Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2862
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:14 Sep 2005 13:19:36 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: Key Blank question
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. RE: Power window trouble
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk

6. Re: New Delorean Shop Texas
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

7. Re: Crease in DMCH floormats
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

8. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

9. Gas Mileage
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Re: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Re: Locking Gas Cap
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

12. DeLorean PayPal Scam
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Cruising RPM's
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

14. RE: Re: New Delorean Shop Texas
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: Cruising RPM's
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Want to see a Gold DeLorean?
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Gas Mileage
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

18. Re: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

19. Re: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Cruising RPM's
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. AW: Wacky tach - major issue???
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

23. Car theft deterents
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

24. RE: DeLorean PayPal Scam
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

25. AW: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:45:29 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Hey Guys,

I can back that up since I bought the battery backup siren (and
Toby's Wings ALoft Elite setup) and ran some tests outside of the
car...and it works great.  I'm planning on running both sirens (in
different locations) so that a thief may cut one line and the other
will continue to run....but think how loud 2 sirens going at once
will be!!!  If they cut the second siren...it keeps ringing nice and
loud  :)

By the way, I swear this talk of thievery has to stop  :)   I had the
worst nightmare last night that someone came in and stripped my D
clean of all the expensive parts...I actually had to wake myself up
because I was so pissed off, and not to mention distraught lol.

Definitely call the news stations, they love stories like this and if
they help find the car, they'll promote it as well as you with your
newly returned car....not to mention if anything is missing, they may
find a local 'Pimp My Ride' shop that wants free exposure to help
supe it up....anything is really possible.

Sure would beat a story about a dog who nearly got hit on a major
intersection.......

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_k...> wrote:

>> Hi Gang - I just wanted to chime in on this message with

information on

>> a feature that is available to counteract the technique of

interupting

>> power to the alarm system.  We offer a battery backup siren module

that

>> has an internal power supply to supplement the external power from

the

>> car.  If power is cut off to the alarm, or even to the siren

itself,

>> the siren will automatically sound.  It can only be turned off at

that

>> point with a special key.  This siren can be wired around a battery

cut

>> off switch so that you can still use the switch without interupting
>> power to the siren.  This siren module is compatible with all of

our

>> Wings-A-Loft alarm systems, and with most other alarm systems that

are

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:45:55 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!

OK, here is the email confirming our showing of BTTF Pt1. Lets please
have a good turnout should we want to do this again in the future:

From:   Bumpersdrivein_at_dml_aol.com
To:   silversurfer_at_dml_delorean.com
Subject:   Re: Back To The Future Showing
Date:   Mon 09/12/05 12:40 PM

ok, Saturday October 1st, Back to the Future part one, the original.
paired with Greedy both Michael J Fox Movies. Start promoting this. I
am doing this for your group of Delorean fanatics. Let me know approx
how many (For Sure) deloreans will be attending. I'll have the news
media there!! Remember this is NOT at Bumpers it is at the Bowie
Baysox Drive-in Theatre at the Prince Georges Stadium, Route 50 / 301
in Bowie Md. 301-464-4806 movie line. Please use
americanfament_at_dml_aol.com for email from now on, thanks!!!!

Alan Ackerman

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:57:20 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Jeremiah,

>> them in complete lingo.  With two cars damaged last
>> week and now this, I may re-consider the viability of
>> almost everything Toby sells.  I like "how little"
>> information I've found about his alarm products, and
>> if it stays that way - than only him, other owners who
>> purchased his alarm, and me know how it works.  I'd
>> like to keep it that way too.

This means nothing. The specs on the alarms Toby sells are available
anywhere; installation is much the same as any other alarm. Security
through obscurity is worse than no security at all (because of the
false sense of security it gives you).

If you want to really protect your car with an alarm, you should:

1. Get a long range paging alarm; there are a few out there, I believe
Toby's in one of them. A car alarm going off means nothing to anybody
but it's owner.

2. Install the alarm with security in mind:
- Put fuses on all connections that supply or otherwise direct power.
Many alarms do not fuse the parking light output, for instance. A
thief can short that out, open the door, and your alarm will kill
itself.
- Tear the interior of the car apart and bury the alarm deep within
some cavity that's difficult to get to. Run as many wires as you can
in equally difficult to reach places.
- Tie the alarm's power and ground directly to the car's battery, and
provide a small backup power source if your alarm supports it.
- Reroute starter kill wiring completely. The starter kill can be
bypassed in seconds if you just slap a relay in-line with it under the
dash. Instead, replace or complement ignition wiring with another
color, extend it's length, and bury the relay deep within the dash.

