Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2876
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:20 Sep 2005 16:20:49 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. RE: Shameless Plugs??
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

4. Re: Hood vins? (locking gas cap)
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Driving With Doors Open
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

6. Re: 3.8 liter GM engines
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

7. RE: Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Cooling Fan Rebuttal
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Re: AC door vents needed
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

11. Re: Car Cover (cheap)
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

12. DCS Magazine Fall 2005 issue
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Re: Carcoon vs CarCapsule (long)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

15. Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

16. Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

18. Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

19. Re: Re: Loud Ticking Noise
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

20. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

21. Embroidered Steering Wheel Pad
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>

22. Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

23. Re: Driving With Doors Open
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

24. Calendar Pictures Needed
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:16:02 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Bob's AC problems.

I see the opposite - I've noticed on my car that the temp gauge
actually reads lower with the A/C on than with it off. It's not an
electrical drop issue, I can see the temp rise and fall slowly. If
turning on the air heats the engine temp appreciably you have other
problems.

In my case I have the fans wired to run continuously with the A/C
turned on (they do not cycle with the compressor clutch), and I'm
running a slightly cooler thermostat (by accident). This means that
with the A/C on I'm actually overcooling the engine a bit. I'm now
running the aftermarket 3-core radiator, but a NOS OEM unit (that
started leaking after 6 years) was the same way.

You could also have a radiator problem. If it is the original radiator
you should replace it, even if it isn't leaking. Many of the originals
are plugged up from prior neglect and just don't cool well.

Dave Swingle

buy my other car......
http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/2466forsale.html

>> Videobob: You may notice your car running hotter due to the current
>> draw of the AC system. The needle of my temp gauge moves higher with
>> the AC on, even higher when the lights are on, and higher still with
>> the addition of the heater fan. I can watch the gauge move up and

down

>> the instant I turn on or off my lights. Perhaps this is what you're
>> noticing with the AC, if not; I don't see a way that the engine would
>> run hotter with AC running, it should run cooler. The belt broke
>> because something caused the compressor or clutch to seize. I'm just
>> getting to this post now, so I'm not sure what you've replaced so

far.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:19:05 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Shameless Plugs??

I WAS offered a job with DMC(Florida) and unfortuantely after spending a
week working in the shop I was unable to relocate permanatley due to
financial reasons.  I have the standing offer with the company if I can get
everything straightened out and will MOST LIKELY be trying to make the move
again when the summer comes around and my fiance can make the move with me.

I have always been a big supporter of DMC but if you recall have also
plugged Special T Auto parts as well.  I have had great experiences with
both companies.

Jeff in NC

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:22:12 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

I am sure Chris does Superior work,but come on you are making vin 570
sound like it was sitting in a field somewhere,(which technically it
was before I got it)when it fact it was stored indoors(and with a car
cover over it) from day one,until  it was sold,it NEVER ever saw the
outside world until it left my hands!!! (appox 15yrs)and then it was
stored 15 feet above earth(second floor),(all my "Ds" were
permanently stored indoors)any Physical damage(passenger door) was
done by the P.O.and I had a mint door for it's replacement(on a donor
car),the only "damage" I did was accidentally crack the
windshield,the SS panels were perfect,the Qpanels WERE NOT the
permanent panels(and not the originals(those were still on the donor
car or stored) and given with the car(s)the frame was a perfect MINT
0 rust perfect straight(as new)Interior was as I got it minus removal
of seats and carpet(stored away)If you saw it as I got it,yes then
you could/would have said, it could have been a parts car(same with
vin 16686,now a mint show style car) Any "butchering"/Damage was done
by the previous P.O.
Vin 570 had/has a perfect mint SS on the nose,drivers door was
perfect,pass door had damage(by the p.o.lower area,repairable by
Chris,me I was going to replace)the temporary Q panels had
some "nicks",but easily removable/repairable,but again those that
were on the car when taken were NOT supposed to be the perament
panels,the Black body was  very Clean,with no damage,Yes the car
needed completion,as I was doing a ground up restore,and the drive
train was not installed,(and started before removal,ran excellent)but
at one point in time,I was having problems with my local town hall,
(because of a bad renter in part of the building)and at the time by
local code I was NOT allowed to do major automotive work in my
building,(as they planned to break the door(s) down and enter)so I
hastily put the black body on the frame,and just bolted the (the
temp. Q panels) on as to make all cars look as stored cars(allowed by
local code),then never got back to finish, where I had left off.(Then
sold in that state)

