Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2849
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:9 Sep 2005 17:41:21 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: What's the Air Filter for our cars?
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

2. Re: Hard start issue?
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

3. Re: Hard start issue?
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

4. RE: Hard start issue?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: What's the Air Filter for our cars?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Forbes Magazine, Spetember 2005 Issue, DMCH
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Window button arrows
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

8. Re: Hard start issue?
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

9. Totaled DeLorean
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Production twin turbo PRV
From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: What's the Air Filter for our cars?
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>

12. Re: Window button arrows
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. RE: Hard start issue?
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

15. RE: Hard start issue?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

16. Re: air filter
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. Re: OVERHEATING?
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

20. Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

21. Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Re: Production twin turbo PRV
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. Re: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Totaled DeLorean - important info about your insurance
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

25. Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:57:00 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: What's the Air Filter for our cars?

[Moderator note: Please take this topic to private email or some other forum.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

The issue is not with duty or taxes that Canada Customs charges (I used to
work for them before being their Tech guy). The problem is when the shipping
companies sees a 20.00 item and charges another 30.00 to fill out a few
blanks and pay the couple of bucks of taxes - then charges you $$$$ for the
service. The only solution is not to use a shipping company (the post office
has Custom Officers on staff who do the paperwork themselves if it is
warranted) or to import large quantities to limit the per unit cost of the
brokerage charges.

Mike Walsh

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:31:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Hard start issue?

THanks todd, i will try your suggestion, but my thermotime switch was replaced in 1999, could it be defaulty?

Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu> wrote:Hey, I just had this exact problem with my car a few weeks ago. It finally
turned out to be a bad Thermo-Time Switch. This is the temperature switch
that tells the cold start valve to fire when the coolant is 95 F or below.
As a temporary workaround until I can get the new switch I manually ground
the cold start valve by putting a jumper from the blue-black wire on the TTS
connector to a good ground, like the intake. This will force the cold start
valve to fire even if the coolant is not 95 F or below. If this works, by a
new switch, all the vendors have them for around $30. It's located on the
left side of the water pump housing.

Todd Nelson,
1561, Vermont

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:00:21 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

You've got to systematically troubleshoot the cold  start circuit.  Get the
schematic and someone who can read it and work it  step by step.  It is not a
difficult circuit.  Last Saturday I visited  a new owner here on Long Island
who's car took a long time to start when cold,  i.e. the cold start problem.

I used a multimeter and made sure the Thermotime switch  was get voltage from
the / through the cold start injector.  It was  not.  I pulled back the
wiring boot on the injector and found one of the  contacts was pushed into the
injector's connector so it was not connecting to  the injector itself.  I pushed
it forward from the outside end and then we  were able to measure the voltage
going to the Thermotime switch through the  injector itself.

Does this make any sense?

This is the email I received the next  morning....

Dave,

Well, I entered my car this morning with  slight
trepidation. I depressed the gas 1/4th of its travel,
turned the  key and whoosh! Car started right up on
first turn. I really appreciate you  taking time out of
your schedule to help me. All the  best

-Dan

As I said it is a simple circuit and basic  troubleshooting techniques apply.
 If you need more help email  me.

Dē & 6530
(+2700  ohm)

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:27:12 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

What is the temperature where your are, could be the hot start problem.
TTS switch isn't firing off the cold start valve. Either on could be bad.
Mixture screw could be out of adjustment.
Low battery causes a weak spark when trying to start. What is the battery
voltage when trying to start.
Vacuum leak.

[...]

So if anybody here has any idea of why this is happening or what
valves to check etc. Let me know. Thanks everybody and i appreciate
the help.

PS this was happening to me before when i first got the car but all
i did was just change the spark plugs (because they were
contaminated) and it started up fine for the last 3 months.

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:38:26 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Ask a vendor and you might get the answer.  I ship all over the world.
Global Priority mail for a 10oz package air filter to Canada is $7.00.
4 to 6 days. I price for people all the time.

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 05:22:38 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Forbes Magazine, Spetember 2005 Issue, DMCH

For the whole story, download here:

http://www.dfwdmc.com/media/Forbes_0905_DMCH.pdf

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:53:58 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Window button arrows

Hi

Try

http://www.newoldbits.co.uk/   look at his products...

