

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:14:04 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER

When I first went to try to start my car up after rebuilding the fuel
system, this was the one hose that was leaking, so I went and bought the
one on the cross reference list from Napa.  I wasn't a perfect fit but
it was satisfactory.

I then ordered a complete hose kit from one of the vendors, and the new
hose was a much worse fit - after half an hour of fiddling with it I
gave up and re-installed the Napa one.  Its not perfect, but seems to
fit a lot better.

Tom

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:51:55 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Anybody got Anything Clever?

Well, I've had my car for just over a year and I can count on two
hands the number of times I have been asked, "Where's the flux
capacitor?"  I just smile and have a laugh.

I've categorized the lookers into three types of people and I know
we've all met them.  The "Where's the flux capacitor?" people who
ask it just to be funny and stupid, they know it really doesn't have
one.  There are the respectful people who are truly interested in
the car and your reason for owning it.  Then there are the Know-it-
alls who have never owned a car or done any research into it but
automatically presume to tell US about our cars.  Those are the most
annoying.

Well to say the least the NO. 1 question I get asked is "Is that a
REAL Delorean?!"  To which I reply, "No.  It's a Honda Civic I
tricked out to look like a Delorean.  The hardest part was putting
the engine in back and the doors."

Japheth Deaux
VIN: 1223

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:18:13 -0000
From: "Robert Patz" <topgunster_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Business Cards

Hi Richard,
   What I did is, I took a picture of my D and scanned it into the
computer. I then inserted it into a business card set-up. I use card
stock to print on and then flip it to print info on the other side.

Bob
5144

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Richard Rosales <calif93030_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Does anyone know where I can find a company that makes business

cards with the Delorean symbol on them?  I think it would be nice to
be able to pass them out when you go to Delorean functions and meet
new people. Thanks for the help!

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Headlight Saver Switch Problem

I went to install the headlight saver switch today and
ran into a problem.  The instuctions say to tap into
the "always hot" green/violet stripe wire for the
brake pedal switch.  I did this but as it turns out on
my car none of the 3 wires going to the brake pedal
switch are always hot.  The 2 solid green wires
terminating at the left side of the pedal switch is
only hot when the key is in the ON position.  Is this
normal?

When I push in on the brake with the key out or in the
off position I get no brake light coming on.  I
thought that this should have power at all times and
that the brake pedal should always activate the
lights.

The result of this was the saver switch did not
funtion the running lights or the parking lights when
the headlight switch was in the 1st position or the
2nd position as it was not getting any power.  In the
2nd position I was getting headlights only.   The new
relay was tapped into the red/green wire coming out of
the headlight switch per the instructions.

Can I tap something else to grab power for the
headlight switch saver or do I have a bigger issue
with no power at all times to the brake pedal switch?

I removed the saver switch and everything is
funtioning as it was (except for no brake light with
key in off position and brake pedal pushed in)

I know some of you will say "call John"...I did and he
suggested checking the other wires going to the brake
pedal for power as some cars are different.  He was
not able to recall any of the other wiring colors off
hand  in this area.   He said he would have to go into
a car next weekend and try to reconstruct what his
instructions called out for if I wanted to get more
in-depth help  He created this a year ago and does not
recall all the wiring colors and other possible
choices to try and tap into.

So, before I call John back. I thought I would ask the
list.  I'd rather not waste John's time if someone
else has a clearer memory of the wiring in this area
and can give me some feedback that I can use.

Thanks

Tom

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:57:25 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I probably ought to check in on this one.

Two years after the picture was posted on dmcnew.com, I had the
privilege of doing the final disassembly of this very car. (Bernie M
is now driving around on most of interior  and fuel system parts from
it!).

The trailing arm bolts on that car were not only intact, but were
relatively straight. I agree that the root cause of the accident was
environmental/driver-induced - it happened in very heavy rain on an
interstate highway. The impact was into the dirt in the median at
approximatly the right front corner of the suspension, flipping the
car. It then rejoined the highway, at speed, in an inverted position,
actually grinding a hole in the stainless. The frame was twisted and
the front section was snapped off on one side. The driver walked away
from it once he figured out how to get out.

You can see many more photos of this car in the two issues of
Gullwing Magazine in the article series "Crash and Burn".

I'll update the web page.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean"

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:00:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

If you are 100% sure it's only 3 months:

Drain the tank, or at least get it as low as you can. I'm not a fan
of a full tank on a stored DeLorean - it seems to cause more problems
than it solves. Condensation is not a big deal with a plastic gas
tank, and old gas tends to eat up the rubber parts. Plus - when you
re-start the car you have an entire tank of old gas to burn up.

Do an oil change.

Unhook the battery, or better, remove it and put it on a battery
tender.

