Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2877
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:20 Sep 2005 19:36:24 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. motor oil
From: "aringue" <aringue_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. RE: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

14. Re: Trip to see a Gold DeLorean this Saturday?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: motor oil
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. Re: Driving With Doors Open
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

17. Re: Cat removal
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

18. Re: Driving With Doors Open
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

19. Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

20. Re: Driving With Doors Open
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: Driving With Doors Open
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

22. Re: Cat removal
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

23. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Re: Re: Cat removal
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:45:39 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cat removal

Hi all.

I am having som exhaust work done tomorrow and I am going to ask the
shop to fabricate a delete pipe for the catalytic converter.  This
way, I will be able to add the cat for emissions testing and have it
removed most other times.

Is there anything I should do to tune the car for the lower
restriction. Is there any case against doing this?

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:01:39 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Carcoon vs CarCapsule (long)

Okay, you got me! Now call and try to order one. The answer you will
get is that we no longer have any available, and don't expect to
receive any more.

If the exchange rate shifts, or for some other reason the price drops
dramatically (a move offshore for production - long hoped for, even I
went to visit a Carcoon manufacturing candidate in China last year),
then that may change. There are no Carcoons to be had in the USA from
DMC or any other source that I am aware. Another great product not
available in the States.

James

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> This is what the site says;
>>
>> Thank you for visiting Carcoon America, a division of DeLorean Motor

Company

>> 800-854-6087 Toll Free or outside the US 281-441-2537 E-mail: sales_at_dml_c...
>>
>> ????
>> Chris
>>
>> James Espey <james_at_dml_d...> wrote:
>> -----
>> And before you say that I sell them...I don't anymore. We sold them
>> for several years, until the exchange rate and shipping expense (they
>> are handmade in England) went up so much that we could no longer
>> afford to sell them without a significant price increase. You may be
>> able to import one from http://www.carcoon.co.uk - but I have none in
>> stock and don't expect to have any for the foreseeable future.
>>
>> James

of the

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:28:36 -0000
From: "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>
Subject: Re: Driving With Doors Open

Hello!  I'd appreciate a little more information on this.  I'd like
to drive my D in a local parade, and I'm concerned not about the
suspension, but about the body.  Start by assuming that my car's
chassis is in good condition and not rusted or damaged.  Will driving
at five mph on a well paved road cause excessive flexure of the GRP
underbody or stainless skins, which is likely to cause cracked glass,
or damage the underbody or skins?  Has anyone personal experience
driving in a parade with both doors open?
Thanks in advance,
NM

-------

track at

course my

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:35:43 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 3.8 liter GM engines

I think I have figured out that the common confusion about a "Ford V8" was
caused by DeTomaso's use of a Ford V8 in the Pantera, an exotic italian
import of which they made less than 10,000
and had rather slow sales and was dropped as some what of a "failure".
The car had a reputation for being too expensive and was scoffed at for
being an Italian exotic
with an American Ford engine rather than a Ferrari, BMW or other european
engine.
I have always wanted a Pantera and may get one someday....
- VB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:22:14 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

Federal Law comes to mind...I'd be surprised if a commercial shop will
do this.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:38:31 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Cooling Fan Rebuttal

I don't know what fans Toby is selling, and I don't know what fans Dave is
buying, but decent
high powered electric fans are pretty expensive.
Even the generic single fans at the auto store are about $75 each.
So I could see the cost of the two fans being in the $150 - $200 range, that
coupled
with assembly so they will directly fit into our cars and a mild profit
margin....I can see $300.00.
- VB

=

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:50:17 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.

I have responded to this and many of the other arguments before....YES, the
shroud is missing,
yes the fans were replaced, etc....
My argument is that this is the way it was LAST summer, this is the way it
was when I drove
it to Pigeon Forge and it was FINE and cool.
I sat in 100 degree traffic in Dallas and never once overheated the car and
it ran cool.
Explain that.
- VB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:48:04 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Car Cover (cheap)

I am wondering if you had the same cover that I am talking about, maybe they
have changed them or the regional supply is different?
The material they use for the BUDGE covers is basically the same stuff they
use for a hazmat suit.
I have a motorcycle rain suit made out of the same stuff.
It is thin and very soft and will not scuff the surface, it is just oo light
weight of a cloth.
The whole thing wads up into a little ball and stuffs in a bag the size of a
basketball.
It is breathable but completely water proof. The material itself could not
freeze.
Also, you may have one size too large on your car, although these are not
form fitting and
are a little baggy. I think this helps to concel the identity of the car.
There are plastic grommet holes in the center of the edge of the cover that
you are
supposed to use a bunjie cord to connect from under the car.
Once you do this the cover is NOT coming off.
I have used one of these for years without a problem.
I used to use it mostly when a hail storm would come, I would cover my car
with
goose down comforters, blankets and even pillows and then put the cover over
it
and bunjie it together, after the storm both the cover itself and everything
underneath
would be bone dry. For the money you just can't get a better cover.
I think they are something like $29 or so.
- VB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:01:03 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: lowering front end

