Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2871
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:18 Sep 2005 20:25:30 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Bleeding cooling system
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

2. Re: swaybar removal
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

3. Car Cover
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: swaybar removal
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

6. Re: Bleeding cooling system
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

7. Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Delorean Power - Colorado British Conclave
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

9. Sexy DeLorean Photos
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Steering Shaft Bushing
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Re: swaybar removal
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

12. RE: Steering Shaft Bushing
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

13. Re: Car Cover
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

15. RE: Loud Ticking Noise
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Car Cover
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:11:51 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Bleeding cooling system

Amen to that Nick....

>>3 things you should do:
>> 1) Install an automatic bleed system
>> 2) Install an automatic bleed system
>> 3) Install an automatic bleed system
>>
>> It continually scavenges air from the system eliminating air-locked
>> cooling
>> systems.
>>
>> Nick

 Does anyone have experience

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:19:19 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: swaybar removal

Chris - The secret is to take the sway bar out with the weight of
the car on the front suspension.  With the front wheels hanging in
the air, the angle between the bar and the lower control arms is
quite acute.  This puts the bar in a real bind in the bushings that
are inserted into the lower control arms where the sway bar
connects.  If you need to do this removal with the car in the air,
you need to put a strap around the two ends of the bar near the
lower control arms, and draw the ends of the bar closer together as
you pull it forward out of those bushings.  The issue is that when
the lower controls arms are at the lowest position, the attachment
points for the sway bar are closer together than they are with the
car at normal stance.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Hey all
>>
>> Just a quick question.. I finally got my frame completely stripped

today and am finally ready to start cleaning it up.. My question is
how to you get the front swaybar out of it's bushings on the lower
control arm? I fought with it for a good three hours before giving
up and just dropping the front suspension with it still tied
together..

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:00:53 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Car Cover

Hey.  Does anyone know of a good outdoor use car cover?  I see DMCH sells the
dealer option fitted one, but is says it is an indoor/temporary use cover.  Due to the
GTO my brother and I are restoring, the DeLorean has to stay outside for the time
being.  I have an outdoor cover that I bought from Auto Zone, but it really sucks.
When it rains, the car gets soaked right threw the cover and I have to detail it again
before I drive it due to all the water marks and dirt.  In fact, all the cover seems to
protect the car from is the sun!  I really do not want to have to detail the car EVERY
time I take it out.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Corey

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:21:01 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

*HUGE SMILE ON MY FACE  :)

And I thought I was the only one with such problems when powder
coating my frame lol!!!!

I took off both lower arms and shook it to death till the rubber
tore and let go of the freaking sway bar.

Then call up Toby and buy new polyurethane bushings.....really sweet
setup and don't rip or tear easily.  They are kind of hard to get on
when you're trying to be perfect but are very strong and should last
a long time.

Once you get the rubber pieces off the sway bar, you might have to
take a flat head and hammer off the metal rings that used to be on
the inside of the rubber pieces (the reason why it's so stuck).  The
metal pieces will be attached to the sway bar....once you hammer
them off....sand down the place where they attached and slide on
Toby's new bushings (they have Stainless rings...so no more of that
nonsense).

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Hey all
>>
>> Just a quick question.. I finally got my frame completely stripped

today

>> and am finally ready to start cleaning it up.. My question is how

to you

>> get the front swaybar out of it's bushings on the lower control

arm? I

>> fought with it for a good three hours before giving up and just

dropping

>> the front suspension with it still tied together..
>>
>> --
>>
>> Chris
>> VIN# 03209
>> http://badger.brazi.net/delorean
>>

>> --

9/16/2005

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:22:36 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Loud Ticking Noise

The DeLorean engine has overhead camshafts.  This means that there are
no lifters.  The rockers ride directly on the camshaft, and press
directly on the valve stems.  Just to clarify the engine configuration
that we are dealing with.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

>> Lifter maybe. Drive it for a few day's and see what happens. Make

sure the

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:29:37 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Danny - Nick is quite correct in his "three part prescription".  I
would add that we are the original inventors of the self-bleeder
system, and offer a special radiator bleeder convenience kit with
our self bleeder systems.  You must bleed the radiator as a separate
step when removing air from the cooling system.  The "burb" method
may or may not get that completely done.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> 3 things you should do:
>> 1) Install an automatic bleed system
>> 2) Install an automatic bleed system
>> 3) Install an automatic bleed system
>>
>> It continually scavenges air from the system eliminating air-

locked cooling systems.

