Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2866
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:15 Sep 2005 22:36:19 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

8. Instruments for sale
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: VIN Conflict (more, long)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: Key Blank question
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Radio
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. VIN 20105 Gold DeLorean (under the headliners)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

13. Re: VIN Conflict (more, long)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. Re: Key Blank question
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: Re: Port and Polish
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: new to list
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: big fan, i would like to be in the know
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: VIN Conflict (more, long)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: big fan, i would like to be in the know
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: new to list
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Minnesota-area Delorean's for sale & odd ebay dmc-12
From: "whydoismellsodarnbad" <whydoismellsodarnbad_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Question about SSI numbers
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:00:51 -0000
From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Eibach Vs.

Hello Alex,

On mine, I have the PJ Grady Performance shocks absorbers and DMCH
Eibach springs, everything was stock before. Now, it's like night
and day.
Before, I used to drive my car fast only on good highways, now as I
feel myself safer in, I can drive it faster even on sinuous roads.
Maybe it could be even better, maybe not...

On my car, the only "default" is that the front is still too high,
about 1".

Best regards from France,

Chris.
#04271 / DL1981.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

>> Aloha,
>> My Delorean has "FRONT AND REAR PERF SHOCKS FROM HOUSTON (NOT

EIBACH)s " and

>> "PJ GRADYS FRONT LOWERING SPRINGS"  The ride is kinda bumpy and I

was

>> wondering how much better the Eibach system would be than my

current set up.

>>   I would imagine that the eibach springs would be a little bumpy

too?

>> Has anybody felt the difference between somethign like I have vs.

the Eibach

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:40:36 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Gus - In considering the Wings-A-Loft Elite System, you can have a
radar sensor that sets up two perimeters - inside the car's cabin, and
another for about three feet around the car.  When somebody stops to
look at the car, and loiters for a brief period of time, the alarm
will softly chirp to let them know that the car is "armed and
dangerous".  At the same time, the system will send a signal to the
paging remote, and you will be informed that somebody is simply
loitering around the car.  If they jostle the car, or reach a hand
through a window, etc., the alarm will sound in full force, and the
remote will tell you that the car in being threatened.  In my opinion,
this is the ideal system for preventing vandalism, because you know
what is happening with the car very early, and can charge to the
rescue if required.  The would-be vandal is also informed early that
the car is on alert status.  *Most* thieves and vandals prefer the
simpler targets - a good "early warning" alarm represents a complexity
that they simply want to avoid.  Just a thought.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> Personally I am far more concerned about vandalism than theft (or,
>> "amateur-hour" theft).  I've heard of DMCs with their hoods *bent*

up at the corner, broken glass in the rear quarterpanel ("wait, this
isn't INSIDE the car?") broken louvers, stolen front grills, stolen
wheel caps, etc. etc.  People want a piece of history, I guess.

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:52:49 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: VIN Conflict

15XXX and 16XXX VIN's are 10XXX and 11XXX VIN's that missed the l;ast
DMC boat out of of Belfast and were re-VIN'd as '83 models by
Consolidated International. 17XXX VIN's appear to be all 12XXX VIN's
jusing by the VIN under the headliner.

Glued on dash VIN plates (vs riveted) and 1983 emission labels palced
ove rthe top of the 82 labels are giveaways that those particular cars
were among the re-VIN'd ones.

This accounts for skipped numbers in the 10XXX, 11XXX, 15XXX and 16XXX
VIN series. For example, your VIN 16908 means that there is no VIN
11908 in existence.

James

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tate Coghlan" <tcogh_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> I've been "lurking" here for some time and recently purchased my
>> second (restoration project) Delorean.
>>
>> This car is VIN 16908 (1983 model) with an August 1982 build date.
>> Written on both doors however (underneath the headliner) and on the
>> frame under the rear fascia is V11908.  The drivers side door also has
>> a handwritten date of February 11, 1982 (11/2/82 Euro style).  All of
>> the emissions stickers are per the 1983 standards but the one inside
>> the drivers door is clearly placed over another one  (presumably

1982?).

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:25:04 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Key Blank question

Interesting, I've never had a key break unless it use twisted to hard or
something happened.

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0000
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

As the author of said artical I am not offended. However I did lock
myself out my car after just having purchased it. Unfortunatly the
car only came with one key and on the second day of ownership one of
my neighbours who was admiring the car had been messing around with
the switches (central locking) and shut the open door hence how the
car became locked with the only key inside. And yes I did kick
myself for not getting another cut within an hour or two of getting
the car. I published the artical in the hope that it would help any
one in the same situation, as we ALL do sometimes make mistakes, and
it is a very time consuming method of opening the car and even then
you still dont have a key to start it. Should the owners of the list
feel that the artical is inapropriate I'm sure that they will remove
it, however I do not think that it is.

Chris
VIN#4584
three spare keys now cut!!!!!!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:42:01 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: RE: Re: Stolen in Seattle

Jeremiah wrote:

>> . . . recently there was a tech article
>> on how to pull a "Macgyver" to get to unlock
>> the car.  While this is good for those who do honestly
>> lock themselves out, I think that it could provoke
>> theft a bit more easily.  Now granted, there aren't
>> going to be a lot of "serious professional" car
>> thieves lurking on our yahoo group . . .

