Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2864
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:15 Sep 2005 00:09:12 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. new to list
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. 81 DeLorean for sale... (Daily Driver)
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Gas Mileage
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

5. Re: Port and Polish
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

6. Re: Cooling hose near AC
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Eibach Vs.
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Cooling hose near AC
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Re: 81 DeLorean for sale... (Daily Driver)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. service
From: "aringue" <aringue_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: new to list

 Hi all, I am new to the list as I just drove home my
first Delorean (#2969) this week. I have a few other
cars but have wanted to ad a Delorean for some time. I
have been reading the list archives for answers to my
questions so not to be repetitive. I look forward to
the knowledge I can recieve from you. Thanks, Brian
Davis, Auburn, CA

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:05:42 -0400
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: 81 DeLorean for sale... (Daily Driver)

1981 DeLorean for sale here in central NJ with 77k miles. If you are looking
for a solid daily driver that you can drive and enjoy while fixing some
minor issues to make it perfect, this is the car for you. It needs some
things done to be "perfect", but nothing major. It looks and drives very
nicely and it's definitely a lot nicer than some DeLoreans I've seen at
various car shows. It has had a lot of important (expensive) new parts
installed like new exhaust manifold gaskets and studs, new rebuilt steering
rack from PJ Grady, Fanzilla, new updated window motors, all recalls done,
etc. The frame is clean and rust free. The exterior and interior are nice
with few issues. It has a nice CD player installed too. The car has been
serviced at PJ Grady's and I have all service records and receipts. There
are some books and manuals that come with the car, including some neat
memorabilia.

If you just want a DeLorean to drive and don't care about perfection, then
it's more than ready to go. It's definitely not perfect, but it is very
nice. The asking price is $16,000 and well worth it. Price is negotiable. I
am selling it for a friend of mine, and this deal is on the up and up with a
clean title. I've been on the DML for many years and some may have some of
their own opinions on me personally, but nobody can dispute my honesty.

Please contact me privately at DanRC30(at)hotmail.com only if you are
serious. I have pics available upon request, but if you're just looking for
pics of a DeLorean for yourself, please just do a google search. I'm trying
to place a nice DeLorean with a good home and owner.

Thanks,
---Evil Dan

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:13:29 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage

I realize it's not very applicable to you, since you have an
automatic, but 1776 has a BAE turbo and 5 speed, and gets 23-26 mpg at
speeds of 70-75 mph.  Discounting the transmission, our cars are
probably getting rather comporable mileage.

Eric C

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:34:30 -0400
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle

David,

This is just more security through obscurity.  I seriously doubt any
professional car thief is lurking on a relatively obscure Yahoo group just
waiting for bits of information on how to break into and steal a De Lorean.
If a car thief wants the car they will get it no matter what.

The more information like this is shared among the group the better off
everyone is to prevent this from happening to them, or being scammed during
a new purchase.  For example, if people knew how easy it was to replace the
VIN tags they may look more closely at the tags for signs of tampering
during a potential purchase.

Lastly, posting HOW to do something is not illegal or wrong; the act of
following through is.  This applies to anything and not just our cars.  Any
person following this "recipe" to commit a crime is the guilty party, not
the person discussing how it can be done so everyone can be better educated
to protect themselves, and their car.

Greg

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:52:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Port and Polish

IMHO porting and polishing will not get you very much on the PRV. If
you do any serious porting you will reduce the veolcity of the
air-fuel charge which is not a good thing. Polishing can always help
but the insides of the passages are nowhere near as rough as on
american cars so you are not going to gain much by polishing. Doing
the intake would be difficult. There is some merit to keeping the
surfaces rough. Many are of the opinion that it causes turbulance
which helps keep the air-fuel mixture mixed well. Of course, if you do
the intake you have to do something for the exhaust or you really do
not see much improvement. The biggest bang for the buck is just
getting a better flowing exhaust system, never mind the porting and
polishing. Whatever you do, do not expect a whole lot. Without
extensive modifacations it will be difficult to see any significant
improvement.
 Mating a different motor to the trans will, in most cases, require a
custom built bell housing.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:42:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling hose near AC

Why couldn't it be "redesigned" so that stuff wouldn't happen?  Come on...it can't be that hard.

Erik

Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com> wrote:
Don't count on getting one from DMCH. That is the early routing with a
handsome polished aluminum pipe. Some turbo installations use that
setup too. It uses an arrangement that usually has the otterstat
pointing up, instead of down. This makes the cooing system tougher to
bleed and has the effect of delaying the fan trip. All this results in
an engine that will run hotter. It's death down here and in the
Southwest. The later setup works much better and is easier to service.
Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:57:07 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Eibach Vs.

Aloha,
My Delorean has "FRONT AND REAR PERF SHOCKS FROM HOUSTON (NOT EIBACH)s " and
"PJ GRADYS FRONT LOWERING SPRINGS"  The ride is kinda bumpy and I was
wondering how much better the Eibach system would be than my current set up.
  I would imagine that the eibach springs would be a little bumpy too?
Has anybody felt the difference between somethign like I have vs. the Eibach
system and would it be worth the $1000 to change over?
-Alex

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:01:14 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

If you've ever tried to service the cooling system, the compressor,
or adjust the valves with that pipe in place you'd know. It's a total
pain in the neck to get in and out because you can't (easily) slide
it back to disengage the hose from the water pump. I can see why they
took it out. It looks nicer than the Big Ugly Hose but that's about
all. If you have that in your car your otterstat is probably upside
down too unless someone's cut the tube and rotated it.

It was used on the very early cars, and is (was) a common retrofit on
early turbo conversions to get the hose out of the way of the turbo
piping.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> The early VIN cars came with that as a stock piece.  Check out the
>> sales brochure, the picture of the engine has that metal tube/hose

in

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:19:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 81 DeLorean for sale... (Daily Driver)

Not that my reputation is any better Dan......  BUT;

I looked at and drove this car last weekend.  Another
DML'er sent me there to check it out for him.

This is a solid driver.  Looks to be a good car for
someone looking to buy it and drive it home for a good
price, and still have some small items for weekend
projects.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:23:04 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Want to see a Gold DeLorean?

When I was taking pics of the car.  I noticed the rear pontoon looking
through the windows had the rough finish.  Didn't early 1981 models
have the rough finish?

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD
(10 minutes from Gold DeLorean)

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:22:55 -0000
From: "aringue" <aringue_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: service

Original owner of Delorean has been serviced by Delorean One in Los
Angeles.  I need to find someone closer to home Does anyone have a
good mechanic in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ray