He is a fellow D owner in the UK

Regards

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_B...> wrote:

>> I'm sending my window switches off to John to have them refurbished,
>> but the arrows are faded and nearly gone.  I've seen decals on a

German

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:13:23 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Stefan,

6 years is pretty new, especially for a part that rarely fails.  The easiest
thing to do is test it with a continuity tester.  If you know the coolant
temp is below 95 F, then there should be continuity between the TTS and the
ground.  I have also heard that some people will use teflon tape to help
seal the connection between the TTS and the water pump housing.  While this
is normally a good idea for threaded fittings where water is trying to be
contained, the TTS gets it's ground through its threaded connection to the
water pump, so if this is shielded by a non conductor like teflon tape, that
could cause it to not function.  I'm assuming you were not the owner of the
car when the part was replaced, so we don't know how it was installed.

Let us know what happens,
Todd Nelson,
1561, Vermont

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 04:04:20 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Totaled DeLorean

 All I regret to inform you that while myself and the cat survived Huricane
Katrina Vin #10544 unfortunately did not. While safely protected from
falling limbs and flying debris inside my garage the 30 ft swell put my
house (and gargage) under nearly 9 feet of water. I've uploaded photos of
the watery and moldy aftermath to a folder called Totaled DeLorean. Later
today I'll be talking to the claims adjuster and see what my car is really
worth to them. Although the car was floated around the garage with the
washers, driers, jetski, and Tide, the body sustained no damage that I can
percieve. I plan on keeping the car after they total it and based on the
widespread distruction my agent advises they may allow me to do so free of
charge. They have so many cars to haul out of here its a logisitcal
nightmare.
 Looking to rebuild and move on I may be moving to Germany with a new job
soon. I can't wait to tool around on the Autobahn in my new DeLorean, this
time make it a turbo!
 Signing off for now,
Jeff Phillips
#No Vin

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:07:41 -0000
From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Production twin turbo PRV

Hello all,

First, I almost sure that the A610 Alpine never had a twin turbo,
this setup was only used on some competition cars.

Do you want to see one of the best engine evolution ? Would you want
650hp in your DeLorean ?
Just go and see these pics and enjoy :
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2128.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2573.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2572.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/3714.jpg

http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/3411.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2695.jpg
Yes, there is an engine somewhere...  ;-)

Just visit this great web site and you will see what Frenchies can
do with an engine...  ;-)
For the Venturi 260 : 260hp and 431Nm, Venturi 600 : 600hp and 686Nm.
The "only" big problem is... ...the price.  :-(

Best regards from France,

Chris.
#04271/DL1981.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> Hi All
>>
>> Just thought you might like to see what the only production twin

turbo

>> PRV went into (4WD too)
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.fr/vends-safrane-biturbo-

baccara_W0QQitemZ4572329767

>> A better engine photo

http://www.biturbo.foxnet.pl/Galeria/Samochody/RenaultSafrane/safrane
5.jpg

>> 268bhp and 370Nm of torque according to a website I found. It is a

later

>> more refined version of the A610 engine. I'd be very interested in

boost

>> figures because all the other Renault turbo PRV's came out the

factory

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:36:03 -0400
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>

Sorry about that but it looks like the table I tried to paste in did not copy.  Here is a list of filters that should fit.

AC		A815C
Bosch		AF235
Champion	AF343
Crossland	042115
FRAM		PH287A
NAPA		6112
NOPI		AF235
Purolator	AF4275
Volvo		269308-3
WIX		46112
World		W27-623

Ron

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:12:09 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

I got mine from http://www.mydelorean.com/main.html - they were top notch!

Michael

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 05:57:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...

"Everything we do is geared toward selling more
parts"....

And you all thought DMCH were in it for the love of
the car.. LOL!!

Now my opinion on the DMCH run Concours event is dead
on.

This Article confirms a lot of what I have said over
the years.

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:47:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

The temperature yesterday was around 80 degrees. its weird though because it can sit in my garage for two days and start fine cold but if it stays outside it wont start. its the weirdest thing, and there is no hot start problem, because if i drive the car and get it warmed up, and turn it off and start it, it starts fine. The thing i had to do to start it was pump the gas pedel and press it all the way down to get it to start.