These are just a few small steps you can take that will help. Make
sure all changes to the car's electrical system are documented and
stored in a safe place in your house. This way you can undo things (or
provide a good manual of the changes for any future owner).

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:12:47 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Key Blank question

>> Hi all, I was wondering. Is it possible to use a generic key when
>> copying my DeLorean's original?

Yes. The DMC key blank is only needed if you want the cool "DMC" head
on it. If you just want a plain key, go to any locksmith with your
regular key and they can make a copy for a couple of bucks.

I have:

- The original DMC key for my car (in storage)
- A DMC key blank cut from my original (looks cool, used daily)
- A couple of generic key blanks cut from my original (for
emergencies; didn't see any reason to buy "expensive" DMC key blanks
for these keys)

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:15:25 +0100
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk
Subject: RE: Power window trouble

Hi Thomas

Seeing as you have your doors in bits and have a few problems to boot!!!
You can have that Delorean Parts Northwest Actuator kit that I have spare...

Should get both your doors locking together.

Give me a shout and I can give them to you or post them.

Alistair McCann
Belfast.

For a wide range of mobile phones,free upgrades,accessories and tariffs plus
special deals when you buy online,visit www.o2.co.uk/shop <http://www.o2.co.uk/shop>

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:56:39 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: New Delorean Shop Texas

I don't think he said anywhere that he was a full service vendor.
But if you need electrical, fuel system, or any other general work
done then he is available for your consideration.  I don't think he
is going to get into restoration, etc.  But that will be up to him.

But congratulations to John, it isn't easy opening up a new business
such as this with a very limited customer base, unless he is also
working on Rolls, Bentley, Porche, Lambourgini, and anything else
that uses Bosch fuel injection.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Hervey! - Hervey! - Hervey! ... now a "Preferred (full-service)

Delorean Vendor"

>> !
>>
>> Shannon Y
>> 16506
>>
>> --------------------
>>
>> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:13:34 -0000
>>    From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_s...>
>> Subject: New Delorean Shop Texas
>>
>> Group,
>> I have been making small statements about our shop on the chat

groups

>> for the past 6 months or so and now I would like to make it formal
>> that we have a shop going in Dallas/Forney Texas. We have been up

and

>> running for about 6 months and in the last 2 weeks we have had 4

cars

>> at one time doing everything from complete fuel system over haul,
>> water pumps, tunes up, brakes, transmissions clutch and more.
>> If you need a quote on work and are looking for a fair price on

labor

>> $60.00/hr. and parts then call me at the toll free # 888-278-1629.

We

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:33:53 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Crease in DMCH floormats

One word, steam.  Rent a carpet steam cleaner and do your mats, and
while your at it, why not do the rest of your carpet, and maybe if
you have time some of the carpets in the house too.  Your local
supermarket/hardware store should be able to rent you one, you will
need an upholstry (sp?) attachment.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Hi, all.  I bought some really nice new-style floormats from

DMCF.  I

>> dropped in my car, and the interior looked 10x better.

Literally.  It's amazing

>> what some good floormats will do for a  car.
>>
>> Anyway, they have seen quite a bit of use as of late, as my car is

a daily

>> driver.  Apparently, my driver side floormat got bent or jammed in

the  wrong

>> position, or *something*... but I have a rather large crease

going  sideways

>> across it, almost directly underneath my pedals.  I've tried

shifting the

>> floormat around a little bit, but it keeps returning to its

original position, and

>> it's interfering with my clutching and pedal work.
>>
>> My question is this: How does one go about and removing creases

from these

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:02:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

***** Moderator's Note *****
I debated posting the original post for some time.  On the one hand,
the information does identify an exposure and could lead to a car
being stolen.  On the other hand, since the exposure is identified,
owners can take the appropriate steps to proctect their cars and
prevent a theft.  Obviously, I opted to send the post through.  In
my mind, this is no different than a typical alarm system.  They all
have flaws, and those flaws are known to the people intent on
stealing cars.  Personally, I would want to know about them so I
can make an informed decision about the risk I am taking by leaving
the car out in the open.  As Dave points out, a determined thief will
get what they want.

