Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2853
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:11 Sep 2005 14:31:20 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. DoD access
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: The Coastline Car Classic
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

3. Coming to LV
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

4. Re: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

5. Selling my DeLorean 10961 Gray /5 spd
From: <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>

6. Bosch Fuel pump special
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. RE: Hard start issue?
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

8. RE: Hard start issue?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. RE: The Coastline Car Classic
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

11. RE: K&N Oil Filter
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

12. RE: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

13. Re: Anyone got anything clever?
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Re: DMCH in Forbes...
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

15. Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

16. RE: Prototype1 model
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

17. Strobe LEDs
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: DoD access
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

19. Re: Prototype1 model
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Hard start issue?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Two Deloreans at a Car show!
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Re: DMCH in Forbes...
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. update on auto parts for sale
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: air filter
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:09:43 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DoD access

Dear Group,

I posted my information on the DMCNEWS website but have not received a
username and password to the Owners Directory. I was just wondering if
anyone knows how long it takes to receive access? I'd like to see
where other New York owners are located. Thanks!

Daniel

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:43:47 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: The Coastline Car Classic

I'm in the area on a business/pleasure trip.  I'll see you there.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:58:04 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Coming to LV

We will be at the SEMA conference in LV.   Any other Delorean owners
want to get together that week?

Bob,  Gail and Ryan

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:13:57 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!

In a message dated 9/10/2005 1:16:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu writes:
Given that Marc Levy's opinion requires no judgment, his opinion must be
fact.   Socrates came to this conclusion about 2,400 years ago.  This would make
Marc Levy's opinion far superior to our mere human opinions.  But longtime
readers of the DML knew this already.

Behold, his superhuman presence graces the DML!>>

Having a bad day, Mike?  I've never seen such mean spirited sarcasm from a
moderator... or from Marc either. If you think his post is worthy of ridicule...
tell him, not the whole DML community.  Personally I thought some of the
without a moderator jumping in to sucker punch Marc too.
Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:59:27 -0400
From: <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>
Subject: Selling my DeLorean 10961 Gray /5 spd

After 6 1/2 years, I'm selling my D.  I've had a great time with her but I
just don't use her anymore.  Gray interior / 5 speed, she's in excellent
condition in Naugatuck, CT.  29,879 miles.

Call 203-597-7355 cell or 203-723-4884 home.  $18,000

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:01:37 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Bosch Fuel pump special

Group,
I almost forgot the September special.
I have about 10 to 15 of the new Bosch 957 fuel pumps I'm putting on
special this month while they last. The are brand new for $130.00 ea
compaired to others at $199.00 ea.
Good while supply last. Our regular Heavy duty Special T pump is
Normally $109.95 ea .
John Hervey
  http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:15:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: RE: Hard start issue?

John,

I tried inserting the idle wrench into the hole, but there is a piece of metal in the way, like it came from the factory like that. I made a post on Tamirs forum and i got a response that you have to drill the metal to get the idle wrench down. Let me know, thanks

John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:
Make sure the 3 idle screws on the throttle body are screwed down and double
check the idle speed motor and the switch that turns it on.

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:54:45 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Yes, If it still has the original plug you will have to drill it out.

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:27:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Great! Sounds like at least a few afficianoados, and
at least two Deloreans will be in attendance.

See you there!

- Geoff 10718
(BKNTYME)

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:33:38 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

I respectfully disagree...I think that Mike's response to Marc was a
friendly jab.  If Marc can dish it, he should be able to take it.  I
don't think it's out of line for people to `feel the love' every once
in a while; it helps to create a little personality.  Besides….it was
funny!

Mike & Marc….thanks!  You guys crack me up!

Oh…something DeLorean related….uh….oh yes!  I thought the Forbes
article on DMCH was excellent press.  Anyone willing to invest large
sums of money and put their butt on the line for a very niche market
IS doing it for the love.

