Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2874
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:19 Sep 2005 23:50:38 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. 3.8 liter GM engines
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

2. RE: Bleeding cooling system
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Delorean Wings-A-Loft Party
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

4. Re: A/C Belt Size
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>

5. Re: Delorean 'Black Book' Value
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

7. Carcoon for a Delorean
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. RE: High-performance radiator fans
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: A/C Belt Size
From: "Steve Auyer" <n2tkx_at_dml_arrl.net>

10. Re: Hood vins?
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Delorean 'Black Book' Value
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

12. Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: AC door vents needed
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. San Diego British car day 2005
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

17. Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Brent Beecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Delorean 'Black Book' Value
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. black decorative plugs
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. RE: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

21. Re: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. Re: black decorative plugs
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

23. Re: Carcoon for a Delorean
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:14:04 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: 3.8 liter GM engines

Why is it that when I talk to local mechanics, they believe that the
standard engine for the Delorean is a 3.8 liter GM or Ford engine.
They seem surprised when I tell them that the standard engine is the
PRV.  Was there some literature or publicity that said otherwise, or
were there cars with different engines in them?

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:04:06 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Bleeding cooling system

  Tip:    Obtain some Oxygen tubing, cut it in half, now you have  TWO
bleeding tubes with ends that fit quite nicely over almost all bleeder
valves.  Add a container and you can pretty much do the job yourself.
Voila!!       Drive Stainless  (Bleed Carefully)   Robert    VIN 6924

From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [DML] Bleeding cooling system
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:54:45 -0500

3 things you should do:
---

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:52:32 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Delorean Wings-A-Loft Party

A coouple months back a few of us were talking about getting together
when it got cooler to help one another install the Wing-A-Loft product
in our cars. Cool weather is coming soon so I wanted to start making
plan for that. The Wings-A-Loft is a door opening system which can
have additional assesories with it. The information can be fouond at:
http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=9400

I emailed Toby and we can get some savings in shipping by ordering
together.

Who is interested in doing this?

Shannon (Texas)

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:41:59 -0400
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>
Subject: Re: A/C Belt Size

Gates 9530 is correct and not out of date. The Gates online catalog
(www.gatespowerpro.com)  has the specs as.

Angle        36
Effective Length (In.)      53.00
Effective Length (mm)      1346
Outside Circumference (In.)      53.35
Outside Circumference (mm)      1355
Top Width (In.)      .50
Top Width (mm)      12.5

and the size code written on the belt is 13A1345. I just bought one
and put it on my car few weeks ago.

I've noticed that over the last few years the chain auto parts stores
like AutoZone and Pep Boys have gotten rather bad at cross
referencing parts. It used to be if I needed something simple like a
belt I could show up with a part number and they could find something
that matches. Now it seems if the year, make, and model of the car
isn't in their computer they just get all confused.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:42:34 -0400
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean 'Black Book' Value

You can see if they will use the NADA value. check out
www.nadaguides.com and you can see that a D could be anywhere from
$9,950 to $29,700 (with average retail at $19,500)
http://tinyurl.com/5htyg

Michael

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:20:26 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

CBL and others,

I would like to provide some first hand information I know about
the extensive refurbishing being done on VIN570.  The only reason
it was put in the "prized" list was the low VIN, not its purchased
condition.

There was so much wrong with VIN570 that it was extremely close to
being parted out (to fix other early VIN cars) and scrapped.  Most
of the underbody had to be replaced or refurbished, then restored
before the work could begin on the mechanicals and the stainless.

Chris Nicholson really deserves all the credit in this endeavor,
since it has taken him hundreds of hours (so far) to be partially
complete with the restoration.  I'm sure nearly a hundred hours
would not have been necessary if the car had not been butchered
previously.

It is important to note the only items that will look like VIN570
when it was received by Chris (after the restoration) will be the
VIN tags.  Chris has kept an ongoing set of progress photos during
the restoration and the photos really tell the whole, true story.

As for Legend power, this was also Chris's decision and should not
be associated with any previous ownership of VIN570.  This was not
and was never intended as a Factory Legend powered DeLorean.  This
project will be similar to other non-factory Legend powered cars.

As for the other statements, yes, VIN530 is an original Legend Twin
Turbo powered car and VIN528 is an original Legend Single Turbo car.

VIN520 is possibly the best representation of a complete restoration
on a very early VIN DeLorean, bar none.  Not only is this a great
looking very early VIN DeLorean, but it was also driven to and from
John Z. DeLorean's wake, through rain, sleet and snow this March.