Mike G.  Moderator of the Week
*****

It is irresponsable for you or anyone to post in such detail how to
commit an illegal act. What you are saying to do is not as much
speculation as it is a recipe to commit a crime. We do not know all
the circumstances of this alleged crime and to spread rumors about it
is of no benefit to anyone. This could be a case of someone with a key
"borrowing" the car or maybe it was repossesed. Time will tell but for
you to explain in detail how vulnurable the identity of an individual
car is is not in anyone's best interests. My origional post was
bounced as it was deemed too personal a response. As far as I am
concerned the moderator should have bounced cbl1302's post. The
ultimate protection is insurance. If a thief is determined there is
little an owner can do.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:36:36 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Gas Mileage

Anybody know how to get extra gas mileage, any modifications or tricks
to squeeze out a few extra mpg.  I drive 65 miles to work each way,
have an automatic, get about 19-20 mpg, which really isn't too bad.
But an extra 2-3 mpg would help the gas bill alot.  Not worried about
performance as much as mpg.  Thanks much.

Gary
Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:32:45 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Wasn't there a thread a few months back - or maybe it was on the
"other" list - helping someone break into his car because he had lost
his keys?  Maybe some of that information was helpful to a lurker
with insidious intentions.  Just a thought.

.......................LP

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:35:58 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Locking Gas Cap

Yes that information is in error.  The factory put locking gas caps on many cars after the hood flab was eliminated.  My car VIN 3360 also had a factory locking gas cap but no hood flap.

Gary
VIN 3360

<<Todd Nelson Wrote:

"It only came with cars with a separate gas flap since you would have no
security with those.  Once DMC got rid of the gas flap they moved to regular
unlocked caps since you would have to have access to the trunk to remove the
cap."

I am certain this information is in error. Vin. 3254 never had a gas flap.
However, it came stock with a "pain in the A$$" locking gas cap. My guess is,
for cost purposes, DMC used the locking caps in production until the invetory
was all gone. I wonder how this would be scored in a Concours event?

Yes I have replaced the original cap, Thanks DMCH.

Dan Haney
vin 3254>>

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:34:18 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: DeLorean PayPal Scam

Just a heads up to everyone...I had a fake PayPal email in my box
saying "Your Account Has Been Limited".  I looked at the box to who
else it was sent  to and they were all DML email addresses.  Maybe
your SPAM folder picked it up, but just wanted to make sure no one
gets fooled by it.

-Patrick C.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:45:39 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Cruising RPM's

I have a daily driver (automatic).  What is a good cruising RPM level
on the interstate without straining the engine.  Any ideas? Thanks
very much.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:40:30 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: New Delorean Shop Texas

Even though we sell a lot of fuel distributors and warm up regulators for
other cars, and mechanics ask a lot of questions because most don't either
have the equipment ( CIS Tester )or to young to really know how it works,
The Delorean is my first love and the car I'm committed to.
John Hervey
Thanks group for the unspoken words.
Bring them on.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:17:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cruising RPM's

Well , just about ANYthing under 3500 rpms seems just
fine.  I go about 70-75 mph at about 3000 rpms with no
trouble.  These cars love to cruise - let em' have fun
=)!

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:21:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?

I feel so honored to even type this message!

http://tinyurl.com/dctwg

What a interesting find....

Could this be the "spare gold parts" car talked about
on old, old DeLorean websites? Vin 20105.  If I cited
correctly, this is the "last" DeLorean ever built.

First Proto-1, now this.  Exciting times for the
DeLorean community!

Jeremiah

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:23:42 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage

There are several ways to improve your gas mileage:

Make sure your car is tuned and working properly -
exhaust is in good shape (including catalytic converter),
shift points are correct, wheel bearings are in good shape,
tires are inflated correctly, your alignment is accurate,
and your brakes are not dragging.

Avoid jackrabbit starts and rapid acceleration

Avoid braking sharply.  Drive smoothly - easy on the
throttle, easy on the brakes.  Conserve momentum.
Cruising at a constant speed is preferred to speeding up
and slowing down - for traffic or intersections.

Drive the speed limit.  Aerodynamic drag is a function of
speed and it is not linear.  The faster you go, the more power
it takes to maintain that speed against the air.

Avoid the use of accessories like air conditioning.  AC
takes a surprising amount of power to run.

Use a good quality gas at the proper octane rating for the car.
Use the proper weight oil in the engine and gearbox.

-------------- Original message from "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:58:22 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?

Forgive me for I am clueless-- do the other gold Deloreans have tan
seats as well?  What a stellar find!

