Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2858
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:13 Sep 2005 02:52:44 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Ultimate 1/24 Scale DeLorean Model
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

3. RE: DMCH in Forbes...
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Production twin turbo PRV
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

9. Down for season
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

10. Re: Engine Compartment Cover Hinges
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. big fan, i would like to be in the know
From: "samuelisaza" <samuelisaza_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. Exhaust smell any ideas?
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

15. Re: Production twin turbo PRV
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. DCS Museum
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Clean out fuel distributor?
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Door Handles
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

21. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: DMCH in Forbes...
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

24. Re: distributor cap and rotor
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

25. Re: distributor cap and rotor
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:10:09 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ultimate 1/24 Scale DeLorean Model

It would have been neat for Mr. DeLorean himself see your
workmenship. It's hard to imagine that that is a scale model and the
real thing.

Josh
10989

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_n...>

<msubstel_at_dml_l...> wrote:

> [...]

thorough.

inch of

scale

>> I do now finally own a "real" '81 (though a 5-speed w/o gas flap)

as

>> of about 6 weeks ago.  I just finally got license plates for it!
>> Having studied the car's structure for so many years has made

working

>> on it a little easier.  It's great to see some detail I made in the
>> model 11 years ago on my own car.  I've collected about every
>> book/magazine/brochure out there, and I was active in the DeLorean
>> Owner's Association from about 1993-1998.  I visited DeLorean One

in

>> CA when I was about 15 to see some cars in various stages of
>> disassembly. It blew me away.  I look forward to seeing any other
>> DeLorean service center in the future.  There are still some

surprises

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:24:17 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Brent,
     If I were you, not only would I contact the police, but I would
call up every local news channel.  SOMEONE had to see the car.  This
is a car that many people remember and are interested in.  If the
news channels are short on footage, they might very well throw in a
short bit about a stolen "80's Icon".  I'd be frantic if I were in
your position.

Like I said, SOMEONE knows SOMETHING about your car, be it a friend
of whoever stole it, someone who saw it pulling into a warehouse,
etc.  I'd get on that ASAP.

Sorry to hear the sad news.  Don't give up hope.
-Patrick C.
1880

On Sep 12, 2005, at 10:38 AM, brentbeecher wrote:

>> Well, damn.  I woke up this morning and 892 was no longer parked in
>> front of my house.

Patrick Conlon

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:30:29 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH in Forbes...

Tom, Some of the parts are aftermarket but most or new OE and the ones that
are aftermarket are made to or better than OE because they have had time to
improve the quality.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:58:05 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Unless you have a flap hood, you don't really need a locking cap.
If they get the hood open, they are already inside....and you have bigger
problems than
loosing up to 10 gallons of gas.
They will burn the gas when they drive your car off!
- VB

>>From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
>>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>>Subject: RE: [DML] Re: Stolen in Seattle
>>Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:51:09 -0400
>>
>>I also am sorry for your loss.  Hopefully the car will resurface once
>>the thief realizes they cant easily hide a Delorean.
>>
>>On a caution side, for those who cant afford alarms the locking gas caps
>>are making a big comeback (especially since gas prices have risen, and
>>people steal gas).  I wonder which ones will fit the D- or are they all
>>the same?

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:59:29 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Or maybe a left front fender, or hood, or engine, or trans, or wheels.
There are several people who make a nice living selling loose parts (wink).
- VB

>>From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] Re: Stolen in Seattle
>>Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:05:20 -0000
>>
>>Yeah no kidding. I am sure there was club member that saw the car had
>>a new shift boot and decided that he might as well take the whole
>>car. Duh!
>>
>>Peter Kuchan

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:01:04 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Sorry again, I wasn't suggesting it was one of the members.
I didn't pay attention to how private the session was.
I was considering people who come to car shows and take inventory,
and then steal later.
Again, it was just a suggestion.
You never know who is who - people are friggin evil you know.,
- VB

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:59:13 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Production twin turbo PRV

Hey,

What about using the W8 or W12 engines out of the new VW's?  I heard
they were small, compact enough to fit in the D engine bay, and
packed a good punch when it comes to HP.  Might also be a lot cheaper
once they become more abundant eh?

