Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2831
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:31 Aug 2005 22:09:22 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Headlight Saver Switch Problem
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Window fogging up in rain...solutions?
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

3. New Owner, few questions
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Re: Rough running
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

5. AW: silicone waterhoses
From: ks_at_dml_steinerklaus.de

6. Headlight Saver
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: [ADMIN] Please Trim Quotes
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: Blowing fuses with LEDs.
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: [ADMIN] Please Trim Quotes
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

11. Re: Re: Rough running/Throttle Cable Replacement
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Scott Mueller in Lower Alabama are you OK?
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Re: 3 Month Storage
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

14. Re: To the DML - Hurricane Katrina
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: 3 Month Storage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. RE: Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Fuel vapor lock
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

18. Re: Window fogging up in rain...solutions?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

19. Re: Re: Rough running (throttle cable)
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:52:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Headlight Saver Switch Problem

Tom, If you can read a diagram or not check and you will notice that the
voltage on fuse #18 is always hot on both sides of the fuse without the key
on. This is the power wire ( unless yours is wired different ) that powers
the brake light switch and that is where the power comes from.
As I told you there are over 50+ of them in the field and working fine. The
problem is maybe your color coding different. That I can't tell. But if you
measure the voltage you can test out the wires. If the brake lights come on
when you step on the brake pedal, then there is power going to the switch.

From:outatime81
Subject: Re: [DML] Headlight Saver Switch Problem

Jake,

Thanks for the info.  I was just following instructions that came with
the saver switch from John H.  I'm totally and unashamedly ignorant of
what is best in this area.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:31:10 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Window fogging up in rain...solutions?

Hey all,

Today was the first day I drove the D in heavy rain at night, as Katrina has started to hit us in
the north east. The car had its windows fogged before I even got started driving, so bad that I
had to take off a sock and wipe down the percipitation on the inside. I had the wipers on
high, and the vent on defrost on blower 3, but the window was still fogged from what
appeared to be the outside (or in the middle?) as well as on the inside. The same was true for
the door glass and toll booth windows also.

Is there something else I should have done to clear this up, as it was very hard on visibility,
and created an awful glare with oncoming traffic? Is there some sort of product I can use to
clean up a windshield that has been sitting stored for several years? I was planning on putting
rain-x on the windshield and door glass to help the excess water run off, but that would not
solve the inside problem. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

-Derek

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:22:37 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New Owner, few questions

Well after 9 years as a member of the DML I finally became an owner. I
purchased vin 4160 from DMC Texas last week. It is a very clean
DeLorean with 3000 original miles. I have two questions to throw out
to the group in the hope I dont have to scratch my head anymore...

First I noticed that both windows sometimes go down but wont go up.
It's only after I jiggle the switch or rapidly press it will it
function. Is this as simple as a dirty switch contact?

Second, when the car is idle I notice the rpm's go up and down about
300 revolutions making a fluctuating engine rev sound as if I was
tapping on the gas pedal. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

-Danny
4160
Glenwood Landing, NY

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:19:51 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Re: Rough running

What do you wanna replace ? the wire itself or the complete part with hose ?

The wire itself can be changed in a few minutes, you won't need a
description for that.
But the complete thing takes some more time and some luck to get it running
very smoothly/easy. If not needed I wouldn't go that way.

The wire itself can be bought in any bicycle shop around the corner.

Elvis

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:24:08 +0200
From: ks_at_dml_steinerklaus.de
Subject: AW: silicone waterhoses

My last 4 sets are on www.ebay.com this week, the silicone waterhoses are now offered by

http://www.deloman.com/

They will be in the shop beginning next week.

Klaus & 05980
Germany

>>Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:06:40 -0000
>>Subject: Re: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER
>>
>>I'm going to try these hoses
>>One of the Mid States members has these on his car and they appear

to be a perfect fit. A little pricy but will probably last an easy ten years.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:30:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Headlight Saver

John,

In my particular case this green/purple wire is not hot all the time.  I used a meter to check it out.  It is only hot when the key is in the "on" position.  Therefore with the car off and no key position #1 or #2  I got no parking lights, running lights or A/C panel lights.  Actually these did not work even with the car running.

In looking at the GULLWING mag installation of this saver switch I find that there is a huge difference between the two installations.

Perhaps we could get some idea of the theory behind both versions?  I'm now very curious as to why there would be two different versions if it is supposed to do the same thing?

