Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2850
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:9 Sep 2005 21:51:19 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Re: air filter
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>

2. Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

3. RE: Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Hard start issue?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. RE: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>

7. Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:47:41 -0400
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
Subject: RE: Re: air filter

John,

I have an old cross reference document that I can send to you or anyone else that wants it.  I don't think attachments will go through to the list so e-mail personally and I will send it to you in a Microsoft Word document.

Ron

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:11:22 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Totaled DeLorean

Jeff,

I bought my time machine delorean from  a  junk yard in New Orleans
back in 1992.  It had been under water for 4 months from hurricane
Hugo(?).  The engine had one rusted cylinder- otherwise it ran.  The
trans needed new lube.

The interior was rotted but I replaced it.   Also rebuilt the brake
system and cleaned up the wiring.

Your car is not a total loss.   See if you can get it totaled by the
insurance company and then buy it back for "parts"  really cheap.

Don't under estimate JZD design.

BOB

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:12:28 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw

Paul, If there is no screw down inside the air flow meter where you inserted
the 3mm wrench, Unless someone has one or it isn't down inside the air flow
meter, then you will need to go to the wrecking yard and buy a similar set
up off an early Volvo and carefully take it apart. The screw is a very fine
thread and has a keeper on the bottom of it, so don't pull on it.
There is a picture on my fuel reference page as to what it looks like.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-system-references.html

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:22:35 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Hard start issue?

Based on what your saying, I would adjust the mixture screw clock about
1/8th turn. The air flow meter deflection plate may no be rising the control
plunger high enough to pass fuel to the injectors.
Does the car ever die at Idle or when you let off the gas going to a light.

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:07:30 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...

There is no doubt that Stephen loves the DeLorean, you have to have a
passion for something in order to go into that field and to hit up your
family and friends for the MILLIONS of dollars it took
to buy all those parts, set up that facility and maintain it.
Stephen is in BUSINESS and has to pay the note on that 40,000 square foot
building,
pay all those employees, pay all those utilities and services and on top of
that make a profit
to eat on....after he has paid all the interest to the bank and investors.

These stainless steel parts are not exactly flying off the shelves.
If it were not for Stephen organizing all these parts and keeping them all
safe who knows
where all this stuff might have ended up.
Hell, a large majority if it might have ended up as metal scrap!
They would be selling DeLorean hood coffee tables at the flea market or
something!

As far as their licensing of the "DMC" name, I suppose he was given a
blessing from JZD,
and the good side of them regulating the name, logo and image likeness of
the car they would
make sure that toy manufacturers get the car accurate, and might prevent the
image of the
car from being shown in a negative light.

All that said, I would like to offer you this question.
If you are more righteous than thou, what have you done for the DeLorean
community
that allows you to judge another?
Explain to all of us how it is you deserve to be honored and to allow you to
speak
negatively of DMCH?
Unless they have done something to you personally, I would think your
opinions are worthless.

- Videobob

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:41:53 -0500
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...

Well said, David!  Last time I checked, "the love of the car" didn't pay too
well.  If I could take a hobby I'm passionate about and weave it into a
full-time business that supports me and my family, I would be one happy guy.
I applaud those like Stephen who can pull off what most of us can only dream
about.  Perhaps it is easier for some people to resent this success rather
than commend it.

I am also sick of the "anyone who dares make a profit is evil" mentality
that seems to be so trendy lately.  Everyone is against "big business",
whatever that is.  Capitalism built this country.  "Go ahead and make a
profit...but not too much!"  It seems as long as there's someone bigger or
more successful than you, you're ok.  Make it to the top and you're fair
game for the protestors de jour.

Sorry for the rant.  And now back to your regularly scheduled hot start
questions.   :-)

Al

Since when did the word "Profit" become a dirty word?

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:02:12 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

>>  I plan on keeping the car after they total it and based on the
>> widespread distruction my agent advises they may allow me to do so

free of

>> charge. They have so many cars to haul out of here its a logisitcal
>> nightmare.
>>  Looking to rebuild and move on I may be moving to Germany with a

new job

>> soon. I can't wait to tool around on the Autobahn in my new

DeLorean, this

>> time make it a turbo!
>>  Signing off for now,
>> Jeff Phillips
>> #No Vin

I'm sorry to hear this.. but actually, even though your insurance
company totaled the car, you'd be suprised as to what can be salvaged
after a flood. I bet the car could be made roadworthy again for possibly
as little as $2k, depending on how mechanically inclined you are and
how much of the work needed you can do yourself.  But remember this..
The longer the car sits untouched after being flooded, the more it will
cost and the harder it will be to restore it as it continues to deteiorate.

I realize that if you lost everything in the flood, then your probably a lot
more interested in trying to put your life back together than worrying
about a car. But if you are planning on rebuilding the D, then you should
get the process underway as soon as you can or it will cost a fortune..
especially if the frame starts rusting from the epoxy being cracked in
places that normally don't get wet.

Chris
VIN# 3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/