Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2875
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:20 Sep 2005 03:08:36 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Bob's AC problems.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

4. Re: Re: BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

6. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

7. Re: black decorative plugs
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

9. Re: Carcoon vs CarCapsule (long)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Re: BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Hood vins?
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>

13. RE: Carcoon for a Delorean
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. RE: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

15. Re: Hood vins?
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. RE: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

17. Re: AC door vents needed
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Hood vins?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

22. RE: Re: BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

23. RE: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

24. Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. Shameless Plugs??
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Bob's AC problems.

We have discussed your AC issues a number of times
Bob.

Have you checked the things that have been mentioned?
Most importantly, the HIGH and LOW pressure readings
(simultaneously).

Your belt probably broke because the compressor is
working too hard..  The same reason the car runs hot
with the AC on.  The higher the pressure, the more
heat there is on the "high" side.

Keep in mind, the cooling effect comes from the LOW
side of the system.  The suction of freon IN TO the
compressor.  So, if you have some sort of restriction
causing a high pressure condition, the car may still
get cold.  That does not mean the system is operating
correctly.

I'd guess if you had a high-pressure cutoff switch,
the car would not get so cold.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:13:54 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Recommended Steering Wheel Puller?

Dave and Group, I have plenty of 7mm bolts and 7mm threaded rod in stock.
John Hervey
www.speciasltauto.com

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:15:19 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

I used a 6mm threaded rod (which passes through the 7mm threaded holes)
and put some large washers and some 6mm stop nuts on the end.  The washers
spread the pulling load across a larger area than those tiny threads.

-------------- Original message from "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>: --------------

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:21:18 -0400
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Re: BTTF Pt1 showing in Bowie, MD. Oct 1 with media present!!!!!!

Only 5?  I hope my D is included in that number.  I could make it 6 if a D
can tow a D, Black Beauty is out of comission at the moment.  Let me guess
the names:

1. Me
2. Rich A.
3. Joey M.
4. Jack P.
5. Mike C.

Am I close?

Bernie
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:08:39 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: High-performance radiator fans

Toby,

It's great to see another new, operationally improved product hit the
market for the DeLorean, but the part I like best is that it has been
TESTED before it is being offered for sale (on your own car, no less)
and it has proven itself in a DeLorean, driven daily, on the road.

There are a few recently released products for sale for the DeLorean
that have had little or no testing to back up the product and it is
the DeLorean owner that pays the price, even if the product ends up
being replaced "under warranty", there is still labor each time you
have to remove and replace the item under warranty (at no charge?).
Parts reliability issues only perpetuate old DMC reliability issues.

Yes, tested parts can and do fail also, but I much rather have road
tested parts in my DeLoreans vs. non-tested parts, OEM specs or not.

Keep up the good work and the good science (behind the scenes).

(slightly biased)

Contract Automotive Component Test Engineer
for Motorola Automotive Components Division

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:20:35 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

VB - I'm not sure that I am grasping where you want to place these
horizontal fans.  Perhaps you can either sketch something up, or
annotate a photo, and send it to me off-list at toby(at)delorean-
parts.com, and I can offer some feedback.  In addition, you said that
you'd like more information on the new radiator fans.  Are there
specific questions, or are you just wanting to see that last data
point, and then get similar data from John?  Let me know.  Thanks.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

>> I would be interested to know more about these Toby.

>> One of the modifications I would like to do when I finish my time

machine replic is that I want to mount two small horizontal fans at

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: black decorative plugs

I got mine from PJ Grady..  Cheap part, it always bugs
me when I see them missing.

They cover the seat belt bolt holes...

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:37:51 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

As much as I appreciate DeLorean clubs making money, dude this is a rip-off.
I just bought a set of the same type fans for my car at $29 apiece. Good
luck trying to pass this deal off on any DeLorean owners here.

Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:47:51 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Carcoon vs CarCapsule (long)

People who have experience with both Carcoon and CarCapsule (as I do)
will tell you that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the two.
Anyone can put fans on a bag and say it's the same, but's just not
true. The sellers of the CarCapsule (at last report, made in Mexico,
but possibly now in Korea) simply took a Carcoon and have had inferior
copies made.

Carcoon features two, triple filtered fans (two dust filters and one
carbon activated filter each) and substantially better materials used
in the zippers, base and tops. Each winter we would replace a dozen or
so CarCapsules for people whose units had cracked in cold weather or
actually trapped moisture inside the units.

