Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2859
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:13 Sep 2005 13:15:46 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. SEDOC Resurrection
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: big fan, i would like to be in the know
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

3. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: big fan, i would like to be in the know
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. RE: Clean out fuel distributor?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: big fan, i would like to be in the know
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Exhaust smell any ideas?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: Exhaust smell any ideas?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Key Blank question
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Interior roof panels
From: "bigkidtoys1955" <bigkidtoys_at_dml_aol.com>

12. RE: distributor cap and rotor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

14. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Ball joint boots, rack and p boots...
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. Re: Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Door Handles
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

19. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

20. Re: Door Handles
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. Re: Exhaust smell any ideas?
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Re: Door Handles
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

24. Re: Door Handles
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

25. Re: Re: Production twin turbo PRV
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:37:09 -0000
From: "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: SEDOC Resurrection

Greetings all former and future Southeastern DeLorean Owners Club
(SEDOC) members,

For the past year and a half or so, SEDOC has unfortunately been
dormant.  But hopefully that is about to change….   Some of us
DeLorean owners and enthusiasts in the Atlanta area have greatly
missed the club's events, and have recently taken steps to get
things going again.  Among these missed events is the biennial
cruise-in at Lake Lanier in Gainesville, GA.  This has been a
fantastic event in the past, attracting around 20 cars as well as
the attendance of DMCH, Rob Grady, John Hervey, and Bob Zilla.  The
last one was in September 2003, and since the next one was supposed
to be THIS month, we are really feeling the absence of the active
club.
We would like to have a meeting on Saturday, October 1st, 2005,
(which is in just under 3 weeks from now) to get everyone together
and discuss the legitimacy of reviving SEDOC.  The meeting place
will be a private room in the Harp Pub, located at 1425 Market Blvd,
Suite 1330 Roswell, Georgia 30076.  This is very near where highway
400 meets Holcomb Bridge Rd, just north of Atlanta.   We'd really
like for as many people to come as possible, so if you are at all
interested, please come!!!
We will of course be discussing the future direction of the club,
but one thing we know already is that we'd like to have monthly
or bi-monthly tech sessions.  We have a lengthy list of topics, so
we know we're well stocked for tech session activities for a long
time!
In addition to posting this on all the DeLorean forums, we are also
sending this out to our email list, as well as calling the people
who we don't have an email address for.  If you personally know
anyone who might be interested, please let them know also.

To gauge interest in making this meeting possible, please respond by
email to:
derek4567 (at) hotmail.com

Thank you so much and we hope to see you on October 1st!!

Sincerely,
Derek Lukaschus and Sean Mullins

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:44:34 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: big fan, i would like to be in the know

They never came back into business, the name is misleading people to
think they are the original company.

Mark V'

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:52:48 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Another good idea would be a battery cut off switch. It may take a while for
them to even find the battery box.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical-2.html

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:37:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Heh..  I think the recent Forbes magazine article
gives a good explination of how this took place.

I would not say they "came back", Just another company
using the same name.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:02:21 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Clean out fuel distributor?

Charles, Be very careful, Carb cleaner if it gets to any o rings can swell
them. Especially in the fuel distributor where it can set.
We just rebuilt a distributor for shop that the customer but a lot of carb
cleaner in the gas and swelled the O Rings in the Bentley.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:25:25 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

I'm truly sorry to hear that! Man, some people are really low. I hope
you find your car and have it returned to you in perfect condition. I
had my JBL's ripped off once out of my own D...lucky they just took my
rear speakers and didnt damage the car or swipe it!

"487h (a) Every person who feloniously steals or takes any motor
vehicle as defined in Section 432 of the Vehicle Code...(blah
blah)...is guilty of Grand Theft Auto and upon conviction thereof
shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months,
or 2 or 3 years, or a fine of not more than $10,000 USD, or both, or
by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year or a fine of
not more than $1,000 USD, or both."

John Rydholm
on and off Criminology student
Romeo, MI VIN#0715

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:08:54 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Another company using the same name WITH John DeLorean's blessing.
Marc seems to leave that bit out a lot.   :)

-Patrick C.
1880

On Sep 12, 2005, at 10:37 PM, Marc Levy wrote:

>> Heh..  I think the recent Forbes magazine article
>> gives a good explination of how this took place.
>>
>> I would not say they "came back", Just another company
>> using the same name.

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:29:58 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust smell any ideas?