John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:What is the temperature where your are, could be the hot start problem.

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:16:38 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Sounds like an accumulator problem.  I had a similar issue when I
drove my car home from New Mexico to Minnesota.  The car
had been running great all week, so we got brave and went off
the beaten path in Wyoming.  We stopped for lunch in the bustling
town of Lusk.  Lusk is the only place I have ever seen a combination
antique and pet shop.  At any rate, after having an extra ignition
key made at the local Ace hardware, the car started up fine.  After
sitting for a couple of hours while we had lunch, it would not
start using the normal starting procedure.  It eventually started
using the technique you describe.  When we got home, the
problem was traced to the accumulator.  It was replaced and
I have not had a problem since.

-------------- Original message from stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>: --------------

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:51:56 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: air filter

Do you have, or know if there is a cross reference chart in any of
the forums with information like this for all the other consumable
parts (oil filter, wipers, sparks, etc). Thanks

John

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Ableman <s.ableman_at_dml_w...> wrote:

>> Ed,
>>
>>     For an after market air filter I use a Purolator A14275. Never

had a

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:01:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...

Since when did the word "Profit" become a dirty word? Anybody that
invests that kind of money in parts, buildings, labor force, and
advertising is entitled to earn a profit on it. Better him than the
scrapman, at least the parts are still available to the Delorean
community. At a price maybe, but what other way is there? Give Steve
the credit he deserves for investing his money, time, and livelyhood
in the car. This is not a plug for Steve, just an aknowledgement of
his acomplishments. Maybe you would prefer Delorean 1 to have aquired
the Kapac inventory? Still better than the scrapman but where would we
be now? Yes, if you look underneath you will find that everything he
does is based on making money. That is what it takes to stay in
business so he CAN pursue the dream of keeping the Delorean Marque
alive and thriving. We have no arguement here, this is just the way
the world works, like it or not. Steve is at least able to do what had
to be done to keep our Deloreans on the road for the foreseeable
future. In the meantime he gets to make some money too. That is what a
successful businessman does.

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:45:47 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: OVERHEATING?

Could you explain a bit more about these bottles you are making with
the extra connection? Can a bottle be retrofitted with the adapter?
How do you route the hose in this configuration?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> BTW the self-bleed kit works great, but there's one problem which

I've

>> never noticed anyone mention: The hose MUST go "uphill" otherwise

you

>> create a U-bend and the air will get trapped in the top of the pump

just

>> the same
>>
>> We've started making our cooland bottles with an extra connection

at
the

>> top of the rear of the bottle allowing easy connection of the self-

bleed

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:08:43 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw

I was about to check into the fuel air mixture for my idle problem.
After pulling the plastic plug from the hole, I come to find out
that I have no fuel-air mixture screw!  My 3 mm allan wrench simply
passes through the open hole to the air flap mechanism (sorry for
the nontechnical term for this).  A little hard to adjust without a
screw!

Is there a replacement for this (the parts manual just indicates the
rubber plug), or can I buy at a local hardware store?  Also, it
looked like there were no threads in the hole.  Do I need to tap it?

Anyone else come across this?

To refresh, my idling problem is this.  Relatively smooth idle
before I changed water pump, plugs, wires, distributor and cap.
After the job, my cold idle seems smooth, but when engine reaches
temperature, the idle goes up and down, almost stalling then catches
up with a quick rev. It stalled a couple of time, too.  I am still
looking for vacuum leaks as directed by some of you,  but wanted to
investigate the mixture as well.

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:12:05 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Of course they focus on selling parts - it's a business, after all.

I see no reason why the two have to be mutually exclusive.  You can
appreciate the marque and still run a business.  It happens all the the
time with other vintage cars.  Why do you think outfits like Year One
or National Parts Depot sponsor car shows and concours events?

