Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2873
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:19 Sep 2005 18:21:38 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Brent Beecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Legend Turbo Deloreans,now THREE!!
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

18. RE: Manual transmission issues
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>

19. RE: Loud Ticking Noise
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>

20. Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

21. Trip to see a Gold DeLorean this Saturday?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Sexy DeLorean Photos
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Manual transmission issues
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

24. Re: Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

25. Delorean 'Black Book' Value
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:03:48 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Sexy DeLorean Photos

I second that!  Where are the DeLoreans?

Matt
VIN: 2953

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Videobob,
>>
>> Your the man!!! Great pics!! Sorry...did not see a
>> DeLorean in the pics;)
>>
>> Joey

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:21:07 -0000
From: "Brent Beecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RECOVERED in Seattle

I got some very good news last night.  The police in Snohomish County
(one county to the
north) called and told me that my Delorean had been found in Lynwood,
in an abandoned
building.  There were four other cars there, two of which were stolen
yesterday.  Of the five
cars, the Delorean was apparently the only one that wasn't completely
trashed.  They stole
my seats (my wife had those seats reuphosltered as a wedding present
- grrrrrr) and
damaged the steering column.  That's all the info I have, since I
haven't seen it yet.  It is
impounded right now, and will be towed to a shop tomorrow.  Then I'll
take a look and have a
heart to heart with the insurer.  I am cautiously, but very,
optimistic.

Thanks again for all of your good wishes.  Hey Toby, grab a
Wing-a-Loft Elite off the shelf for
me!

Brent Beecher (about to be reunited with 892) :)))))))

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:18:08 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Shaft Bushing

Nick and Alan - We have a replacement bushing that is made from
Delrin plastic, and will last you the rest of your car's life.  The
part comes with instructions on how to do this task as painlessly as
possible.  In answer to the question about using a bearing, this
would be fine, although the installation would be complicated by the
need to install a bearing retention housing.  This would entail
drilling two holes, and we would need to verify that the shaft
configuration has enough length in that area to allow for a bearing
and housing without interfering with the upper splined connection.
This installation would certainly be more complicated and expensive
than the much simpler bushing replacement.  We have been told by
knowledgeable customers that our bushings fit better than any others
currently available.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Ditto... I just figured out what those brittle parts laying on the

floor are....Broken old Steering Bushing pieces:-(

>> And to overkill the solution, has anyone considered using a

bearing in a floating housing?

>> Nick

Behalf

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:49:49 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Loud Ticking Noise

Adjust the valves while you're in there.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> OK, valve cover removed, easier than I thought it would be.  And
>> everything looks fine in there, no broken springs, cam lobes look
>> good.  All rocker arms ok.  So what next, while I'm in there?

Looks

>> like it might just be a blown exhaust gasket.  Need new vacum hoses
>> though, the ones in there are so shot.
>>
>> Bernie

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:45:08 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: RECOVERED in Seattle

GREAT news Brent!!

We were al praying for you and your car.

Post some pics once you get her back and we'll pray the seats and steering
column are all that's missing!!

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:52:52 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Damn, your one lucky sukcer.
You are in the very rare minority who gets thier car back in any shape at
all.
Since the cost of replacing the seats altogether will exceed $1000, your
insurance
should cover them (providing you had full coverage I hope).
This is the perfect time to get those new two-toned leather seats that DMCH
sells.
I really love those!
- VB

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:09:21 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Car Cover

I have the weathershield for my car and it's fantastic. I didn't have the
cable and it stood up to a bunch of storms in California... see picture
here...  http://www.ncdmc.org/2003.htm  Under tech weekend bottom right
corner...

"They say taupe is very soothing..."

Darkstar

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:03:11 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Raffle car Update

Well I am back to driving the raffle car every day now
As you remember an air conditioning line broke and it was too hot to drive
for the past few weeks.  Started just fine

Today I made some cosmetic repairs
Fixed the trunk area (replaced stripped nutserts)
Replaced the steering bushing
Replaced the turn signal/wiper switches(originals were bent but  funcitional)

I also removed the body from the frame to do an air conditioning hose
replacement
The thicker hose sprung a leak (air was working until that)
Took about an hour and a half and the body seperated from the frame easy
One bolt stripped out and I ground it out and still need to replace the nut
in the frame.

It is not totally back together yet since I want to get the air back up and
running before I bolt the car back together.

There will be a frame off to get to the air conditioning line tech article
in the next DCS magazine issue coming this October/Nov

But

I will be taking it to Evansville and I may choose to drive it there  instead
of trailering it.

This week I will work on internal cosmetics as I have done little with the
steel
I don't think is has been cleaned in years.  Still looks  nice anyway.

