Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2865
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:15 Sep 2005 14:41:52 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Brent Beecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

From: "Tate Coghlan" <tcogh_at_dml_alltel.net>

From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

18. Re: VIN Conflict
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

20. Re: VIN Conflict
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

21. Re: Stolen in Seattle
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

22. Minnesota-area Delorean's for sale & odd ebay dmc-12
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>

23. RE: new to list
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. RE: Gas Mileage
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. RE: DeLorean PayPal Scam
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:41:11 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Port and Polish

 Thanks David, I'll probably forgo the polishing then

I was hoping to purchase the DMCH exhaust in the near future, or the
british counter part if i can find one. But was skeptical of spending
1400+ for a different sound and look, but not much more performance.
I have heard claims of 40 hp as a result of the DMCH exhaust.  Is this
accurate, seems like alot.  Has anyone on list purchased it? If so,
what are your feelings about the new system?
(Any one from DMCH, feel free to chime in)

Without

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:44:38 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Key Blank question

X29, like SpecialT said...I can cut you one from code if you
like...and send it to you..

Locksmith DMC 05905

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Hi all, I was wondering. Is it possible to use a generic key when
>> copying my DeLorean's original? I had an extra for my old '93

Plymouth

>> and a towing company "lost" it when I had it worked on...grr. >_<
>> Should I order an original DMC blank? Mine is a 1982 with the single
>> entry/ignition type. I've always had at least 2 for any car I've

owned

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:48:48 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage

Oddly, I think the best thing you can do for your mileage is to increase
your horsepower.

I will double-check my travel logs to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that
I get about 30MPG on long trips with my DMCH Stage II engine.  And that is
while travelling in the left lane with the speedometer pegged (we drive
fast here in Texas).  In city driving I usually get about 220 miles from a
tank of about 11 gallons.  Not bad considering that I drive it like I
stole it.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: new to list

Welcome Brian, enjoy living the dream.

Joey
Catonsville, MD

--- Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>>  Hi all, I am new to the list as I just drove home
>> my
>> first Delorean (#2969) this week.

Yahoo! for Good

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:12:51 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Personally I am far more concerned about vandalism than theft (or,
"amateur-hour" theft).  I've heard of DMCs with their hoods *bent* up at
the corner, broken glass in the rear quarterpanel ("wait, this isn't
INSIDE the car?") broken louvers, stolen front grills, stolen wheel caps,
etc. etc.  People want a piece of history, I guess.

This is part of the reason why I DON'T want to see the DMC values
increase.  At $100,000, these cars *will* be stolen.

On a more disturbing note, I've had more than one stranger tell me that
the doors would pop open if you hit the car just right.  I'm assuming that
they're referring to the early and faulty inertia switches, which were
prone to accidental disengagement (usually by the driver's foot). Tripping
the inertia switch should make the doors unlock, but doing this from
outside the car is impossible (unless the car is upside-down!!!).  I would
just hate to see some misinformed thrill-seeker kicking the crap out of my
car in a vain attempt to open the doors, gads.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:48:31 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: service

Go on the web to ncdmc.org and see what they have listed.  This is the
website of Northern California DM Club.  Ken Montgomery is the contact
person for that group.  They should know some shops in your area.  If
they can't help, contact me off the list.

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA

http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1
281/441-2537
281/441-2813 Fax

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:14:54 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Brandon:

Not advisable - unfortunately one would need to complete the circuit and
ground the chassis of the car to earth - the best way to do this is to
come up with a heavy chain,  affix it to the frame and let it drag
underneath.  As any of us who have done this can tell you, it makes for
lots of sparks while driving, and further cuts down on gas mileage - and
once you park the car you eventually give up on the electrocution system
as it drains the battery and you just end up using a bike lock to tie
your ground chain to a telephone pole.  As you can see its really ends
up being a lot more work than it sounds -

Tom

PS - and it takes hours with a blending pad to get the charred flesh off
the stainless anyway - for an adult sized handprint anyway - kids are
smaller so its faster.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:24:20 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Welcome aboard Brian D.

