Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2869
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:17 Sep 2005 20:07:39 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Delorean Owners in Arizona
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Who has the best weather seals?
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

3. Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.
From: "vanisland03" <vjca_at_dml_telus.net>

5. Manual transmission issues
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. Long Island, NY "Classic Car Show"
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: I hate my doors
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. DeLorean Video Game
From: "Flavia" <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

10. Re: Port and Polish
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

12. Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.
From: Ralf Philipp <enteklemmer_at_dml_web.de>

13. AC clutch cycle forced on my car
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

14. Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: Port and Polish
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. HELP DCS FUN STUFF
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Long Island, NY "Classic Car Show"
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: DeLorean Video Game
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

20. shiny charcoal canister
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. dash
From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:37:56 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Owners in Arizona

Adam - Please e-mail off line - the AZ-D will step up!

Randal

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:48:31 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Who has the best weather seals?

This winter I plan on replacing all of my door weather seals.  Most of the exterior seals that glue to the body have come off and are deformed and there are a few rips and tears in the interior surround stripping.  My question is who sells the best seals for the car?  I know all the vendors carry them, but some must be better than others, and who better to ask than the consumers.  I was also wondering if there are any special techniques for installing them, I imagine the gluing and lining up of the seals is a bit tricky.  Is there any good cleaner for removing the old glue off the body?  So any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:57:35 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...

On 9/15/05, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com> wrote:

>> If i didnt have cruise control on my car i would probably get a set of
>> the brake lights.

I plan on adding a cruise to my car at some point, and I also planned
to use LEDs for at least a third brake light...  What's the conflict
between these?

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:40:53 -0000
From: "vanisland03" <vjca_at_dml_telus.net>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

>>Hi had mine done 4 years ago. They tried to chemical strip it in a

hot bath over a long weekend it did not touch it. They in the end
used
walnut shells and it took them 8 hours.  I then coated the frame with
Por 15 Grey. Now looks great.And my frame was in a serious rusted
condition. It showed far more rust than I wanted to see.
Vic #1794

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:56:46 -0000
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Manual transmission issues

I've seen recent postings where people have mentioned that they have had problem shifting into second gear and this is a common problem as a result of a worn synchronizer.  I think my delorean is having this problem (among every other issue possible).  I called AAMCO transmission for an estimate and they claimed it could run upwards of $3200.  The low end was $2200!  Anyone have any extra explanation on this matter?  Is a total replacement cheaper?  Are there other options?  If I am going to shell out that much, are there any other things that should be done?  Any history on the problems and recommendations for repair as well as any shop recommendations in the soutern maryland area is appreciated.

Nate

By the way, I still haven't ben home more then one day in the last month and this was the latest issue to be uncovered.  I can hardly wait to drive it and find the next problem.

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:38:06 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Long Island, NY "Classic Car Show"

Anyone want to join me at a "Classic Car Show" to be  held at the Burr
Intermediate School in East Northport, LI, NY on Saturday,  September 24th?

I am assured that our cars will be welcome.  All  car entries will be give a
voucher for a free lunch as well!

There will be a Doo Wop Band at 2 and 4  PM

Gates open to the pubic at 10AM, so they would prefer  if the cars arrive
before then.  We will be able to leave at any  time.

There will be raffles with the proceeds going to the  school.

(I have no affiliation.)

For more info call 631-912-2055

Anyone interested in going, please eMail  me.

Dave Delman
aka Dē & 6530 (...still running a 2700 ohm  resistor)

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:40:01 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: I hate my doors

Thanks for the replies, again.

On 9/16/05, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Other than that, it sounds like you're doing everything right.  Also, where did you
>> get the seals?

Seals are Grady's. I'm quite happy with the quality, if only I could
get this problem worked out.

>> suggestion would be that if going up another 1/8th inch appears it would work, maybe
>>  try moving the pin down and in so the striker enters the latch a little later in its travel.

Yep, I've tried and tried to do this. Here's the problem: If I move it
in at all, the pin is too far away. The door will then close so
tightly I can only open it from the inside. It seems to be a losing
battle.

After reading Luke's post, it sounds like I need to play with the
seals some more:

>> This includes grinding away a part of the rear captive nut area so I could get the
>> pin another 1-2mm up and away from the body

Yes! See, that's exactly what I've been thinking about doing. Looks
like we have the same darn problem. Thank you for letting me know this
didn't work for you - that saves me from having to try it. I'll try
aligning these one pin at a time, as well as playing with the seals
for a better fit (if that's possible). Hopefully that will get me
somewhere.

