Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2845
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:7 Sep 2005 22:47:09 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: OVERHEATING?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

2. RPM hunting is all but gone
From: "nk1165" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

3. Re: Re: Front License Plate
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

4. Re: Interior Door Handle
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

5. Re: Louder Fuel Pump Buzzing after Replacing Fuel Hoses at the Fuel Pump -- Soun
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

6. Re: Stolen Facia
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Re: OVERHEATING?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. Re: Stolen Facia
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

9. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: Grrr!
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

11. Re: newdelorean(dot)com
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Re: newdelorean(dot)com
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. Re: Fanzilla Clone?
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: OVERHEATING?
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:08:34 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: OVERHEATING?

The self-bleeder won't help purge air trapped in the radiator.

-------------- Original message from John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:40:26 -0000
From: "nk1165" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RPM hunting is all but gone

Since replacing my fuel accumalator, the RPM "hunting" (surging), or
what I thought was hunting, has substantially reduced.  And it hot
starts again:-)

Nick

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:35:20 -0400
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Front License Plate

looks a lot like the one sold by PJ Grady et al...

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:14:03 -0000
  "Andy Verbrugghe" <andy_verbrugghe_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>>I made something myself out of stainless steel : I've
>>bended a plate
>>3 times (horizontal-diagonal-vertical) and mounted the
>>horizontal
>>part to the existing holes that hold the lower front
>>grill. That way
>>the vertical part comes out just in front of the bumper
>>and I didn't
>>have to dril holes in the bumper. I've mounted my
>>numberplate to the
>>vertical bit. Another advantage is when you park
>>somewhere too close
>>to a wall, that the first thing getting hit ...
>>
>>Pictures say more than words, so ...
>>
>>http://www.dmc-delorean.com/apow05/dmc07.jpg
>>http://www.dmc-delorean.com/apow05/dmc10.jpg
>>
>>Regards from Belgium
>>
>>Andy Verbrugghe
>>VIN#04610

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:15:54 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Interior Door Handle

Hi

After removing the top door panel, dont go by what the book says and
try to find a 2 foot long screwdriver  to undo the two side screws on
thew handle :)... if you look down onto the top, where the rubber grab
handle fixes to the metal bracket / backplate you can see two bolts, by
removing these the handle with the metal bracket comes away from the
door skin, You may have to remove the power window switch / blanking
plate to get to the bolt underneath that one but all in all its far
easier this way  :)

I Dont suppose you are fitting those black grab handles off ebay...
missed out on those  :)  Mine is starting to fall apart all those years
of the wrap around strap digging into it.....

Regards

Yorkshire, UK

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_c...>
wrote:

>> Does anyone have some tips for replacing the driver's side interior

door handle(the one the pull strap wraps around)?  It looks like 2
bolts hold it in but I wanted to consult with the voices of experience
before tearing the door apart!

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:05:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Louder Fuel Pump Buzzing after Replacing Fuel Hoses at the Fuel Pump -- Soun

My cars always seem to run better after I clean them or change the
oil! Really though, changing the hoses should have no effect on
performance. If they are really noisy your choices are:
Replace the fuel pump
Isolate the hoses so they don't vibrate against the fiberglass.
This can be done by twisting them as you tighten them so they don't
rub hard on the fiberglass and some foam between the hoses and the
fiberglass. You can also use a piece of larger hose slit lengthwise
and wrapped around the fuel hoses. The fuel pump can also be noisy
especially when the fuel tank is low or the rubber boots are old and
hard. Maybe you turned the pump as you installed it and kinked the
suction hose? That would make the pump noisy.

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:07:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Stolen Facia

My guess is that the facia was stolen, not by a Delorean person, but
by someone that will nail it up on the wall in their basement!

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:25:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: OVERHEATING?

If replacing the thermostat causes overheating either you are not
installing it correctly or it is defective. Even with the self bleeder
installed you SHOULD initially manually bleed the thermostat housing
AND the radiator. 175 is not overheating. In fact the motor is
SUPPOSED to run at 180-190. Overheating would be over 220. You can
check the thermostat. Stick it in a pot of water with a thermometer
and watch it as you heat the water up. You should see it start to open
at around the temp stamped on it. If you are getting bubbles in the
coolant, that is not overheating, you popped a head gasket (from
overheating). This is not what the self-bleeder is for. You will have
to replace the head gaskets and maybe have the heads milled.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:40:26 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

When I was in Columbus on a business trip last year, I had far more
people tell me that they had seen DeLoreans driving around from time to
time, than I ever heard of in Vegas. I even followed one person's
directions, and found an abandonded one sitting in someone's driveway,
buried in the snow. There seem to be quite a few in and around Capital
City.