>> Nick

if anyone has instructions on how to do this?

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:41:28 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

Hey John,

If you look under Vin 3323 Restoration, you'll see my frame that has
been powder coated a 60 percent black.

Here's what I did...

1 - Tried using Aircraft Stripper on the epoxy and found out it
takes forever......but not always (will explain a bit later).

2 - Found out using stripper on epoxy which doesn't get completely
removed only makes it tougher to sandblast off....since it rehardens
and makes a rubber type surface.

3 - Apparently DeLoreans are extremely tough to strip, but can be
done...and now I'm known in Colorado for having the toughest frame
to strip in the state lol.  As for being out in Ireland I know your
options are limited but sandblasting the entire outside of the frame
will not warp the frame in anyway and is preferred when trying to
powder coat the frame....as the rough surface gives the powder a
great surface to attach to.  I will get ahold of my stripper to see
what settings he used to strip my frame.

4 - My Delorean frame took about 2 days worth of sandblasting to
remove all the epoxy and cost about $200.  Any of the places that
could not be blasted were then POR-15'd using the semi-gloss color
to match my frame.  The main places are the holes near the engine,
the middle inner section where the transmission linkage is, and a
few spots up on the front crumple tube.  In the holes, I simply
sprayed the stuff in and then used a flexible sponge brush to coat
the insides several times to make sure.  The nice thing about
powdercoating is the heat will crack off any epoxy not really
sticking to the metal real well.

5 - To save some more cash, I took the trailing arms and fuel tank
plate and doused them in aircraft stripper.  Let sit in a breezeless
environment for around 1 to 2 hours and watch for places that bubble
and peel off the metal.  It may take several applications but the
majority of it should come right off.  My trailing arm epoxy after
several hours just pulled right off and whatever corners wouldn't
come off......were easily focused on by my sandblaster which easily
removed any excess epoxy.

6 - If the stripper is going to charge too much for stripping, you
may want to douse the entire frame in aircraft stripper and then
cover it (tarp not touching the metal) & seal the frame (tape tarp
to the floor sealing chemical in) in to enhance the stripper
effect.  The point in stripper is to make sure it stays
wet.....otherwise it does nothing.....which is a problem in Dry
Colorado Weather....so I covered my pieces in tarp and sealed it
up...returned an hour later and voila.....peeled off huge pieces of
epoxy revealing bare metal!  It took several tries but make sure to
not use water on it unless you're done stripping...otherwise the
following stripper applications probably won't work properly unless
the area is dry where it is being applied.

Phew, I'll check with my stripper on Monday and see what settings he
used.  If you need any other info, just send me an email at
Brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> As some of you might know, I'm doing a frame restoration on my
>> DeLorean. The project has been very delayed with basically a lack

of

>> time on my part, but I'm now back working on the project again and
>> hoping to complete as soon as possible. I have to have this car

back

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:59:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Delorean Power - Colorado British Conclave

I spent the day at the Colorado Conclave Brirtish Car Ralley. What a great day to drive in the mountains of Colorado. Most people had rag tops on this sunny and 80 degree day so I felt a bit left out. But the course had a lot of early fall colors (colours for the Brits?) twisty roads and variety. My car ran beautifully and thanks to my Fan Fix X2 and Self bleeder it ran really cool and my wife and I had a blast!

