Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2830
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:31 Aug 2005 04:24:27 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Headlight Saver Switch Problem
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

2. Re: valve adj
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Re: 3 Month Storage
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: valve adj
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

5. Re: DMC -12 Model Name Origin
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

6. Re: Shifter Knob
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

7. Re: DMC from the bttf films on Craigslist?
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: DMC from the bttf films on Craigslist?
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. RE: Shifter Knob
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: DMC from the bttf films on Craigslist?
From: "outatime12" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Headlight Saver Switch Problem
From: "outatime81" <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

13. 6th Annual MN DeLorean Apple Run
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

14. Re: 3 Month Storage
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: Roll over picture...
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: DMC from the bttf films on Craigslist?
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: [ADMIN] Please Trim Quotes
From: "Robert Ensfield" <ensfield_at_dml_chartermi.net>

19. RE: Re: 3 Month Storage
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. Re: valve adj
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

21. Re: Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

22. RE: 508 or 510, what is the answer?! Vin 3323 Update
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. RE: Headlight Saver Switch Problem
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. Re: Re: Rough running
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

25. To the DML - Hurricane Katrina
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:04:39 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight Saver Switch Problem

Tom,

Why is the relay harness plugging into the brake light switch??  I don't
think I'd want to mess with anything that could take out my brake lights.
There is a 12V continuous at the headlight switch already (brown/blue wire).
See my article in volume 3, issue 1 of Gullwing magazine for complete
instructions.

Also, there are two different wiring configurations for the brake lights in
early vs. late DeLoreans, so that could be causing some of the confusion.
Some of them are wired through the ignition switch and some are not.

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:14:59 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: valve adj

You know I had an interesting find on two cars I did where there was
clearance with the number 4 cylinder on the wrong strokes but then clearance
on the right stroke.  I adjusted to specs and the cars ran great but had a
little "tick" noise from that side.  Most DeLoreans I've heard tick just a
bit less Louie Goldens car which is currently for sale I might add.  His
valve train was completely redone by Don Steger back in the late 90's.  Not
sure what Don did but this DeLorean is the smoothest and QUIETEST running I
have ever heard to date.  It sounds like a new Chrysler engine how smooth it
is.

I will add that a warm adjustment must be done relatively quick because as
the car rapidly cools from the heat escaping with the covers off the
clearances change.  You'll check one valve and 10 minutes later the gauge is
too tight on the same one.  I did find that cold settings were the best
partly because it's alot easier to work on.  If you do the adjustments for
the warm settings and the car has cooled enough for clearances to change you
could end up with clearances being way off and very noisy.

A "muscle car" tuner once told me that an easy way he did a vlave adjustment
was to turn it down until there was just BARELY clearance.  I tried this on
my former car once.  It didn't idle as smoothly as I woulda liked but she
was real quiet and had some power!!  I thought it was a nice trick although
I redid it to specs and the car ran great.

If you've got a loud "knock" you may have a problem.

If you have a mild "tick" you're probably fine.  I'd say 4 of the 7 cars
here in NC "tick" a little, some more than others (except Louie G's...no
sound at all.)  The ticking to me is little more than a mild annoyance but
it can be remedied by a few solutions:

Adjust Valves inspect for worn components.

Check replace Manifold Gaskets.

Use a better brand of gasoline.

Those are just a few suggestions off the top of my head.

Jeff in NC

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:21:25 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 3 Month Storage

Todd,

Check out www.drypak.com for your dessicant, but if you use one
someone will have to dry it out occasionally.  Also DO NOT PUT
MOTHBALLS in the car. I'm not sure if I will ever get the smell out
of mine.  It has gone down some, but wow, you can still smell it
from 20 feet away.  Don't fill the tank, just put some dry gas/fuel
stabilzer in run it to get the stabilizer distributed, disconnect
the battery, close it and cover it.  If you think it could be longer
you may want to consider putting it up on jackstands, to unload the
suspension.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_r...> wrote:

>> It looks like I will be needing to store my Delorean for around

three months, is there any preparation I should be doing for a semi
long-term storage such as this.  I'm planning on filling up the gas
tank to reduce condensation buildup, removing the battery, parking
on a tarp to keep moisture off the underbody, covering the car with
a breathable car cover, and heavily using good leather conditioner
on the leather areas of the seats.  I would also like to place a
desiccant inside to reduce moisture, but am not sure where to find
one, any ideas?  Also note the car will be in a garage the entire
time.  Does this sound like enough preparation?  Also, is there
anything I should know about firing the car up when I get back?
Other than squirting some oil in the cylinders.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:23:15 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Have you checked your bottom end bearings?  They will knock if they are
failing.

