Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2843
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:6 Sep 2005 20:57:38 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Grrr!
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

2. Re: second gear fork pin ($10,000 question)
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. RE: Re: Intake Manifold Bolts
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

4. Re: Gift from the P.O.?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. DMC news from Albany
From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: HID Headlight questions.
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Gift from the P.O.?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. DeLorean Sighting
From: Justin Lambright <jlambri4400_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. newdelorean(dot)com
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

11. Re: second gear fork pin ($10,000 question)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

12. Bill miller's Delorean Ripped off again.
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

13. Re: Grrr!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

15. Monthly contest
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 23:35:28 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Grrr!

There are a TON of replacement doors available at DMCH or Grady's.
Don't settle for a dented D.  File a claim, the drunk truck driver
is clearly at fault, and get a new door.  You will feel better about
that than settling for a dented door.

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mr.pants_at_dml_c..." <mr.pants_at_dml_c...>
wrote:

>> Well, it had to happen: yesterday, in a parking lot, a guy in a

pickup

>> truck backed out of his spot without seeing me in my car (I was

stopped

>> between two cars in a line-up), and despite the dozen or so blasts

of my

>> horn and about five people standing around & yelling at him to

stop, he

>> backed into my passenger mirror, resulting in a fist-sized dent

just

>> below the mirror, and a scrape & crease from his bumper.  Luckily

he was

>> going slowly, so the damage is not severe, but still, it sucks.
>> Especially since I've JUST retrieved my car from my mechanic's

shop and

>> have been driving it for about a month!  Grr!  He took off when he

found

>> out the police were called, because I could smell the Jack Daniels

on

>> him from three feet away, but I did get all his info, so I presume

he

Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 23:53:47 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: second gear fork pin ($10,000 question)

Dave,

You are not an amatuer mechanic, you are a DeLorean mechanic, how
many cars have you rebuilt?  More than most of us, I bet you could
recite section and page number for any procedure in the workshop
manual, and provide shortcuts to almost every procedure.  That makes
you a professional DeLorean mechanic in my book, others may
disagree, but that is my opinion.

Your advice to everyone is always spot on, though solving problems
via email can be a problem, you do try your best to get to the heart
of the problem and point people in the right direction.

Bernie

>> It's not all that difficult - I'm a amateur maechanic and I

figured

Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:09:36 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Intake Manifold Bolts

I just borrowed a kit free from the local auto zone store - have not used it
yet though.  They required an $80 refundable deposit.

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:24:57 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gift from the P.O.?

Are the "ladder style" zip ties going to be a part of the Concours
judging now?

 :-)

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

>> Actually I think that's a factory "mod", they use the hunk of hose

>> keep the tube from rubbing on the brake line that is just above

it.

>> The "giveaway" is that the zip-ties are a strange design, they look
>> like a "ladder" rather than the normal ones you get now.
>>
>> Dave Swingle
>>
>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>

>> come

pipes

additional

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:03:34 -0000
From: "JSJB100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC news from Albany

Hey List

Check out this story on our friend, Enrique, who owns a 1983 DMC

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?
storyID=395600&category=SCHENECTADY&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=9/5/2005

Also, I am in the process of selling a home near Cooperstown....The
realtor, when she saw the DMC in the garage knew what it was
immediately. Turns out she and her family lived next door to Mr.
Delorean in New Jersey...small world.

Joe B.
VIN 2957
Outtatym

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:02:28 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: HID Headlight questions.

You are right Tom it is very important to know what the light
distribution is. For my HID artilce it was extremely difficult to
capture the end of the beam of light from the headlights. These
headlights have the super sharp cut off lines so that there is
basically no glare to oncoming traffic and you can aim these
headlights higher to see more because of that. Also what some people
who are not used to the modern HID setups will first wonder why it
looks like the drivers side beam is lower than the passenger side.
This is actually normal. What it is doing is lowering the beam on
the oncoming traffic lane only so that you are not
constantly "flashing" your lights at them but the headlights are
actually even with eachother. It keeps the brightest part of the
beam out of the oncoming drivers eyes. The beam pattern looks like
it was drawn with a ruler it is that sharp.