Hi Dan,
I had a similar problem with a strong gasoline smell in my car last
year. I was also getting bad gas mileage. I found that my fuel lines
going from the pump were actually bad and leaking gas. So I ended up
replacing mine. For some odd reason the mechanic said there was a
piece of plastic floating in my fuel tank...? But I've had no fuel
problems since.
John 6-15-1980
DMC-12#0715 01-1982
"Long live the eighties  :)  "

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I have to say I've been very happy with my new DeLorean. It is a
>> virtually mint automobile purchased through DMC Texas. A few twist

and

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:06:43 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dan, It may just need a simple fuel adjustment and or a new catalytic
converter. The converter could be rendered no good depending on how the car
was treated in the past.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/index.html

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:33:01 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Key Blank question

Hi all, I was wondering. Is it possible to use a generic key when
copying my DeLorean's original? I had an extra for my old '93 Plymouth
and a towing company "lost" it when I had it worked on...grr. >_<
Should I order an original DMC blank? Mine is a 1982 with the single
entry/ignition type. I've always had at least 2 for any car I've owned
if not 3. heh- now I feel paranoid
John
been up since 7AM ...zzz. work work work
VIN#0715

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 04:06:32 -0000
From: "bigkidtoys1955" <bigkidtoys_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Interior roof panels

Anyone have advice on how to remove/reinstall the interior roof panels???

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:54:18 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: distributor cap and rotor

Jeff, You know I have the complete fuel system washer kit for $12.95.
John\

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 04:51:23 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

As a side note: If you're installing an alarm make sure you're wiring
it's supply and ground directly to the battery. I had someone who knew
I have an alarm in my car- actually go and cut my battery wires hoping
the alarm would be dead too. When my pager went off I went outside to
see what/who was disturbing my car-only to notice an old 80's rusted
out tow truck speeding off with no license plates, didn't think much
of it until the next day when I went to start the car....-----Dani B.

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

>> I was considering people who come to car shows and
>> take inventory,
>> and then steal later.

You know, when I first got my car I never gave this a
second thought.  But as I monitored the current
listings and dug al the way to the very beginning,
I've been highly alarmed as to the number of
occurrences that this happens.  This is one of the
reasons I don't go to local cruise-ins anymore, and
looking bakc I had some awfully curious people.  I
never displayed my electrical system or answered any
questions about alarms with my car; I amde sure I left
them in complete lingo.  With two cars damaged last
week and now this, I may re-consider the viability of
almost everything Toby sells.  I like "how little"
information I've found about his alarm products, and
if it stays that way - than only him, other owners who
purchased his alarm, and me know how it works.  I'd
like to keep it that way too.

Brent man, I'm sorry dude.  I really don't know what
to say.  I hope with all my heart and love for
DeLoreans that it shows up unscathed.  My heavy
condolences for you.

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:44:51 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wrap Up - Midwest Tech Session and BBQ

I guess I wasn't there Thursday and Friday night  :(

Peter Kuchan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_o...> wrote:

>> I guess with a near record number of 90+ degree days this summer,
>> it's not surprising we had another string of 90 degree days for
>> the DeLorean Midwest Connection Club Tech Session Day(s) this past
>> weekend and ending with the British Car Union show on Sunday.
>>
>> A big thanks goes out to Dave and Julee Swingle for saving the day
>> (again) with a last minute change in venue due to conflicts at the
>> garage where we had planned to hold the Tech Session on Saturday.
>> The change of venue did allow for several bonuses, including the
>> fact that Dave did not have to drive anywhere and drag his boxes of
>> tools around, we were able to have a BBQ at the same time and we

did

>> not have the 5pm finish time looming, although we did finish by

6pm.

>> The entire club enjoyed being back at the Midwest Monster Garage.

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:39:08 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Ball joint boots, rack and p boots...

Hey guys, I just got finished putting in new upper/lower ball joints,
tie rod ends, and rack & pinion boots. Roads here are just horrific,
and are chewing up my suspension and steering parts. Anyway,
everything's great with it, steers well and doesn't vibrate or
anything like that-but I'm more concerned with all of the rubber
boots. The boots on my lower ball joints only lasted a few months
before cracking and letting dirt in and the boots on my rack & pinion
are only about 2 years old but they've long been cracked and leaking
fluid (and what a pain they were to replace and refill let me tell
you!). Is there anything I can coat these rubber boots with that will
prevent the cracking from occurring? I do NOT want to do this work all
over again! ----- Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:11:47 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I wish I could have been there!  I'm in the National Guard and, of course, drill had to
fall on the same weekend as the tech session.  Oh well.  Next year.
Corey
2423

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:35:36 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Door Handles

Hi Matt.....