The base material on the indoor units is a very heavy gauge rubberized
plastic that has been treated to resist oil, fuel and hydraulic fluid.
CarCapsule is not. The clear plastic material for the tops of the
indoor units is made from a specially treated plastic material to
resist cold cracking, and at the same time, "lose" the wrinkles in the
material giving it a more clear view of what's inside. I've seen some
of the CarCapsules at shows that look worse than a linen shirt that's
been slept in.

The drying vent on the Carcoon allows for two-stage usage. In drying
mode, the rear vent is open, and the car is "air-dried" in 24-48
hours, including all the moisture areas that you can't get dry after
the car is washed. Once dry, close the vent and the recirculated air
within the unit keeps the car free of moisture by gradually changing
the temperature of the air within. Gradual temperature changes (and
not just blowing nearly unfiltered air in a bag, as with CarCapsule)
are the key to keeping moisture off the car. And how does the gradual
temperature change happen? With the two fans, and the plenum chamber
in the filter housings that allows for the recirculation of the air
already within the unit.

But the filtered fans are where the difference in performance is most
apparent. It takes two fans to adequately circulate the air all but
the smallest units (the BikeBubbles) and a total of four dust filters
ensure a nearly completely dust-free environment. The inner carbon
activated filters (two) filter the recirculated air within the unit,
cosntantly improving the air within the unit.

The DeLorean that won the Millennium Concours in 1999 in St. Louis was
put in a Carcoon shortly after the show and not touched until May of
2005 when it was prepared for the 2005 Millennium show...where it won
again.

Note that all of the above applies to the INDOOR units, the outdoor
units are even more robust and protective.

And before you say that I sell them...I don't anymore. We sold them
for several years, until the exchange rate and shipping expense (they
are handmade in England) went up so much that we could no longer
afford to sell them without a significant price increase. You may be
able to import one from http://www.carcoon.co.uk - but I have none in
stock and don't expect to have any for the foreseeable future.

James

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:15:59 -0400
From: "Bernie Manderville" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle

Brent.

Damn, they did a serious job on the car, be on the lookout for parts, like
knee pads, a radio, seat, carpets, etc.  And what is that mess in the relay
compartment?

You have some serious fiberglass damage around the glove compartment.  But
I'm glad you got it back, is anything missing in the engine compartment?

Bernie
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

maybe you can change the date??  Oct 1 is the DMA fall
tour.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:24:26 -0700
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Hood vins?

If, however, you look at the production chronology here:
http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinlst.pdf
you will see that there is no clear delineation for when cars stopped
having flapped hoods installed.

For instance, according to the Concours manual, my car, VIN 3034 should
have a flap, but it does not. Could it have been changed over after it
was sold? Maybe, but I have no service record of it in the files that
came with the car, and my car is not alone in it's range in not having a
flap. I think that the factory had both types for awhile in August '81,
and used whichever came up at the time.

---Jeff---
VIN 3034

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:38:12 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Carcoon for a Delorean

I have to admit, those seem pretty cool and it might be good for winter
because it looks like it
would have a greenhouse effect and keep it nice and warm too...but might be
bad in the summer.
If you want to have some fun, just wash the car with some seeds, and make a
DeLorean Chia pet!
- VB

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:37:59 -0400
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

Actually, having the officer(s) over may be a very good idea.  I would bet
they are not as familiar with the De Lorean as they could be.  You guys
could show them a few things so they know better what to look for if this
event ever happens again in their area.

They could also get an up close and personal look at the car, for example
what the seats look like, which may help other owners in the future.  Maybe
they could offer you guys some tips as well about how to make the car more
secure.

Greg

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:52:05 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

Another thing I would be interested in learning is the last VIN to have
the locking gas cap (3472 has no flap, but does have a locking cap)

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:01:08 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Damn Brent.  They gutted the hell out of the inside.  Well all is not lost.
Atleast we all stick together in times of crisis.  If I was close by I'd
offer up my services to get her looking sharp again.

What did those idiots do rip out the speakers from the top!?

Atleast you're insurance is most likely to pay for the parts and labor and I
know if it goes to a shop like DMC that it will come back good as new!

Honestly, I think you're quite lucky beause it looks like it was in the
beginning stages of being stripped.  To me the carnage doesn't look like
they knew what they were doing so they coulda done alot more damage had they
had more time.

Best of luck and keep us all posted!!

Jeff in NC

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:15:01 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: AC door vents needed

Marc,

Yes, the computer is also the sound system.  It is still a work in  progress
and of course a labor of love. We all know about those  right!

I plan to install an AC vent in the drivers side, right hand knee  pad and
the passenger side knee pad.  It would be nice to get a set of door  vents so
they match the others.

Having the computer control the HVAC is not that hard but I am still  working
on the driving / trip computer, GPS, rear view monitor, and yes the  audio
system.
Not to mention a custom escution to make the install look more  professional.