Cover it.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_r...> wrote:

>> It looks like I will be needing to store my Delorean for around

three months, is there any preparation I should be doing for a semi
long-term storage such as this.  I'm planning on filling up the gas
tank to reduce condensation buildup, removing the battery, parking on
a tarp to keep moisture off the underbody, covering the car with a
breathable car cover, and heavily using good leather conditioner on
the leather areas of the seats.  I would also like to place a
desiccant inside to reduce moisture, but am not sure where to find
one, any ideas?  Also note the car will be in a garage the entire
time.  Does this sound like enough preparation?  Also, is there
anything I should know about firing the car up when I get back?
Other than squirting some oil in the cylinders.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:19:04 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Why-because I've already checked them cold and they're fine yet I
still have a loud knock. So I wanted to check them hot to see if any
of the values changed from the heating of the parts, or if they're
all relatively the same. It's a matter of checking them to diagnose
the knock, not really adjusting them at this point. -----Dani B.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:21:21 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 508 or 510, what is the answer?! Vin 3323 Update

Hey John,

Thanks for the advice, but should I go with the later accumulator
(Your 25 or 30 dollar one & just buy a new hose for that one side) as
well as a new orifice tube?  (Orifice tubes are cheap so that's no
problem lol)  Or is there more to converting the setup???

So does the accumulator simply need to be replaced since it was
exposed to air or because like you said (referring to the oil
analogy) it's just a good thing to do now?  The car only has 25k
miles on it before the system was evacuated, but when the engine
blew, the mechanics apparently trashed everything (AC Compressor,
Starter, entire block with all EFI etc).  Sure would have saved me
some money.....

Is it possible to get a used SD510 compressor, new accumulator &
orifice tube?  Anyone got one?  John?

I'm spreading mighty thin on the good ol' cashola so I'm really
trying to save a little while I'm at it.

Thanks,

Brandon

>> Brandon,
>> The car came with the 510, and due to the heat I would go back with

it.

>> Always replace the accumulator and orifice when tearing down the ac

system.

>> If you don't it's like changing the oil without changing the

filter. Also,

>> factories won't warranty a new compressor with out replacing the 2.
>> If your going back with used compressor, be sure to evac the

system, clean

>> out the lines and recharge.
>> John Hervey
>> www.specialtauto.com

Behalf Of

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:26:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Roll over picture...

Matt,
If you look here http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/Bauerle_Brackets.html (scroll all
the way to the bottom) you will see an accident directly related to the tabs.

Last year a tab broke on Rich Actui's car while he was driving at about 30mph.
Jerked the snot out of his back. If traveling at highway speeds it would have
been much worse (for both Rich & the car).

I don't know if these qualify as "Catastrophic" but certainly directly related to
the tabs.

Shannon Y
16506

--------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Kind of related to the car show questions.

I have two of those and they're pretty neat.  They were actually made by Zee Toys, but they were released in severall versions.  One was in the Pace Setters series, another was in the Wind Racers series, and I think there were a few others.  Anyway though, I could be wrong, but I don't think Zee Toys is still in business.

I may be totally off on this, but I was sort of thinking that Maisto/Kid Connections is a descendent from Zee Toys.  Anyone know if this is true?  If it is, then Maisto is probably where we would have to get them from.  Maisto is very cheap anyway (cheap in price not quality) normaly only $0.50 per car.

Chuck McKnight

alex morgan <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
I was reading on the prowler owners association website that many of the
owners purchase diecast prowler toys (hot wheel type cars) for about .75
cents in bulk. When kids come up and are genuinley interested in the car at
car shows, gas stations etc. they educate them and give the child the toy.
I thought this was a great way of getting younger kids excited about
deloreans and also spreading a positive image. It would be great if we
delorean owners could get our hands on some diecast toys for about .75 cents

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:44:55 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Blowing fuses with LEDs.

Well, Martin has already replied to it better than I could do
it with my genglish. But the magic word is "resistor" or "current
source" already integrated in the LED.
The installation of those LED's is a nobrainer. Sold on ebay for
like nothing (but still way too expensive) - this stuff needs to
be bulletproof.
But for regular LED's you're absolutely right. Well, still you need the
resistor and therefore you would never blow a fuse...

Elvis

A diode that has been reversed biased (hooked up backwards) by a voltage
higher than it's peak reverse voltage (PRV) reading will short, (turn into a
virtual piece of wire) and henceforth will blow fuses no matter which
direction you hook it up in afterwards.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:03:09 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Rough running

In a message dated 8/28/2005 6:34:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
I would confirm this by
hooking up a vacuum gauge. You should see at least 18" at idle and a lot of
PRVs pull 22".>>

Where would you place it for the test?
Wayne

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:42:57 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: DMC from the bttf films on Craigslist?

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/92520438.html

I wonder if this is legit.....

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:44:33 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: [ADMIN] Please Trim Quotes

I've notice that many/most list members are now counting on the
moderators to trim the requotes as they hit "reply" to messages. This
is actually a pain in the neck (or lower!). Please, at least trim all
the Yahoo stuff off the bottom, and as much of the prior thread as you
can while leaving enough for some continuity.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:44:35 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Shifter Knob

Hi

Go to:
http://www.deloreana.com/7101.html
and then click on Shifter Ball. It is made out solid block of 304 stainless
steel. I decided to make it polished instead of brushed because it looks
better in my opinion and it is much nicer to the touch. The shifter had a
DMC logo engraved by laser. I only have a few of them left.

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl -> www.deloreana.com
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:58:35 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Glad we could help.  You learn the car more and more as the years go by.
What to watch for and what to listen for.

Let us know how it all goes!!

Jeff in NC