This car starts extremely easy great engine and the automatic works  well.
I am getting lazy its nice not to have to switch gears in traffic.
I could become and automatic convert LOL

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:20:23 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Box under T-panel

I know somebody removed this metal box under the t-panel to fix the
rust holes and had pictures on the internet somewhere.

I would like to see these pictures again because i am going to do some
electrical short repair to some wires under the box.

If anybody has these pictures please direct me to them or forward them
to me.

Thank you.

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hood vins?

I was just wondering, does anyone know the vin # of
the last car that came with the gas flap? vin # of the
last car with grooves on hood?
Thanks
Jon Minor (no vin)

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:56:12 -0400
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: DMC cameo on Family Guy

In case anyone missed it, tonight's episode of Family Guy featured a
BTTF-style DMC. The gag was that Peter Griffin had "made a time
machine... out of a DeLorean!" Needless to say, there was no time-
travelling, and the car met a fiery death.

illyana

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:33:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

It sounds like you got lucky? if lucky is having your car stolen and
then recovered! Anyway, before you talk to the insurance company send
some pictures of the damage to one of the Delorean venders and get
some idea what the parts are going to cost to restore it to the
condition it was before it was stolen. The vender can also probably
estimate the labor to do the work too. You may want to insist on
sending it to a Delorean vendor for this work. Ask what shipping costs
are there and back. The adjuster is not going to have any idea what
this is worth and would probably do what I am suggesting to try to
figure what this is worth so your doing this will give you a lot of
credibilty for damages and settling for what you will need to fix the
car. You can still do the work yourself AFTER you settle the claim, at
least you will be reembursed for it! You have the shipping costs to
negotiate over! Don't forget to put a claim in for whatever personal
stuff was in the car and is now missing. That may have to go on your
homeowner's policy. Keep the claim open until you are satisfied you
did not miss any hidden damage so you should try to drive the car
before any final settlement. Figure there has to be some damage from
forcing a door open too, not just the ignition and the steering
column. When you show up at the garage have the paperwork to prove you
are the owner of the car. The registration and title would be good. Do
not leave the car at the shop if you have a place you can take it home
to. They will try to talk you into letting them do the work but that
is not a great idea. Besides they will be running the meter on the
storage costs. All towing costs will be reembursed by your insurance
anyway. Save all bills.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:33:48 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: High-performance radiator fans

Hello List - I have been holding back on this announcement because I
still need one more data point, but have decided to take the
plunge.  I received some data that showed that the stock radiator
fans on the DeLorean move as little as 1100 CFM (cubic feet per
minute) combined when installed in the car.  This isn't that great
of a level of performance by today's standards, so I decided to see
what I could come up with.  The result is a very high-tech looking
fan set that has a very clean installation, allows good air flow at
high speeds due to the open architecture of the fans and attachment
structure, consumes only 15 amps combined, is very quiet, and moves
a respectable 3300 CFM combined.  This air volume capacity is
uninstalled, with no restrictions.  The data point that I am missing
is the uninstalled volume of the stock fans, which I hope to get in
the next week.  These fans have been installed on Winged1 since last
April, and have stood the test of a hot summer, long parades,
Seattle rush hour traffic, and high speed drives across the state.
They are great (IMHO).  I have uploaded a picture of the fans just
before installation into the DPNW folder.  Search for Wings-B-Cool
part number K4001DP on our website ($299.95).  Email me off-list if
you have any questions, or if you need additional information.

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:22:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Wow.  Good for you Brent!!!!  Man, this must have been
the LONGEST week of your life second only to waiting
for the car when you first bought it.

I am very happy for you man.  Wow, it's rare to hear
this kind of news - that's awesome!  Hopefully, the
column isn't too damaged.  Either way, it's fixable
now that you'll have the car back!!!!

I don't know what else to type.  I can't help but want
to type "wow" over and over.  Just ---- I'm so glad
for you.

Jeremiah

--- Brent Beecher <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I got some very good news last night.

Yahoo! for Good

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:49:56 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: A/C Belt Size

My A/C belt shredded last night, I can't measure it because well, it
SHREDDED.
I checked a cross reference: http://www.dmc12.com/crossref.htm

and it yeilded these models:
Dynaflex: 17530,
Gates: 9530,
Goodyear: 105505,
Nationwise: 52513

I guess these are all out of date because the local auto zone had no
record of them.

So, does anyone know what the SIZE of the A/C compressor belt is
or some more current belt model numbers?
VIN#5278

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:08:53 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Well now you can have the insurance pay for NEW seats with NEW leather
seat covers now.

Glad you got the car back at least.