During the drive I discovered the reason why many of us think our cars are terribly underpowered! We are simply running in the wrong circles. We should be hanging around with and driving with owners of old Austin-Healeys, Singers, MG's, Triumphs and Bug Eye's!

Part of the course today had a couple of miles on I-70 going west out of Denver from Mt Vernon Canyon. This part of the road travels up a 6-8% grade. I was following a group of above mentioned cars when we hit the on-ramp, at the top of the ramp I punched it and changed lanes blowing by all 12-15 cars travelling in a group. At the time I didn't think anything of it, as this ralley was about doing the route and finding clues ending up in the right place and not about speed. I just wanted to get up to highway cruising speed and it seemed like my British freinds were lolly-gaging!

To make a long story short the end of the day is spent eating and meeting the other owners. I ended up talking with the leader of the group of cars which I had "blown" by earlier in the day. When I identified myself as "the"  Delorean owner,  He said "Man you have some serious power to go from a dead stop to 70 (MPH) that quick, you blew by us like we were going in reverse!" You should have seen my sheepish grin! If they only knew! Just think how impressed he would have been had I been driving a manual or a twin turbo and not a bone stock automatic!!

Needless to say it made my day.  So my advise is don't try to be a Corvette or Porsche hunter... Chase down vintage british made cars instead, but beware of the British Cobra's, the Lotus and anything with open wheels!

Happy motoring.

Dan (Chest Expanded, head held high!) Haney
vin 3254 A "Powerful" Automatic!

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:57:13 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Sexy DeLorean Photos

I attended a nice car show today....I thought I would share a few of the
photos.
Prepare to drool:

http://dfwdmc.com/091705.html

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:18:21 -0700
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Steering Shaft Bushing

Quick question:  Is there a good file to look at (down load) on the mechanics of replacing the steering shaft bushing?
Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4649/#16049

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:16:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

Hi Chris,
I must have been lucky on my car since mine came off
real easily :).From memory you just undo the nuts
holding it onto the lower control arm,undo the two
brackets holding it to the frame and pull it out.If it
won't come out then I guess you'll need some kind of
penetrating oil to free it up and plenty of elbow
grease.Good luck with it.

Andrew
2883
Sydney

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:26:23 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RE: Steering Shaft Bushing

Ditto... I just figured out what those brittle parts laying on the floor are
....Broken old Steering Bushing pieces:-(

And to overkill the solution, has anyone considered using a bearing in a
floating housing?

Nick

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:53:43 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Car Cover

Covercraft weathershield.  They have a custom one for the DeLorean.
Costs about $300 but worth every penny.  Call this number and ask
for Laura, she will set you up, 1-877-673-6960.

Bernie

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:08:32 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?

Usually the standard steering wheel pullers work - positioning wise -
but need new meteric bolts to fit the wheel. The puller kits I have
seen at least do not have the required bolts. I don't remember the size
maybe some other member of the list has it available.

Be sure to mark the wheel as it can be mounted in any position.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 08:19:04 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

Can anyone send me a picture of the lifters in a DeLorean?

Dē &  6530

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:31:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I have been impressed with these covers! Call their hotline to make
sure you are getting the one you need.

http://www.calcarcover.com/

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:23:12 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I would recommend you take off the valve cover and inspect it even
though it could be a blown exhaust manifold gasket. A valve adjuster
may have been loosened or you may have broken a valve spring. Whatever
it is - you should try to locate the problem before it potentially does
some damage.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> All,
>>
>> I just put a new alternator on one of my D's today and took it out

for

>> a test drive.  The throttle got stuck wide open with ni load for a

few

>> seconds, don't know what it got caught on, carpet or otherwise, I
>> tapped it with my foot and it dropped back to idle.  Now there is a
>> very LOUD, ticking noise coming from the drivers side of the engine.
>> Does anyone have any ideas where I should start looking.  Or should I
>> just start looking for a new engine.  Though it still runs, and

starts