-------------- Original message from "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>: --------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:38:53 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: DMC -12 Model Name Origin

That makes good sense, but I don't think it is true.  I once talked to John
and he said the DMC-12 was just the original designation, as they expected
to sell it for 12K,  but costs kept rising, however by that time the DMC-12
indicator was used throughout their design work and manufacture so rather
than try to change it, they just left it alone.  The only other number he
mentioned to me was the future bus which he said would be DMC-80.
    Murray
    Vin:  05962 Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:29:09 +0100
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Shifter Knob

I bought a few things from these guys.... Including a shifter ball

They are in Germany but they accept paypal and their stuff is great.

http://www.delorean-steel-products.com/frmsetel.html

Alistair McCann
Belfast.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:43:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMC from the bttf films on Craigslist?

I doubt it.  The guy thinks Lucas did BTTF.

sweitzel_2000 <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com> wrote:http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/92520438.html

I wonder if this is legit.....

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:48:54 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

Found a large cache of original parts in Arizona?! Geeeez...I wish I had
known about that one...
 Johnny
5518 (In AZ)

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:20:59 -0400
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

Awesome!  Will have to add on of these to my wish list!

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:33:06 -0000
From: "outatime12" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

 Scam... when I lived in San Fran and visited ILM way up north of
there, they never had a real DeLorean at their site.  They took REF
from the BTTF car at Universal for the models thats all.

THE AD SAID: "In case you may be concerned about parts for the future,
don't. Original parts (a large cache of original parts were found in
Arizona and not dumped into the Irish Sea)"

DMC parts from Ireland in AZ?? Who is he kidding!!

Charlie

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:00:49 -0000
From: "outatime81" <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Jake,

Thanks for the info.  I was just following instructions that came with
the saver switch from John H.  I'm totally and unashamedly ignorant of
what is best in this area.  Since none of my brake wires are always
hot I decided to just pull this thing out and not install it until I
got some clearer advise.

I will read through this issue of GullWing.  Sounds like it will be
more helpful for my cars particular idiosyncracy than the instructions
that were supplied.  I'm sure many have had no issues with
installation of these and that certain cars are different.  I would
advise those buying it to first use a meter to check out the wiring
power before cutting up your harness like I did.  If I had done this
first I could have avoided the "Frankenstein" hacking of this area
that it is now with installing it and then taking it out.

Thanks   Tom

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:06:40 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER

(moderators note: Harold, Klaus sent me a half dozen sets of these silicon hoses he had specially made that we have put on various club members D's. And you are correct, they are the best fitting hoses I have ever seen, and being silicon, they should last a very long time. I'd recommend them to anyone. Marty, this weeks moderator)

I'm going to try these hoses

http://www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/hoses/

One of the Mid States members has these on his car and they appear
to be a perfect fit. A little pricy but will probably last an easy
ten years.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_b...>
wrote:

>> Hi All
>> Does anyone have this part that actually fits properly??  :)  This

is the large drivers side hose that comes off the top of the water
pump and offsets around the ac belt.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:20:01 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: 6th Annual MN DeLorean Apple Run

Come one, come all to the 6th annual MN DeLorean Apple run, Sunday,
September 18th, from 1:00 to 5:00. My long range forecast is as
usual, sunny, warm and just plain great.

We'll be gathering at Deer Lake Orchard (www.deerlakeorchard.com  Includes
driving directions ... don't plan on coming up from Montrose on Co Rd 12.
It is closed) located just SW of Buffalo. Afterwards you can join us at
dinner at
a to be determined location.

This year we are meeting a week later than usual per your
suggestion. Hopefully this will help with the kitchen passes.

Try to encourage a new DeLorean owner to attend and help make this
the largest gathering to date.

Till then,
Nick Kemp

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:35:46 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

For just 3 months, in addition to what you are already going to do,
I would put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel, run the car for a
little while at least with the MMO in the fuel; you should be able
to start the car up without any special prep. I'm not sure a
completely full fuel tank is a good idea but over 3/4 I would agree
with. Your problem is going to be "flat spotting" the tires. They
need to be rolled off the setting spot at least every 30 days or
removed from the car or the car raised off the ground - or just get
some new tires if the flat spots turn out to be a bother.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:13:15 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Roll over picture...

Thanks!
I just wanted to make sure that an accident that was not caused by
failing TABs was not attributed to it.  I do realize that they (the
TABs) are some thing to be concerned with, but I don't want everyone
thinking this failure is more common than it actually is.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...>

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/Bauerle_Brackets.html (scroll all

>> the way to the bottom) you will see an accident directly related

to the tabs.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:20:03 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Well... ti says the car was used by Lucas for the BTTF movies.