If he is making it into a Turbo car,that's great news!! But Again
like vin 16686, vin #00570 would not be around today to be
completed,had I not done a partial restore,and a full restore on
16686.But I needed to do a quick sale as I had to give the place to
the new owner,and had no place to store them,and would not EVEN think
about storing them outdoors,so I sold rather than watch them rot
outside.Otherwise it would have become another completed car as I did
with vin 16686(back in 1988 and still going strong today,a testament
to my workmanship).As I had ALL parts(and then some) to make it into
a showcar,which I was planning to do,but never completed.The car(s)
left as described above,I cannot say,what the condition it was after
it left my hands,or if parts were exchanged for lessor parts,BUT the
only real damage was on the pass door/nicks on Qpanels/cracked
windshield,otherwise a very easy car to assemble only.Since I had the
SS parts,it was assembly ONLY for me.Wiring was unbutchered/dash
untouched by me(mint)except someone had already taken the radio.Black
body was very clean,along with the frame.
All parts were there to complete.I had well over 200 hours into the
car when sold.
CBL

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:13:40 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Hood vins? (locking gas cap)

Hi Michael,

My car vin 3810 has hood lines, but no gas flap. It came with a
locking gas cap. Its a September 1981 - date on passenger headliner
is September 15th 1981.

It also has the old style door locks, fender mounted antennae, and is
missing the front end recall with the re-enforcing brackets on the
frame extension.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael C. Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> Another thing I would be interested in learning is the last VIN to

have

>> the locking gas cap (3472 has no flap, but does have a locking cap)

just the

have

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:18:43 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Driving With Doors Open

Assuming my daughter lets me (and that's a big IF), I'll be
participating in the high school homecoming parade around the track at
the football field.  Each year the prom queen and court rides in a
parade of convertables before the game.  The plan is to join the
parade with the doors up, at basically an idle speed.  Would this
cause any problems with alignment, break any parts, etc.  Of course my
daughter will be hiding in the stands.  Hey, maybe I'll put on a white
wig and lab coat too and surprise her, I wonder if that would be a
problem, she'll probably stand up and yell "Hey everyone, that's my
Dad", what do you think??   :)   Actually the most fun will be riding
along with a few Ferrari's, and NOBODY NOTICING THE FERRARI's!!!!

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:06:46 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: 3.8 liter GM engines

I can't answer why they would think 3.8 liter specifically, but JZD  worked
for GM for ages.  It's probably a rumor that spread like wildfire,  stemming
from that, and was accepted as gospel-like truth at some point.

...you have to admit it, though... a 3.8 GM would be nice.  :3

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:33:37 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Bob's AC problems.

I recently replaced the high pressure hose and R12, but nothing else.
I believe we added some oil but I don't know how much or what kind, a friend
did it for me.

While the belt was off, I could spin both the inner and outer parts of the
compressor freely.
The pullys are recent and spin freely also.
I have no explination for why the belt shredded, I had replaced it on the
way back from
Pigeon Forge when one of the pullys failed and killed the belt, it was not
long after
that my other belt did the same thing.
So they were both new.

I put a new belt on and everything worked fine.
I know I am having some sort of problem with the AC because the compressor
does not
cycle on and off while in operation, it just stays on all the time.
I have both fans wired to run all the time while the key is on (bypassed the
otterstat).
I also recently replaced the thermostat, and flushed the entire cooling
system, replaced hoses
and filled it with coolant.
Still, the car runs at the halfway mark, I haven't measured the actual temp
yet.

There is so much I need to do to this friggin car, I need to replace trhe
shift computer,
and I know I have an exhaust leak at the manifold, and I need to replace the
CV boots too,
not to mention the Flux Capicitor is on the fritz.
...just one of those days.
- VB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:36:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cooling Fan Rebuttal

Dave,

Ouch,  your note below is pretty harsh, eh?  "Rip
off"?  Toby is not a "club" he's a vendor who sells
lots of DeLorean related products.   There are plenty
of people out there selling stuff for way more than
what you can get it for from other sources, but the
time it takes to research and test the product for our
cars is certaintly worth something.

Toby is a class act and I think that your comments go
too far and are unfair.