MHO
Dave Jacobs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> In a message dated 9/10/2005 1:16:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>> msubstel_at_dml_l... writes:
>> Given that Marc Levy's opinion requires no judgment, his opinion

must be

>> fact.   Socrates came to this conclusion about 2,400 years ago.

This would make

>> Marc Levy's opinion far superior to our mere human opinions.  But

longtime

>> readers of the DML knew this already.
>>
>> Behold, his superhuman presence graces the DML!>>
>>
>> Having a bad day, Mike?  I've never seen such mean spirited sarcasm

from a

>> moderator... or from Marc either. If you think his post is worthy of

ridicule...

>> tell him, not the whole DML community.  Personally I thought some of

the top,

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:54:34 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: K&N Oil Filter

I've used them and find them to be pretty nice.

HP-2009 is the Delorean filter.  I liked it because it's thin and had ALOT
better clearance between the filter and oil sender unit.

Nothing beats the one that DMC recommends but a nice "performance" filter.
I believe it did a great filtering job in my performance uses.

Try one out.  It does look nice too!

Jeff in NC

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:09:32 -0400
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

Mike,

I thought personal attacks and flame wars were not allowed on the DML?  I
have been on many discussion groups and while some moderators will abuse
their power from time to time, I find this example absolutely appalling.
There is no better way for a moderator to lose credibility than to make
certain requirements of the list members, and then blatantly abuse their own
power right in from of everyone.

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the man, the car or the company.
All you did was attack a list member, and used your power to get your post
on the list.  Have you ever rejected a post from someone doing exactly as
you have done here?  Do you always take such time and effort and abuse your
power to attack other people you don't agree with?

Based on moderator notes added to previous posts, it would seem your post
should have been rejected with advice to send it off list.  Personally, I
think you should be removed from moderator status with that little childish
outburst, especially since you bragged about the way in which you got the
message through to the list.

No I am not defending Marc; he can do that well enough on his own.

Greg

Marc Levy also wrote:

>> And you all thought DMCH were in it for the love of
>> the car.. LOL!!

Allow me to be the first DMLer to thank Mr. Levy for explaining our
thoughts to us.  Without his superior insight, we might never have known
that we think this.

Marc Levy also wrote:

>> Now my opinion on the DMCH run Concours event is dead
>> on.

Followed by:

>>  Yikes! I am not sure how you got all of that out of
>>  my comments, but...

Thank goodness Marc Levy is watching us.  Only his superior opinion can
make us understand that criticism is praise.  Perhaps he will also
remind us that freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength.  Clearly
his thoughts arise on a plane higher than our own.

Marc Levy also wrote:

>> They have done nothing to me personally.  I have no
>> vendetta against them.  No agenda...   If I did, then
>> my opinions would not be worthless??  I think the
>> opposite would be true.

Obviously this statement cannot make logical sense to any mere human.  I
dare not contemplate the true nature of Marc Levy, for fear he may smite me
. . . and my little automobile, too.

Finally, Marc Levy said:

>> When did I ask to be honored?

Such plainspoken humility.  Does anyone dare respect Mr. Levy's wishes
and convey less honor to him?  Surely, not I.

- Mike Substelny
   humbled to be moderating my own messages
  . . . the same week that Marc Levy deigns to post

  "Yes, there have been jokes at my
    expense but I think James
    knows I can take it."  - Marc Levy

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:59:17 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone got anything clever?

Warren,

The way you handle that is probably the funniest I've heard yet!

Jeff in NC

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:08:19 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: DMCH in Forbes...