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:44:03 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/

Hi All

This fuel test kit was mentioned a while ago....Does any one actually
have this kit?... does it have all of the 'Delorean related'
connections needed to connect it up properly ??

Fuel Injection Tester for C.I.S.-K-Jectronic Bosch (R) Systems Kit
ZX123617U

Thanks for the help

Yorkshire UK

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:55:10 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Grrr!

Ed,

You do not need a new door.  During the DMCH open house, we were given a
demonstration of stainless repair.  One of the tools at their disposal
includes a stick that can tack-weld itself to the exterior of a panel to
allow dents to be pulled out.  Once flat, the panel is retextured.  I've
seen some pretty amazing before/after pictures, so as long as the
stainless hasn't cracked it should be fixable, and maybe even then! People
have welded a patch into the front-right fender antenna mast hole, and it
looks perfect when done...amazing.

The question becomes relative cost.  There may other places that do
stainless repair, and DMCH is halfway across the continent from where you
are in Canada.  (Of course, some Canadians were giving aid in New Orleans
before FEMA managed to get there, but that's another story.)  You could
get a new door, but now you're looking at the R&R of the door, plus the
R&R of everything inside the door, arrgh.  My worry would be getting it
back on and aligned correctly.

So maybe your best bet is to send the whole car to a DeLorean shop up
north near where you live, have THEM remove the door and ship it off to
get repaired, and them let them reinstall it.  But who knows, maybe they
can fix the stainless themselves!

You should:

  1. Find out shipping cost for the car to various locations (I'd guess
$600 to $1500USD)
  2. Find out shipping cost for just the door (which is about 150 lbs!)
  3. Email photos to the vendors for a repair estimate

You may need to document several estimates and hound the insurance company
to pay for the correct repair.  They will try to lowball you at every
turn, and you must keep reminding them that "your client hit my DeLorean",
"YOUR INSURED HIT MY DELOREAN".

At least you got the offender's info; when I got hit last month, I
foolishly let the criminal party drive away.   :-(

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:57:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: newdelorean(dot)com

Lets hope it is September and doesn't change to October when 10/1/05 comes &
goes.

I'm hoping they did not add cup holders to the car. I like telling people at car
shows that DMC had to remove the cup holders after people kept getting cokes
dumped on them when opening the doors.

Shannon Y (anxiously awaiting the planned hype/internet buzz)

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:19:49 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: newdelorean(dot)com

It is not about a new Delorean.

The newdelorean.com site is not 'aimed' at existing DeLorean owners and
enthusiasts. Those who expect or anticipate something earthshaking will
be disappointed. This website, and the advertising that it is presented
within, is directed at those who may not be familiar with DMC (Texas)
and the cars that they offer.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:04:04 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Fanzilla Clone?

 From the photograph, it looks like it doesn't have any wiring for the Fan
Fail light. This means it won't light up if one of the fans fail like with
the Fanzilla or if the fans turn on with the 2x2. However, it doesn't say
if it stagers the fans off as well. Not as important as turning them on
stagered, but the Fanzilla does this.

 From the description, it looks like a good product. It has a relay and
fuse for each fan. I actually wired up my Fanzilla to work very similar to
this by getting the power directly from the battery. Works great.

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:11:25 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

>> You will have to replace the head gaskets and maybe have the heads
>> milled.
>> David Teitelbaum
>> vin 10757

>From what i've read on some volvo forums about PRV's, you do NOT want
to have any amount of the head surface removed in any circumstance.
>From what i've come across in my research, it causes timing chain
problems as even the slightest change in the distance of the cams
from the crankshaft will push the chain tensioners to the limits of
their ability to keep proper tension on the chain.. You also have to
remember the timing cover bolts to both the block and the head, so
changing the tolerances between the block and head would likly mean
the timing cover wouldn't fit quite right after you torqued the heads
down.

Granted, i've never actually rebuilt any of these engines myself..
but this is what my research has told me when looking in to what it
will take to rebuild the engine in my D

Chris
VIN# 3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/