Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2851
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:10 Sep 2005 14:36:58 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: Production twin turbo PRV
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: Re: air filter
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

6. Re: Re: air filter
From: François Laplante <laplanca_at_dml_videotron.ca>

7. RE: Hard start issue?
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

8. Re: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

10. DeLorean Rendering in Automobile Magazine
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

11. Better turbochagers? What's all this then?
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

12. BTTF drive-in showing in Bowie MD
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. The Coastline Car Classic
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Prototype1 model
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Car Show Reminder: Southern California DeLorean Owners this Sunday
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>

16. Re: What's the Air Filter for our cars?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. Re: Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: Re: OVERHEATING?
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Hard start issue?
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

23. Orphan Car Meet
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

24. Re: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

25. RE: Hard start issue?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:15:17 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...

I see this all as positive press for the DeLorean name, similar to
when the New York Times featured Rob Grady.  Maybe this too will help
to erase the bad press that many remember regarding our cars.  As for
Stephen, more power to him.  Being featured in Forbes is a great honor.

I'd like to think that JZD would be proud about such a positive
article regarding his car in a major business magazine such as Forbes.

My $.02
-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Production twin turbo PRV

Wait a minute!
The day we hear about the Forbes article
( http://www.terradisedesign.com/delorean/stephen1.htm - or here:
http://www.dfwdmc.com/media/Forbes_0905_DMCH.pdf )
that boasts a possible new 300 & 400 hp engine offered by DMCH via Venturi... is
the same day you post about a 600hp Venturi engine...? [tounge in cheek now] are
you the new SonnyV ?   :-)   Just kidding.

The Forbes article states the stock HP is 135hp.
- 60hp more cost an extra $5,300 (DMCH's 195hp engine) .
- 165hp more "might" cost an extra $10,000 (via the DMCH/Venturi 300hp engine).
I'd hate to see what the 600hp upgrade would cost. After the 300hp engine comes
out (if it is infact only 10k) one would be silly to purchase 60 extra horses for
$5,300.

Shannon Y
16506

---------------------
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:07:41 -0000
   From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hello all,

First, I almost sure that the A610 Alpine never had a twin turbo,
this setup was only used on some competition cars.

Do you want to see one of the best engine evolution ? Would you want
650hp in your DeLorean ?
Just go and see these pics and enjoy :
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2128.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2573.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2572.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/3714.jpg

http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/3411.jpg
http://communaute.venturi.free.fr/uploads/photos/2695.jpg
Yes, there is an engine somewhere...  ;-)

Just visit this great web site and you will see what Frenchies can
do with an engine...  ;-)
For the Venturi 260 : 260hp and 431Nm, Venturi 600 : 600hp and 686Nm.
The "only" big problem is... ...the price.  :-(

Best regards from France,

Chris.
#04271/DL1981.

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:36:43 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: air filter

Thanks, But I have several cross reference lists that are old, but neither
here or there some folks will spend a Saturday and more money in gas trying
to fine a part which can be done with a phone call to me or another Delorean
parts vendor. Our car parts are 25+ years old and with the local auto stores
on the corner they have to carry and plan on fast moving items. Investors
are really the one ruling the companies with bottom line profit and
turnover.
That's why if you will plan a little bit on what you want to do this week
end you can normally call a DeLorean Parts vendor and have it.
Believe me, I spend a lot of time building parts and rebuilding parts that
are hard to fine or just very expensive. I also spend a lot of time phoning
and bringing parts in from vendors from the US or over seas.
That's why as an independent Delorean Parts vendor I do a lot of the work
for you. I'm selling convince. So the bottom line is I like what I do, I
like the cars and I do make a profit.

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH in latest issue of Forbes...

I presented some facts, and gave my opinion on them.

Did I pass judgment?  Or did I provide information for
people to make their own judgments?

And where in my message about the Forbes article did I
say something was BAD?  It is great how people respond
to my posts with their whacked-out interpretations and
then things I never said get attributed to me!

When did I ask to be honored?

Freedom of speech is what allows me to speak about
DMCH (Negative, or otherwise..  Even though NONE OF
THIS POST WAS NEGATIVE!)

They have done nothing to me personally.  I have no
vendetta against them.  No agenda...   If I did, then
my opinions would not be worthless??  I think the
opposite would be true.

James and Stephen has always been nice to me.  Yes,
there have been jokes at my expense but I think James
knows I can take it.

