Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2856
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:12 Sep 2005 20:06:35 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: distributor cap and rotor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

3. RE: distributor cap and rotor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: DMCH in Forbes...
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

5. Re: Radio
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

6. RE: Re: Bosch Fuel pump special
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. RE: Re: Ultimate 1/24 Scale DeLorean Model
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

8. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "brentbeecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Ultimate 1/24 Scale DeLorean Model
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

11. Re: Radio
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

12. Restored #2466 DeLorean For Sale
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. RE: DMCH in Forbes...
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

14. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Radio
From: "mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net" <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

16. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

19. Re: Engine Compartment Cover Hinges
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

22. Re: Production twin turbo PRV
From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "brentbeecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:57:29 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: distributor cap and rotor

Paul, The tube going inside the air flow meter doesn't have to be greased.
But I do it in the shop to insure the tube doesn't push the O ring out when
inserting. If you are going to which I do suggest I use a small amount of
axel grease on both the tube and around the o ring. The o ring is the most
important and again doesn't have to be greased.
We also have the complete set of manuals with laminated wiring diagrams for
$99.00 if you don't have them. This mechanic trick normally isn't in the
books.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:08:27 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Hey Brent...

I am really sorry to hear about your car!  Please keep us posted as to
what plays out with the recovery of your car.  It can't be too hard to
spot!

Good luck!
Dave Jacobs

P.S.  It was good seeing you yesterday.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "brentbeecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Well, damn.  I woke up this morning and 892 was no longer parked in

front of my house.  It

>> was not towed.  Oddly enough, I was just at a PNDC tech session

yesterday, and it had gotten

>> a thorough once over by Rob Grady (who happened to be in Seattle),

and I had a list of

>> projects in the hopper.  For anyone who was at that tech session and

saw the condition of my

>> passenger-side TAB, you will know that anyone who was fleeing the

crime scene at speed did

>> so at his own peril.  I have never before hoped my TAB would break.

 So, it's been a good

>> ride.  If you happen to notice my car for sale, I would really

appreciate a headsup.  Early 81,

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:10:28 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I also don't remove the fuel lines. You can normally just undo the fuel
system strattling arms and the W pipe or horns up front and then you can
move the complete system forward and up. This will allow you enough room to
replace the cap and rotor.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:16:20 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH in Forbes...

I would imagine, based on what I do know about the DMCH engine
upgrade, that they dont' offer the upgrade as a DIY kit because of
liability.  I believe that the update is much more than just bolting
on cams, and requires some expert tuning and tweaking in order to get
the cams and other parts working properly.

$0.02
Dave Jacobs

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

> [...]

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:17:49 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Radio

FWIW Dept re your radio.   When I got mine, it was from the original owner
who NEVER ran a radio and it did not work.  I am the same.....NEVER run a
radio...partly due to a severe hearing impairment.  After a year or so, I
decided it should be fixed anyway.   The Tech took his shoes off and stood
on his head under the drivers side of the dash.  There are two in line fuses
coming out of the radio and it appeared that neither one had been installed
at athe factory!!   The radio had NEVER been worked on since the car was
new...he replaced the fuses and it worked like new!!   Of course maybe mine
was the only one they missed but worth a quick check.
Murray
VIN:  05962
LIC:   DMC-XII

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:20:53 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Bosch Fuel pump special

No, I don't have a picture of one, but normally the white ones will turn
brown and start to stop up due to the 30 micron filtering. The green ones
are 60 micron which is 10 micron smaller than the original filters were.
Just look for build up of trash and varnish.
The more build up on the filter screen causes more strain on the pump and
fuel pressure.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:30:37 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: RE: Re: Ultimate 1/24 Scale DeLorean Model

John,

That is a fantastic model.  Your research must have been very thorough.
Do you own a full-sized 1981 DeLorean, or do you just know every inch of
one as well as an owner would?

