Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2863
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:14 Sep 2005 18:52:50 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Robert Brady" <rbrady_at_dml_swfla.rr.com>

From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

24. Re: Cooling hose near AC
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Re: Radio Replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:05:14 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle

A friend of mine decided to engrave the vin number on the inside of each
body panel.  That way if they showed up on ebay or somewhere else, the
panels could be easily identified and the thief caught...

Just and idea that I thought was unique.

Jack.
20069, 10002

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage

Great, now I don't feel so bad...

01860 (automatic) also got about 20mpg on a recent
long trip.  Speeds around 80-90MPH.  I thought the MPG
was a little low because of the turbos, but maybe
not...  I am more used to driving the 5-speed on these
long trips, where the MPG is better.

As far has how to improve MPG, make sure the engine is
running properly.  Keep up to date with regular
tune-ups, oil changes, air filter change, tire
pressure, and so on.  Other than that, all you can do
is drive slower!

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?

Jeremiah,
Nice!  Living 10 minutes from something like this would be great!  This is the gold delorean that was at the Cleveland Delorean show back in 2000 which John Delorean attended.  The first and last production deloreans were side by side.

http://www.entermyworld.com/rare/index.html

Erik

Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
I feel so honored to even type this message!

http://tinyurl.com/dctwg

What a interesting find....

Could this be the "spare gold parts" car talked about
on old, old DeLorean websites? Vin 20105. If I cited
correctly, this is the "last" DeLorean ever built.

First Proto-1, now this. Exciting times for the
DeLorean community!

Jeremiah

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:03:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

This car was at DCS in 2000 (Cleveland).  Right next
to Vin 500.

Book ends.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:32:03 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

DML,
Yes, that is me sitting in the car.  The guy lives 10 minutes from my
house.  He is a very nice guy.  DMCMD mentioned to me that they would
like to meet Carl and see 20105.  Carl said "ok."  As long as he knows
we are coming.  Anyone else want to go?

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

http://tinyurl.com/dctwg

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:54:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Another thing to consider is Lo-Jack. Either instead of or to
compliment an alarm system. In large cities it is very successful at
recovering cars quickly. It is expensive. Most new car dealers offer
it for used cars but you cannot install it yourself. Not only must you
worry about the car getting stolen (rare but possible) you have to
consider losing whatever is inside the car. Much more likely than loss
of the car. Even if the car gets recovered usually anything inside the
car is going to be missing. The "best" protection is to talk with your
insurance agent and understand EXACTLY what your insurance covers.
Some insurance companies offer discounts if you have an alarm or
Lo-Jack. There are also companies that will engrave codes into body
panels and glass but that may only help after it is stolen and maybe
found.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:14:51 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!  Use that stainless so if they
even touch it, they get fried like a green tomato.  You could just
set the panels to be hot and if someone touches it...they become the
ground, that would help fix that problem eh?

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...>
wrote:

>> Well I think it's helpfull for every owner to know,
>> that the door locks are a joke !
>>
>> With only a few different Delorean keys you can open almost every
>> car !!!!!
>>
>> And if you have no key a screw driver will do it, too.
>>
>> At least the doors can be opened, the ignition key is something
>> different.
>>
>> Everybody who parks his car outside should know that to
>> get some extra protection for it.
>>
>> Those pager system are pretty good, not only because you can
>> drive the door openers with them, too.
>>
>> Combined with radar detectors and shock sensors the protection
>> is pretty good. Also when several systems get switched off by
>> some extra relays, the car becomes undriveable without the
>> pager/remote. Unless somebody realy know this car, he won't
>> get it away without triggering the alarm.
>>

>> Dani you said they cut your battery cables ?
>> Did they lift up the car or how did they get down there ?
>> Shock and motion / angle sensors would protect that, too.
>>
>> Maybe it's time to build a Highvoltage protection system for
>> our stainless babies  ;-)
>>
>> Elvis & 6548
>>

>> Wasn't there a thread a few months back - or maybe it was on the
>> "other" list - helping someone break into his car because he had

lost

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:43:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: VIN 6549