DCS 2006 may have the largest collection of Legend powered DeLoreans
ever in one place, in tribute to JZD and the car's 25th anniversary.

I have seen both progress photos and the car and engine in person.
Please try to give credit to the proper people, when credit is due.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> Legend Turbo Deloreans,now THREE!!
>>
>> While surfing the internet found this little interesting tibet:
>>
>> With over 10 years of `hands-on' experience, Chris has
>> undertaken
>> complete stainless restoration of some of the most prized

Deloreans

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:46:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Carcoon for a Delorean

Who on the DML has any experience with a Carcoon? I am considering
getting one so I can store a Delorean outside this winter. They are a
bit pricey though. Before I spend all that money I was curious what
others had to say about them.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:52:07 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: High-performance radiator fans

I would be interested to know more about these Toby.
As many of you know, I have John Hervey's fans installed.
I would like to hear from John what the CFM of his fans are, both
unrestricted and mounted,
and compare those numbers with his, yours and stock.

I have had some real issue keeping my car cool, and I know that the air
conditioner is the cause because when my A/C belt broke the other day and I
was forced to drive home without A/C
I noticed the engine temp was running much cooler, almost half as cool.
One of the modifications I would like to do when I finish my time machine
replica
is that I want to mount two small horizontal fans at the base of the rear
vents to blow
engine heat out the back to keep the engine heat down and to protect the
props mounted
on the decklid from excessive heat.
Has anyone ever thought of venting heat with small fans from the decklid
this way?
- Videobob

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:03:14 -0400
From: "Steve Auyer" <n2tkx_at_dml_arrl.net>

I used a NAPA 7495 for the alternator and a NAPA 9525 for the air conditioner and they appear to be exact replacements.

Steve Auyer

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:37:27 -0400
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Hood vins?

According to the concourse manual (from
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/millennium-concours):
VINs 500 - 3200 had the lines and the gas flap, 3201 - 7199 had just the
groves and and CD or DD VIN (basically all 82 and 83 cars) should have
the flat hood.

Michael

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:26:48 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Your credit union should know about a guide called
Cars of Particular Interest.  This is a "blue book" of sorts
for collecitble cars.  Another place to look is the Sports
Car Market price guide.  This gets updated periodically
and is based on worldwide automobile auction results.
Nothing official, but it does provide another reference
point.

-------------- Original message from "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>: --------------

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:52:59 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle

Brent,

What we need to have a party/semi-tech session to celebrate the
return of your D. Have everyone's input on what needs to be fixed.
Three or more gear heads is better than one. Invite the detective(s)
who cracked the case to the party.  With a bunch of Deloreans
gathered around, we may be able to turn the detective to the dark
side. ("Whooohahahaha", evil laughter.  Another person hooked onto
the Delorean.)

Steve
VIN#04421

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Brent Beecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> I got some very good news last night.  The police in Snohomish

County

>> (one county to the
>> north) called and told me that my Delorean had been found in

Lynwood,

>> in an abandoned
>> building.  There were four other cars there, two of which were

stolen

>> yesterday.  Of the five
>> cars, the Delorean was apparently the only one that wasn't

completely

>> trashed.  They stole
>> my seats (my wife had those seats reuphosltered as a wedding present
>> - grrrrrr) and
>> damaged the steering column.  That's all the info I have, since I
>> haven't seen it yet.  It is
>> impounded right now, and will be towed to a shop tomorrow.  Then

I'll

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:00:18 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AC door vents needed

Just got to looking at the photo..  Nice install.  I assume the
computer is also your sound system?

Where do you plan on putting the vents now?

Maybe you can write some software on the car-puter to control the
HVAC, then remove the stock controls and have that space for vents
and other things.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Does anyone have a pair of the AC vents for the doors?
>>
>> Maybe it is the same from some other car?
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> It is part # 100761 called Air Deflector, Door
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dē & 6530
>>
>> If your curious as to why I need them, I posted a  picture which

you may find

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:55:39 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!

I hope I can count on more owners showing. If you can please make
the time, come on out, and lets have some fun.

From: AmericanFamEnt_at_dml_aol.com
To: jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re: BTTF showing
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:58:15 EDT

yes we have a concession stand, burgers, dogs, Italian sausage,
popcorn, candy etc..
you can show up around 5pm. We start setting up around 4:30pm. I
sure hope you can get more than 5 deloreans, the news media will be
there to cover this special event.