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:51:17 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw

Oops, didn't realize it was way inside like that.  Sorry for wasting
post space.  I will check it out.

>> Paul, If there is no screw down inside the air flow meter where

you inserted

>> the 3mm wrench, Unless someone has one or it isn't down inside the

air flow

>> meter, then you will need to go to the wrecking yard and buy a

similar set

>> up off an early Volvo and carefully take it apart. The screw is a

very fine

>> thread and has a keeper on the bottom of it, so don't pull on it.
>> There is a picture on my fuel reference page as to what it looks

like.

>> John Hervey
>> http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-system-

references.html

Behalf Of

>> sweetp01569
>> Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 9:09 AM
>> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: [DML] Missing Fuel Air Mixture Screw
>>
>> I was about to check into the fuel air mixture for my idle

problem.

>> After pulling the plastic plug from the hole, I come to find out
>> that I have no fuel-air mixture screw!  My 3 mm allan wrench

simply

>> passes through the open hole to the air flap mechanism (sorry for
>> the nontechnical term for this).  A little hard to adjust without

>> screw!
>>
>> Is there a replacement for this (the parts manual just indicates

the

>> rubber plug), or can I buy at a local hardware store?  Also, it
>> looked like there were no threads in the hole.  Do I need to tap

it?

>> Anyone else come across this?
>>
>> To refresh, my idling problem is this.  Relatively smooth idle
>> before I changed water pump, plugs, wires, distributor and cap.
>> After the job, my cold idle seems smooth, but when engine reaches
>> temperature, the idle goes up and down, almost stalling then

catches

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:06:02 -0400
From: François Laplante <laplanca_at_dml_videotron.ca>

Ron,

I would be much obliged if you could send me that cross reference list
concerning filters and other "evereday" items we need to keep a De Lorean on
the road.
As a matter of facts, it can be very expensive to import small items in
Canada.

Thank you for the offer,

François Laplante

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: RE: Hard start issue?

John,
It has never died at idle but most of the time it cant find a steady idle. It will drop to 550 appx and jump to 1200 to keep the engine from turning off and then it will slowly correct itself and jump from say 600-900 and keep jumping between those numbers. But i will try the 1/8 turn and see if that helps. thanks

John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:
Based on what your saying, I would adjust the mixture screw clock about
1/8th turn. The air flow meter deflection plate may no be rising the control
plunger high enough to pass fuel to the injectors.
Does the car ever die at Idle or when you let off the gas going to a light.
John Hervey

[incredibly long quote trimmed by astonished moderator]

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:34:17 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Marc Wrote

 I apologize to my friends who asked me to stop
"picking on" the concours event..

Ok Mark apology accepted.
I still like concours
See you next time

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:59:23 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Isn't it impossible for the car to even run with no CO adjusting
screw? -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:45:56 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Rendering in Automobile Magazine

Well, I received my newest issue of Automobile Magazine today and guess  what
I found. On the last page of the magazine, Automobile usually runs a
pictoral series called "Exit Ramp". It is a drawing based on a dream (I dreamed  they
made flying cars, etc). Well this month they ran "I dreamed they had a race
for the dorkiest sports cars of all time". Well guess what, there is what
appears to be a DeLorean right at the top of the portrait, amoung all the Fiat X
1/9's, Triumph Stags, Opel GTs, and even a Bricklin. Who would of thought, a
popular magazine mocking our cars. What is the world coming to?

John Weaver
MSDMC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 18:00:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Better turbochagers? What's all this then?

The recently oft-mentioned Forbes article now seems to be available online
at http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/2005/0919/090.html

>From the article:

"Wynne now charges an extra $5,300 to soup up a model to 195hp. After a
recent meeting with Gildo Pallanca Pastor, race-car driver and owner of a
tiny car company in Monaco called Venturi, Wynne will soon be able to move
up to a 300hp engine with better turbochargers and a wider exhaust
system."

This is the first I've heard of any further updates save for some
murmuring on and off about EFI and/or nitrous, neither one of which it
seems will ever see the light of day.

Stephen and/or James, could you tell us what, if anything, you've got up
your collective sleeve?  Is this something real, or are we looking at
vapourware here?

-andrew

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:10:15 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: BTTF drive-in showing in Bowie MD

For those who were interested, I just an email from the drive-in
owner asking to let him know which friday or saturday night in sept
or october we would prefer to attend the showing. He needs to know
this weekend since he is drafting his sept/oct schedule on monday.
email me offlist ASAP so that I can give him a head count! Thanks and
see you all there.