HELLO,

DOES ANYONE ON THE LIST KNOW THE WHEREABOUTS OF #6549?
 I CHECKED THE CHRONOLOGY AND NOTICED THAT IT IS
LISTED AS BEING IN CHULA VISTA, CA.  JUST WONDERING IF
IT IS STILL THERE.  I RECEIVED THE NAME OF A DELOREAN
OWNER THE OTHER DAY WHO LIVES IN CHULA VISTA AND OWNS
A DMC.  I CALLED THE OWNER BUT HE WOULD NOT TELL ME
WHAT THE VIN# WAS.  WAS THIS 6549??  PERHAPS...

-CHRIS

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:40:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DELOREAN SIGHTING

hello,

the other day I was at Alvarado hospital in San Diego,
California in the parking garage and noticed a
DeLorean in one of the reserved physician's parking
spaces.  I didn't catch the license plate, however it
was non-personalized (sequential).  Just wondering if
it is anyone on the list.

-Chris

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:07:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The automatic will always get worse mileage than a 5-speed. The
5-speed has a better gear ratio for cruising at hiway speeds and no
slippage in a torque converter. The best my automatic every gets is
21MPG. I could probably do better if I went a little slower than
75-80. The 5-speed will get around 24 MPG if it is set up right.
Having the turbo won't affect the mileage all that much if it is set
up right and you don't go into boost every time you step on the gas.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:37:18 -0000
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cooling hose near AC

I saw this picture on a french site.  I like how this is done.  Any
chance of a vendor creating these?  I would buy one for sure.

http://img289.imageshack.us/img289/1131/dscn00796xs.jpg

Erik

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:17:12 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Radio Replacement

I pulled out my original radio (it's shot) last night and am looking
at replacing it.  I would like to put in a cd player.  I'm afraid I'm
gonna have to do some cutting on the dash face plate in order to get a
new style (no knobs) radio to fit.  Does anyone have some
suggestions?  Is there a dash plate that I can replace the original
one with?  Is there any suggestions on Radio types or brands?

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:50:21 -0400
From: "Robert Brady" <rbrady_at_dml_swfla.rr.com>
Subject: Stolen in Seattle

It may take away from the value of the car ,
but every piece of glass in mine is eched with the vin. number
hard to hide unless you change all the glass

bob

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:31:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It's a great idea, but I wonder how the "bureaucratic
red tape" would play into it.  I can just see a
frivelous lawsuit now: "I saw the car man, and I just
wanted to touch it; I didn't think I'd get shocked.
There should be a warning label on it somewhere. O-wah
O-wah!"  Then again, in the times we live in...

Jeremiah

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:26:30 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

Congratulations on your exciting event, Jeremiah.  You must have been
thrilled to take those pictures.  Many of us saw 20105 at the DCS in
Cleveland, but we didn't get to sit in it.

This car is a darling of the DML, it has been mentioned in a number of
threads.  You can read some of its history in the back issues.  Look for
a report that Kapac (or perhaps Consolidated) sold this car by raffle
shortly after DMC closed its doors.

I believe the other gold DeLoreans are all VINed as 1981s.  This VIN is
from 1983, despite the lines in the hood.  That is strong evidence that
at least part of the car was assembled from parts leftover from the
original run of gold cars.

I would call VIN 20105 a gold plated DeLorean that was assembled at the
end of the 1983 model run.  I would not call it a 1983 DeLorean that was
gold plated.  Many 1983 DeLoreans left the factory with minor
peculiarities, but VIN 20105 puts them all to shame!

- Mike Substelny
  driving an ordinary stainless DeLorean

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Draft behind vehicles bigger than you (which is basically 95% of everything out
there).

Shannon Y
16506

--------------------------------
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:23:42 +0000
   From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

There are several ways to improve your gas mileage:

Make sure your car is tuned and working properly -
exhaust is in good shape (including catalytic converter),
shift points are correct, wheel bearings are in good shape,
tires are inflated correctly, your alignment is accurate,
and your brakes are not dragging.