Alan  Ackerman
President
American Family Entertainment, LLC
_www.afetheaters.com_ (http://www.afetheaters.com/)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> OK, here is the email confirming our showing of BTTF Pt1. Lets

please

>> have a good turnout should we want to do this again in the future:
>>
>> From:   Bumpersdrivein_at_dml_a...
>> To:   silversurfer_at_dml_d...
>> Subject:   Re: Back To The Future Showing
>> Date:   Mon 09/12/05 12:40 PM
>>
>> ok, Saturday October 1st, Back to the Future part one, the

original.

>> paired with Greedy both Michael J Fox Movies. Start promoting

this. I

>> am doing this for your group of Delorean fanatics. Let me know

approx

>> how many (For Sure) deloreans will be attending. I'll have the

news

>> media there!! Remember this is NOT at Bumpers it is at the Bowie
>> Baysox Drive-in Theatre at the Prince Georges Stadium, Route 50 /

301

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:21:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: San Diego British car day 2005

Hello,

San Diego British car day and picnic is coming up in
less than two weeks.  It is Oct 12, 2005.  I plan on
attending
I told David Cox that I would definitely go this year.

I missed last year due to an oversight.    So far, I
have contacted sevveral owners in the san diego area
who have expressed interest in attending. the link for
the event is below.  Registration for the show is $20

http://www.sandiegobritishcarday.org/flyer05.html

Details are on the flyer.. registration starts at 7:30
a.m.

If anyone has questions, ffeel free to email me

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:08:21 -0400
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Loud Ticking Noise

Nope its coming from the exhaust valve train area.  You may be seeing the
car soon for a stage II engine.

Bernie
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:22:09 -0000
From: "Brent Beecher" <brentbeecher_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just got back from visiting 892.  The exterior looks fine - no damage.  The interior seems to
be missing.  Well, a lot of it is.  But I very grateful to have it back, and I'm looking forward to
beginning the long process of putting it back together.

Manner of theft:  There was no damage to the door locks.  The theifs appear to have forced
the passenger window open, although they did not break the glass.  The canopy around the
steering column is gone, and the steering wheel turns along with the indicator levers.  It was
old-fashioned hot wired.

I took some pictures with my camera phone.  They aren't fantastic, but anyone is welcome to
take a look.

http://homepage.mac.com/bbeecher/PhotoAlbum23.html

Brent Beecher

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:26:06 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Check with your insurance agent.  Depending on what type of
insurance you are getting and what company, they may make you get an
appraisal.  If not I'm sure your agent could find you a vehicle
appraiser.  The other option, is you could check with your local
parts dealer (you'll need to get to know them anyway after
purchasing a 23 year old car) and ask them if they know any vehicle
appraisers.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:53:46 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: black decorative plugs

Any one know where to find the black plugs that go below the doors,
under the car, on the lowest part of the floor tub sides?  I'm not
sure what they are called, but I have one missing and the other is
broken.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:01:38 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?

I borrowed a puller from auto zone,  but the bolts it came with did not
work.  I experimented and found that the thread was (I recall) 7mm - so
I found a metric bolt specialty shop and picked up the proper bolt, and
the wheel came off pretty easily at that point.  Long 7mm bolts can be
hard to come by - you might have better luck getting threaded rod and
nuts than the long bolts.

Tom

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:08:01 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7MM screws are hard to find, and 7MM threaded rod was even worse.

After struggling with that 7 mm problem for a while and then
stripping it out (my wheel had been loctited on) I determined that it
made a bunch more sense just to tap the puller holes out to 1/4-20
(it might have been 5/16"). Then the bolts in the commercial puller
will fit, AND the threads are somewhat meatier than thos tiny 7 mm
things.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_B...> wrote:

>> I borrowed a puller from auto zone,  but the bolts it came with did

not

>> work.  I experimented and found that the thread was (I recall) 7mm -

 so

>> I found a metric bolt specialty shop and picked up the proper bolt,

and

>> the wheel came off pretty easily at that point.  Long 7mm bolts can

be

>> hard to come by - you might have better luck getting threaded rod

and

>> nuts than the long bolts.
>>
>> Tom

Behalf

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:04:30 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: black decorative plugs

Seat belt bolt covers. About a buck at any of the majors...

Dave Swingle

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:07:59 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Carcoon for a Delorean

On was on the same page as you then I did some searching because of the
price. Go to carcapsule.com it is the exact same thing but for about
$200 less. I beleive DMCH wants $599 for the Delorean and carcapsule
wants about $349 for the DeLorean sized one.

Peter Kuchan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>