Lucas did not make the bttf movies, Spielberg produced and Zemeckis
Directed.  I would say this is definitely not a BTTF prop.  Perhaps
they mean that this model was used in the films

Matt #16076

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:22:14 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My new one didn't fit either.  I trimmed about 3 inches off of the
top side and about an inch off the bottom.  This made it fit with
ALOT of forcing, but it holds and does not leak.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:42:33 -0400
From: "Robert Ensfield" <ensfield_at_dml_chartermi.net>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Please Trim Quotes

How about a brief summary on how to do that?

  Thanks,
 Bob

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:00:51 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: 3 Month Storage

Have you ever noticed how long a small airplane can sit in storage and not
have any fuel problems.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:11:49 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Rod bearings 'hammer', mine is definitly a valve knock. As far as #4
valves, my findings are the #4 exhaust valve has clearance no matter
what stoke it is as long as it's #1 TDC 0 deg. I think it may even
have clearance on #6 TDC mark O deg. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:07:04 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust

Check out the valves today-my #6 intake tappet loosened so had too
much clearance, once I adjusted that the loud knock went away. While
I don't have 3 ft [thank god] it was a good 6 inches on a good fire.
My fuel distributor is just purchased from SpecialTAuto. The last
one started making loud shrieking and suddenly raw gas was POURING
out the tail pipe. Once I got the new one on it took half an hour
just to burn all the fuel soaked in the muffler out-looked like my
old 66 thunderbird with a half blown 390-smoke everywhere.
Nonetheless, I know the FD is good to go. To help in my future
problems I got an order in with JC Whitney for a Bosch CIS K-Jet
fuel test kit, only 56 bucks! I'm very hesitant with touching the CO
now-now that my FV is running tip-top; and the exhaust smells fine
with no color. I was under the car today after pressurizing the
system, I looked all over the accumulator and lines there is nothing
leaking, looked at the fuel filter and that isn't leaking. As I
mentioned the pump check valve is new and the boot and lines aren't
leaking so I'm a bit baffled now. There is definitely a smell of
fuel around it though, tomorrow I'll jump the pump while looking. I
did the tune up weeks ago, and pulled #1 & #6 plugs today to
determine TDC and stroke; +4s look like number 3 on John Hervey's
spark plug Analysis chart-carbon deposits. After those 2, I checked
them all and they're all like this. I'll check timing again tomorrow
just for kicks. As is now, car sounds good with good power so I'm
happy. Just a few more things to do before [I hope] it's back to
running like it should. Thanks for the posts guys! -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:15:09 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: 508 or 510, what is the answer?! Vin 3323 Update

Are you converting from R12 to R134A. Are you going to keep the car.

From: brandelorean
Subject: Re: [DML] 508 or 510, what is the answer?! Vin 3323 Update

Hey John,

Thanks for the advice, but should I go with the later accumulator
(Your 25 or 30 dollar one & just buy a new hose for that one side) as
well as a new orifice tube?  (Orifice tubes are cheap so that's no
problem lol)  Or is there more to converting the setup???

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:25:40 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Tom, As I said over the phone: The green purple wire coming from #18 fuse is
hot all the time direct from the battery thru the alternator connection and
starter solenoid.  If the colors have been changed in your car then you
would have to use a DMM to see which one is hot. That would be the power
source unless you want to tap off another place or run a wire. Then if the
other connections are secure and correct it works fine.

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:43:55 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rough running

"Let us know how it all goes!!

Jeff in NC"

You bet I will.   I have posted some pics of my (didn't mean to be a project
car, but is) work on the DMC Help web page,
http://dmchelp.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/460108901/m/434100062 .
Just waiting on a throttle cable right now.  Speaking of which, has anybody
on here ever replaced a throttle cable before?  If so, are there some tricks
I could benifit from.

Thanks,
Lingo #2034

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:35:08 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: To the DML - Hurricane Katrina

Off topic but very important.

Hurricane Katrina, has devistated our country, no other country in
the world will help us, we are on our own.  So it is up to us,
please help, make a donation to your favorite charity that will help
with the disaster relief.  I have donaoted $500 to the Red Cross,
the survieours down there need all of our help.  And we have many
owners in the area, hopefully all are well, but I don't think we
will know for a while.

All, please do what you can.  Even $5 helps.  It is a disaster
beyond belief.  I have a co-worker stuck down there, I know he is
all right, but who knows when he will get out.

Thanks and Regards to all,

Bernie Manderville