Lingo #2034

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:22:35 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Eibach Vs.

Alex.. I can only speak of going from a stock system that had been lowered
to the Eibach Springs and Struts.  The ride is a harder ride but it handles
like it is on rails.  Incredible handling and the ride is much more like a
sports car than the original ride was.  Eibach was a big step but I'm happy  I
made it.

Roy  #0893

In a message dated 9/14/2005 4:09:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

Aloha,
My Delorean has "FRONT AND REAR PERF SHOCKS FROM HOUSTON (NOT  EIBACH)s " and
"PJ GRADYS FRONT LOWERING SPRINGS"  The ride is kinda  bumpy and I was
wondering how much better the Eibach system would be than  my current set up.
I would imagine that the eibach springs would be  a little bumpy too?
Has anybody felt the difference between  somethign like I have vs. the Eibach
system and would it be worth the  $1000 to change over?
-Alex

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Exciting to see it sitting in your garage/driveway
isn't it =)?  First thing you may want to d is add an
alarm.  As I'm sure you've witnessed this week, that
has been a hot topic here on the list.

Jeremiah

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Not to be argumentative, but recently there was a tech
article on how to pull a "Macgyver" to get to unlock
the car.  While this is good for those who do honestly
lock themselves out, I think that it could provoke
theft a bit more easily.  Now granted, there aren't
going to be a lot of "serious professional" car
thieves lurking on our yahoo group or any other
DeLorean information outlet for that matter - it still
provides a method that they can learn.  With the
recent thefts of DeLorean parts right off the cars and
now an unfortunate car jacking altogether, some
thieves seem to have the time to do on a
better-than-amateur level.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's almost BETTER for
someone to accidentally lock themselves out of their
DeLorean.  While that may sound very pompous and
almost rude - especially to those who have done it -
I'll be willing to bet that most haven't locked
themselves out a second time.  Sometimes learning from
one's mistakes is the best way to drill a point home -
experience being the ultimate teacher so to speak.  I
always have at least 2 sets of keys back at the house
so if I have absolutely no choice, I can get a set of
keys from the house and - vola - fixed.  Now if I'm
away from the house.....that's a different story.  One
nice thing about having the door solenoids unhooked
(as of right now), doesn't give the door locks much of
a chance to "accidentally" lock.  I always try to have
a place for my keys before I even get out of my car.
For instance, my Delorean keys have a clip that goes
to one of my belt loops.  Before I can lock the doors,
I try to always attach the keys to my belt loop - that
way I'm just about guaranteed to not forget my keys in
the car.  So far so good.

Anyhoo, just my thoughts on this recent topic - not an
attack or insulting comment to anyone in particular.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:08:39 -0000
From: "Brent Beecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

For what it's worth, I owned the car free and clear, and still have
both sets of keys.  Still no
word from the cops.  I sent a brief description of the event to the
local papers and news
stations, since it couldn't hurt anything.  No apparent interest.

Thanks very much to all who have expressed sympathy.  I hope that the
conversation that has
ensued has made other cars safer.

Brent

Behalf Of

>> David Teitelbaum

>> Subject: [DML] Re: Stolen in Seattle

This could be a case of someone with a key "borrowing" the car or
maybe it was repossesed.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:24:16 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Power window trouble

Yes they are somewhat repairable. I got lucky with mine and it was able
to be put back together and now works beautiful. My gear and cable
separated from the motor, a couple whacks with a screwdriver and hammer
and it is 1 piece again.

Thanks again Dave for helping me.

Mark V

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 01:28:08 +0100
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: PODCASTS

Hi All

Anyone thought of doing a Delorean program on the iTunes podcasting system??

I have been looking at a way of doing it, and if we can get some stories together and maybe even a weekly technical slot then this free service really should be used....