Tom Watkins

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:37:51 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: High-performance radiator fans

As much as I appreciate DeLorean clubs making money,
dude this is a
rip-off.
I just bought a set of the same type fans for my car
at $29 apiece.
Good
luck trying to pass this deal off on any DeLorean
owners here.

Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:24:20 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have an aftermarket metal radiator, and aftermarket fans, etc.. etc..
I would prefer to return everything to stock if I thought it would help.
I have heard all sorts of suggestions but have not figured out the solution
yet.
- VB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:44:52 -0400
From: "Steven L. Alves" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Re: Re: AC door vents needed

I did the same thing with the same model touchscreen monitor. Mine is
mounted on the passenger knee pad. Let me know if you want to compare any
notes on software etc.. I was able to keep the sound system with Sirius Sat
and have XM Sat on the computer.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:02:24 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Car Cover (cheap)

In a message dated 9/18/2005 5:07:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
BUDGE sells one at Wal-Mart real cheap and it works great.>>

I disagree. I went cheap and got one. The sucker will blow off in a stiff
wind. Plus it fpartially froze to the car in the winter.  When I peeled it off,
part of my fascia paint stayed with the cover.  :-(
Wayne

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:45:19 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Magazine Fall 2005 issue

The next issue of DCS magazine is being put together now. If you wish to
submit an article please feel free to do so as we are still accepting articles
for this issue and the next issue.

We plan to ship the magazine towards the end of October. It may slip a  bit
if we do not get the special video DVD's in on time.

The Chicago group has put together a video highlighting Chicago and the DCS
show for next June and it will be included in the magazine.  So if you want
your copy and have not signed up for the magazine now is the time.

_www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

The raffle car is getting some work done this week and is way ahead of the
last Raffle car.
We drive it regularly and it is a pleasure to drive.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:36:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Carcoon vs CarCapsule (long)

This is what the site says;

Thank you for visiting Carcoon America, a division of DeLorean Motor Company
800-854-6087 Toll Free or outside the US 281-441-2537 E-mail: sales_at_dml_carcoon.com

????
Chris

James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:
-----
And before you say that I sell them...I don't anymore. We sold them
for several years, until the exchange rate and shipping expense (they
are handmade in England) went up so much that we could no longer
afford to sell them without a significant price increase. You may be
able to import one from http://www.carcoon.co.uk - but I have none in
stock and don't expect to have any for the foreseeable future.

James

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Mine's the same way, but my fans cycle with the compressor (stock setup).  The car essentially runs at its "highway" temperature (just a couple needle's width cooler on the gauge) due to all the extra air being blown over the radiator.  My accessories never seem to have any heightening effect on the coolant temp.  Like Dave, the effect was the same on the original radiator and the new all-brass one.

When my dirty evaporator sent me in circles with my A/C, I learned quite a bit in the process.  To Bob: Marc is right about those pressure gauges.  They are really the only way to know what's going on.  I think I remember you blowing a hose once.  This could indicate a restriction in the system, or not enough air flow over the condenser.  Oh, and make sure that evaporator is clean!   ;-)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:45:05 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle

I'm happy to also hear she lives.  What were those thieves thinking?
Who would want any of the DMC guts besides a DMC owner.  I would think
these parts would be difficult to off load due to the uniqueness of this
car.  I agree- be on the lookout.

Now on the "try to see the sunshine" side, you have the chance to create
your own version of the 2005 DeLorean.  I liked many of the interior
options that were shown at the Pigeon Forge last year.  However as my
care is 99% original, I cant justify slowly gutting it.  But you can  :-)

This is the opportunity to show the list the rebirth of 892.

Just my 2 cents.....

Jason

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:43:30 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Jeesh,

Are the 80's era Craig speakers really worth punching holes in the
dash for?

Really, the thieves must have been idiots, the items they stole are
totally useless for them to resell to anyone BUT a Delorean owner.
Except if you had an aftermarket radio at the least.

The rest are Delorean specific, and the way they ravaged the fuse
panel, stole even the fuses, and ripped the rear speaker covers apart.

Best of luck getting this fixed, I would highly recommend taking MANY
HQ pictures and mailing them to a few Delorean vendors, and getting a
price to fix it all, plus the transport fees to & from the shop.

Hey, that is why we pay for insurance, occasionally we get to use it.
Sadly it had to come to this in your case. But, you got the car back,
and it is fixable.

Guess you'll be parking this inside afterwards huh?

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:14:16 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>
Subject: Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...