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christophe Vieira"

wrote:

> [...]

to :-

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:01:51 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ

I guess with a near record number of 90+ degree days this summer,
it's not surprising we had another string of 90 degree days for
the DeLorean Midwest Connection Club Tech Session Day(s) this past
weekend and ending with the British Car Union show on Sunday.

A big thanks goes out to Dave and Julee Swingle for saving the day
(again) with a last minute change in venue due to conflicts at the
garage where we had planned to hold the Tech Session on Saturday.
The change of venue did allow for several bonuses, including the
fact that Dave did not have to drive anywhere and drag his boxes of
tools around, we were able to have a BBQ at the same time and we did
not have the 5pm finish time looming, although we did finish by 6pm.
The entire club enjoyed being back at the Midwest Monster Garage.

Since Marty Maier and Ron Wester were coming up early (late Thursday)
a few of us spent the day on Friday working on more time consuming
DeLorean maintenance and modifications, so there would be plenty of
time for the rest of the club to work on their cars on Saturday.
The Screamming Yellow D is now "sitting pretty" with spring spacers,
so Ron does not have to worry about ruining his paint in the fender
wells and my latest DeLorean purchase (two weeks ago), a mild custom
late 83 model, is looking good after a few custom modifications and
rear wheel spacers to allow for a set of "chubby 5-spoke" wheels and
a 16"/17" setup to accent a custom brake kit and lowered suspension.

By Friday night, Jim Reeve (MN) showed up just in time to put his car
on the lift and identify a few items that needed attention besides
the planned steering rack swap.  Saturday morning had at least three
more northern members (WI) show up, with Mark V sporting Jeff Fridays
custom exhaust on his DeLorean (very compact and nice exhaust note)
and another owner from Missouri showed up later Saturday morning.

The only downside was that Dave's lawn was beige and brown instead of
green, due to the drought, so many of the photos taken had much more
"earth tone" backgrounds than many "cars on lawn" photos you see.
I think everyone had plenty to eat/drink during the extended lunch
hour(s) and there was plenty of lawn furniture to relax in between
projects, both in and out of the shade.

Although it was in the low 90's again on Sunday, a few club members
braved the sunny parking lot at the British Car Union show, to show
off their well maintained, stainless steel cars.  To my knowledge,
there were no "insider plots" to steel DeLoreans here this weekend.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:17:44 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Down for season

I think my car is down for the season due to an electrical short that
killed my new battery Sunday. I tried to charge the battery and it was
shorting out my charger.

I diagnosed my problem by removing my battery and connecting my
electrical tester on the negative and positive battery terminals and
started to remove one fuse at a time till i discovered the short. The
short is for my interior and door lights. I have to remove the roof
section because i think that is where the short is because my tester
beeps almost every time i wiggle the door wiring harness. My car is off
the road till next year unless i can kill the short and keep my
interior lights any everything else working. I am not happy because of
this new problem.

Anyways if i cant correct this problem or give it a band-aid it will
give me a jump start at removing my engine and starting my winter
project.

This is a sneaky problem that might just be a problem that others are
having where there battery mystery just goes dead because when i hook
up the new battery everything just seems fine but the short is still
there and it doesnt blow fuses.

My car would always keep the battery charged for months so i know this
problem  just started.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:59:09 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Compartment Cover Hinges

Thanks to all, for the info.  I will call PJ Grady and ask about the
hinges.  I know they have re-coated hinges, but I would like
stainless, especially if they are the same shape over all.

Now, does anyone know who can gold plate Stainless Steel?  And no
I'm not gold plating the car, though that would make 4!  Just want
to add some bling in the appropriate places on Black Beauty.  Like
the letters in the bumper, would set the car off just right, and
maybe and only maybe the DMC on the grill, but I doubt it.  I want
the grain of the stainless to show though.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Hey,
>>
>> If you're talking about the engine cover hinges, Grady has them.