I've noticed that P.J. Grady sells the Eibach spring kit as well as a
Front Spring only kit.  I'm wondering opinions on this..  Also,
I'm wondering if I have to have both front and back aligned if I
replace only the front springs.
Dale Funk

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:10:26 -0000
From: "aringue" <aringue_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: motor oil

What weight motor oil is everyone using for their D's.  I have been
told to use a heavy oil

Ray

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:53:56 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: RECOVERED in Seattle

If my theory about a new owner stealing the car for parts holds water, then
there is a good chance that this thief may have priced out some of these
very items with some of the vendors.
Maybe they will remember if someone inquired about some of these parts?
- VB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:09:53 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Bob's AC problems.

This is correct BUT it still shouldn't make the car run as hot as it
does. The radiator, fans, etc. set-up is efficient to pull through
enough air to cool the car and condenser at the same time-this is why
for many of us the car runs cooler with the AC on. The aluminum
condenser doesn't get blazing hot like the radiator -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:32:44 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I'm sure you've checked and made sure you have no coolant
leaks.
What kind of tank are you using, the plastic or metal one? Do you
need to fill the tank every so often or does it stay full? When is
the last time you've replaced the water pump? The following could
be
your problem, so I figure I would mention it. I have a metal tank,
and after a while my cap didn't seal anymore and my car ran
halfway
on the gauge. I finally found that it was the cap-so I took the
rubber seal off a similar cap and put it on the cap I was using so
there were 2 seals [double the thickness], and it's fine now
[yeah
yeah I'll get the correct cap one of these days]. Try this: after
driving your car go into the engine bay and [with leather gloves]
squeeze the long hoses that go to the water pump-if there is
little/no pressure in the hoses, or the pressure is all gone after
10-20 minutes of driving your car-you've either got a leak or bad
cap. If you want to rule out the cap for sure then purchase a rubber
expansion plug (readily available at advance auto or other auto
stores], put it into the neck of the tank, expand it and run the car
to test it.

For the AC, drain and flush out the entire system; you gotta get
whatever crud and debris you may have out of the system; and then
replace the orifice and accumulator. A good shop that does AC will
drain and flush it for you at reasonable price if you don't want
go through the trouble. The clutch on the AC compressor will run the
entire time you have the AC on [at least mine does] unless one of
the pressure switches cuts it off (very rare-only happens to me if I
have the AC on and blower fan off). Shouldn't run the whole time
the
car is running with AC off-make sure you don't have a wire
connected
to the wrong place on the mode switch. If you've been refilling
the
system yourself, be sure to vacuum it out for a good long time
before filling-as forgetting this step will cause problems in the
system as well. John Hervey has the oil amounts to fill the
compressor with on his site which you will need if you flush out the
system. I'm not sure about R-12, but some R134 comes with oil
mixed
in with the refrigerant so it is very easy to over fill the system
with oil. If you don't care what kind of refrigerant you use,
convert to R-134 and get the recharge kit from Advance. It comes
with a gauge and all that but you still need to determine how much
oil and refrigerant goes in the system. Only thing you'll need to
convert is the R134 adaptor for the low side. I have one, it's a
right angle and I never used it; if you want it-it's yours all
you
need to give me for it is info on where to send it. You could still
use this to hook up a gauge if you don't want to convert.
-----Dani
B. #5003

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:16:11 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Trip to see a Gold DeLorean this Saturday?

Or would it be better to wait until the day of the drive-in BTTF
showing in Bowie and we all see the Gold DeLorean then "convoy" to the
movie?

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:54:58 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: motor oil

The manual calls for 20W50 in any temp above (I think) 30F. I've seen
lots of people run 10W30 because that's what they run in all their
cars. I've not really heard of a problem with this either, but most of
these cars are not getting driven hundreds of thousands of miles. It's
most important to keep the level up and change it once in a while, at
least yearly even if you seldom drive the car.

I use either (conventional) 20W-50 or (synthetic) Mobil 1 15W-50. Based
on observations tearing engines down on this and other cars, at this
point Mobil 1 or other quality synthetic is all I'll consider.