Rob, if you're lurking here -- do you have any ideas on this?

Thanks everyone.

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:35:19 -0000
From: "Flavia" <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Video Game

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before:

http://www.nfscars.net/file.php?
do=list&section=nfs3&type=car&category=DMC

I have no idea what those are for, but they are neat video game
versions of DeLoreans,!

Flavia-NJ

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:35:18 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Hi

i'm sure i saw one site that someone had used a hot air gun and
scraper and came off easy.

have yet to try but have a few areas of rust on mine to work on, and
a small area of welded plate needed.
regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> As some of you might know, I'm doing a frame restoration on my
>> DeLorean. The project has been very delayed with basically a lack

of

>> time on my part, but I'm now back working on the project again and
>> hoping to complete as soon as possible. I have to have this car

back

>> together for Eurofest next year!
>>
>> I've documented the progress so far on the website
>> http://www.delorean.ie - see tech section.
>>
>> It hasn't been updated in a while, I've lots of pics to upload,

but

>> again, time. I just wish I had a time machine  :)

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:53:02 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Port and Polish

>> am guessing now but there is probably more to be gained by changing
>> the gear ratios than anywhere else.
>> David Teitelbaum
>> vin 10757

I have always thought the same.  Obviously, this car is well suited for
highway driving. It feels strong and pulls well through 3rd and 4th.
But those low end ratios seem a bit tall for satisfying, in-town
driving.  I woder what the ratios are on the Lotus transmission that
the DeLotus has on it are and if they would feel any better.  Even
changing out the final drive would probably make a world of
difference.  I would bet a 4:10 ratio would feel pretty good.

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:12:43 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

Mark V,

Installing LED brake lights is not a problem with cruise control
simply by adding a relay to the brake light wire which travels thru
the electrical compartment. I had to do this myself...the purchase
of my third cruise control kit reveled the problem in an addendum to
the instructions. I had the leds first, then tried to add the
Audiovox CC unsuccessfully:( twice. Then I got a Dakota Digital unit
which had better instructions and revealed the problem.

If you (or others) are interested in the particulars of the relay,
please email me.

Marty Galbreath

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:13:35 +0200
From: Ralf Philipp <enteklemmer_at_dml_web.de>

Hi John!

My frame was stripped by this method (thermal paint removal). IMO this
is the best method for our frames. Most of the coating will be converted
to ashes with this treatment. In some places, there will remain some
kind of black slag, so the frame needs to be sandblasted after the oven
treatment, anyway. But this is much less labor than sandblasting a frame
with intact epoxy.

After that, the best you can do is dip galvanizing the frame. I did it
myself. Don't forget to drill holes in the hollow sections, so the zinc
can flow in and out again. (I would drill these holes before the thermal
paint removal, so the result of the thermal treatment will be better in
the hollow sections). Drill diameter at least 10mm. Two holes per hollow
section: One hole at the lowest point, one hole at the highest point of
the hollow section. Where exactly is the lowest and highest point? This
depends how the frame will be dipped into the zinc, later. So you must
decide this, and assure that the people at the galvanizing facility
follow your instructions.

I recommend dipping the frame in its normal position, but "nose low" (as
if you car would be standing downhill on a very steep hill). In no case
should it be dipped in horizontal position (like it would stand on a
flat surface). This could lead to a warped frame! Be sure that the back
of the frame is at least 1m higher than the front while dipping. The
higher, the better.

I was very satisfied with the end result  :-)

hope that helps,

Ralf.
VIN10284

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:25:43 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>
Subject: AC clutch cycle forced on my car

Some of you may recall that I had replaced everything but the hoses
on my car's AC system, yet still could not get it to cycle. Adjusting
the pressure switch also made no difference. A few of you emailed me
off list to say that you had the same problem.

Well, and I will probably get blasted for this, but I installed a
programmable toggling timer in the clutch / fan circuit wire in the
electrical compartment which allows me to set any cycle time I wish
with a 50% duty cycle. So I have set the device at 8 seconds which
toggles 8 seconds on and 8 seconds off. My air is working great now,
40 degrees F at the center vents. The parts were less than $25. If
anyone wants details on what I did to accomplish this, please email
me.

Marty Galbreath
#3765 cool at last!