Just

>> call him up because apparently they're hand made and cost either

$100

>> a hinge or for a set...can't remember exactly but just call and

he'll

>> fill you in.  I was checking into getting them as well but am

holding

wrote:

> [...]

saw

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:13:46 -0000
From: "samuelisaza" <samuelisaza_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: big fan, i would like to be in the know

Does anyone know when and how the DMC came back into business?  I've
been a fan since the BTTF movies and would like to someday own one.  I
think it's great that its giving this next generation something to
enjoy.  If anyone has any insight on this question, please post or
email.  Thanks a lot.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:13:39 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ

Yes the tech session was awesome but you didnt mention the ride to see
your limo chassy.

  Rich's limo is going to be long with that beefed up SS frame.

  Dave Swingle helped me out alot. Dave removed my broken/falling apart
passeneger window motor and he showed me how to fix it. Dave also fixed
my passenger door lock so it worked correctly and then re-installed my
fixed window motor. Thank you Dave.

  It was a blast at the tech session.

  I really wanted to see Marty L's door launchers and alarm installed
but Dave said he wanted a day to do this when things were much quieter.
Dave did install the new Door lock actuators that Toby sells and they
were awesome and i now want a set.

  I helped a new member diagnose some problems he had with his low
mileage "9800" 1982 automatic. I adjusted his rear louver so it wouldnt
hit his t-panel and found out he had a leaky radiator and broken
Otterstat. He also had the original "Blue fan fail module" that i
removed and Dave swingle made him a temporary fix till he bought a new
version of a fan fail fix. I also told him to replace all of his fuses
and keep the fuse box cover off at all times. He was a very nice guy.

  There was also a member with DMCH's exhaust system and he removed the
muffler and replaced it with a Magnaflow muffler that sounded so much
better.

Mark V

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:46:21 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Exhaust smell any ideas?

I have to say I've been very happy with my new DeLorean. It is a
virtually mint automobile purchased through DMC Texas. A few twist and
turns aside(broken door handle, slight cold start valve problem) It
runs great.

I have noticed that the car gives off a fairly strong exhaust smell.
Is this normal for the DeLorean? Or a sign of a problem? Perhaps I am
just used to modern vehicles? Any thoughts on this would be
appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:14:51 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Brent,

Sorry to hear about your car.   Were their any unique identifiers to
your parts, that D owners can watch for to try recover your car?

BOB

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:45:18 -0000
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

That would indeed be an interesting swap, and probably the best way of realizing such a
thing as a 12-cylinder DeLorean, but the problem is availability. In the US, W8s were only
offered in higher-end Passats, and didn't sell very well at all. Therefore it's unlikely they'll
bring it back for a second engagement. Likewise, the W12 has only been seen in the
Phaeton sedan, which is restricted to something like less than 500 per year. I've also heard
from VW mechanics that it's almost a nightmare to work on these things, apparently you
practically have to drop the engine just to change spark plugs. But if somebody came upon
one in a junkyard...

A far more interesting swap, in my opinion, would be a VW turbo-diesel of some sort,
particularly the V10 from a Touareg. Unfortunately emissions laws in some states frown
upon gasoline->diesel swaps.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:29:41 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Museum

I have received a number of questions on what kinds of items are we looking
for in creating the museum for the DCS show in June.

There are of course a few main doners that have items that are very unique
and rich in Delorean history.

For the most part they are items from the factory along with personal Items
related to John given to us by the family.

There are also some personal items that some individuals have collected  that
they are offering to share.

As of now we will have over 20 display cases, 10 tables numerous video some
never seen before and of course the prototype car is planning to be there.

The second question is what are we looking for.

If you have items of clothing, factory origin materials, items such as
magazines, posters, documentation such as stock certificates, Newspaper articles
from the 70's and early 80's etc.

We do not need the items sent to me they can be brought to the show  and
displayed there without it having to be stored by me so it can stay in your
control. All items will be in closed display units.

We do need to know however ahead of time what you are bringing so we can
make sure we have the proper space to display it and to make sure we do not have
a lot of duplicates.

So if you are interested in this once in a lifetime two day event please
contact me off list.

All items will be in protective display cases or acrylic covered tables or
other suitable display areas.

We are in the process of getting the display cases now along with the
computers, video and tables so its not too early to start putting this together
since we will be involved in registrations from the first of the year on.

Your help is appreciated

See you there for the most unique DeLorean Experience ever

Star Trek Conventions look out LOL

DCS Chicago (Pheasant Run)

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:33:57 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Clean out fuel distributor?