John #7009

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:05:18 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: The Coastline Car Classic

Greetings.

Are any of you Southern Californians are going to be participating in, or attending the The
Coastline Car Classic in Corona Del Mar this Sunday? It looks like a great venue and I'll be
showing my Delorean (1st car show for me). See www.cdmchamber.com/events/
car_show.asp for details.

If attending, stop by ... would love to chat and thank y'all in person for sharing your
technical knowledge/advice/information!

Geoff

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:40:54 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Prototype1 model

Has anyone talked to Sunstar about amking a prototype1 1:18 model? I
think that it would be cool to complete the collection.

Josh

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:21:13 -0000
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>
Subject: Car Show Reminder: Southern California DeLorean Owners this Sunday

Reminder for Southern California DeLorean Owners,

There will be an auto show in Corona Del Mar this Sunday September 11th from 10am to
4pm.  The show is located right along Pacific Coast Highway.  For those of you who are not
familiar with this area, Corona Del Mar is located between Newport Beach and Laguna
Beach.  From the show, one can take a break from the event and walk directly down to the
beach.  This will be a very nice show with beautiful automobiles and a breathtaking
environment.

The entrance fee per person is $10 and parking is $10.

For those who wish to enter their DeLorean in the show it is $50.

The show parking and general parking are in one lot, so you will still be directly connected
to the show even though some may not enter their DeLoreans for the main event.  All cars
will still be seen and the DeLoreans will gather in a section of the lot.  Afterwards,
DeLorean owners may leave early to drive along Pacific Coast Highway for a scenic tour
and conclude with dinner.

Here is the link for the Corona Del Mar Car Show
http://www.cdmchamber.com/events/car_show.asp

Sincerely,

Tony Hilger
DeLorean Owners Association
http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:25:14 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: What's the Air Filter for our cars?

Purolator number is wrong, the correct # is AF14275

Mark V

On Sep 9, 2005, at 5:36 AM, Cirillo Ronald A NPRI wrote:

>> Sorry about that but it looks like the table I tried to paste in did
>> not copy.  Here is a list of filters that should fit.
>>
>> AC		A815C
>> Bosch		AF235
>> Champion	AF343
>> Crossland	042115
>> FRAM		PH287A
>> NAPA		6112
>> NOPI		AF235
>> Purolator	AF4275
>> Volvo		269308-3
>> WIX		46112
>> World		W27-623
>>
>> Ron

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:50:29 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Totaled DeLorean

Just a little more information. My house and properties were covered not
only in just water by sludge, salt, and sewage (possibly more). #10544 was
in need of massive frame repair before this happened and now is in need of
more than just that. I was surprised to hear that someone repaired a
DeLorean that was submerged for 4 months. While the body and engine may
survive (its hard to get water into many cylinders without the engine
running to suck it in) but the saltwater will wreak havoc on all of the
electronics, computers, and connectors. I'd be afraid that getting the car
running again would be feasible but that difficult and unusual problems
would arrise later down the road.
 If you've never seen first hand the mess that a mississippi mudwater flood
can cause its hard to explain how you jsut can't hose it off and let it dry.
Personally I could salvage other items out of my house like the dishes and
other non-moving/non-electric items, but given the scope of the loss saving
those couple hundred dollars of stuff just isn't worth it.
 I have salvaged some strange sentimental items like my framed 1920 FAA
flight regulations parchment. It will never be the same but will hang back
on the wall one day framed in its tattered state so I can look at it years
from now and remember all of the things that didn't make it. Thanks for all
the good wishes from everyone on the list. I'll be back, but if someone
manages to get a working flux-capacitor do me a favor and check in on me _at_dml_
28 Aug 05.  :)
 Cheers
 Jeff
 "Shiny or not, DeLoreans make crappy lures."

 On 9/9/05, Qume Fox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net> wrote:

>> free of

>> new job

>> DeLorean, this

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: OVERHEATING?

Got a new (different) thermostat today, I'll try that.  The car didn't get much over 220 for more than a coulpe minutes, if that so hoping it should be fine.