If there were such a thing as a concours competition for 1/24th scale
DeLorean models yours would probably dominate the field.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:42:24 -0000
From: "brentbeecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks.  No, the car was locked, and I still have all the keys.  I don't know how (relatively)
easy it is to steal a Delorean.  There was no broken glass, and the car is gone.  Other than
that, I have no idea.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:40:11 EDT
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

Sorry to hear about your car. Was it insured?  I guess this is the  case for
LoJack.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:04:00 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Ultimate 1/24 Scale DeLorean Model

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_l...> wrote:

>> John,
>>
>> That is a fantastic model.  Your research must have been very thorough.
>> Do you own a full-sized 1981 DeLorean, or do you just know every inch of
>> one as well as an owner would?
>>
>> If there were such a thing as a concours competition for 1/24th scale
>> DeLorean models yours would probably dominate the field.
>>
>> - Mike Substelny

I do now finally own a "real" '81 (though a 5-speed w/o gas flap) as
of about 6 weeks ago.  I just finally got license plates for it!
Having studied the car's structure for so many years has made working
on it a little easier.  It's great to see some detail I made in the
model 11 years ago on my own car.  I've collected about every
book/magazine/brochure out there, and I was active in the DeLorean
Owner's Association from about 1993-1998.  I visited DeLorean One in
CA when I was about 15 to see some cars in various stages of
disassembly. It blew me away.  I look forward to seeing any other
DeLorean service center in the future.  There are still some surprises
though, especially relating to the engine.  Nothing beats hands-on
experience.

Thanks for the kind words!

-John

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:21:48 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

If you can remove your radio through the front, then a previous owner
modified/replaced the metal frame.  The stock radio was the dual-shaft
type and had to be installed from the back of the panel.  Many owners have
cut this opening to allow the installation of a modern radio.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:02:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Restored #2466 DeLorean For Sale

Black interior gas-flap automatic. Some of you may recall my "finding a
car in a barn after Pigeon Forge" story last summer. After about a year
of weekends (and a bunch of parts), it's done.

This was a pretty nice car to start with, but had the typical long-term
storage ills (frozen brakes, bad gas, etc). I honestly can't imagine
the work and expense required to do this level of work to a truly nasty
car.

All the details and photos here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/2466forsale.html

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:26:17 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:27:40 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Someone told me that there are only a few key codes, and that if you have a
few copies of various ones that one or the other might work.
I don't know how true that it is.
- VB

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:43:49 -0400
From: "mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net" <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

That makes more sense...  I wondered about that since my stock radio was
never very "secure" in it's location (a lot of play).  The shafts simply
bolted to the radio faceplate, which was edged into the opening send
kept tight by the mounting bracket in behind.  When I replaced the stock
radio with a newer one, I saw that the opening was a DIN-sized
(approximately) rectangle, rather than the solid plate with two-shaft
holes & a small cut-out as I had experienced in other older cars.  Looks
like the p.o. of my car at some point had a newer radio installed at
some point...

- ed
1982 DMC-12 (11594) in Toronto

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:25:57 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Any chance it might have been an inside job?
Someone who attended the tech session that needed parts, knew where you
lived, etc?
Unless it was kids going on a joy ride, it would have been stolen on demand
for someone
looking for parts.
- VB

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:31:17 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Hello:  I am truly sorry for your loss.  My car's vin is 0893 and  I recently
installed the alarm system, along with the door poppers from  Toby.  I also
had a kill switch installed, hidden simple thing, for car  shows.  Hopefully
someone will find the lousy oxygen thief who stole your  car and do to him what
needs to be done.  Like another contributor said it  must be an on demand
theft  where there is market.  I cannot imagine  someone trying to register it.

Roy #0893 (younger sibling of 0892)

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:27:56 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

VB - Did you actually ask this question?  I don't know how things are
done in your neck of the woods, but PNDC is not a group of car
thieves looking for parts from fellow member's cars.  Please!  Our
club tech sessions are attended by club members only, and we had the
opportunity of having Rob Grady with us at this particular session.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com
and proud member of PNDC since 1988.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:28:51 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Compartment Cover Hinges

Hey,

If you're talking about the engine cover hinges, Grady has them.  Just
call him up because apparently they're hand made and cost either $100
a hinge or for a set...can't remember exactly but just call and he'll
fill you in.  I was checking into getting them as well but am holding
off till I finish restoring the rest of my car  :)

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:49:54 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

No offense to you or your members Toby...I don't know who could have
atended.
I don't know if someone might have brought some friends along, or someone
could have
come along as a newbie that no one knew, or where you live, or who you know.
I am just offering suggestions.
I mean, who would think to steal a DeLorean?
It is one of the highest profile cars around and a pro thief would know not
to mess with it
because moving the parts would be tough.
So unless it is kids messing around I think it could be another owner
stealing parts.
Who knows?
I remember Mike Pack telling me a story about finding a kid in his yard
stealing parts
off of his cars.
Stranger things have happened!
Sorry Toby, no offense meant.
- VB

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:51:09 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

I also am sorry for your loss.  Hopefully the car will resurface once
the thief realizes they cant easily hide a Delorean.