Any ideas?

Alistair
Northern Ireland.

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 01:18:42 -0000
From: "Tate Coghlan" <tcogh_at_dml_alltel.net>
Subject: VIN Conflict

I've been "lurking" here for some time and recently purchased my
second (restoration project) Delorean.

This car is VIN 16908 (1983 model) with an August 1982 build date.
Written on both doors however (underneath the headliner) and on the
frame under the rear fascia is V11908.  The drivers side door also has
a handwritten date of February 11, 1982 (11/2/82 Euro style).  All of
the emissions stickers are per the 1983 standards but the one inside
the drivers door is clearly placed over another one  (presumably 1982?).

I've seen postings before about handwritten VIN's on doors not
matching the finished car but the contradicting dates & exactly 5000
difference made me wonder if anyone had seen this before and/or might
have a plausible explanation.

Tate Coghlan

1494 & 16908(?)

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:54:55 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Key Blank question

Most of the blanks are junk compared to the repros.
I've used the ilco's to make keys from code, and used an ilco as my key for
several years against my own better judgement until it sheared off in the
ignition, and my ignition isn't stiff or rough at all.
The repro head keys are just better-- they are a tougher metal and feel so
much nicer when you start the car. Definitely worth it.

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 17 Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:03:33 -0500 From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net> Subject: Re: Gas Mileage Gus Schlachter wrote:

>>Oddly, I think the best thing you can do for your mileage is to increase
>>your horsepower.
>>
>>I will double-check my travel logs to be certain, but I'm pretty sure that
>>I get about 30MPG on long trips with my DMCH Stage II engine.  And that is
>>while travelling in the left lane with the speedometer pegged (we drive
>>fast here in Texas).  In city driving I usually get about 220 miles from a
>>tank of about 11 gallons.  Not bad considering that I drive it like I
>>stole it.
>>

>>Gus Schlachter
>>VIN #4695
>>Austin, Texas

This is easy to explain..  when dealing with the exact same engine
block, (same displacement, etc)  the only way to boost HP, at least
naturally aspirated,  is to increase the engine's  efficiency (Which is
what porting/polishing the heads, free flowing exhaust, etc does) A more
efficient engine will do more work for the same amount of gas, or use
less gas to do the same amount of work.. depending on how you look at
it.   Though a 5mpg boost or so is quite a jump.. Makes me wonder even
more what DMCH does to the engines..

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:30:14 EDT
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: VIN Conflict

Hey,

I own a 1983 with VIN# 16909. Coinsidence.

boB  Cutrupi

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:29:56 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

I must not be thinking this through all the way, but how do you lock your
keys in the car?  As far as I know the only way to lock a (stock) delorean
is using the key from the outside, so how could you lock them inside?  I
know I've heard of this happening before so it must be possible, just seemed
odd.  I hope no one who has done this takes offense  :-)

Todd Nelson,
1561, Vermont

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:33:27 -0400
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

Tate, I found the same thing on #17084. Taking off the headliners from the
door, I saw the original vin of 12084 with a build date of Aug 1st '82
(BTW - that is a Sunday - was the factory open Sundays?). Others might know
more, but I was under the impression that a number of cars were set aside to
convert to other then the US build. That would include the right hand drive
and the Canadian spec cars. Have a look at the DML production chronology and
the close grouping of 16xxx and 17xxx vins that are built to different
specs.