Avoid jackrabbit starts and rapid acceleration

Avoid braking sharply.  Drive smoothly - easy on the
throttle, easy on the brakes.  Conserve momentum.
Cruising at a constant speed is preferred to speeding up
and slowing down - for traffic or intersections.

Drive the speed limit.  Aerodynamic drag is a function of
speed and it is not linear.  The faster you go, the more power
it takes to maintain that speed against the air.

Avoid the use of accessories like air conditioning.  AC
takes a surprising amount of power to run.

Use a good quality gas at the proper octane rating for the car.
Use the proper weight oil in the engine and gearbox.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:31:39 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling hose near AC

Don't count on getting one from DMCH.  That is the early routing with a
handsome polished aluminum pipe.  Some turbo installations use that
setup too.  It uses an arrangement that usually has the otterstat
pointing up, instead of down.  This makes the cooing system tougher to
bleed and has the effect of delaying the fan trip.  All this results in
an engine that will run hotter.  It's death down here and in the
Southwest.  The later setup works much better and is easier to service.
Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Just buy an early DeLorean, and they came this way!  I'm not sure why the company changed the design later, but I assume it was to avoid the "pain-in-the-ass" factor of cramming all that stuff in there (harder to work on).  Then again, maybe it corresponded with the otterstadt up/down change...  (?)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063-->updated with the late style cooling hose.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:48:45 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

These aren't hard to make.  I made a similar one for my automatic to
relocate the coolant hose so the turbo piping would fit.  I didn't
think to polish it though.

Dave Jacobs

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:43:49 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Port and Polish

Hi all.   I was just wondering if anyone on the list has ported and
polished thier cylinder heads.  Were the results favorable.  Is this
recommended for the prv?  Are there any performance camshafts
available from any of the vendors?  I would like to begin tuning up my
delorean and I want a little more than high power ignition, and fre
flow exhaust can provide.

Also, just as a curiosity, does any one know the process for mating
something like a chevy 350 or the cadillac engine to the delorean
transmission?

Thanks.

Matt 16076
DenverDeLorean

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:06:57 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Yes Erik

If you do find this stick me on the list :)... I have seen a couple of
cars over here that have that arrangment ... Alisters Pilot 25 im sure
has this... Must have been an alteration made at some point in pre /
production?

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:34:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

This would be great, IF YOU DON'T MIND STEEPING OVER THE BODIES OF ALL
THE PEOPLE THAT TOUCHED THE CAR!!! Of course you, as owner, must NEVER
forget to shut the system off before you touched the car!!!!!

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:34:43 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

The early VIN cars came with that as a stock piece.  Check out the
sales brochure, the picture of the engine has that metal tube/hose in
it.  I'm not 100% sure why they eliminated it.

-Patrick C.
1880

On Sep 14, 2005, at 10:37 AM, dmcerik wrote:

>> I saw this picture on a french site.  I like how this is done.  Any
>> chance of a vendor creating these?  I would buy one for sure.
>>
>> http://img289.imageshack.us/img289/1131/dscn00796xs.jpg
>>
>> Erik

>> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

>> www.dmcnews.com
>>
>> To search the archives or view files, log in at http://
>> groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>> Yahoo! Groups Links

Patrick Conlon

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:49:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Radio Replacement

Check with DMCH. They have an adapter that will fit and allow the use
of the newer din style radios. You might also consider a remote CD
changer. The way to go nowadays is with an Ipod or similar device. No
more CD's to carry and a much larger capacity. You can also carry the
Ipod (and all your music) with you when you leave the car. With
today's technology CD's are already a thing of the past! I know
someone with a small computer in their car with a 100 Gig drive with
thousands of songs. Then there is also satellite radio. Try
crutchfield.com for ideas. Whatever you do try to stay flexible. The
technology is changing so fast anything you do will be obsolete before
you know it. There is GPS, cellular communications, DVD, text, Cd,
cassette, lighting, radar and lidar detectors, etc. It is hard to keep up.