On a caution side, for those who cant afford alarms the locking gas caps
are making a big comeback (especially since gas prices have risen, and
people steal gas).  I wonder which ones will fit the D- or are they all
the same?

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:02:02 -0000
From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Production twin turbo PRV

Hello Martin,

Sorry, I just add this precision because I believed that you said it
as a generality.  ;-)
The A610 produce 250hp that is enough for the DeLorean IMO.
The Safrane twin turbo was not the only twin turbo engine in
production, Venturi produce their engine like Renault even if it was
not in the same amount of production.
At the beginning, the Safrane twin turbo engine was developed by
Hartge, it took ages to the German company to made this engine so the
BEREX had to finish the job for Renault.

About the Venturi "hybrids" engines, I'm sure that a lot of people
would like to have one, Venturi used the same way as all other race
specialists do : take a big block, change pistons, rods, heads, cams,
valves, etc… and made all working together and I'm not sure that
DMCH
do not use the same way to build their engines. As far that I know, I
do not know any other PRV delivering more than 400hp and with a
mileage greater than 100.000kms.
Why should we not used this way to improve our cars ? Personally, it
does not matter if the engine is "hybrid" or not if I get what I
want. It is just my opinion.

I had the chance to use several cars on race circuit, Alpine V6 Turbo
Europa Cup, Alpine A610 Turbo, Venturi 260 APC, Venturi 260
Atlantique, Venturi Atlantique 300 and Venturi 400 Trophy so I can
compare them between each other. I think that 250-300hp is the best
solution for the DeLorean, it is not really easy to use efficiently
more than 400hp on a regular car.

Best regards from France,

Chris.
#04271/DL1981

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> [Moderator Note:  I realize this has strayed a bit off topic, but

the subject seems to have some historic value so I'm letting it run
for a while.  Please hold back your complaints, I won't let this
subject go on forever.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

>> I never said it did. The only production twin turbo PRV was in the
>> Safrane Bi-turbo which also had the balance shaft - something the

A610

>> didn't. I don't know for sure but would guess the Saf also has

hydraulic

>> tappets - the A610 doesn't

want

>> While Venturi did produce a couple of wierd and wonderful PRV

hybrids,

>> they were just that:  hybrids. The 260 had a late 2.8 litre 25

turbo

>> engine (which if the pistons were still available would be the best
>> solution to turbocharging the DeLorean engine). The Atlantique 300

at

>> 281bhp was the most powerful of the 12v's a but was a hybrid of the

25

>> turbo / GTA heads on a 3 litre bottom end giving it 7.6:12

compression

>> and the ability to run over a bar of boost. These were all single

turbo

>> The 600LM is a blinking LeMans car! It's a 3 litre bottom end mated

>> heads from a Peugeot 605/ Citroen XM 24v with proprietary

cams/lifters.

>> In roadgoing form it knocked out 400bhp but the engine is still a

hybrid

>> and was produced in really small numbers. This is the only other

twin

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:05:20 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yeah no kidding. I am sure there was club member that saw the car had
a new shift boot and decided that he might as well take the whole
car. Duh!

Peter Kuchan

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:09:47 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

Fortunately this seems to be a very rare occurance. It's a very identifiable
car, but old enough that chop shops are unlikely to be interested. Hopefully
just kids joyriding, and hopefully it will be recovered intact. Good luck.

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:16:57 -0000
From: "brentbeecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Uhhh... yeah- I agree 100% with Toby.  It was NOT anyone at PNDC.  I
just re-read my first
post, and if there was even so much as a whiff that I was suggesting
a connection, it was
entirely unintentional.  I mentioned the tech session only because
the car thought it had
died and gone to heaven with so much professional advice being
showered on it, and my
plans for future work stood in such stark contrast with this
morning's unpleasant surprise.

Brent Beecher