Louie wrote:

>>Also keep in mind Stephen Wynne and DMC-Texas have probably done
>>more for the DeLorean marque than anyone else in the last two
>>decades. DMC-Texas has repetedly gotten the car into the press in a
>>positive way, they keep reproducing rare/extinct parts, and come up
>>with solutions for problem areas that face all DeLorean owners.
>>People gripe about their hi/po engines being expensive, but for
>>roughly the same power output they cost many thousands less than the
>>island turbo alternative. Not to mention their engine upgrades are
>>easier on your engine (how many turbo cars have we all seen that
>>have health problems?). I know your hobby is to rip on DMC-Texas,
>>Marc... but your arguments against them have always been really
>>hollow and easily refuted.
>>
>>Louie Golden
>>#5252 Charlotte, NC

I've been trying to figure out the best and cheapest ways to boost the
performance of my own D engine while it's out so i'll chime in on
this..  DMCH's performance engine actually isn't priced bad when someone
else is doing the work..  After all.. If you carried your D to a race
shop and said "Make this 200hp without altering the engine's appearance"
then I believe you'd be looking at a price tag in excess of $10k for
them to take the engine out, port the heads, build a tuned exhaust, dyno
the motor, etc.

 However.... what I don't care for is the fact they won't sell the
performance parts they use (other than the exhaust) to DIY'ers like me..
And actually i've looked around, and I can't even find anywhere where
they even SAY what exactly they do to their performance engines..   I
know things like porting heads is a bit beyond most people's abilities..
But if DMCH uses things like custom cams, etc, then I would really like
to see said items offered for sale.. Even if they were grossly
overpriced, it's still better than being out $5250 (+ shipping costs to
get my D down to texas and back) and being without my D for who knows
how long AFTER I finally get it back together.. (hopefully by the end of
the year. :P )

I guess this kinda turned me ranting as well.. but oh well. I figure
they'll either eventually offer the performance parts they likly use
(and I say likly because.. who knows.. for all I know they could just
slap on a new exhaust, though I find it hard to believe that alone will
net the +65hp they claim.. probably 40 or so tops.)  and make some money
off me, or continue with how they offer it now, in which case they'll
make 0, at least off of that aspect, though the only thing I can think
of  off the top of my head that I absolutly have to buy from them are
the lowering springs.. I think I can find everything else i'll need to
finish my D from other places cheaper.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:16:25 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Totaled DeLorean

Jeff,

I was just at DMCF this past week and they had a Delorean that had been in a
flood.

Let me tell you,

That thing looked so good I'd swear it was a show car that had never been
damaged!  Ask Tony to send pics of the car they restored.  It CAN be done
and quite affordable.  Not sure exactly what the customer spent but they put
on a crate Stage II engine with the NEW Jet Hot Exhaust which has a warranty
(the older ones weren't coated right and rusted...the new ones are just
breathtaking!)  The interior had the new seats and looked immaculate.  The
little details just blew me away.   They were able to save the original
tranny and cleaned it up so good it looked right off the shelf.

They had the frame so clean it looked like the car had maybe seen water only
once or twice in it's life instead of being hit with about 3 feet of water.
The suspension and everything was just so...clean.  Car looked like it only
had a few thousand miles on it.

As I said, Not sure how much money was involved but I quarantee you that the
insurance money will pay for the rebuild and if you play your hand carefully
you can come out of this with a good title.

Don't take my word for it.  Call up Tony and ask him to show you...see for
yourself.  The car can be saved!!

(also named) Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:20:22 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Prototype1 model

Not only would the prototype be a cool model but "pre-production" may still
be out there.  I saw it in a book next to Prototype 1.  It had the exact
same style wheel but no slits for brake dust to go through.  It was solid
and looked quite cool.  It's windows were also the sliding type I believe.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:32:20 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Strobe LEDs

I am sure that is not legal to have the strobes on the outside, but I have
seen them on the door lights and it looked great! SO... how do I get the
flashing strobes? Project Vixen has them I think.

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:41:25 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: DoD access

     I can answer that since I'm keeper of the Directory.

I usually do them in batches. The process is not automated. I check to
make sure the requestors have already submitted their entry to the
Directory before I send them access information (that's the only
requirement). I've got 8 requests right now so I'll be doing them
tonight.

