Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2835
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:2 Sep 2005 14:45:12 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Headlight Saver
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: Headlight Saver
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. RE: Paper Gaskets
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: Paper Gaskets
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. Re: Headlight Saver
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

6. Re: Re: Running light problem
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

7. Re: Headlight Saver
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

8. Re: Headlight Saver
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. Re: Delorean mysteriously died
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

10. Re: Re: Fuel vapor lock
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

11. Re: Window fogging up in rain...solutions?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

12. Re: AMC 390
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. Re: New DMC Owner with problems
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Interesting De Lorean toy
From: "Chuck McKnight" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Electrical upgrade kits
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. HID Headlight questions.
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

17. Re: Headlight Saver
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

18. DeLorean Factory Aerial Picture Wanted
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

19. RE: Headlight Saver
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. RE: Headlight Saver
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. RE: Re: Fuel vapor lock
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. RE: Electrical upgrade kits
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. RE: Headlight Saver
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. Re: Headlight Saver
From: Jeff Angiwn <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>

25. Re: Headlight Saver
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:37:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Headlight Saver

IIRC, I first noticed it at a DMA event.  a 16xx vin
car had to turn on the ignition for the brake lights
to work..

So, I guess the change was somewhere in the 18xx
range.

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:57:11 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Look like we have discovered another ????.

From:Mike Bosworth
Subject: Re: [DML] Headlight Saver

Hi, even more interseting is my #2001 brake lights dont work when
the key is not in the ignition....

Curious  :)

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:00:02 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Paper Gaskets

Paul, Paper gaskets are made to swell after moisture or oil get in contact
with them. That's part of the sealing process of a gasket. But with that
said I normally use a small amount of HT silicone on them to fill in the
small imperfections in the metal facings.

From:sweetp01569
Subject: [DML] Paper Gaskets

Do I need any type of gasket sealer/cement for paper gaskets, like the
valve cover or waterpump gaskets, or just leave paper alone?

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:26:43 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

My personal preference on those paper gaskets is Permatex aerosol
(spray can) sealer. I've tried installing the intake (ram's horn)
gaskets dry but they leak when I did that.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:24:04 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

#1458 brakelights work with ignition off #4426 requires ignition on

Martin
(both of the above!)

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:35:15 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Running light problem

If you've already swapped over the harnesses, you know where the 3-way
connectors are for the indicator/running lights. Clean -those- ones up
on the dodgy side. Especially if your side marker works on that side,
that'll be your problem. Use a multi-meter to check. If you definitely
get nothing there, you can "steal" a feed from the side marker adjacent
to that light - it comes off the same fuse.

If you do find it's a dirty connector, I've just received a batch of new
connectors, if you wish to re-crimp.

Best Wishes

Martin

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:04:57 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

"My brakelights on VIN 1880 work when the ignition is turned off.
The cutoff must be somewhere in between 1860 and 1880."

Can you take a look under the dash near the steering column and the
brake pedal. You may find a factory installed "jumper wire" with an
inline fuse holder. For some reason I think they installed this
jumper to make the brake lights hot all the time as a "work around".
This is what I found on mine. After removing this jumper (originally
thinking it had been installed by the previous owner) my car now only
has brake lights with the key on. Vin 3601
Stephen

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:16:38 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Based on all of the responses to this, I would bet that, depending on
the crew building the vehicle they did it in different ways, based on
the way they were trained.

Case in point,  6704 has red wires coming out of the lock module, Joeys
car has a brown base.  Bet they had two different wiring harnesses and
just mixed them up while assembling the cars, reach into bin, grab
wiring harness, hook up as trained, check as trained, passed test, and
on to the next step.

Bernie

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:21:38 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean mysteriously died

I'm sure my method will still be viewed as 'no good', but I would
still like to explain a little. "Grinding", wrong word to choose in
describing. The bit I use is more like a small round file, and all I
did was file away the dirt and oxidation. AND I did all connections
under 2 minutes without the need to remove the actual connection from
the plug. I am however NOT filing long enough that there are little
pieces or shavings/dust of the connector all over the place.
Most connections I've worked with today have a silver plating on them,
I didn't think the connections in the DeLorean bulkhead had any
plating-but were all one material-hence another reason why I did this.
Its got to be impossible to do this without filing at least some of
the metal, but it's such a small amount I would never worry about
it-plus you don't need to do this every week or year. Once they're
nice and shiny [and bent closed a little for good contact] and coated
with Dielectric grease-they're done, I've only had to do this once and
never since; I don't think I'll need to worry for another 20 years. I
haven't found a better way to successfully get all the dirt and crud
off this type of connections-being it's such small and deep socket.
Wire brush just took stuff off the top of the socket-I can't get it
down into the socket that's what made me think of this special file.
If you don't coat these you'll have oxidation back in no time
especially if they get wet [for those who have no coil cover] so don't
forget to use the dielectric grease. If you have a better way of
successfully getting all the dirt and oxidation out of the entire
socket including down inside, I'm all ears! -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:27:54 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel vapor lock

My car did this while it was running though.

It was hotter than hell out and i was crawling through the fair park in
Springfield Il during the Hot Rod Power Tour. I went from one end of
the park in first gear crawling to the other end of the park. My car
started to sputter and hesitate and died, it restarted again several
times and repeated what it did and then died for good. I had about 1/4
to 1/8 of a tank of gas at the time and my car was running HOT.

The car sat for 1 hour and fired right up and i drove it to the gas
station with no problems and havent had a problem since.

Mark V

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:33:06 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Window fogging up in rain...solutions?