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:48:45 -0000
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi John,

I had mine done a while ago. I found a local 'blaster' that used
metal grit instead of sand. He said it wasn't overly easy to get off
but he did it and it looked great. I then took the frame to a powder
coaters that blew it out with a compressor then dipped it prior to
powder coating in liquid (chromating i believe) to add further rust
protection. I really stressed the importance of getting in
everywhere with his powdercaoting gun. I was very pleased with the
result.
I cant imagine warping been an issue at all with this type of
procedure as you are only removing the epoxy coating and lightly
abrasing the metal surface. There is no great heat involved.

Hope this helps, Nick - Sydney

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:03:43 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

<snip>

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:14:55 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Port and Polish

Second day-
the low end really isn't missing very much from original. It's just a little
different.
I still have a blast taking off from the line, and running through the gears
is much more fun.
It will in no way compare to '69 Charger, so don't even try that comparison.

I love the sound standing outside the car, especially behind it showing it
off to my friends. With the windows down it is very pleasing too. But with
the windows up it doesn't have the same bassy note and clarity, it's just
loud.
So, I'll be keeping the windows down until I add some back cabin insulation.
 :-)
I think I need to do that anyway, as I've always been plagued with engine
smells.
I've siliconed some of the rubber wire-harness gromets like the antenna and
o2 sensor wire.

On 9/15/05, kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:

>> First drive:
>> wow-- this is loud! It's got a nice burbley rumble sound to it, especially
>> on decelleration or wind down from revving.
>> It looks great too...
>> Ok, performance: the low-end early revs don't have the same punch anymore.
>> Rick warned of that-- a stock engine with this kit doesn't have the airflow
>> and backpressure that gave the car some early zippiness in the acceleration
>> cycle. But it definitely has some more get up once it gets going. I'd say
>> over 2500 rpm's and you are back in the groove but I wasn't watching the
>> tach too close.
>> Good thing it was a fourtyish mile drive home! I had fun. Didn't want to
>> get off 59 onto the slow-moving perpetually backed up i45 so I kept going
>> and took another highway south and jogged over on the beltway.
>> It felt great! Worth saving all summer for.
>>
>> I love those guys. I just peppered the experienced Steve, Warren, Bill as
>> well as the new guys Rick and Curtis with questions about this and that. I
>> think Steve solved my hard-to-start issue by just talking and listening to
>> it, but I'll know more tomorrow because I'm definitely driving this bad boy,
>> and then I'll post the solution for posterity.
>>
>> Great customer support, as always.
>>
>> -Kevin
>> League City (sort of)

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:39:06 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: HELP DCS FUN STUFF

I have seen a lot of pictures over the year of Delorean recreations that
sometimes resemble the car and sometimes,   Well , maybe not so  close

I would like to do a piece at the show that is a video presentation (slide
or mpeg {video} )

If you have any of these photos and can send them to me I would appreciate
it

This could be interesting

I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS  ONE

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:14:30 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Long Island, NY "Classic Car Show"

 Why not the "Wheels in Time" car show in Orchard beach? The very same
day, approximately 1000 cars...I think Im going to trailer my car
there for its first real time out in public
Harry Vin #2696

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:08:05 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have a new in the box Dakota Digital cruise control system that will work
for our cars.
I never installed and most likely won't, if you or someone else wants it I
will let you have
it for $220 including shipping if you want it.
Let me know off list.
- Videobob

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:16:30 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean Video Game

About 6 years or so ago a game called Interstate 82 came out - at least
for PC maybe for other platforms.  It featured a Delorean you could
drive, outfit with laser beams, etc.  The game was the sequel to the
more popular Interstate 76

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/009/009921/img_1303026.html

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:11:56 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: shiny charcoal canister

I've seen a picture where someone had found a shiny chrome charcoal canister
or canister wrap and installed it outside the pontoon in the engine
compartment.
Does someone know if this was a custom made or if there is a common part to
locate something like this?
Thanks.

-- -Kevin [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 21 Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:28:49 -0000 From: "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com> Subject: dash A few weeks ago someone posted a message about where to get a cracked dash repaired (covered). I have checked with dmch and all the vendors and a new dash pad isn't available. I choose not to go with the carpet pad, if anyone knows who can cover the pad with leather or vinyl and make this look good let me know. I have tried to repair the crack but have found nothing that looks good. If any one has an old black dash pad laying around, lets talk. Andy B 03513 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address: moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------