Ken M

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:49:29 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Great! I will work on some drafts this week. However I don't have
any good photos of the car so if anyone can pitch in those maybe we
could get this thing going. Thanks Stephen.

Josh

wrote:

model? I

>> I have contacts at the factory in China in the R&D area whom I'd

be

>> happy to pass along any well-written proposal (with photos) to

them

>> about the Prototype car. Whatever is presented would have to be
>> convincing enough to appear that it would be a commercial success,

as

>> Sunstar has recently deleted the Gold DeLorean (#2702) from their
>> catalog due to poor sales.
>>
>> FYI: Sunstar actually has one more 1:18 vehicle in the DeLorean

line

>> coming out next year -- #2714: the BTTF3 time machine (railroad

wheels

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:09:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Your technique is a little off. You have to remove the wrench and plug
the hole to see if the mixture is set correctly. If not you then
unplug the hole, reinsert the wrench, and give it another tweak. The
weight of the wrench also messes up the setting so it really does have
to be removed. The adjustment is VERY sensitive, it has to be tweaked
in less than 1/8 turn increments. Before touching the mixture screw
you should also check the centering of the air sensor plate to be sure
it is not touching the sides of the venturi. It is very difficult to
get the mixture set if the plate rubs the sides. The mixture screw is
to be set ONLY AFTER ALL OTHER PARTS BEING REPLACED AND ALL OTHER
ADJUSTMENTS. In many cases you should find (unless the mixture was
already messed with) that replacing all the old parts and doing all
the other adjustments, the mixture doesn't have to be changed. Do not
try to adjust for vacuum leaks. They have to be fixed. Unless the
mixture is WAY off it has little effect on starting. Do not try to fix
a hard start problem by "adjusting" it away. Start with the obvious,
the systems that are activated during a cold start. Like the cold
start system, including the valve, the TTS, the wiring, and the
connectors. BTW do not attempt to adjust the mixture if the Lambda is
not fuctioning. Check it first to be sure it is running.

>> What I do is insert the 3mm long handle idle wrench into the hole

and you

>> will feel it set into the screw head. I normally have the T part of the
>> handle pointing a about 12 o clock . Now adjust it a small amount

counter to

>> lean and clock to enrich in small steps and don't take the wrench

out so you

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 04:06:10 -0000
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Two Deloreans at a Car show!

Today, my dad told me that he was driving past a car show and looked
over and saw two DeLoreans... it was the Bob Pulte Annual Car Show in
Lebanon, OH. Just wondering if they belonged to anyone here??

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

... Read my other responses.   Your way off base.

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: I come to praise Marc Levy, not to bury him!

Would I be stating the obvious if I said this was
moderator abuse?

I guess this goes under the "special rules for Marc
Levy" we discussed back in June...  Maybe "for" is
incorrect, because apparently the special rules are
for anything about me as well.

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 04:53:53 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: update on auto parts for sale

These are the parts I have two are from extar 5-speed parts I didn't
need. Make an offer, since not all of the parts, aside from the
interior sections are in tip top shape I don't have a set price...
Pressure plate 102753 Clutch disk 102512 Torque converter 103753 Flex
plate 102065 housing shifter automatic 105427 mounting braket CVR
110107 cover shifter lower 101918 Lever automatic shifter 110095 Cover
shifter upper 110103 Pedal box automatic 101657

contact me by my yahoo mail, MyDmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com best way to get me is
by my cell phone which is 570-328-1363 or home # which is 570-331-8456

Thanks,
Darryl

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:30:28 -0000
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: air filter

Ron,

Would you be good enough to e mail me a copy of this document to. My
e mail is; chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk

Thanks in advance.
Chris

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Cirillo Ronald A NPRI
<cirillora_at_dml_n...> wrote:

>> John,
>>
>> I have an old cross reference document that I can send to you or

anyone else that wants it.  I don't think attachments will go
through to the list so e-mail personally and I will send it to you
in a Microsoft Word document.

wrote:

> [...]

Never