Because it's a real PC the uses are limited only by the  imagination.....
(and like most PCs it has some bugs in it too.)

Thanks for the feedback.

Dē & 6530

Message: 13
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:00:18 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Just  got to looking at the photo..  Nice install.  I assume the
computer is also your sound system?

Where do you plan on putting  the vents now?

Maybe you can write some software on the car-puter to  control the
HVAC, then remove the stock controls and have that space for  vents
and other things.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:14:33 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The problem with things like hoods and gas caps is that they are
easily swapped between cars. I've heard of cases where original
buyers asked the dealer to swap hoods from one type to another, dark
for light wheels, etc. The dealers at the time didn't really care
about the sanctity of VIN issues, they were trying to sell cars. I've
also seen people recently swap hoods to get one type or another.
Unless you've had the car from initial delivery, and can be 100% sure
it was not on the other end of an earlier buyer asking the dealer to
swap parts, anything can be on any car.

There is also a factory bulletin referenced a few days ago that
explains that the locking gas caps were to be "used until stock is
depleted", even on non-flap hoods, so there is undoubtedly no
accurate record of when that actually occurred.

Dave Swingle

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:48:41 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Oh yeah?
Which fans are these?
Do they bolt right up to the radiator or do you need to fabricate a mount?
I know the fans I got from Hervey were simply a single fan in a metal
housing, and he tac welded them together and they just so happen to fit
right in there and line up.
- VB

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:59:33 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Data wise, I want to know if your fans out perform the stock fans.
I want the sort of airflow that will suck the car forward like a jet! - hee
hee.

The horizontal fans I mentioned, would fit on top of the deck lid over the
vents
and blow the hot air ouot of the engine bay and out the back of the large
metal
vents as seen on the Back To The Future Time Machine.
This way, the large metal vents on the back would be functional and keep the
deck lid with all the props mounted on it cooler when idling in parades.

We have all seen the heat mirage in our rear view mirrors at the stop light,
my rear deck lit gets so hot I can't even touch it to open it.

...it was just an idea.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:19:56 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle

They even stole your fuses huh? Tough luck, looks like quite a mess-
but great it's been found. Did the police/detectives get any prints
from inside the car? I'm surprised they didn't take anything thats
actually worth money. I'm curious, what is that you have in place of
the digital clock? You've got a good bunch of things to be fixed, but
we're all happy for you! -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:11:03 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

Bernie Said:
 >I could make it 6 if a D can tow a D

See www.IN2TIME.com
Note: The pop-up on the site (which most of you probably have blocked) is
for a free stainless steel clock. It's safe.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:04:24 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

Steve Said:
 >we need to have a party/semi-tech session to
 >celebrate the return of [Brent's] D.

I'll volunteer my home/garage (the scene of the pre-crime tech session) for
the party/semi-tech session. We just don't need any post-tech-session
reenactments (NOT Laughing).

I'll even try to be there myself this time  ;-)  (For those of you who don't
understand this, I volunteered the use of my garage (with lift) for the tech
session in Washington with Rob Grady - even though I had to be in Southern
California that week).

I hear that the session was great, but (the day of the tech session) I was
enjoying the sun and fun at the Coastline Classics car show near Newport
Beach.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:59:00 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Bob's AC problems.

Videobob: You may notice your car running hotter due to the current
draw of the AC system. The needle of my temp gauge moves higher with
the AC on, even higher when the lights are on, and higher still with
the addition of the heater fan. I can watch the gauge move up and down
the instant I turn on or off my lights. Perhaps this is what you're
noticing with the AC, if not; I don't see a way that the engine would
run hotter with AC running, it should run cooler. The belt broke
because something caused the compressor or clutch to seize. I'm just
getting to this post now, so I'm not sure what you've replaced so far.
If you have reoccurring AC problems then perhaps you should get a new
or known good used compressor to install. Do you have oil in the AC
system-how much-what kind? Do you have a small leak somewhere that is
allowing the oil to drain out of the AC system? When is the last time
you changed the orifice and did a pressure test? These are all things
to check out. If you know for a fact that the compressor/shaft/clutch
is good, then there must be a blockage of some kind somewhere in your
system. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:05:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Shameless Plugs??

Jeff,

I am told you are now (or soon will be working for)
DMCF??  Is this true?

http://www.entermyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1765

Because, I can't help but notice how much you have
been promoting DMCH/DMCF in the past 2 weeks.  If you
are now working for them, I think it is only fair that
you identify yourself as such.  In some ways it will
even add credibility to your technical advice.

Marc

<SNIP>