Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2861
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:13 Sep 2005 21:20:35 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. AW: Re: Ball joint boots, rack and p boots...
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

2. Power window trouble
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

3. Re: removing engine and trans
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. Re: Power window trouble
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. Re: Power window trouble
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Re: removing engine and trans
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

8. Crease in DMCH floormats
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

9. Locking Gas Cap
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

10. RE: Locking Gas Cap
From: "Todd Nelson" <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

11. Re: New Delorean Shop Texas
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Wacky tach - major issue???
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

13. Re: removing engine and trans
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:51:13 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Ball joint boots, rack and p boots...

I know, but I bought them last year new, so there should be no need to
replace them...yet.

Elvis, There is replacement rubber for the ball joints and tie rod ends.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:53:26 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Power window trouble

Ok, heres the sypnosis.
I press the power window button, and I hear the motor whirring away, but no action. The window is in up position, and I could not see if it was off its tracks (couldnt even see the tracks, and both trim panels were off).
After taking the motor out I instantly regretted it as it looks very difficult to get it back in again lol.
The window is firmly in the up position, although it dropped a little when the motor came out. I just pushed it back up to stop water getting in etc.

Thanks for any suggestions
Thomas Mc Auley
Vin #4087 - Now with locking doors!
Belfast

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:54:57 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: removing engine and trans

[freakin' know-it-all moderators....]

Spoil-sport - You don't like fireworks?  ;-)

I always forget at least one connection, it may as well be the exciting
one.

dave

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:11:41 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Power window trouble

As you've probably discovered by now, as soon as you slam the door or
move the car the window is gonna open - and fast. The motor mechanism
you removed used to hold it up. Time for some duct tape or baling
wire.

You should probably just replace the motor with the upgraded new one,
although if you are careful and mechanically inclined the old ones
are somewhat repairable (hi Mark V!) unless you've stripped the gear
or the plastic elbow has disintegrated.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:11:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Does it roll down?? I know my driver side window rolls
up and down fine and when its all the way up it makes
that noise....that's when I let go of the switch.
My passenger side makes no noise going up or down.

Joey

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: removing engine and trans

it happens to all of us.  i snapped a belt late at night a few weeks ago and replaced it in a dark parking lot.  I forgot to disconnect the battery and while I was under the car loosening the alternator my wrench crossed the wires and sprayed me with sparks.  scared the crap out of me and i'm sure made for a good show to those people watching from the restaurant across the street.

Erik

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:06:51 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Hi Gang - I just wanted to chime in on this message with information on
a feature that is available to counteract the technique of interupting
power to the alarm system.  We offer a battery backup siren module that
has an internal power supply to supplement the external power from the
car.  If power is cut off to the alarm, or even to the siren itself,
the siren will automatically sound.  It can only be turned off at that
point with a special key.  This siren can be wired around a battery cut
off switch so that you can still use the switch without interupting
power to the siren.  This siren module is compatible with all of our
Wings-A-Loft alarm systems, and with most other alarm systems that are
available.  Just thought that somebody might find this information
useful in light of the topic of conversation.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

>> As a side note: If you're installing an alarm make sure you're wiring
>> it's supply and ground directly to the battery. I had someone who

knew

>> I have an alarm in my car- actually go and cut my battery wires

hoping

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:29:07 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Crease in DMCH floormats

Hi, all.  I bought some really nice new-style floormats from  DMCF.  I
dropped in my car, and the interior looked 10x better.   Literally.  It's amazing
what some good floormats will do for a  car.

Anyway, they have seen quite a bit of use as of late, as my car is a daily
driver.  Apparently, my driver side floormat got bent or jammed in the  wrong
position, or *something*... but I have a rather large crease going  sideways
across it, almost directly underneath my pedals.  I've tried  shifting the
floormat around a little bit, but it keeps returning to its  original position, and
it's interfering with my clutching and pedal work.

My question is this: How does one go about and removing creases from these
floor mats?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
William F.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:48:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Locking Gas Cap

Todd Nelson Wrote:

"It only came with cars with a separate gas flap since you would have no security with those.  Once DMC got rid of the gas flap they moved to regular unlocked caps since you would have to have access to the trunk to remove the cap."

I am certain this information is in error. Vin. 3254 never had a gas flap. However, it came stock with a "pain in the A$$" locking gas cap. My guess is, for cost purposes, DMC used the locking caps in production until the invetory was all gone. I wonder how this would be scored in a Concours event?

Yes I have replaced the original cap, Thanks DMCH.

Dan Haney

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:55:47 -0400
From: "Todd Nelson" <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: RE: Locking Gas Cap

Dan,

You're right.  You can confirm that by reading the service bulletins.  The same thing with the old Ducieller alternator, they decided to use up all remaining stock rather than throwing them out.  I'm not sure how much of a gap there was though between when they stopped making flapped hoods and started using regular gas caps.

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

________________________________

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:37:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New Delorean Shop Texas

Hervey! - Hervey! - Hervey! ... now a "Preferred (full-service) Delorean Vendor"
!

Shannon Y
16506

--------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:13:34 -0000
   From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: New Delorean Shop Texas

Group,
I have been making small statements about our shop on the chat groups
for the past 6 months or so and now I would like to make it formal
that we have a shop going in Dallas/Forney Texas. We have been up and
running for about 6 months and in the last 2 weeks we have had 4 cars
at one time doing everything from complete fuel system over haul,
water pumps, tunes up, brakes, transmissions clutch and more.
If you need a quote on work and are looking for a fair price on labor
$60.00/hr. and parts then call me at the toll free # 888-278-1629. We
can do local pick up and delivery or DAP ( Dependapable Auto
Shippers)
is about 10 miles from the shop.
Let me know what you need done and I will tell you what we can do.
We will be adding more services as we go along.
Thanks for support.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:04:30 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Wacky tach - major issue???

It was during the day and my car has John Herveys relay that only
turns on the AC panel lights when the headlights are on, so I would
not have noticed if any of the dash lights had been affected. I do
have the workshop manual/electrical schematic and have become
somewhat familiar with reading it recently. I will be cleaning the
grounds and tracing the wire tonight to try to fix the problem.
Thanks,

-Derek #10084

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...>
wrote:

>> Derek,
>>
>> sounds like an electrical problem so don't worry too much,
>> the engine is not going to explode from that  ;-)
>>

>> Is there any other strange things happening in the dash ?
>> Dimm or flickering lights ?
>>
>> The Tach has 3 wires. +12V, GND and Signal form the Ignition ECU.
>>
>> If the ignition signal would be disturbed, the car would run like
>> crap or not at all. I think we can close this out for a second.
>>
>> What I would suspect is the GND connection in the center console
>> close to the radio. There must be a capacitor near the A/C switch
>> and two more from the fan speed switch. The caps are there to filter
>> noises from the fan motor that could disturb other systems

like...the tach ?

>> Also - wat does the volt meter show during this situation ?
>>
>> May be there is a problem or with the +12V coming from fuse #5.
>> At least this is where I would start looking, especialy for loose
>> GND connections.
>>
>> Do you have a schematic ? Can you read it ?
>>
>> Elvis

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:35:22 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

I guess I would qualify.  I've pulled the tranny and engine, rebulit the
engine (new pistons, liners, bearings etc. etc.).  Did it with no experience
and a handful of tools.  Oh by the way, with the exception of a high idle
and a couple of valves that need minor adjusting, the engine runs great.
Write me off-list for specifics if you'd like.

rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com

Lingo #2034