The car has not been run for a year. I cleaned the tank. I have all the fuel
lines off as I am doing the water pump. Can I -should I spray carb cleaner
in the distributor or will it implode. It sure smells of old gas.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:33:29 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Door Handles

Last night, I was driving around for the heck of it.  I stopped at Wal-
Mart to pick up a few things and when I got out of the car and closed
the door, it didn't close all the way and I saw the dome light still
on.  My seat belt got caught in the door.  I went to open the door to
close it again, i barely touched the handle, and it almost popped off.
Just the left side popped out.  I looked closely and the piece that
sticks out of the back of the handle and it looked like it broke off.
Now, I see DMCH has new metal handles that are better than the plastic
ones.  By what happened to my handle, is anything else broke in there
or do I just need the new handles?

And yes, I did get home.  Just opened thr passenger door then opened
the driver's door from the inside.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:47:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I think Jason Perkins may have a good point about the
use of a locking gas cap. It wont prevent thiefs from
taking your car, but if it is just someone taking it
for a joy ride, then when they go to fill up the tank
so they can continue their joyride, they cant add gas.
They will end up stranded somewhere because they cant
add fuel, then the car is bound to be found and
returned to the owner.
While the general idea of putting locking gascaps on
cars is making a comeback; on newer cars, the best you
can do is have a lock on the gas filler door because
because some newer fuel injection systems rely on
vacume pressurre in the fuel tank and locking caps
have trouble keeping the tank pressurized for some
reason(or that is what I have come to understand).
That is why so many cars nowadays require you to push
a button inside the car to open the fuel fill door
rather that allowing you to open it from the outside.
I am not completely shure if this is accurate, but
that is how a service-writer at a Nissan dealership
explained it to me.
So a locking gas cap could, theoretically be used as a
last line of defence against joy riders because they
will get stuck with a delorean whose gas tank cant be
refilled
Sorry to hear about the thieft, but its bound to turn
up.
Jonathan Minor(no vin)
--- Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Unless you have a flap hood, you don't really need a
>> locking cap.
>> If they get the hood open, they are already
>> inside....and you have bigger
>> problems than
>> loosing up to 10 gallons of gas.
>> They will burn the gas when they drive your car off!
>> - VB

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:52:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

One thing Rich missed - we had a total of 16 DeLoreans (and one fake
police cruiser) show up. Does this count as a national convention? At
least 4 of them were from out of state....

Also Rich left early and missed dinner at Hooter's Crystal Lake.

Dave Swingle
Proprietor - Dave & Julee's Bed, Breakfast & part-time DeLorean Repair

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:46:15 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

The idea of calling up some news channels might be a good idea, I bet they
might pick that up if it's a slow news day....
- VB

>>From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] Stolen in Seattle
>>Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:24:17 -0400
>>
>>Brent,
>>      If I were you, not only would I contact the police, but I would
>>call up every local news channel.  SOMEONE had to see the car.  This
>>is a car that many people remember and are interested in.  If the
>>news channels are short on footage, they might very well throw in a
>>short bit about a stolen "80's Icon".  I'd be frantic if I were in
>>your position.
>>
>>Like I said, SOMEONE knows SOMETHING about your car, be it a friend
>>of whoever stole it, someone who saw it pulling into a warehouse,
>>etc.  I'd get on that ASAP.
>>
>>Sorry to hear the sad news.  Don't give up hope.
>>-Patrick C.
>>1880

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:46:41 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I feel for you, Brent.  I was at the tech session too and had a blast.
 People freely shared their knowledge with me (a 4 month newbie) and I
learnt a lot.

Concerning how easy it is to take a car, there is a show on the
Discovery Channel called Reposessors(sp?).  What the hired guns did
was simply attaching chains to the tow hooks and winch the vehicle up
a hydraulic truck bed at an angle.  The whole thing was accomplished
in 2 minutes flat.  It doesn't matter if the parking brakes had been
set or not.

Someone mentioned contacting the news channels, I thought that's a
great idea.  With many people keeping an eye out for your car, the
thief will be "encouraged" to abandon the stolen vehicle.

If you have pictures of your car, forward the information to Port of
Tacoma and Port of Seattle and ask them to look out for anyone
shipping the D out of country or to Alaska.

