Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2870
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:18 Sep 2005 02:59:37 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: dash
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

2. Re: dash
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. AW: Automatic transmission shift point
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

4. Re: DeLorean Video Game
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

5. Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

6. Re: dash
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

7. Bleeding cooling system
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>

9. Tilley Foundation Back At It
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Manual transmission issues
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Loud Ticking Noise
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: Bleeding cooling system
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. RE: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. RE: Bleeding cooling system
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. RE: Bleeding cooling system
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

19. RE: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

20. RE: Bleeding cooling system
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

21. Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

22. Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

23. swaybar removal
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

24. Re: DeLorean Video Game
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: Who has the best weather seals?
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:36:07 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: dash

Just Dashes is about the best place in the country for this kind of work.
They are not cheap, but you get a perfect part back - color and grain
will match the original part.

www.justdashes.com

-------------- Original message from "andy" <andydandy777_at_dml_aol.com>: --------------

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had mine done at a local upholstery shop.

Check the yellow pages!   :)

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:06:41 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Automatic transmission shift point

Sounds like the governor needs some new solder joints.

Elvis

My delorean seems to wait way to long to shift from first to second and then
it shifts to second and then right to third. Is there any way that anyone
knows of to adjust the timing, or if its  not the timing? What could it be?
Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
josh
------------------
Josh Krady
http://www.mxpxboi.com
http://www.gamestartonline.com
------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:22:09 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Video Game

Tom Tait wrote:

>>About 6 years or so ago a game called Interstate 82 came out - at least
>>for PC maybe for other platforms.  It featured a Delorean you could
>>drive, outfit with laser beams, etc.  The game was the sequel to the
>>more popular Interstate 76
>>
>>http://media.pc.ign.com/media/009/009921/img_1303026.html

Gran Tourismo 4 also has a delorean with DMCH's stage 2 engine in it. (I
think this was mentioned in the forbes article as well) Though
unfortunatly I haven't succeeded in unlocking it yet. Been spending more
time actually working on my car than sitting in front of the TV as of late.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:28:17 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...

Videobob Moseley wrote:

>>I have a new in the box Dakota Digital cruise control system that will work
>>for our cars.
>>I never installed and most likely won't, if you or someone else wants it I
>>will let you have
>>it for $220 including shipping if you want it.
>>Let me know off list.
>>- Videobob

I'm definatly interested in this VB, as I plan to add cruise to my D.  I
sent you a mail off list but i'm posting this here as well because I
know this works, and i've apparently been having problems with my email
lately.. I know John Hervey apparently can't get mail from me, as he
hasn't replied to any of my messages asking where my long lost air
filter he forgot to send with my last order is.. I guess i'll have to
break down and actually use the phone. :P

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:27:40 -0400
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Hi Andy,

I can recover the dashes with pretty good results.  I don't currently have
any black dashes in stock, but if you send me yours, I can get it turned
around in about two weeks.  Asking $250 for the work.

Send me an e-mail off list if you're interested..I can send photos.
(jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

Cheers,
Josh

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:57:09 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Bleeding cooling system

I need to bleed my cooling system this weekend and I was wondering if
anyone has instructions on how to do this? Warren at DMC gave me a
method called the burp method. Essentially filling the heder bottle to
within 3inches of the top, bring the car to 220F and if the fans dont
come on shut the car off. Let the car cool and then remove the cap to
the header botttle and repeat. I was told after 2-3 of these cycles
the air should be bleed from the system. Does anyone have experience
with this method? Or perhaps have another method to share. Thanks in
advance.

Danny

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:52:25 -0000
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?

Does anyone have a recommended make of puller for the steering wheel.
I need to redo my switches on the column and for the life of me I
can't get the wheel off. To make matters worse, the puller I bought
will not work...

-Gary

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:05:16 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Tilley Foundation Back At It

I thought some of you might like to see this update to Carl Tilley's
electric car.  The new electric car is not a DeLorean, but instead a
Pontiac Bonneville.  They mention the DeLorean a few times throughout
the article.  I thought I heard that Carl Tilley was in jail for fraud.

In any case, some positive publicity for our cars.  *sarcasm*

http://pesn.com/2005/09/14/9600166_Tilley_Electric_Vehicle/

-Patrick C.