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net> wrote:If replacing the thermostat causes overheating either you are not
installing it correctly or it is defective. Even with the self bleeder
installed you SHOULD initially manually bleed the thermostat housing
AND the radiator. 175 is not overheating. In fact the motor is
SUPPOSED to run at 180-190. Overheating would be over 220. You can
check the thermostat. Stick it in a pot of water with a thermometer
and watch it as you heat the water up. You should see it start to open
at around the temp stamped on it. If you are getting bubbles in the
coolant, that is not overheating, you popped a head gasket (from
overheating). This is not what the self-bleeder is for. You will have
to replace the head gaskets and maybe have the heads milled.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, John Podlewski
wrote:

>> Yes, I have the air bleeder installed from specialT-works great.

Shouldn't this prevent any air that may be trapped in the system and
shouldn't it be self bleeding?

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:01:06 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

I have this problem too...
I am somewhat certain it is the TTS, but haven't replaced it yet.
John- turn the mixture screw which way? I don't want to mess up the idle or
mixture too much. And no, my car doesn't die at idle or stopping, runs great
all the time ,just starting in that same temperature range.

-Kevin

On 9/9/05, John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:

>> Based on what your saying, I would adjust the mixture screw clock about
>> 1/8th turn. The air flow meter deflection plate may no be rising the
>> control
>> plunger high enough to pass fuel to the injectors.
>> John Hervey

John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:What is the temperature where your

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:46:11 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

FYI- I *am* planning on keeping the car regardless of whether the title is
tagged salvage or not. Will be transporting it to Kentucky the next weekend
unless someone wants to pay me the $22,000 that the insurance is going to
pay me.
 Jeff

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:50:02 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

 Some one has asked if other DeLoreans were destroyed in the storm. I've
been able to identify 5 DeLorean in and arround the Biloxi area including
mine. None of them to my knowledge are on the DML and unfortunately I've no
way to contact any of them. I'll ask the insurance people about it when I
talk to them tomorrow and provide details on the settlement for all of those
insurance questions that we've fielded on the list in the past. At least now
we'll know how State Farm handles DeLoreans that are totaled.
 Jeff

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:03:46 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!

Marc Levy wrote:

>> I presented some facts, and gave my opinion on them.
>>
>> Did I pass judgment?

Given that Marc Levy's opinion requires no judgment, his opinion must be fact.   Socrates came to this conclusion about 2,400 years ago.  This would make Marc Levy's opinion far superior to our mere human opinions.  But longtime readers of the DML knew this already.

Behold, his superhuman presence graces the DML!

Marc Levy also wrote:

>> And you all thought DMCH were in it for the love of
>> the car.. LOL!!

Allow me to be the first DMLer to thank Mr. Levy for explaining our
thoughts to us.  Without his superior insight, we might never have known that we think this.

Marc Levy also wrote:

>> Now my opinion on the DMCH run Concours event is dead
>> on.

Followed by:

>>  Yikes! I am not sure how you got all of that out of
>>  my comments, but...

Thank goodness Marc Levy is watching us.  Only his superior opinion can
make us understand that criticism is praise.  Perhaps he will also
remind us that freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength.  Clearly
his thoughts arise on a plane higher than our own.

Marc Levy also wrote:

>> They have done nothing to me personally.  I have no
>> vendetta against them.  No agenda...   If I did, then
>> my opinions would not be worthless??  I think the
>> opposite would be true.

Obviously this statement cannot make logical sense to any mere human.  I dare not contemplate the true nature of Marc Levy, for fear he may smite me . . . and my little automobile, too.

Finally, Marc Levy said:

>> When did I ask to be honored?

Such plainspoken humility.  Does anyone dare respect Mr. Levy's wishes
and convey less honor to him?  Surely, not I.

- Mike Substelny
   humbled to be moderating my own messages
  . . . the same week that Marc Levy deigns to post

  "Yes, there have been jokes at my
    expense but I think James
    knows I can take it."  - Marc Levy

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 23:18:11 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Orphan Car Meet

For anyone who is interested there is an orphan car meet this Sunday
in the PDX/Salem Oregon area at the Antique Powerland in Brooks. I
will try to make it there to have my car along side the Studebakers
and Kaisers etc. It would be fun to see a couple Deloreans there. I
was talking to a Studebaker guy that attends every year and he said
that they don't remember ever having a Delorean attend.

Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:15:12 EDT
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!

The best post yet!!!

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:45:52 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

What I do is insert the 3mm long handle idle wrench into the hole and you
will feel it set into the screw head. I normally have the T part of the
handle pointing a about 12 o clock . Now adjust it a small amount counter to
lean and clock to enrich in small steps and don't take the wrench out so you
won't loose your home position.