Steve
VIN#04421

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "brentbeecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Thanks.  No, the car was locked, and I still have all the keys.  I

don't know how (relatively)

>> easy it is to steal a Delorean.  There was no broken glass, and the

car is gone.  Other than

>> that, I have no idea.

wondering

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:02:31 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Tom Tait wrote:

>> Of course they don't... The 11 secret herbs and spices The Colonel uses
>>
>>in his chicken are kept under wraps too.  Odds are good that a lot of
>>the parts and techniques DMCH uses could be purchased directly for less

>from other vendors.  DMCH had done testing and research, they own it,

>>and if they are going to remain a viable entity to support us they
>>deserve to protect it.  Toby and John Hervey do the legwork for us to
>>find and package aftermarket items we could probably buy cheaper
>>elsewhere - if we were willing to go out and bang on suppliers doors
>>too.  Even after this these guys have to warranty their finds.
>>
>>Sometimes you just have to smile and pay.

I think if it was anything overly complicated, they'd be happy to say
what was done, as they'd know it'd be hard for anyone else to duplicate
anyway..  No.. I think most likly the work they do is porting/polishing
the heads, custom cams, and a free flowing exhaust and an higher power
ignition system.. They might do other little tricks like removing the
deceleration valves and filling the holes in the throttle plate and
advancing the timing a touch but who knows.  If I was rich, i'd spend
the $5250  then dismantle the motor and look to see what they did..
Though if I was rich, I probably wouldn't care.  :)

I do think I can arrange to get some dyno time cheap though.. so after
I  do all the little tricks i've found on the various forums about PVR
performance gains, and built a free flowing exhaust, hopefully I can see
just what you can do with the stock b28f  on a very limited budget.
I'll also do my best to document everything I do as well, and share,
even if nothing really helps much.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:25:43 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: distributor cap and rotor

I'll have to try that next time.  I figured the lines were too tight but it
makes sense and would save on the washer cost.  I always just take the lines
off because it's easier for me and I usually will do other things i might
think off while the Mix Unit is off.

Replacing the copper washers is the only cost you may want to save because
if you have to take them off again if you don't do something right they have
to be replaced (again.)

Definitely buy that workshop manual!

Jeff in NC

>>From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] distributor cap and rotor
>>Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:06:28 -0000
>>
>>I would not recommend removal of the fuel lines as it is not
>>necessary and requires you to replace all those copper seals, about
>>$20, and you risk exposure of dirt and debris to the fuel system
>>after the fuel filter. If you simply remove the throttle tubes and
>>linkage then maneuver the mixture unit, hoses and all, out of your
>>way you can access the distributor. In some cases it may be
>>necessary to remove the CSV line as Jeff stated but not always
>>required. I've done this procedure on at least 20 DeLoreans and have
>>never removed the fuel lines, short of the occasional CSV hose. But
>>you defiantly need to invest in a workshop manual and since all the
>>vendors pretty much have the same workshop manual just buy one from
>>your favorite.
>>Best of luck
>>seanM

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:29:10 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Most kinds of grease are okay but Dielectric is a good one for o-rings as it
keeps them well over the years.  You may have a leak if the tube is not
pressed in all the way but it could be other things as well.  Take out the
motor and tube and grease the seal up a bit and see if that helps but you
may likely have something else going on.

Grease does help the vacuum a bit because the seal stays soft and doesn't
dry out as fast.  However one could argue a seal is a seal and if it leaks
you have a problem and grease won't help.  Honestly, grease just helps it
assemble easier and that's the main reason I use it but I do believe it adds
to the life of the seal.

Jeff in NC

>>From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] distributor cap and rotor
>>Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:30:50 -0000
>>
>>How much does not greasing the idle speeb pipe and cup seal affect
>>idling.  I have a hot idle problem that the idle goes up and down,
>>to the point of the engine almost stalling, then catching itself.
>>The tube is inside the O-ring, but I did not lube it when I
>>reinstalled.  Can a lot of air pass through this?  Does the grease
>>prevent the vacuum leak?  Also, what kind of grease, like wheel
>>bearing grease?
>>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Paul

[moderator snip]