Remember, the DML is not private, and it is not restricted to its
present subscribers.  The back issues are available to the whole world
forever.  Search engines like Google constantly index these archives.
Today, if you Google the words "how to break into a delorean" you will
get three hits, all from the DML archives.  As soon as Google finds this
message there will be four hits.  Rest assured that these posts contain
no information useful to a thief.

We must expect future generations of DeLorean enthusiasts, detractors,
and thieves to read every word we post on the DML.

- Mike Substelny
  VIN 01280
  Posting for posterity?

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:02:47 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: removing engine and trans

John,

Well for sure I want to replace the oil pan gasket, front main seal,
timing cover gasket, and anything else that is hard to get to with the
engine in the car.  My passenger side exhaust manifold gasket is
leaking which is what prompted me to want to pull the motor.  I'd also
like to replace motor mounts, and bead blast and paint the motor.  As
far as deeper work, the last time I did a compression test one of my
cylinders was about 20 psi below the others, so I would like to find
out why that is.

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:50:04 -0000
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Instruments for sale

I have some instrument gauges for sale.  All but the speedometer.  All
the gauges were working when removed.

Volt Gauge - $45
Tach - $60
Oil - $45
Telltale - $12
Cluster Lense - $40

I also have a cracked back binnicle.  It has a thin crack down the
center that "Y's" near the back of the binnicle.  Make an offer.

Or, if you want the entire thing as it sits, I'll sell it for $200.  $2
less than if you bought the listed seperate...which means the binnicle
is free and the plastic casing that the gauges are mounted too along
with the bulbs, electrical...you know the rest.  Contact me off the
list if you are interested.

Erik

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:25:22 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: VIN Conflict (more, long)

Mike,

Does it say 8/1/82 or 1/8/82? The former would actually be January
8th, 1982. We have VIN 17144 here (12144 under the headliners) and
written on that door is 18/2/82 - Feb 18th 1982.

In your case, Jan 8th was a Friday and Feb 8th (more likely) was a
Monday. Of the cars that I have seen over the here at DMC, all 10XXX
and 15XXX cars have Dec 81 dates under the headliners, and 11XXX and
16XXX cars have Jan 82 dates under the headliners, 17XXX cars are
actually 12XXX cars and have Feb 82 dates under the headliners.

Interestingly, there are a number of 20XXX doors here in the
warehouse. Almost all of these doors are completely assembled with
glass, lock mechanisms, window mechanisms, solenoids and in some cases
interior trim. Based on the final 20XXX VIN believed to be 20104 (plus
the gold car, 20105), these doors were assembled for cars that were
never built or in one or two cases (noted below), may have been built
but the originally intended door for some reason was not used (failed
QC check?).

20093 dated 8-4-82
20104 dated 25-3-82
20113 dated 19-1-82
20115 dated 12-1-82
20116 dated 12-1-82
20117 dated 19-4-82

There are also a number of doors dated 13-5-82, with no VIN. We know
the doors were built on their own assembly line, and according to SSI,
an extra 500 sets of doors were made. I'm thinking more and more that
the dates on the doors are the dates the *door shells* were assembled,
and the VIN and key codes were added once it got attached to a door.

In the heyday of production (most of 1981) doors were stuck on cars
probably just as soon as they could get the doors assembled, so the
dates written on the doors match up pretty good with VIN plate build
dates.

But as production started and stopped (again and again) through 1982,
that was probably less of a problem. Hence, door shells that were
assembled earlier in Jan/Feb/Mar of 1982, may not have gotten
"assigned" to cars (and therefore VINs) until much later - explaining
the 20XXX doors above. It's a theory.   :-)

We don't see many 20XXX cars here in Houston, but I would be
interested in knowing what is written under their headliners in the
way of VIN's and dates.

James

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Tate, I found the same thing on #17084. Taking off the headliners

from the

>> door, I saw the original vin of 12084 with a build date of Aug 1st '82
>> (BTW - that is a Sunday - was the factory open Sundays?). Others

might know

>> more, but I was under the impression that a number of cars were set

aside to

>> convert to other then the US build. That would include the right

hand drive

>> and the Canadian spec cars. Have a look at the DML production

chronology and

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:03:31 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Key Blank question

As far as key code, I only have three letters (no numbers) on the
shaft. Is this it?

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:19:51 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Radio

I pulled my radio out the other night.  I removed the center console
cover. It wasn't too hard, plus it allowed me to clean out th3 23
years worth of grime.(also found some chafed wires and a cracked
vacuum line). All of the nuts are visable on the center console. You
will have to unhook the window & defrost switches & lighter.  There
are 2 screws, 1 on each side towards the front of the console up
under the dash board(1 under passanger side dash and 1 under drivers
side dash) that hold the upper side wing portion of the console
cover.  Remove the whole console cover and you can reach right
behing the radio and remove the bolt holding it in. Mine was only
finger tight so I just unscrewed it with my fingers. Drop the rear
of the radio down and then pull the front up through the opening
where the vents were.  Then you should be able to reach in and
disconnect all the wiring. I just bought a newer cd player today.
Maybe I'll get time tonight to install it.  I'll let you know how it
goes. Or if you've already put yours in, let me know how it goes.
I've been told I should replace the speakers too, as they weren't
very good speakers to start with.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:26:49 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: VIN 20105 Gold DeLorean (under the headliners)

Matt,

Some of the pics you took show the headliners removed - anything
written under there? Be interesting to know...