Peter Kuchan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> Hey
>>
>> How about some pictures of the light distribution?? We all know

what xenon

>> lights look like. What is important is how those lights perform.

Do they

>> give the "E-coded" headlight light distribution or is it an

illegal 'blob'

>> of light that you aim to be somewhere in the middle of your lane? -

 similar

>> to the US only legal sealed beams. This is the important thing!
>> Please, post some info and pictures that explain this.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Tom Niemczewski
>> tomciodmc_at_dml_p... -> www.deloreana.com
>> VIN 6149 (in Poland!)
>> Save the dream so you can live the dream...

the

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:52:08 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Only if we start judging cars on a lift.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 05:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Justin Lambright <jlambri4400_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Sighting

Last Friday, corner of Main St.(Lombard) and Roosevelt Rd. For anyone who lives in the suburbs of Chicago. Around 3PM. DeLorean was going westbound on Rt. 38(Roosevelt). First one I've seen on the road in like, 4 or 5 years.  Oh yea, and I picked me up one of those Wendy's toys. You pull it back and it goes straight. Way better than the McDonald's one from 15 years ago.
Justin

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 06:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: newdelorean(dot)com

http://www.newdelorean.com/
Yes, but coming when today?

Shannon Y

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 13:23:08 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: RE: Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...

Nick - The speedo drive gear mounted on the outside of the differential
carrier, meshes with a driven gear mounted in the righthand side of the
transmission casing to the rear of the output shaft.  The plastic driven
gear is fixed to a short steel spindle supported in a plastic bush, which
 incorporates an oil seal to prevent oil rising up the shaft.  The gear,
spindle and bush are supplied as a complete assembly which should
not be dismantled.  An 'O' ring seals the bush into the casing.

It is on the right hand side of the Esprit, so in front of the left hand
drive axle on a Delorean.  There is a wire clip that retains the cable
and 2 bolts that secure a plate over the bush assembly on the Esprit.
The wire clip attaches to the securing plate so if it probably can't
be seen on the DeLorean - I haven't crawled under to take a look.
Later Esprits started using an electronic pickup instead of the cable
and Lotus just left the speedo drive open.

-------------- Original message from "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>: --------------

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:19:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I think Dave was using the word "amatuer" in the sense that he is not
making a living at working on Deloreans. In that sense he is not a
professional. This is not to diminish or discredit his knowledge and
experience about Deloreans. The only "professionals" would be the
mechanics at the Delorean vendors like Rob Grady or Steve Wynn and
their employees.

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:03:50 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Bill miller's Delorean Ripped off again.

Earlier this year someone stole Bill Miller front grill and emblem.

Last week, while his cars was in the  parking lot at the hospital where
he works in Columbus. Somebody stole his

Rear fascia and tail lights.    !!!!

I told Bill that this is not easy to do.   I also doubt that  nobody
saw anything.   Based on my security experience, I told  Bill to
suspect that someone in hospital security is involved.

Anyway,  if someone sees or hears about a rear fascia and tail lights
for sale in the Columbus area.  Let Bill know.

BOB

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I don't know what the insurance companies do up there,
but clearly the damage is the other driver fault.

Here in NJ, I would put in a claim against his
insurance company and hold the responsible for the
full cost to make the car perfect (as it was before it
was hit).  One could argue that the only way to do it
would be to replace the door skin..  The have the car
shipped to your favorite vendor and have the door
replaced.

Assuming your old door can be repaired, you can make
it available to another owner who is repairing a car
without the luxury of an insurance company paying the
bill.

--- "mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net" <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:50:02 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone got anything clever?

I want to get in on this, even if I am late.
Time to time, some over-clever child will call and ask to buy a flux
capacitor.  I can shut them up and insure that they'll keep their
distance by simply asking for a credit card number.
Warren at DMC

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:08:48 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Monthly contest

One more monthly contest is over, congratulations to Chuck McKnight for
his winning entry!  The contest for September is up and ready on
http://babbtechnology.com/Contest feel free to check it out (I also have
the answers to last months contest on the site).

Thanks, and good luck!!!

Michael