......................LP
10440

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:45:24 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/13/2005 11:43:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

http://tinyurl.com/dctwg

this is the one that is owned by carl winter he had it for the DCS in
Cleveland

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:03:04 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I believe it might be, because I remember hearing someone say that the
car didn't have another gold plated door, and the owner had to have
one plated to somewhat match.

This might be that one as the passenger door does not match the rest
of the gold plating.

Who knows???

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:09:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

It has more to do with aerodynamics than RPM's. If you can stay under
45 MPH you will get the best gas mileage. Don't run the A/C, lights,
heater, rear defroster, etc. Make sure the brakes don't drag and
overinflate the tires a couple of pounds. Don't fill the gas tank past
1/2. Remove everything you can including the spare tire. Some of these
suggestions are not very practical to actually use. In the end it has
more to do with your driving style than anything else.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:57:26 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Wacky tach - major issue???

That relay you are talking about is a regular relay WITHOUT the center
spade.
It affects only the bulbs in d the center console.
I was talking about the bulbs or guages in the dash.
When the GND or +12V wires have a problem, then not only the tacho
is acting weired but the other things, too. (Volt meter....)

You need to watch that stuff to get closer to the problem.

Let us know if you found something.

Elvis

It was during the day and my car has John Herveys relay that only
turns on the AC panel lights when the headlights are on, so I would
not have noticed if any of the dash lights had been affected. I do
have the workshop manual/electrical schematic and have become
somewhat familiar with reading it recently. I will be cleaning the
grounds and tracing the wire tonight to try to fix the problem.
Thanks,

-Derek #10084

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:15:04 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Car theft deterents

Hello List - There has been quite a bit of discussion (some of it
even somewhat useful!) about the subject of car security as it
relates specifically to DeLoreans.  As Ryan pointed out, a
significant portion of the deterent value of any alarm system is the
way in which it is installed and integrated into the car's other
systems.  If a system is installed where it can be easily reached
(and breached), then it has no real value in regards to preventing
damage (or worse) to the car.  I wanted to point out that we have
systems with several layers of security features that compliment one
another.  The "hook" for our Wings-A-Loft line is the remote door
opening and other convenience features like remote trunk opening and
remote keyless entry.  When you look beyond the "fluff", the Elite
system is a serious world-class security system.  It can accept
various types of sensors, battery back-up sirens with
uninterruptible power supplies, passive starter disable, and we can
also add a remote battery cutoff switch that turns power off to
everything except the alarm system and radio when the doors are
locked.  It comes with long range FM paging, so your car can tell
you what's going on at all times.  The DeLuxe system is a very
capable system in its own right, with several add-ons and included
features that make it a formidable foe when it comes to car thieves
and other nefarious individuals.  The bottom line is that many
people don't have an interest in remote door opening (I can't
understand that personally!), but the other aspects of these systems
are also worthy of consideration.  We even offer them without the
door opener hardware.  The cool thing is that we have ironed out the
integration of these systems with the DeLorean, so you don't have to
hope that some stereo shop tech can sort it all out (no offense
intended to any lurking stereo shop techs).

Moderator - Thank you for your indulgence.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:57:18 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: DeLorean PayPal Scam

Sadly enough, my e-mail address either by having been scraped off of DML
posts, or from sending out mailings on behalf of the Mid-Atlantic Club is
now marked by Hotmail and many other e-mail systems as a known spammer.  Now
I have to change my address because when I send people e-mail it
automatically goes to their junk mail bin.

Very sad that this kind of stuff happens.   :(

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:49:02 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Well I think it's helpfull for every owner to know,
that the door locks are a joke !

With only a few different Delorean keys you can open almost every
car !!!!!

And if you have no key a screw driver will do it, too.

At least the doors can be opened, the ignition key is something
different.

Everybody who parks his car outside should know that to
get some extra protection for it.

Those pager system are pretty good, not only because you can
drive the door openers with them, too.

Combined with radar detectors and shock sensors the protection
is pretty good. Also when several systems get switched off by
some extra relays, the car becomes undriveable without the
pager/remote. Unless somebody realy know this car, he won't
get it away without triggering the alarm.

Dani you said they cut your battery cables ?
Did they lift up the car or how did they get down there ?
Shock and motion / angle sensors would protect that, too.

Maybe it's time to build a Highvoltage protection system for
our stainless babies  ;-)

Elvis & 6548