James

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:27:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

When trying to interpet dates you must be aware that in Europe it is
very common to go Date-Month-Year. In America it is Month-Date-Year. I
know they were working for the American market primaraly but you have
to wonder if they fell back into old habits and transposed the Month
and the Date. Easy to figure out if the first number group is larger
than 12, not so easy otherwise. The date might also be the order date,
not the actual construction date, you have to wonder if ALL the doors
could be built on the same day. It could also be that all the doors
built that week had the same date so they knew who was building doors
that batch/week. These are the kind of questions it would be great to
be able to ask former workers from the factory.

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:11:02 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Key code won't be on the key itself. For your car it should be a 4
digit number, beginning with a "7". You'll find more details about
locating your key code here:

http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/keys.html

Molded head repro key blanks are $12.95 each, part number 109100.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2164&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

I cna cut to the code, as well, if needed. Email me for details.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:55:50 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Port and Polish

heh... I'll post on this in a few days. I'm there now... (so Mark, if you
are examining the IP address of this email, that's the reason. It really is
me)
It looks awesome!
-Kevin

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:32:28 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: new to list

I just got my DMC 2 weeks ago.  They are a fun car to drive and also
a fun car to work on.  The first thing I bought was a workshop
manual ($48) from http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=12 My wife
complained as she spent less $$ for a dress, but it has saved me
several hundred dollars so far.

wrote:

>> Exciting to see it sitting in your garage/driveway
>> isn't it =)?  First thing you may want to d is add an
>> alarm.  As I'm sure you've witnessed this week, that
>> has been a hot topic here on the list.
>>
>> Jeremiah
>>
>> --- Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_y...> wrote:

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:12:58 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: big fan, i would like to be in the know

On 9/13/05, Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Do you have proof of this "blessing"?

John Z laid his hands on Stephen Wynne's head and said "bless you, child. Go
in my company's name". Contrary to legend, James did not put on goat skins
or any other kind of costume while Stephen was hunting for the soup and
steal the blessing.

 ;-)
-Kevin

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Which muffler does 17144 have on it?

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

SEE, I knew it was a scam.   The ritual is supposed to
include chicken bones!

 :)

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:11:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You have just GOT to tell us where your wife shops! Anyway I like your
attitude. Most newcomers will say a lot of things about working on a
Delorean, fun is not one of them!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I just got my DMC 2 weeks ago.  They are a fun car to drive and also
>> a fun car to work on.  The first thing I bought was a workshop
>> manual ($48) from http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=12 My wife
>> complained as she spent less $$ for a dress, but it has saved me

oderator snip]

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:12:14 -0000
From: "whydoismellsodarnbad" <whydoismellsodarnbad_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Minnesota-area Delorean's for sale & odd ebay dmc-12

I think those zero feedback people selling a D come up so often that
it could actually be a regular feature.  They copy the whole page.
Does the DML harvest info off ebay to add it to the VIN List?

--S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> I don't normally don't solicit people to sell their car, however

I'm

>> getting close to making a offer on a Delorean fairly far from home
>> and thought I would make a last effort at finding something in the
>> local-ish market.   Towards that end, I'm asking if anyone knows

(or

>> is) a Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa owner that is preparing to sell
>> their car, or is on the fence about it to let me know.  (looking

for

>> a 5-speed grey, in the $15-18k range) Please contact me offline
>> (ncskalsk(AT.)mtu.edu), or post the vehicle in the `for sale'

section

>> of dmcnews.
>>
>> Related to my recent efforts, I emailed the seller of a newly

listed

>> Delorean  on ebay very early Tuesday (9/13/05; 1-2am).  It was

listed

>> as located in Ohio, grey, 5-speed.  The glove box door was signed

by

>> John Delorean.  Among other things, I asked him if the car was at

the

>> 2000 Cleveland convention ( I remember John signing a few

there).

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:44:52 -0000
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Question about SSI numbers

On pages 84 and 93 of Stainless Steel Illusions, you see two cars.
Page 84 has a picture of the 1000th Delorean made.  The other page
shows a car driving down a ramp.  Both these cars have numbers on their
front bumper.  The 1000th car says "1897-A" while the other car
says "910-M".
Would those numbers be their VIN number and the letter indicating if it
was an automatic or manual?
If it is the VIN number, does anyone know where these are?  I checked
the VIN list and it looks like 1897 is an Auto while 910 is a manual.
So then are they saying that 1897 was the 1000 Delorean loaded onto the
ship, or is it the 1000 Delorean produced?  I know they started at 500,
thats why i'm asking this question.

Erik