That somebody was me. The cruise control systems I tried (Audiovox
and Dakota Digital) required a ground to be present through the wire
that connects to the brake light switch when the switch was not
active. Regular bulbs will present this ground to the wire through
the filament of the bulb. LEDs have such a high impedance that there
is virtually no ground present on the wire anymore.

Adding an LED 3rd light to a system with conventional bulbs still in
the brakelight sockets will work fine, since the regular bulbs are
conducting to ground.

The solution for changing the regular brake light bulbs to LEDS is
to install a relay in the brake light wire which will toggle between
a known ground reference when off and the +12v of the brakelight
circuit when the pedel is pressed. I am in the process of
documenting how I did this and will post the scheme soon.

Marty Galbreath

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_w...> wrote:

>> I dont know exactly. Somebody on this list had a problem with the

LED

>> replacement bulbs making the cruise not work. I have cruise

installed

>> on my delorean and have a 3rd LED brake light with no problems.
>>
>> Mark V

set of

planned

conflict

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:01:34 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Bob,
     Aren't you missing the fan shroud around the radiator fans?
This is probably the issue as you are losing airflow that could
channeled right to the fans if the shroud was in place.  By shroud I
mean the black plastic piece that goes around the fans.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:28:59 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Loud Ticking Noise

Come on down, but wait for the hurricane to leave.
Warren at DMC

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:04:10 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

VB

One of the very interesting benefits of my BTTF conversion is that the
engine compartment stay really cool.

The exhaust fins are center over the headers with hole in the engine
cover so air will be sucked out the fins and vent the hot air in the
engine compartment.

These work EXTREMELY well, the engine compartment, even on hot days
does not get over 120 F.

You can sit at idle and watch the hot air come out the top of the fins.

I not saying you should add BTTF fins to your car, but.......

BOB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:28:14 -0000
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Embroidered Steering Wheel Pad

Some time ago I saw a steering wheel pad on ebay that had DMC
embroidered on it.  Was this a one-of-a kind, or are they available
out there somewhere?

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:21:04 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

The fact that the car was gone as long as it was, and only suffered some
interior gutting kind of leads me to believe the thieves didn't really know
what the car was in the first place, and they gave up on it when they
figured out there wasn't really a market for many of the parts. If they had
known what it was and which parts were most valuable, then the thieves
probably wouldn't have destroyed the upper dash as it is a scarce part..
The left front fender would probably be missing as well..  From the fact
that the original recovery email said other cars were found there that had
been stolen more recently, and had been comletely gutted kinda tells me
that the thieves just abandoned the D in favor of cars that they could more
easily unload parts from..

Chris
VIN# 3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:46:49 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Driving With Doors Open

It won't hurt your suspension, but if your car has a tendency to
overheat, hope for a cool day.

-------------- Original message from "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:08:18 -0400
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Calendar Pictures Needed

Hey all,

I am still looking for a few good DeLorean pictures to use in the making
of a 2006 DeLorean wall calendar. These need to be fairly high
resolution pictures. Please send any pictures you want considered to
calendar at babbtechnology.com and you may be able to see your D in a
calendar!

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have,

Michael
VIN 3472
mcb at babbtechnology.com

( I am doing this basically because I want to.  There is also a DeLorean
calendar available by the makers of Gullwing Magazine
(http://gullwingmagazine.com/))

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:54:59 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

Bob, everyone keeps asking you this but you never answer it.  What are
your HIGH and LOW pressures!?!?!?

You blew a high pressure hose, probably because the high pressure was
too high.

Your engine heats up with the AC on?  Simple reason...  Have you ever
felt the high pressure hose leaving the compressor?  Its HOT!!!  This
hot gas is going into the condensor which is in FRONT of your
radiator.  When your AC is on you have much hotter air travelling
through your radiator and thus is has less cooling capacity.  The
higher the pressure, the higher the temperature of the condensor.
Your probably running so high that the condensor is heating the air to
220.  And if the air going through the radiator is 220, thats the
coldest your engine can get.

You say your friend replaced the high pressure hose and replaced the
R12.  How much R12 did he put in there?  What method did he use to
fill?  Was the whole system completely vaccumed down before hand?  Was
the system flushed?  What were the pressure readings after everything
was done?

Other posts mentioning a possible blockage are probably correct.
Either that or too much R12 in the system.  The pressures are where
you must start though.  Give us those readings.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnsota DeLorean Club
DMC6960