- Mike Walsh

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:39:27 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Re: Stolen in Seattle

Thanks and well spoken timnagin!!
That was  my point in  that message,To make people aware,of the
Delorean shortfalls in that matter,To make people aware that a
Delorean is not nessarlly stolen for its parts value,but for its
value as a "whole car",and most importantlly,to carefully check the
vins,when making a purchase,and to look closely at any Delorean where
things do not match up with the vin and year,as a suspect for a vin
change,as I am sure that there must be at least a few Deloreans
running around with "suspect" vins.Because you MUST remember-- if you
happen to own one of those "suspect" vehicles,you lose your rights to
that Delorean(and all monies paid for it(and put into it)and the real
(true) owner gets the car back,with all your improvements.And you
might also face criminal charges.So Buyer Beware,and don't just check
for a rusty frame.Also remember carfax is USELESS for a car
with "suspect" vins,as it will only give info,for the Vin numbers not
the actual car.ALWAYS ALWAYS check the vin plates for tampering.One
very good idea is to have the VIN NUMBER etched into the
fiberglass,in about 20 plus different areas,as the fiberglass body IS
the Vin! And as the fiberglass is a soft material,it could be done
with almost any tool.I did it to vin #00570,when I had the rear
Qpanel off.Even putting it under the headliner with a black marker is
better than nothing,but would be confused with the orignal stuff
there.Etching the fenders or SS on the backside is risky,as it MIGHT
also etch onto the outside finish surface.A good spot would be the
fenderwells,because that usually fills with dirt and "hides" the Vin
number,and easy to check on a "parked Delorean",a little rubbing and
the numbers are exposed.
Just my 3cents on protecting your "D"
and not living a nightmare

CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> David,
>>
>> This is just more security through obscurity.  I seriously doubt any
>> professional car thief is lurking on a relatively obscure Yahoo

group just

>> waiting for bits of information on how to break into and steal a De

Lorean.

>> If a car thief wants the car they will get it no matter what.
>>
>> The more information like this is shared among the group the better

off

>> everyone is to prevent this from happening to them, or being

scammed during

>> a new purchase.  For example, if people knew how easy it was to

replace the

>> VIN tags they may look more closely at the tags for signs of

tampering

>> during a potential purchase.
>>
>> Lastly, posting HOW to do something is not illegal or wrong; the

act of

>> following through is.  This applies to anything and not just our

cars.  Any

>> person following this "recipe" to commit a crime is the guilty

party, not

>> the person discussing how it can be done so everyone can be better

educated

>> to protect themselves, and their car.
>>
>> Greg

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 03:32:21 -0000
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>
Subject: Minnesota-area Delorean's for sale & odd ebay dmc-12

I don't normally don't solicit people to sell their car, however I'm
getting close to making a offer on a Delorean fairly far from home
and thought I would make a last effort at finding something in the
local-ish market.   Towards that end, I'm asking if anyone knows (or
is) a Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa owner that is preparing to sell
their car, or is on the fence about it to let me know.  (looking for
a 5-speed grey, in the $15-18k range) Please contact me offline
(ncskalsk(AT.)mtu.edu), or post the vehicle in the `for sale' section
of dmcnews.

Related to my recent efforts, I emailed the seller of a newly listed
Delorean  on ebay very early Tuesday (9/13/05; 1-2am).  It was listed
as located in Ohio, grey, 5-speed.  The glove box door was signed by
John Delorean.  Among other things, I asked him if the car was at the
2000 Cleveland convention ( I remember John signing a few there).
Within 20 minutes the auction was removed from ebay.   Could be a
case of sellers remorse, outright e-fraud with someone elses
pictures, or worse.  I figured I would post this since there seems to
be some dmc-list activity on the subject of black market D's /
fraud.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:41:59 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Welcome to the list Brian.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:15:11 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Gary, I'll add a little to what mike said. Not knowing how many miles are on
the car. Be sure the 02 sensor is good and the fuel mixture is adjusted
properly. If that is to far off then the mileage will be bad because your
running to rich.
I have car coming in to the shop that sound just like what you have and will
check all of what Gary said + the 02 and the cat.
We are now selling the new performance catalytic converters that will help
the mileage and performance on a stock set up.
John Hervey.

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:21:28 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean PayPal Scam

Patrick, I had one also last week and called Pay Pal and we set up a new
account. Do it quick.