 Message: 23
   Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:25:40 -0500
   From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

John Wrote:
Tom, As I said over the phone: The green purple wire coming from #18
fuse is hot all the time direct from the battery thru the alternator connection and starter solenoid.  If the colors have been changed in your car then you would have to use a DMM to see which one is hot. That would be the power source unless you want to tap off another place or run a wire. Then if the other connections are secure and correct it works fine.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:34:19 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Please Trim Quotes

>> How about a brief summary on how to do that?

Sure...
Notice I just deleted everything except for your question? I held down the
shift button while I used the arrow keys to scroll. I selected what I wanted
to delete up to your question and hit the delete key.
Then I held down the shift key from the end of your question and hit CTL and
End key to select to the end of the message, and hit delete to delete all
that.
All that is left is white space to type in and your question that I want to
respond to.
This should work in any OS and any email program, I'm even using my
web-based gmail account.
HTH (hope that helps)
-Kevin

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:08:53 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Blowing fuses with LEDs.

Agreed.

-Joe

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:38:30 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Part #108675 - HOSE,WATER

Hi Martin

No its fitted and it doesnt matter which of the 2 holes i bolt it to
the hose still rubs on the rear fascia, There has to be a better made
hose rather than bodging in bits of rubber etc behind it to stop it
rubbing?  :)

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:54:29 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

When you reply, most mail editors (web and application) put a copy
of the note you are responding to in your reply.  Use your editor to
trim it down.

-------------- Original message from "Robert Ensfield" <ensfield_at_dml_chartermi.net>: --------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:24:17 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rough running/Throttle Cable Replacement

Robert,

I have usually found that the throttle cable sheathing is in good shape and
the metal cable is the only thing needing replacement.  Here's the trick I
used.  I went to Lowes and bought the same size cable with about 6 inches
extra and had a small ball welded onto the end of it.

Grease the new cable.  Just a good light film will do.

I removed the old cable and threaded the new cable through.

The whole process took about 5 minutes or so.

Super easy and then once you have the cable connected trim the excess and
solder the end of it to prevent fraying.

Jeff in NC

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:56:03 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Scott Mueller in Lower Alabama are you OK?

Hey Scott Mueller and Farrar:

Checking in with you to see how you are doing after Katrina. Can you give  us
an update and let us know you & your family are well?

Sincerely Yours,
Mike Pack

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:33:56 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: 3 Month Storage

A better alternative is to use BOUNCE, the fabric softener sheets you throw
in the clothes drier. That's what RV shops recomend. Rodents don't like them
and they don't have a lingering smell like moth balls.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:40:45 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: To the DML - Hurricane Katrina

Even some blood (if you donate it) would help.  I'm sure they need it
too.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:02:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: 3 Month Storage

Most small planes use Avgas. A little pricey for cars and not
available at the corner station. Many also use auto gas on special
waivers. Gas is gas. It is not meant to be stored for long periods of
time. My recomendation is to just remove it. In case of a fire there
is that much less to burn, when you take the car out of storage you
will be starting and running on fresh fuel, and you will not be
deteriorating the parts in the fuel tank. For 3 months the gas can sit
without a problem. The problems start when it goes over 6 months and
then into years. The more volatile components of the gasoline
evaporate leaving the heavier, less volatile parts. This causes the
fuel to be harder to burn and the motor harder to start. It will also
run rougher. The fuel you remove can be used up in other cars. It is
MUCH easier to remove fresh fuel than to have to dig it out after it
goes bad so I say remove it BEFORE storage. Taking the fuel out is not
that big a deal. Remove the cover under the spare, loosen the clamp on
the pump and lift it out, then siphon or suck out the fuel. It can
also be done through the fuel sender unit, but I prefer to remove the
pump. You can do a better inspection of the internals that way.

>> Have you ever noticed how long a small airplane can sit in storage

and not

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:50:42 -0400
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Troubles-updated/flames from exhaust

I've heard different things about this, is it a car running rich or lean
that makes your eyes burn? Just curious.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:47:51 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Fuel vapor lock

Can our Deloreans experience fuel vapor lock? I have been told it could
not happen.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:56:00 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Window fogging up in rain...solutions?

The defroster depends on the air conditioner to dehumidify the air that is
blown on the windshield.  Is your AC working?

-------------- Original message from "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>: --------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:00:56 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Rough running (throttle cable)

I'm going to replace the wire and not the tube.  Will the wire slide through
the tube without taking the tube out of the car?  It seems as though it
would make it easier
for the wire to slide through the tube if the tube were straightened out.  I
placed an order for the cable from DMC already and hope to have the part in
a couple of days.