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:02:37 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Totaled DeLorean

R.I.P. - #10544.  You know, the first time I saw the flood footage on the news, and
seeing all those submerged cars, I was telling myself that I would really be pissed if
my DeLorean was under water like that.  All my sympathy to you on the loss of,
basicly, everything you own.  I really would like to see 10544 on the road again
someday.  Keep us updated!
Corey
2423

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:36:20 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Production twin turbo PRV

[Moderator Note:  I realize this has strayed a bit off topic, but the subject seems to have some historic value so I'm letting it run for a while.  Please hold back your complaints, I won't let this subject go on forever.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

>>First, I almost sure that the A610 Alpine never had a twin turbo,
>>this setup was only used on some competition cars.

I never said it did. The only production twin turbo PRV was in the
Safrane Bi-turbo which also had the balance shaft - something the A610
didn't. I don't know for sure but would guess the Saf also has hydraulic
tappets - the A610 doesn't

>>Do you want to see one of the best engine evolution ? Would you want
>>650hp in your DeLorean ?

While Venturi did produce a couple of wierd and wonderful PRV hybrids,
they were just that:  hybrids. The 260 had a late 2.8 litre 25 turbo
engine (which if the pistons were still available would be the best
solution to turbocharging the DeLorean engine). The Atlantique 300 at
281bhp was the most powerful of the 12v's a but was a hybrid of the 25
turbo / GTA heads on a 3 litre bottom end giving it 7.6:12 compression
and the ability to run over a bar of boost. These were all single turbo

The 600LM is a blinking LeMans car! It's a 3 litre bottom end mated to
heads from a Peugeot 605/ Citroen XM 24v with proprietary cams/lifters.
In roadgoing form it knocked out 400bhp but the engine is still a hybrid
and was produced in really small numbers. This is the only other twin
turbo but the engines weren't built at Douvrain

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...

Yikes!  I am not sure how you got all of that out of
my comments, but...

I *DO* give DMCH credit for what they have done. Have
I ever found fault with someone making an investment
and earning a fair profit?  (Yes BOB, I said FAIR!)

My point was, I see folks here discuss DMCH (and other
vendors) as if they are some sort of saints..  You do
it below Dave with the "what if".  Stephen did not buy
the KPAC inventory for OUR BENEFIT, it was for HIS...
and in the process owners have also gotten some
benefit.  AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS BAD, OR HE IS
BAD FOR MAKING A PROFIT!  (Re-read that like 10X times
if you don't get it).

More importantly, next time you go through the
concours judging manual and wonder why some of the
things are written the way they are, think about the
quote "Everything we do is geared toward selling more
parts". Then maybe you will stop telling the world
that Concours winners should be accepted as "the best
of the best".  Go ahead if you enjoy the competition,
but at least understand what you are participating in.

I apologize to my friends who asked me to stop
"picking on" the concours event..

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 18:47:25 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Totaled DeLorean - important info about your insurance

Hello Jeff

I'm really sorry to hear that your DeLorean didn't survive....
But I can give you some advice what to do when you talk to the insurance
company. This is important information that they don't want you to know!
When you talk to them, agree on what the car is worth. This is what they
will pay you when they total the car. Talk to them as you wouldn't know
anything and pretend it's ok. Then right before they print out your check
'remind' them that they have to add sales tax to the final value of the car!
It is the law. They cannot say no and they cannot lower the value of the car
once you agree on it. If you mention the tax before you agree on the value
they will lower it.
Now what I did once in Florida was to ask them if they want to pay me the
sales tax on the final value of the car or if they would rather let me keep
the title. And guess what... they paid me what the car was worth (then I
bought the car back from them) and I kept a clear title! This way you might
be able to keep the car on the road. Don't let another DeLorean die without
a fight!
If you have any questions about this you can email me privately. I'd be glad
to help you out.

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl -> www.deloreana.com
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

From: "Jeff Phillips"

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:03:18 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

In general, people who read Forbes aren't interested in the DeLorean
car.  They're interested in building businesses and making money.  The
writer knows that, and is going to concentrate solely on the quotes
that Steven has made that make him look like a "good businessman" or,
more likely, an agressive or ruthless businessman.  If Forbes couldn't
make him look like that, they wouldn't have written the article,
because it wouldn't have been interesting to the readers.

The writer may have taken some of Steven's quotes out of context, but
even if he did, nothing in the article impugns either Steven or DMCH.
 The only person who sees it that way is one who has already
incriminated him in his own mind (reinforcement of bias).

Aaron