Then your switch has been replaced/modified. Take a look at the A/C
heating section in the manual, it shows which A/C component gets
turned on at the different mode selections. By using symboles such as
a dash to show no current and a bolt showing current; in the defrost
position the compressor has a dash showing no voltage is sent there.
So the cars original came with no A/C in defrost unless it's true
about the 83's with the update to run A/C with defrost. I have no
facts on this so I'm not sure. I'll be looking into a modification of
the switch tomorrow evening, obviously it is possible. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:30:46 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: AMC 390

Yes i said you mean Bricklin and he said no it wasnt Bricklin because
they were out of buisness and he also said Bricklins were not made by
John Delorean.

This guy knew all about Deloreans and was very educated about the
Delorean. He even knew about problems the Delorean had that were fixed
the the fain fail and alternator problems.

He wasnt a dummy.

Mark V

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 00:43:52 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: New DMC Owner with problems

Terry,

Sounds like the fans are working right, are you having any over heating
problem?  If you don't get cold air, find a shop that can service and
and recharge R12 system.  If it's blowing cool air you just need a
recharge.  If it's not blowing anything but ambient temp air, you need
to find the leak an fix it.

Bernie

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:53:47 -0000
From: "Chuck McKnight" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Interesting De Lorean toy

Ok, so I was cleaning out some of my stuff a while ago, and I found
this toy car carrier.  I've had this thing for quite awhile, like over
6 years.  Anyway, I just found it recently, after it had been deep in
my closet for a long time, and I noticed that on the back of the
trailer it had a sticker of a De Lorean.  It is definately supposed to
be a De Lorean and not just some gullwing car that happens to look a
little like one.  I wonder who it was that decided there should be a
De Lorean sticker on it?  What really makes me curious, is that I
think it came with some cars to go on the trailer, but I have long
since lost them.  I wonder if one of them was a De Lorean.  Has anyone
else seen something similar to what I am describing?  I have some
pictures of it if anyone would like to see it.

Chuck McKnight

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:19:16 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Electrical upgrade kits

Could someone install the electrical upgrade kits in their driveway? I
need one and don't have any fancy equipment to work with.

Josh

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:02:30 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: HID Headlight questions.

Just curious. Does anyone on the list here have any experience with HID
headlight conversion on the delorean? I just searched through the
archives as much I could stand (I hate yahoo's limited search) and found
a debate on the differences in halogen and HID but nothing about anyone
actually using HID..  I'm also talking about true HID lights and not the
halogen lookalikes.. The questions I have are:

1) Does anybody have knowledge of which conversion kit (there are tons
of them out now) would require the least modification to the car?
and
2) Does anyone know about the legalities of the conversion and can
reccomend a DOT approved conversion kit?

 I know quite alot of the HID kit sellers say they are for export only
and not for sale in the USA, but I know HID headlights  (at least
properly aimed ones that conform to DOT standards and regulations) are
legal in the US as far as my research has determined, and that kits
conforming to US DOT standards do exist, however I haven't as yet had
any luck finding one that seems like it would be compatible with the car.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:10:16 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

My brake lights on 3488 will not work unless the ignition is turned on.

Jace

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:58:21 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Factory Aerial Picture Wanted

Hello:

Working on a display and need the assistance of those that have a 8 x 10 or
larger picture of the factory during production. Such as an aerial picture
from  the apartment buildings etc.

I would like to find a picture of the entire factory grounds, with the cars
in foreground  lined up outside & waiting for transporters etc. I think  i
have seen a similar picture in DW magazine.   Please email me if you  can help.

The pictures that I have of the factory are pics of the groundbreaking  &
construction process.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:05:41 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Patrick, If your brake lights work with the ign swt off then the key
wouldn't have to be turned on to turn on the parking lights. See if your #18
fuse per the diagram powers the stop light switch with the key off. If they
work then unplug #18 and see if they still do. Give me feed back.

From:Patrick C.

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:08:59 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Ok, Lets take a count of cars,  does your ignition switch have to be turned
on to power the brake lights when you step on the pedal.
Let me know your vin and I will see if there common since to it.

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:23:41 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mark, Same problem the AZ people have when the fuel is low and it's hot
outside. Fuel pump problem. Fill it up a little and it will go away. It will
also happen if you have a full tank of gas the fuel it gets to hot. This is
where the Air Dam comes in handy keeping the radiator fans from blowing more
hot air on the fuel tank. I'm also working on another fuel tank heat
problem.

From:DMCVIN6683
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Fuel vapor lock

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:25:52 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Electrical upgrade kits

Josh, What kind of up grades.

From:Josh Porter
Subject: [DML] Electrical upgrade kits

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:34:59 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Bernie, I find the same thing in the heater control cut off valve behind the
fuel distributor. The T splice is on the right side and some on the left
side for the over flow coolant tank return. Since I built my assembly off
one where the T is on the right side, some people change it to the way
there's was hooked up.
I simply call it the difference between 1st and 2nd shift.

From:Bernie

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:50:16 -0700
From: Jeff Angiwn <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>

3034 :  Ignition switch NOT turned on > brake light on

Jeff Angwin

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:05:12 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

John, I'm not sure if that response was really meant for me or
not...I'm not installing the kit.  My parking lights come on without
the key in.  But just for discussion, my #18 fuse is simply a "spare"
as the top of the fuse says.  On other cars this is where the brake
lights are fused, but on mine my brakelights have an in-line fuse
holder with a brown wire going in one end, and a green going out the
other end. This is factory wiring on some of the earlier cars like
mine, as I have heard of others with a fuse in the same spot (hanging
close to the lambda counter).  #18 does nothing on my car, its just
there to hold an extra fuse.

-Patrick C.