Gotta wonder what they'll be using those seats in?

-Joe

2524,
16634,

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:09:43 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Legend Turbo Deloreans,now THREE!!

Legend Turbo Deloreans,now THREE!!

While surfing the internet found this little interesting tibet:

With over 10 years of `hands-on' experience, Chris has
undertaken
complete stainless restoration of some of the most prized Deloreans
in existence today, including:

VIN 502 Legend
VIN 520
VIN 528 Legend
VIN 530 Legend
VIN 570
And many others

For one thing I am VERY Humbled to see my "ex" Delorean(vin #570)
being put up next to the likes of vin 502!! And the "other" Legend
Cars.
 And also being  called a "prized" Delorean as I always stated!Hmm,I
knew I should have started at 75K for my inventory,my stupid(huge)
loss!

Anyway I assumed there was only One true twin turbo "D" left,But from
what I understand vin#530 IS ALSO a twin turbo(and owned by Mr.Grady)
But is Vin#528 a Twin Turbo too? And who ownes that one?
It would be cool to have all three together again,or at least pics as
a group.

CBL

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:45:35 -0400
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
Subject: RE: Manual transmission issues

Nate,

Just a suggestion.  Before I would assume I have an internal transmission problem I would make sure that I didn't have a shift adjustment problem.  If you are having trouble shifting into second you need to step back and define the problem a little better.  If you can't get into second and there is no grinding of gears you may have just an adjustment problem.  A quick way to determine this is to lift up slightly on the shift lever (almost as if you were going to put the car in reverse) and see if that allows you to shift into second.  If it does, then an adjustment is all that is necessary.  How to do that can be found in the tech manual-about a 5 min job.

Ron

By the way, I still haven't ben home more then one day in the last month and this was the latest issue to be uncovered.  I can hardly wait to drive it and find the next problem.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:29:31 -0400
From: Cirillo Ronald A NPRI <cirillora_at_dml_npt.nuwc.navy.mil>

I think Chris has the answer.  I quick rev could easily blow an exhaust manifold gasket.  That sounds like a lifter (you don't have lifters) and can be confusing.  Run your hand around the manifold with it running.  If you can hear the noise you can feel the leak.  Caution-don't burn yourself.

Ron

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:13:54 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Brent ...

    This is very good news.  Do they have the  thieves in hand?  Hopefully
they can find out where the seats are and  recover those also.

Roy  #0893

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:16:00 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Trip to see a Gold DeLorean this Saturday?

DML,
How about a meeting this Saturday, September 24th to see VIN: 20105,
the last Gold DeLorean?  I want to see if you all can come before I
mention it to the owner.  I don't want to say anything to Carl and no
one come.  If you can make it, E-mail me off list at
jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com .

All of you from Eastern Maryland, maybe all of you could meet somewhere
down east and caravan up and meet me at the Sideling Hill Rest
Area/Exhibition Center along I-68 West.  Then, follow me.

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:42:09 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Bob.. Very nice photos. Must of been a great show.  It would be great  to
have a show like that up here in Western NY.  I attended a show  yesterday (18th)
that had a lot of great cars but no models like those.   Although there were
a number of "trophy wives" in attendance.  It was held  in the resort
community of Ellicottville, know as Aspen East around here.   The D did alright taking
second in class ( imports-sports car) and best of show  in Imports.  It was a
show with a lot of people from all over.  The D  was a magnet drawing many
more people than I would have imagined.  I must  of spoken to over a thousand
people and at times the crowd around the  car was two or three deep.  Wore me
out.

Roy E Barley #0893

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:00:34 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Just so you know, new five-speeds are $2924.25 from us, FOB Houston.
Sounds like you might have a broken roll pin in the second gear fork.
It's a common problem, not easy to fix, but easy enough for a pro or
handy amateur who knows where to go.
Warren at DMC

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:02:39 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Loud Ticking Noise

Since you just replaced the alternator, look there.  Perhaps one of the
fins is hitting the case.
Warren at DMC

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:26:14 -0000
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>
Subject: Delorean 'Black Book' Value

I'm getting quite close to finaly have my own Delorean.  In the
process
of securing a loan, my credit union (which I strongly perfer over
other
financial institutions) has several requests of me before they will
cut
a check.  One of them is to get a letter that verifies the value of a
good condition delorean (not Concours, but one thats been stored
well,
maintained, etc).

Whom would be the most reputable source, that would be willing to
produce such a document?  I told them 20-25k for un-heroicly (but
well)
perserved DMC-12.  Sound about right?

I saw the insurance letter on DMC-of-Houston website, but nothing
concerning the current (2005) values.

Thanks!

-Nate