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:36:02 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Manual transmission issues

 Nate, I seriously recommend you tow it or if you can drive it to PJ
Grady here in NY...that sounds like a rediculous amount of money. This
isnt the type of vehicle you bring just anywhere, bring it to someone
who knows the car inside out like Rob Grady
Harry& 2696

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:52:52 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Loud Ticking Noise

All,

I just put a new alternator on one of my D's today and took it out for
a test drive.  The throttle got stuck wide open with ni load for a few
seconds, don't know what it got caught on, carpet or otherwise, I
tapped it with my foot and it dropped back to idle.  Now there is a
very LOUD, ticking noise coming from the drivers side of the engine.
Does anyone have any ideas where I should start looking.  Or should I
just start looking for a new engine.  Though it still runs, and starts
no problem, just that noise.

Thanks,

Bernie

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:45:11 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Loud Ticking Noise

Check and adjust your valves as necessary. One of them may have
loosened up with the high rev, a tappets that's too loose will cause a
ridiculously loud knock to occur, especially at idle. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:06:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Probably the exhaust manifold gasket.

Bernie <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net> wrote:All,

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:13:11 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Normally I'd say manifold gaskets, does it sound like an old VW? If it's
more mechanical and definitely metal-on-metal then the sudden revs
probably starved the cams of oil and you've eaten a lobe off the camshaft

Martin

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:55:19 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Bleeding cooling system

Danny,

You need to open up the bleed valve on the waterpump, you can't miss it
its right there on the top of the pump.  You may also want to hit the
upper small hose on the right side of the car, just loosen it
and "burp" it until coolant comes out.  You should be fine after doing
that.

Bernie

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:15:19 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Lifter maybe. Drive it for a few day's and see what happens. Make sure the
oil is 2/40 or 20/50 with a good filter.

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:19:36 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Bleed cooling system of air you can use the automatic bleeder on the web
site. $24.95
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-system.html

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:23:00 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Burping will definitely work, as I've done it myself, but in my experience
the way easiest for me to bleed the system is to remove air via the bleed
screw in the thermostat housing on top of the waterpump.

Once the car has warmed up observe operation/lack of from the fans and be
sure to watch your temperature.  Once the car is warmed up, STOP the engine
and SLOWLY open up the bleeder screw and you will hear air hissing very
audibly and then coolant will come out after a short while depending on how
much air is in the system.  Close the bleeder screw.

Restart vehicle and repeat procedure until no more air comes out and only
coolant.

Have a rag handy.  If you have a steady hand though only a few drops of
coolant will escape.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:25:26 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

I found the valve train can be responsible for these ticks and perhaps an
exhaust gasket leak.

I had this problem on my old car.  I removed the valve covers and performed
a valve adjustment.  Afterwards I still heard the sound but it was muffled
and the engine was more pleasant.  I found a tiny leak in the exhaust gasket
on the drivers side.  This was the second culprit.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:54:45 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

3 things you should do:
1) Install an automatic bleed system
2) Install an automatic bleed system
3) Install an automatic bleed system

It continually scavenges air from the system eliminating air-locked cooling
systems.

Nick

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:18:49 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

John,

Okay, I will put one of your Bosche filters you sent me on, with
good old castrol 20W-50W and see what happens, just have to get
about another 5 quarts of oil, I only have enough for top off at the
moment.  I will do this tomorrow morning, hopefully that will point
me in the right direction.

Bernie

>> Lifter maybe. Drive it for a few day's and see what happens. Make

sure the

>> oil is 2/40 or 20/50 with a good filter.
>> John Hervey
>> www.specialtauto.com

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:35:45 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Eaten a lobe off in less than 5-10 seconds?  I heard it, saw the
tach going to 6K, and the tapped the accelerator pedal.  It doesn't
sound like an old VW, I could only wish.

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:24:53 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: swaybar removal

Hey all

Just a quick question.. I finally got my frame completely stripped today
and am finally ready to start cleaning it up.. My question is how to you
get the front swaybar out of it's bushings on the lower control arm? I
fought with it for a good three hours before giving up and just dropping
the front suspension with it still tied together..

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:27:26 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

Those are downloadable add-ons to the Need For Speed series.  I have a
DeLorean on my NFS: High Stakes game.  It's mainly for looks however,
as the DeLorean will get waxed by any car in the game, including the
BMW Z3 and the Mercedes SLK230.

Eric
VIN 1776

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:39:50 -0700
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Who has the best weather seals?

Since most people have only replaced their weather seals once (or never),
it's hard to compare the different ones. So just order from your favorite
vendor.

When replacing, you first need to completely remove the old ones and the
adhesive. Some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner works great for this.
Once the surfaces are nice and clean, you can then glue on the
replacements. I used 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive (black). Just follow
the directions on the box and take your time. I would suggest starting on
the passenger side. That way by the time you start on the drivers side, you
will have learned a few things. And since you see the drivers side the
most, you want it to look the best.  :)