20W-50 seems pretty heavy by today's standards, but in the 1980s was
common in European engines.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:57:09 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

This is something that I have done multiple times in parades and it
does not cause any problems. Just remember to hold the door straps to
keep the doors from bouncing hard if you  hit a big bump. Other than
that just remember to have fun.
Phil Priestley

Vin 2105
IN FLUX

http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951
1(866)225-7985

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:00:02 -0000
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

I dont pretend to know the US regulations, but proper de-cat pipes
are available in the UK from;
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/contents.html

Chris
vin#4584

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:05:26 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Hi

Check out the bottom pic on our web page:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/forthcomingevents/forthcomingeven
ts.html

Its a regular thing that is 'done' over here, never heard of anyone
doing anything to their cars by it.

As long as the road is flat and you try and keep your speed down
below 88  :)

Regards

Yorkshire, Uk

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> Hello!  I'd appreciate a little more information on this.  I'd

like

>> to drive my D in a local parade, and I'm concerned not about the
>> suspension, but about the body.  Start by assuming that my car's
>> chassis is in good condition and not rusted or damaged.  Will

driving

>> at five mph on a well paved road cause excessive flexure of the

GRP

>> underbody or stainless skins, which is likely to cause cracked

glass,

>> or damage the underbody or skins?  Has anyone personal experience
>> driving in a parade with both doors open?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> NM

---

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:29:04 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

You are correct that the car should be able to run without
problems - assuming that the AC is running within spec.
Jim's post was pointing out a potential for higher than
normal temperatures because the AC might be running at
too high of a pressure.

-------------- Original message from "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>: --------------

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:09:22 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

I've driven quite a bit with my doors open at local events. One local
car show/parade I did 5 to 10 miles, doors open the whole time, speeds
between 5 and 15mph. So long as you drive slow, I don't think there
are any concerns.

-Ryan

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:06:58 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Sorry - I saw alignment and thought suspension.

The doors themselves are not structural in the sense that the
frame is however they do increase the rigidity of the car when
they are closed.  This is a big deal in an accident but not
at low speeds on paved roads.

It's generally not a good idea to drive around with the doors open.
Others have done it in parades without any immediate problems.
I just don't think it's worth the risk.  The doors are heavy and have
a pretty good moment arm with respect to the torsion spring mounts
at the body.  If they start bouncing around or get caught by a gust of
wind, they will stress those mounts.  If you are just on the track
it should be smooth enough to not cause any problems but wind
is still a concern.

If you just have to have the doors open, I would suggest having
someone sitting in the passenger seat to keep an eye on the door
and prevent it from bouncing around too much.  If it turns out to
be windy that day, another alternative would be to keep them
closed most of the time and make a grand(er) entrance by opening
them simultaneously as you pass the grandstand.

-------------- Original message from "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:55:49 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Matt,

The only thing I noticed after removing the cat, was the need to
readjust the idle mixture.

BOB

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:54:51 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: High-performance radiator fans

Just a comment:

My D has a 100% original cooling system, bar the expansion bottle,
recently replaced before our trip to LeMans. In 38 degree C heat, AC on
full, queueing up for over an hour in Arnage my car had no trouble
keeping the temperature to the same level that it does on a cold
miserable English day  :-)  I am all for more efficient fans to remove
some of the load on a weak electrical system, but additional flow is
(IMO) not really necessary until you start running more power and
generating more heat

Martin
#1458 (17,000 miles and counting - 14500 done since 2001)

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:49:52 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Videobob Moseley wrote:

>>One of the modifications I would like to do when I finish my time machine
>>replica
>>is that I want to mount two small horizontal fans at the base of the rear
>>vents to blow
>>engine heat out the back to keep the engine heat down and to protect the
>>props mounted
>>on the decklid from excessive heat.
>>Has anyone ever thought of venting heat with small fans from the decklid
>>this way?

Yes. The Renault Alpine GTA, GTA V6 Turbo and A610 all have solid
decklids and glass screens where our louvers are. They have a quite
intricate blower system that keeps the engine cool(er). I had one Alpine
expert look at a DeLorean engine bay and say "now that's how Renualt
should have done it!". They have lots of problems keeping things cool
when they go for higher performance - we have an open engine cover and
louvered lid, and open at the base. We have it good. Fans? Bit pointless
really on a D

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:56:09 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cat removal

That's correct. Matt, this is illegal. I'd suggest not posting about
it on a public forum... Could get you into trouble.

-Ryan