If there is anything else broken, you'll get to see it when you take
the interior paneling out.  It's probably just the handle.  They
aren't very strong.  Good luck with the metal handle.  I almost bought
one, but in the end was able to fix my plastic one.  Replacing the
handle is more difficult than a first guess would suggest if you
haven't done inside-the-door stuff before, but a mechanically inclined
person can pull it off with some patience.  The hardest part is
getting the trim out of the way.

If the handle broke as a result of the door jamming on the seatbelt,
and you then unconsciously pulled extra hard on the handle (that's how
I broke mine), than there are probably no other broken parts.

Rick Gendreau

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:10:29 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Re: Stolen in Seattle

Chances are it was NOT stolen for its parts,but for the whole
car,switch the vin plates from a junker(with a good title) and you
have a instant Delorean in which to make a "quick" 10K or MORE as a
seller!!
If the "D" was driven away,it could be possible,that someone got a
hold/came across a "spare" set of keys from a P.O. as I STILL have
my "spare" set of keys for vin# 16686(forgotten keys,came across them
about a year ago, that I sold in 1988!! But I would have to travel to
the U.K.(Britain) to be able to use them.
But what I really see is SOMEONE who bought a wrecked Delorean WITH a
clean title,possibly a burnt car,and if you really know Deloreans,it
is a VERY simple task to change Vin tags,and you will NOT be able to
tell that they were switched,since Deloreans have no other vin tags
except the two obvious tags,and since all  original  Deloreans look
alike,chances are the thief will remove ALL owner customized
accessories,and install original equipment,to make it "blend in".
Chances are if the car disappears into "thin air" it is because it
resurfaced with different vin tags. Hopefully I am wrong on the two
above assumptions.I would say keep a close eye on Ebay(or elsewhere)
on someone selling tons of spare parts(the car the vin plates came
from,and also selling a Delorean with details not matching the vin
numbers/year(radio/led clock/wheel colors/antennae/grab handle
straps/ect.The big giveaway would be the windshield antennae(if it
still has it) with a much later vin number.

Just my suspicions
Claude

>> Or maybe a left front fender, or hood, or engine, or trans, or

wheels.

>> There are several people who make a nice living selling loose parts

(wink).

>> - VB

had

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:24:06 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

In my experience, it sounds like you just need new handles.  I came across the same
problem in February.  But mine was much worse...  Both driver AND passenger door
handles broke off at the same time!  I attributed it to 25 year old cheap plastic and
the sub zero temperatures at the time. (The car was outside for a day so we could
clean the garage.)  I had to wedge the window down and pull up the handle from the
inside with a hanger.  That sucked!  But, I ordered the metal handles and installed
them using the instructions in the workshop handbook.  The whole proccess, both
doors, took about an hour and a half (Minus the time spent breaking into the car...)
Let me know if you have any questions...  If not, I'm sure DMCH can send you a copy
of the instructions with your new handles.
Corey
2423
P.S. - The metal ones are MUCH better.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:24:50 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

>> If you have pictures of your car, forward the information to Port of
>> Tacoma and Port of Seattle and ask them to look out for anyone
>> shipping the D out of country or to Alaska.

Alaska? Alaska is a member of the union, so if a police report has been
filed they wouldn't be able to register it there, either. It joined the
union in '59, maybe you don't get news too quickly there in WA area.
It was probably joy riders and it should turn up soon, and hopefully safe
and sound with an empty tank.
-Kevin

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:11:17 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

Do you smell exhaust inside or outside the car?
-Kevin

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 23 Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:51:22 -0500 From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com> Subject: Re: Door Handles All you need are the handles and to readjust the release cable. Here they are: http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=184&Qty=1&ShowCart=true That's what you get for shopping at WalMart. Warren at DMC conundrum1984 wrote:

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:54:59 -0000
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

Not to worry you just snapped the handle. The plastic gets brittle
over time and just breaks. Just get that Houston replacement and youll
be good to go. You might consider getting the pair so you dont run
into this issue again. The install is quick and painless, provided you
tape the stainless opening inside the door so you dont get cut up.
Best of luck
seanM

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:23:18 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Production twin turbo PRV

Christophe Vieira wrote:

>>Nothing to add.  ;-)
>>I definitely agree with you, to get a great engine, the DeLorean
>>original engine is not really the "best" choice, a good base has to
>>be found, something like a 3L V6 24 valves for example

The price of just the cam/follower kits for those engines put them in
the "far too expensive" category. Let alone the cost of the heads. You
also run into interesting problems because

1) The exhaust has 6 ports on each head
2) The spark plugs go through the rocker covers so the AC compressor has
to be moved

Small issues but it's definitely not a DeLorean engine, whereas the 12v
will hook up to the same exhausts and take all the ancillaries, with one
very small exception.